PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Nature Cleric + Magic Initiate + Staff of Defence

steppedonad4
2015-11-15, 02:06 AM
I think I've finally nailed down what I want to do with my Staff of Defence character. A melee-centric nature cleric. Take Shillelagh as the bonus cantrip. Take Magic Initiate and Shield & Booming Blade (not sure what the other cantrip should be since it procs off Intelligence and not Wisdom).

Cast Shillelagh on the Staff of Defence as a bonus action and then attack with it using Booming Blade. Four uses of Shield from the staff (five if you're willing to risk a 5% chance of it disintegrating).

Will this work? Have I missed anything? From what I can tell, it's all legal by RAW and should work.

Maxilian
2015-11-15, 11:13 AM
Isn't the staff of Defense made of glass? (so you can't use Shillelagh on it, unless you modify it somehow)

Note: The rest does work, i'm practically using my fighter this way

Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and EK gave me Booming Blade (and some utility spells) and its really fun to play (WIS based fighter FTW) - and i was actually hoping to get that staff but that's unlikely for me :P -

steppedonad4
2015-11-15, 04:16 PM
Isn't the staff of Defense made of glass? (so you can't use Shillelagh on it, unless you modify it somehow)

Yah :(

It's a minor technicality but one that would, by RAW, prevent casting the spell on it.