PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled The prophecy about Durkon's return home

Quartz
2015-11-15, 07:09 AM
The prophecy said that Durkon would bring death & destruction when he returned home, which was why he was exiled. But we know that the vampire isn't Durkon at all. So it wouldn't be Durkon returning home. So what does that mean for Durkon and the prophecy?

bertoltus
2015-11-15, 07:56 AM
The force in control of the body surely isn't durkon, but his soul is still trapped in the body to be tapped for memories. So technically, Durkon does return home.

Wildroses
2015-11-15, 09:17 AM
Durkon's body is also able to return home. Remember the other prophecy made about Durkon's return made by the Oracle. "How will I return to my beloved Dwarven homelands?" "Posthumously."

Also, the only way I can see the prophecy about Durkon bringing death and destruction to them all is if he returns home with a malevolent spirit controlling him. Durkon is a good person. Sure, he had some bad times, but it doesn't mean he gave into them. That's why he was so devastated when Durkula forced him to see he held grudges against his people.

Not to mention the only people I can see Durkon actually wanting to cause death and destruction to are the old High Priest and the two lackeys who tossed him out, and one of those three is already dead.

Mandor
2015-11-15, 09:46 AM
The force in control of the body surely isn't durkon, but his soul is still trapped in the body to be tapped for memories. So technically, Durkon does return home.

Exactly this. Whether or not it is the author's intent, or if Rich has some other curve ball up his sleeve, we do not technically know. But this definitely qualifies as a valid fulfillment of the prophecy. Also does anyone have on hand the exact quote of the prophecy? Was it that Durkon himself would bring death and destruction on them all, or, was it that Death and Destruction would descend upon them all when Durkon next returned home? It's a minor difference, but in one case Durkon is seen as the cause, in another he might be helpless or actively chasing the Death and Destruction and trying to stop them, and it would still be legit.

And this leaves aside the humorous notions people have had, like Durkon adopting a pair of puppies, naming one Death, naming the other Destruction, and then taking them off a leash when he gets home.

Eireannx
2015-11-15, 10:34 AM
Also does anyone have on hand the exact quote of the prophecy? Was it that Durkon himself would bring death and destruction on them all, or, was it that Death and Destruction would descend upon them all when Durkon next returned home?

I don't think we have a quote as such. We have the high priest of Thor telling an acolyte what the high priest of Odin told him. So you have a lot of room for ad-libbing in there.

"When next he returns home he will bring death and destruction for us all" was said. But 'us' could be the dwarven priests involved, not the dwarven people for all we know.

Macros
2015-11-15, 11:11 AM
Maybe this deserve a follow-up question, though: is that part of the prophecy already fulfilled or not?

I mean, while he certainly wants to bring death and destruction, he hasn't really done it yet (well, he brought death to a couple of clerics, and he certainly destroyed a bit of masonry, but that's pretty tame), unless it's a clever reference on the fact that as a vampire cleric, his domains are now Death and Destruction.

It's not really clear if he has come home either. He's back in the northern continent, sure, but is that enough?

Quebbster
2015-11-15, 12:15 PM
My theory is that "death and destruction" indeed refers to Hel's domains and "to us all" refers to the various high priests - remember, the prophecy was from one high priest to another. And since Durkon is on his way to Dwarven lands for the first time since his exile he is indeed "returning home".

Morquard
2015-11-15, 05:47 PM
My theory is that "death and destruction" indeed refers to Hel's domains and "to us all" refers to the various high priests - remember, the prophecy was from one high priest to another. And since Durkon is on his way to Dwarven lands for the first time since his exile he is indeed "returning home".

I don't think it refers to the priests. The High Priest of Thor is dead, has been for a few years. So Durkon didn't bring death or destruction to him. Pretty sure the High Priest of Odin is also dead. The flashbacks show him as a male dwarf, and the current High Priest is a human woman. So once again, Durkon didn't bring anything there either.

Also the prophecy states "when next he returns home" not "when next he's in the process of returning home". If the High Priest of Odin can be such a nitpicker, than I can be too :)

But I do think it refers to Hel. Death and Destruction are Hel's Domains apparently, and I would guess none of the other dwarfen gods have them. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end there's a deal with Hel, where she doesn't wanna destroy the world anymore, but she gets priests and temples and all that instead, and gets "fairly represented" and such.