PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Mounts

Pavbat666
2015-11-15, 03:17 PM
Hi fellow people,

I wanted to ask about the paladins special mount as you can tell from the title. My Paladin is a half-elf and I wanted to ask if their was any other mounts besides the standard war horse or war pony for my character? Thank you

Inevitability
2015-11-15, 03:49 PM
The DMG has a section on variant mounts, and several online articles do too.

There's some pretty interesting stuff in there. How about a Celestial Wyvern?

TheifofZ
2015-11-15, 06:40 PM
IIRC, most of the more interesting mounts (but not all), require slightly higher levels to obtain.
But there are some really cool options out there. There is something richly satisfying about riding around on, say, a bear.
Or a giant, winged shark.

Flickerdart
2015-11-16, 12:06 PM
Hi fellow people,

I wanted to ask about the paladins special mount as you can tell from the title. My Paladin is a half-elf and I wanted to ask if their was any other mounts besides the standard war horse or war pony for my character? Thank you
I would recommend looking at templates.

The alternate mount guidelines are "if your paladin level -3 (or -4 if the mount flies) is higher than the mount's CR, you can pick it." So a plain old half-celestial light warhorse is accessible almost from the get-go (it's a CR2 creature with flight, so a level 6 paladin can ride it). A 7th level paladin can choose to ride a rhinoceros (CR 4).

LoyalPaladin
2015-11-16, 12:08 PM
There is a mount handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=25.0) that is sort of handy. For the most part though, I think there is a general rule about level and CR for paladin mounts, but I could be full of it. Something like Paladin level -4 = CR of creatures you can use as a mount? You don't usually catch me on odd mounts, so this is an abnormal subject for me!

Inevitability
2015-11-16, 12:16 PM

The alternate mount guidelines are "if your paladin level -3 (or -4 if the mount flies) is higher than the mount's CR, you can pick it." So a plain old half-celestial light warhorse is accessible almost from the get-go (it's a CR2 creature with flight, so a level 6 paladin can ride it). A 7th level paladin can choose to ride a rhinoceros (CR 4).

At first, I was trying very hard not to think of the implications of half-celestial horses. Then I realized celestial horses are a thing.

I feel dirty now.

Telonius
2015-11-16, 12:43 PM
At first, I was trying very hard not to think of the implications of half-celestial horses. Then I realized celestial horses are a thing.

I feel dirty now.

If it makes you feel any better, there is mythological precedent for it. Oh, those wacky Norse gods...

Flickerdart
2015-11-16, 01:11 PM

I feel dirty now.
"Celestial" is just an animal that lives in the Upper Planes (evil equivalent = Fiendish). Half-Celestial is the offspring of a Good Outsider and a creature (evil equivalent = Half-Fiend). So a celestial horse mating with a regular horse would not produce a half-celestial horse.

Âmesang
2015-11-16, 02:00 PM
I'm reminded of wanting to combine the paladin's special mount with Leadership (DUNGEON MASTER'S Guide, p.200) to ride around on a pegasus (just 'cause they're usually chaotic good doesn't mean they're always chaotic good :smallbiggrin:).

Pavbat666
2015-11-16, 09:05 PM

See, I am looking for any special mounts that a 5th level paladin can instantly get, when he gets the special mount ability. I am just a little confused on how to switch mounts, and would that give me any penalty switching? Can somebody explain this to me? Also, I have heard of this feat that lets you instantly get a pegasus mount. I am also confused about this CR rule, and how it works because I have heard you can pick any other creature as long as it has less the 7 HD or if it has 35 hit points? Is there any such mounts that would match a half-elf theme if that makes sense... See it says in the book that a halfling paladin can get a riding dog, is their anything that would go with a half-elf or even a elf? By the way, I play 3.5, and would like to use those rules if that changes anything.

Flickerdart
2015-11-16, 10:37 PM
See, I am looking for any special mounts that a 5th level paladin can instantly get, when he gets the special mount ability.
In that case you can just pick any CR2 or lower Large creature, or a CR1 Large flyer. Some amusing options include:

Bison: Beefy for its CR with 5 hit dice and 22 strength, definitely better than the basic horse. You don't need to train it for war because all paladin mounts are intelligent.
Large Monstrous Spider: This is more half-drow than half-elf, but the abilities of the spider are tough to top. If you can deal with a gross giant spider.
Giant Bee: Make sure it never stings anything or it will die, but this is your only in-core option for a flying mount at this level. Outside of core, you can pick a Giant Dragonfly (Arms and Equipment Guide).
Giant Strider (Monsters of Faerun): A weird flightless bird thing that can spit crappy fireballs and is healed when you set it on fire.
Ur'Epona (Planar Handbook): A crummy magic horse with one advantage - it has plane shift 1/day to any plane of your choice.
Ashworm (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050304a&page=6) (Sandstorm): Poison, tremorsense, and Evasion. What's not to like?
Quicksilver Lizard (Drow of the Underdark): It can climb and 1/hour, charge with a 200ft speed.

