PDA

View Full Version : D&D version of beloved "Treasure Hunter"

Aleolus
2015-11-14, 11:36 AM
Hello all. I just had the urge to do this, and as I am sure it has been done before, I turn to my fellow Playgrounders for specifics and/or advice. I would like to make a 3.5 version of everyone's favorite treasure hunter extrordinaire from the Final Fantasy series, Locke!

This does not need to be an exact copy of the FF version, but should be easily recognizable as him. As for what I'm wanting, either a level by level breakdown (so I can play him at any level a given DM asks) or simply suggestions regarding order of importance for ability scores, skills to focus on, feats to take and gear to "acquire". Thanks!

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-14, 12:28 PM
Okay so we are talking about someone who has high Sleight of Hand, including the ability to pick a pocket while in combat. Open locks or Knock. Evasion. High physical stats. The rogue class and many of the prestige classes from complete scoundrel should be able to fill in most of this.

The really tough part is his Mirage Dive ability which allows him to deal magic damage when his HP is low. It reminds me a little of the Berserker Strength ACF (PH2 p33) but that is just a strength bonus not magical damage.

Aleolus
2015-11-14, 12:57 PM
Keep in mindd I said he didn't have to be an exact copy, so that last ability could probably be dropped. i mean, that ability almost never triggered for me (of course, I was also meticulous to never let a characters hp stayy low for very long, or even get low to begin with if I could help it)

DrMotives
2015-11-14, 01:06 PM
It doesn't trigger on low health, but the capstone ability for Arcane Duelist looks somewhat like that, "Flurry of Swords". It's a monk's flurry of blows, plus 1d4+3 mirage images appear and also flurry of blows the same target. The mirage images do subdual damage.

Aleolus
2015-11-15, 08:43 PM
Ok, what book is he from? Also, what would be some good feats for Locke?

DrMotives
2015-11-15, 10:04 PM
Arcane Duelist is from an online article by WotC.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a
I think this was 3.0, but I'm not sure.

KillianHawkeye
2015-11-16, 04:09 AM
To be honest, while Locke was definitely my favorite Final Fantasy thief character in the entire series, what made him unique and interesting wasn't his abilities but his personality, motivations, and story interactions. Thieves in Final Fantasy games have never really had a whole lot of special powers gong for them, so any Rogue build that covers the appropriate "treasure hunting" skills (Hide/Move Silently, Search, Sleight of Hand, Open Lock, and Disable Device; bonus style points for Appraise, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, and Use Magic Device) should do the trick.

EDIT: If you need a dump stat, pick Wisdom and/or Strength.

Aleolus
2015-11-16, 03:34 PM
As an aside, what would be the DC to pickpocket someone in combat? Regular dc to pickpocket someone is 20, I know

Drynwyn
2015-11-17, 02:00 AM
As an aside, what would be the DC to pickpocket someone in combat? Regular dc to pickpocket someone is 20, I know

By R.A.W, still 20. It never says it can't be done in combat! :smalltongue:

That said, Epic Usages lists the DC for stealing a sheathed weapon at 50, which might be relevant.