PDA

View Full Version : 5E War Domain Cleric vs Paladin

Rajah
2015-11-14, 07:33 PM
I have 2 questions, one roleplaying and one mechanical.

First, the mechanical.

-I think Paladins are one of the best melee classes in the game from what I've played (never gotten over level 10). From what I can tell, War Clerics get really nice buff spells that are reserved from paladins and they are still full casters.

To me, this marks the War Cleric as the more well-rounded class. It can melee well (but not as well as the paladin) but can also heal, buff, and be a full caster. The only weakness is skills, but even then guidance can help with that.

Am I wrong in thinking War priests are that good as an overall combatant/class? Or would something like tempest domain be better?

Second, the roleplaying.

-When I play paladins, I stay lawful good, no matter if the rules say I don't have to. I just feel like it isn't a paladin without that alignment. So can a martial/melee oriented cleric be roleplayed as similar to a paladin, meaning can I roleplay him as "Sir X, Knight of the Whatever Holy Order"? Now obviously, I can roleplay him any way I want, but I mean in keeping with the lore and feel of the cleric class. I don't think clerics have to be preaching priest and can lean towards holy warrior, but maybe I'm wrong.

Zephonim
2015-11-14, 07:51 PM
Cleric's can worship an ideal much like Paladins can

napoleon_in_rag
2015-11-15, 02:39 PM
I have 2 questions, one roleplaying and one mechanical.

So can a martial/melee oriented cleric be roleplayed as similar to a paladin, meaning can I roleplay him as "Sir X, Knight of the Whatever Holy Order"? Now obviously, I can roleplay him any way I want, but I mean in keeping with the lore and feel of the cleric class.

Totally.

I could completely see a fantasy version of the "Knights Hospitaller" admitting Paladins, Clerics, and Fighters. They would all swear the same oath but just have different abilities.

I guess this might go against 5e where the Paladin class is not directly related to a specific deity but it is fine if your DM allows it.