PDA

View Full Version : Is Deepcrystal worthwhile?

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 02:01 PM
Make a weapon out of it: Get to spend 2 power points to gain +2d6 points of damage. On say a Falchion, that's 2d4+2d6 for 2 power points...but it's vs full AC, where as Dissipating Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissipatingTouch.htm) can deal 2d6 vs touch AC...and can be boosted further, if you want to spend more.

Is there any point in making something out of Deepcrystal?

Haven't checked Psychic Warrior...but they are even more strapped for power points. Actually, that means they might want the slight efficiency of the Deepcrystal weapon.

gadren
2015-11-15, 02:03 PM
It's worth it if you've optimized for weapon attacks. Like if I was playing a Warblade that had multiclassed as a psychic warrior, it would be super worth it.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-15, 02:03 PM
On a reach weapon? Definitely.

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 02:12 PM
On a reach weapon? Definitely.

Actually, turns out I *was* looking at the Psychic Warrior thingy. Psions, like all full-spell casters get the good stuff - Crystal Shard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crystalShard.htm), doing the exact same thing at range, though slightly different fluff.
EDIT: I take that back...a bit...You don't get to hold the charge if you miss.

It's worth it if you've optimized for weapon attacks. Like if I was playing a Warblade that had multiclassed as a psychic warrior, it would be super worth it.

Good note.

mabriss lethe
2015-11-15, 02:16 PM
They're also a very good option for wilders, since they have massive power point reserves, but only a handful of powers to spend them on.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-15, 02:39 PM

This. If you're going to attack with a weapon anyway you may as well make it out of deep crystal. It's not that expensive, doesn't take up a power known and a +2d6 damage that always works when you need it is probably better than most other materials, especially if you get one of the dr-breaking enhancements anyway.

Dissipating Touch is also PR:yes and, as a power, provokes AoO's when you manifest it.

tyckspoon
2015-11-15, 03:15 PM
Make a weapon out of it: Get to spend 2 power points to gain +2d6 points of damage. On say a Falchion, that's 2d4+2d6 for 2 power points...but it's vs full AC, where as Dissipating Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissipatingTouch.htm) can deal 2d6 vs touch AC...and can be boosted further, if you want to spend more.

Is there any point in making something out of Deepcrystal?

Haven't checked Psychic Warrior...but they are even more strapped for power points. Actually, that means they might want the slight efficiency of the Deepcrystal weapon.

It's a free action to activate that doesn't eat up + equivalents or psychic focus. It's extra damage that can be added at need with minimal investment. There's not much reason not to have it, especially when you get to mid/high levels and can afford to be more free with your PP.. Cheap and free action is the main draw - other similar options require investing more actions, feats, powers known, and money.

Rubik
2015-11-15, 03:22 PM
I'd say it's mainly worthwhile if you have several similar types of bonuses. Weapon augment crystals for +d6, Psionic Weapon for +2d6, Greater Psionic Weapon for another +2d6, and deep crystal for yet another +2d6. It adds up fast, and rolling buckets of dice just feels good.

Fizban
2015-11-15, 10:55 PM
Free action, standard pp to damage conversion rate, not lost immediately on a miss, fine choice if you don't need any specific material. Watch out for Shout spells, even at minimum caster level the ~24 damage is enough to shatter a one handed blade in a single hit if you botch the reflex and fortitude saves.