PDA

View Full Version : Best Buffing and Self-Buffing class

Rajah
2015-11-15, 12:12 PM
Looking for the class that has the best and most varied amount of buff spells. I know 5E really brought buffing down to a more acceptable level, but I like being the guy that makes everyone around him better. And I also like the guy being able to buff myself and do the butt kicking when necessary.

Which class has the best buffing spells? Which class is the best at buffing themselves?

Nu
2015-11-15, 12:28 PM
Depending on party composition, the sorcerer's ability to Twin Spell buff spells can be very powerful. Two Hasted weapon-focused characters are better than one.

Overall, I think cleric has the best buffing list (and ability to cast from that list), but bard can excel at self-buffing and has bardic inspiration. Use your magical secrets to steal spells like Swift Quiver and Aura of Vitality for the best self-buffing potential.

I think it just depends on what you're looking for in a buff. I'm not sure if there's a good answer for a hands-down best class that's best at both buffing others and buffing yourself.

Shaofoo
2015-11-15, 12:39 PM
Sorcerers also have Constitution save proficiency which means that if they hit they don't lose their buffs as often as the others if they get hit.

Basically just look at the Sorcerer spell list

Do you find that the buffs the Sorcerer has is sufficient? Then go Sorcerer.

Otherwise go Bard.

Rajah
2015-11-15, 02:51 PM
What are the Bard's self-buffing spells? From what I've seen, they buff the party really well and those spells are not cast on themselves. Cleric has some nice buffs.

Kane0
2015-11-15, 03:22 PM
Bless, man. Bless.

Nu
2015-11-15, 04:40 PM
What are the Bard's self-buffing spells? From what I've seen, they buff the party really well and those spells are not cast on themselves. Cleric has some nice buffs.

Swift Quiver is a "self-buff" that allows a bow-wielding bard to lay on some serious hurt much, much earlier than the ranger gets that spell. A lore bard can grab Aura of Vitality, another "self-buff" earlier than a paladin can get it. They can buff and debuff using Bardic Inspiration dice, and have access to any spell in the game you want. Since most buffs don't stack, grabbing a key buff or two is often the best way to go about it.

Rajah
2015-11-15, 08:12 PM
How about paladin?

Bless, Crusader's Mantle, Divine Favor, Magic Weapon, Elemental weapon, etc.

Could that match a cleric? Who has Bless, Guidance, and ?

EvilAnagram
2015-11-15, 08:29 PM
The Paladin. Both an Oath of the Ancients and an Oath of Devotion Paladin can have up to three auras active at the same time, plus one concentration spell. For self-buffing, the Oath of the Ancients also gets Undying Champion and Elder Champion on top of all that.

So, yeah. Even with Twinning, Sorcerers can't top that. Bardic Inspiration and Countercharm make Bards pretty damn buff when it comes to buffing, but they just can't touch those Paladin auras.

Although those are all class features. If you just want spells, then Wizards and Clerics get the most buff spells.