Take advantage of free templates - for example, Celestial Creature CR is "as base creature" for monsters with 3 HD or fewer. Just make sure the bonus HD from being a paladin's mount don't take you over that threshold, or it stops being free!

I am just a little confused on how to switch mounts, and would that give me any penalty switching? Can somebody explain this to me?
The only rules on this are "The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service." So it seems that a paladin has no particular obligation to a creature and can get a new mount with no penalty.

Also, I have heard of this feat that lets you instantly get a pegasus mount.
Nope.

I am also confused about this CR rule, and how it works because I have heard you can pick any other creature as long as it has less the 7 HD or if it has 35 hit points?
Maybe that was the rule in 3.0? That is no longer the case.

Is there any such mounts that would match a half-elf theme if that makes sense... See it says in the book that a halfling paladin can get a riding dog, is their anything that would go with a half-elf or even a elf? By the way, I play 3.5, and would like to use those rules if that changes anything.
Halflings use riding dogs because they are too small for horses. What an elf would ride depends on your campaign setting.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-16, 11:27 PM
A novel idea; Pick a large sized fiend. Them serving as your mount is part of their penance for past misdeeds, as the paladin is responsible for redeeming them and has convinced them to undergo the process. There are rules for that as I recall.

You could pick a smaller fiend, but I don't think a succubus or an imp would make very good mounts. They would be upset (maybe not in the succubus's case..), and it might be entertaining to (try to) charge into battle upon their backs, but they wouldn't be effective as such.

Inevitability
2015-11-17, 10:45 AM
A novel idea; Pick a large sized fiend. Them serving as your mount is part of their penance for past misdeeds, as the paladin is responsible for redeeming them and has convinced them to undergo the process. There are rules for that as I recall.

You could pick a smaller fiend, but I don't think a succubus or an imp would make very good mounts. They would be upset (maybe not in the succubus's case..), and it might be entertaining to (try to) charge into battle upon their backs, but they wouldn't be effective as such.

Wouldn't that violate the 'thou shalt not associate with evil creatures' part of the paladin code?

Âmesang
2015-11-17, 10:52 AM
What about that redeemed succubus paladin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) Wizards of the Coast statted out way back when?

Flickerdart
2015-11-17, 11:35 AM
Wouldn't that violate the 'thou shalt not associate with evil creatures' part of the paladin code?
"A paladin never knowingly associates with evil creatures" is not part of the Code, but a separate section.

Even so, associating with Evil creatures is neither in itself an Evil act, nor a gross violation of the Code, so the paladin can do it without falling, especially if it's to redeem the evildoer.

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-17, 11:54 AM
What about that redeemed succubus paladin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) Wizards of the Coast statted out way back when?

You'd have to be a halfling to do that, but you could be a halfling riding a redeemed succubus paladin riding a shark riding a water elemental.

That's Sexy Shoeless War Godhood territory there.

Deadline
2015-11-17, 12:03 PM

It's still an evil creature. In point of fact, that Succubus would ping on Detect Evil and Detect Chaos (because of it's alignment subtypes), as well as Detect Law and Detect Good (because of it's alignment).

Doc_Maynot
2015-11-17, 01:02 PM

So, as a Paladin 8 you can have a Half-Dragon Ashworm? That sounds pretty awesome.

Edit: And since the template grants claw attacks as a primary natural weapon... Does that mean the Ashworm would have arms now?

Flickerdart
2015-11-17, 01:10 PM
So, as a Paladin 8 you can have a Half-Dragon Ashworm? That sounds pretty awesome.
Ashworm: CR 2. Half-dragon: CR +2. Paladin level modifier: -4 because it flies. So yes! But you would get fewer bonus HD, so your ashworm might die a lot.

Edit: And since the template grants claw attacks as a primary natural weapon... Does that mean the Ashworm would have arms now?
No, it gains two claw attacks but not new appendages (arms or even fingers). The claws could go on the side of its body or something. Hell, it's got weird spikes on the sides, maybe it attacks with those now.

Doc_Maynot
2015-11-17, 01:29 PM
Ashworm: CR 2. Half-dragon: CR +2. Paladin level modifier: -4 because it flies. So yes! But you would get fewer bonus HD, so your ashworm might die a lot.

