PDA

View Full Version : Most cost effective way of casting haste with items.

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 06:16 AM
Clearly, we want to use the Trapsmith version of haste for being 2 levels lower than normal. But I don't know if you can actually get higher than CL 5 for it, which means it can't be used that long in preparation.
Teflammar Shadowlord gets it as a second level spell, which allows it to be used in an eternal wand as a second level spell and still be almost useful (not really, you only get 2 turns in which you can actually use haste, but still).

Can you buy metamagic'd spells in wands and items? I'm thinking an extended Trapsmith Haste might be much more cost effective than trying to boost CL.
And Extended Teflammar Haste is the longest duration you can get on Haste on an Eternal Wand, I think.

Would it be better to just take those feats that let me apply metamagic to wands? Anyone know exactly the feats I'm talking about? Because I completely forgot their name.

Also, is there a way (perhaps a feat or something) to reduce the casting time of a wand? That would probably be absurdly powerful if one wanted to abuse it (thus I probably would have seen it here before, if it existed), but may as well ask.

paranoidbox
2015-11-15, 07:21 AM
You can make or buy wands with metamagic'd spells in them, I have read that somewhere but right now I can't immediately find the rule to quote to you. I know it's possible though.

The feat that allows you to apply your metamagic to wand spells is called Metamagic Spell Trigger from the Complete Mage.

NevinPL
2015-11-15, 09:20 AM
Well, it's also a domain spell, so you could try some DMM powered shenanigans.

TIPOT
2015-11-15, 10:18 AM
If you're being selfish, swift haste (ranger 2) is better for a low caster level.

For reducing casting time on wands I believe there is a feat which allows you to use two wands simultaneously which sort of counts.

paranoidbox
2015-11-15, 10:55 AM
For reducing casting time on wands I believe there is a feat which allows you to use two wands simultaneously which sort of counts.

Double Wand Wielder, from the Complete Arcane.

Jack_Simth
2015-11-15, 11:32 AM
Can you buy metamagic'd spells in wands and items? I'm thinking an extended Trapsmith Haste might be much more cost effective than trying to boost CL.Yes, The rule is in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#magicItemsandMetamagicSpells):
With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.

So an Extended Trapsmith's Haste, in an Eternal Wand (Magic Item Comendium page 159), counts as a 3rd level Arcane spell for costing purposes. So it'd be caster level 5, 10,900 gp, would work twice a day, and last 10 rounds.

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 12:07 PM
Yes, The rule is in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#magicItemsandMetamagicSpells):

So an Extended Trapsmith's Haste, in an Eternal Wand (Magic Item Comendium page 159), counts as a 3rd level Arcane spell for costing purposes. So it'd be caster level 5, 10,900 gp, would work twice a day, and last 10 rounds.

Thanks for the link. Extend spell is +1 spell level.

xyianth
2015-11-15, 12:24 PM
Don't forget that a trapsmith haste wand @ CL 5 costs only 3750gp for 50 charges. A metamagic wandgrip costs 6000gp and lets you apply extend spell for +1 charge per use. (You have to have the extend spell feat though.) That makes it 9750gp for 25 uses of haste that last for 1 minute each.

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 12:29 PM
Don't forget that a trapsmith haste wand @ CL 5 costs only 3750gp for 50 charges. A metamagic wandgrip costs 6000gp and lets you apply extend spell for +1 charge per use. (You have to have the extend spell feat though.) That makes it 9750gp for 25 uses of haste that last for 1 minute each.

Is that the crafting cost, rather than the purchase price? For a extended CL 3 trapsmith haste wand is 4,500 gp.

xyianth
2015-11-15, 01:36 PM
Is that the crafting cost, rather than the purchase price? For a extended CL 3 trapsmith haste wand is 4,500 gp.

No, purchase price. (1(spell level) x 5(CL) x 750) And the wandgrip is reusable, so you could keep buying wands at 3750gp per 25 uses. (comes out to 150gp/use)

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 01:39 PM
No, purchase price. (1(spell level) x 5(CL) x 750) And the wandgrip is reusable, so you could keep buying wands at 3750gp per 25 uses. (comes out to 150gp/use)

Ah, derp. lol. I was using the Extend Spell Haste price.