Well this would be for a Paladin/Beastmaster/Ashworm Dragoon (since it can stack with Paladin levels and gives it's own separate bonuses) Devoted Tracker Build.

Also, I'm not very privvy on these rules, how many levels would it lose? 4 effective Paladin levels?

No, it gains two claw attacks but not new appendages (arms or even fingers). The claws could go on the side of its body or something. Hell, it's got weird spikes on the sides, maybe it attacks with those now.

That just sounds hilarious. Makes me want to do this even more.

yellowrocket
2015-11-17, 01:32 PM
With an exotic mount saddle, could a Palin ride an ape while it climbs? And since paladin mounts are intelligent creatures, could it be trained to throw marbles or tangle foot bags?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-17, 01:35 PM

That depends a lot on your level. Paladin mount progression is kind of weird that way, starting at the same interval as animal companion progression (2HD per 3 master levels)
but getting worse at level 11 (2HD per 4 levels) and again at 15 (2HD per 6 levels).
Since it also only starts at level 5 (as opposed to 1) pure special mounts are already pretty weak to start with.

That means that unless you're passing one of those breakpoints getting a template is pure bonus, even if it increases CR.

It also means that if you want a mount that's actually useful you should get one that reduces your effective paladin level to 11 or lower, or ditch special mount progression after level 11 and try to get Devoted Tracker and animal companion progression instead.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-11-17, 01:37 PM
Dragons have very good power-to-challenge rating ratios (by design). They tend to be available a bit later, at least in Large and larger sizes, but you can get a very young pyroclastic dragon at level 9 - breath weapon: Fort DC 18 or turned to dust, every 1d4 rounds.

Flickerdart
2015-11-17, 01:42 PM
Also, I'm not very privvy on these rules, how many levels would it lose? 4 effective Paladin levels?
Yes, but you can't go under the first line on the table, so it gets +2 HD and whatever.

With an exotic mount saddle, could a Palin ride an ape while it climbs? And since paladin mounts are intelligent creatures, could it be trained to throw marbles or tangle foot bags?
It wouldn't need to be trained to do anything, any more than the party rogue needs to be trained to throw marbles. Since most apes do not walk upright, you could probably get one as a mount, yes.

That depends a lot on your level. Paladin mount progression is kind of weird that way, starting at the same interval as animal companion progression (2HD per 3 master levels)
but getting worse at level 11 (2HD per 4 levels) and again at 15 (2HD per 6 levels).
Since it also only starts at level 5 (as opposed to 1) pure special mounts are already pretty weak to start with.

That means that unless you're passing one of those breakpoints getting a template is pure bonus, even if it increases CR.

It also means that if you want a mount that's actually useful you should get one that reduces your effective paladin level to 11 or lower, or ditch special mount progression after level 11 and try to get Devoted Tracker and animal companion progression instead.
Yep, there's that. I was addressing the specific case though (Paladin 8).

Doc_Maynot
2015-11-17, 01:58 PM
Yes, but you can't go under the first line on the table, so it gets +2 HD and whatever.
Thank you for the help, Flickerdart. Appreciate it.

Red Fel
2015-11-17, 01:59 PM
Hi fellow people,

Well, there are feats. People have already mentioned Celestial mounts, and indeed BoED gives you the Celestial Mount feat (your special mount gains the Celestial template). There's Winter's Mount, a feat from Frostburn that gives your special mount a Con bonus and the Cold subtype.

Then you have two favorites of mine, and I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet. Both are from Draconomicon. The first is Dragon Cohort, which is less a mount and more a buddy. It requires character level 9, but gives you a Dragon as a cohort (as per Leadership). The second, which is not specific to Paladins but gives them a special benefit, is the Dragon Steed feat. This feat grants you a Dragonnel as a steed, and if you have the Special Mount class feature, it counts as a your mount. Yes, you get a flying dragon mount.

Want more? There's the Drakkensteed Mount ACF from Dragon Magic. No feats required, it replaces your existing Special Mount class feature with a Drakkensteed. Again, flying dragon mount. Also, if Half-Elves qualify for Elf classes at your table, he can take an Elf Paladin ACF that replaces his Special Mount with a Unicorn (see Races of the Wild).

Âmesang
2015-11-17, 02:09 PM
Actually, this is something I've been wondering about… are there any splatbooks that provide full stats for an ostrich?

That's Sexy Shoeless War Godhood territory there.
That's Master Blaster territory there. :smalltongue: Or Del Amitri's "Roll to Me."

ComaVision
2015-11-17, 02:20 PM
Actually, this is something I've been wondering about… are there any splatbooks that provide full stats for an ostrich?

Pathfinder has statted out ostrich. I'm not aware of any first party D&D 3.5 stats block for one.

Inevitability
2015-11-17, 02:22 PM

The Fiend Folio has Evil extraplanar ostriches...

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-17, 02:31 PM

That's Master Blaster territory there. :smalltongue: Or Del Amitri's "Roll to Me."

I'm afraid I don't get it. I didn't know those songs, looked them up, but still don't get it.

I was referring to http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html of course.

Doc_Maynot
2015-11-17, 03:19 PM
Oh, one more question: Do Paladin Mounts/Animal Companions get the size bonus from the HD increase, and if so, do they also get the Size Advancement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) stat changes?

Sorry, this has just got me thinking.

Flickerdart
2015-11-17, 03:21 PM
Then you have two favorites of mine, and I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet. Both are from Draconomicon. The first is Dragon Cohort, which is less a mount and more a buddy. It requires character level 9, but gives you a Dragon as a cohort (as per Leadership). The second, which is not specific to Paladins but gives them a special benefit, is the Dragon Steed feat. This feat grants you a Dragonnel as a steed, and if you have the Special Mount class feature, it counts as a your mount. Yes, you get a flying dragon mount.
Dragon Cohort is straight up worse than the DMG rules. Compare dragon ECLs to dragon CRs - a 20th level paladin could ride an adult gold dragon (CR 16) within the guidelines, or a young gold dragon (ECL 20, CR 9) using Dragon Cohort.

Dragonnels are okay, but they are explicitly available at paladin level -4 without the feat. This gives a character with the feat an edge of 2 hit dice at a few levels, and no advantage whatsoever at others (for example, a 20th level paladin taking the -4 penalty is still a level 16 paladin for benefits and gets everything that the 15-20 bracket gives). IMO it's not worth spending one of your precious few feats.

Want more? There's the Drakkensteed Mount ACF from Dragon Magic. No feats required, it replaces your existing Special Mount class feature with a Drakkensteed. Again, flying dragon mount. Also, if Half-Elves qualify for Elf classes at your table, he can take an Elf Paladin ACF that replaces his Special Mount with a Unicorn (see Races of the Wild).
Drakkensteeds are inferior to a half-celestial light warhorse in pretty much every way - their flight sucks, they get 2 fewer attacks, their AC is the same but they lack all the other defenses that half-celestial gives, and they have no magic.

The unicorn ACF is no ACF at all since the unicorn is a CR3 creature, meaning that any paladin can gain it at effective paladin level minus 6, not just elves.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-17, 03:35 PM

It wouldn't exactly, as the point of it is to redeem them which is something a paladin is permitted to do. It isn't easy, in fact it is generally ill advised, but any good outsider would/should jump at an opportunity such as that and a paladin could be the same way. Its a process, and there are rules in the Book of Exalted deeds for redeeming a creature.

One could try redeeming any evil outsider. If memory serves (away from my 3.5 books at the moment) and if they are comparable to their pathfinder equivalents, a Nightmare could easily serve as an appropriate mount. Just imagine, given time, a paladin riding upon the back of a redeemed nightmare.

Âmesang
2015-11-17, 04:14 PM
I'm afraid I don't get it. I didn't know those songs, looked them up, but still don't get it.
Sure, make me feel old, why don't you? :smalltongue: Del Amitri's infamous video for "Roll to Me" featured the band as babies being pushed along in carriers by gorgeous, young women. Likewise I apologize for the Master Blaster reference; I guess I just can't get beyond Thunderdome…

The Fiend Folio has Evil extraplanar ostriches...
http://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/wallpapers/yotsuba%20%280%29.png

Tysis
2015-11-17, 05:12 PM
Dragon Cohort is straight up worse than the DMG rules. Compare dragon ECLs to dragon CRs - a 20th level paladin could ride an adult gold dragon (CR 16) within the guidelines, or a young gold dragon (ECL 20, CR 9) using Dragon Cohort.

Dragonnels are okay, but they are explicitly available at paladin level -4 without the feat. This gives a character with the feat an edge of 2 hit dice at a few levels, and no advantage whatsoever at others (for example, a 20th level paladin taking the -4 penalty is still a level 16 paladin for benefits and gets everything that the 15-20 bracket gives). IMO it's not worth spending one of your precious few feats.

Drakkensteeds are inferior to a half-celestial light warhorse in pretty much every way - their flight sucks, they get 2 fewer attacks, their AC is the same but they lack all the other defenses that half-celestial gives, and they have no magic.

The unicorn ACF is no ACF at all since the unicorn is a CR3 creature, meaning that any paladin can gain it at effective paladin level minus 6, not just elves.

How do you get a light warhorse to qualify for the Half-Celestial template? The template requires an Intelligence score of 4 or higher.

Flickerdart
2015-11-17, 05:25 PM
How do you get a light warhorse to qualify for the Half-Celestial template? The template requires an Intelligence score of 4 or higher.
Templates are, as always, your friend. Spellwarped is +0 CR, for one, but there are others. Or your horse can take levels in the half-celestial template class after you give it a hat of Int bonus.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-17, 05:56 PM
How about the Yyllethyn or the Asperi?
Elven Horse and Flying Horse w/o wings.

Or maybe a Giant Strider?
Featherless, fire-breathing ostrich in MoF.

Inevitability
2015-11-18, 12:22 PM
http://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/wallpapers/yotsuba.png

I know, right? Just look at it:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50155.jpg

Twurps
2015-11-18, 01:07 PM
Templates are, as always, your friend. Spellwarped is +0 CR, for one, but there are others. Or your horse can take levels in the half-celestial template class after you give it a hat of Int bonus.

I had to look it up to believe it: How on earth did WOTC ever figure that template would be +0CR?

nedz
2015-11-18, 04:38 PM
If you can wait a few more levels there are more options
Level 5
Camel (MM p270) DMG p205
Hippocampus (Storm p153) Storm p51
Horse, Heavy War (MM p273) PH p45
Horse, Light War (MM p273) DMG p205
Riding Bird (DR323 p35) DR323 p35
Sea Tiger (MM3 p147) MM3 p147
Level 6
Celestial Warhorse, Heavy (MM p273) & (MM p31) DMG p204
Celestial Warhorse, Light (MM p273) & (MM p31) DMG p205
Dire Wolf(MM p65) DMG p204
Dinosaur, Dinonychus (MM p60) DR351 p70
Hippogriff (MM p152) DMG p204
Monstrous Spider, Large (MM p289) DMG p204
Shark, Large (MM p279) DMG p204
Unicorn (MM p249) DMG p204
Level 7
Dire Boar (MM p63) DMG p204
Dire Wolverine (MM p66) DMG p204
Giant Eagle (MM p93) DMG p204
Giant Owl (MM p205) DMG p204
Guardian Steed (DR309 p30) DR309 p33
Pegasus (MM p206) DMG p204
Rhinoceros (MM p278) DMG p204
Sea Cat (MM p220) DMG p204
Terror Bird (FF p175) DR351 p70
Level 8
Dire Lion (MM p63) DMG p204
Griffon (MM p139) DMG p204

Riding Bird (DR323 p35) — available at level 5
Terror Bird (FF p175) — available at level 7

Pavbat666
2015-11-21, 06:23 PM
If you can wait a few more levels there are more options
Level 5
Camel (MM p270) DMG p205
Hippocampus (Storm p153) Storm p51
Horse, Heavy War (MM p273) PH p45
Horse, Light War (MM p273) DMG p205
Riding Bird (DR323 p35) DR323 p35
Sea Tiger (MM3 p147) MM3 p147
Level 6
Celestial Warhorse, Heavy (MM p273) & (MM p31) DMG p204
Celestial Warhorse, Light (MM p273) & (MM p31) DMG p205
Dire Wolf(MM p65) DMG p204
Dinosaur, Dinonychus (MM p60) DR351 p70
Hippogriff (MM p152) DMG p204
Monstrous Spider, Large (MM p289) DMG p204
Shark, Large (MM p279) DMG p204
Unicorn (MM p249) DMG p204
Level 7
Dire Boar (MM p63) DMG p204
Dire Wolverine (MM p66) DMG p204
Giant Eagle (MM p93) DMG p204
Giant Owl (MM p205) DMG p204
Guardian Steed (DR309 p30) DR309 p33
Pegasus (MM p206) DMG p204
Rhinoceros (MM p278) DMG p204
Sea Cat (MM p220) DMG p204
Terror Bird (FF p175) DR351 p70
Level 8
Dire Lion (MM p63) DMG p204
Griffon (MM p139) DMG p204

Riding Bird (DR323 p35) — available at level 5
Terror Bird (FF p175) — available at level 7

Thank you for this referance post. I am probably stick with the war horse, and then wait for the pegasus

Twurps
2015-11-22, 11:07 AM
If you're having troubles getting +0CR templates past your DM (As I know I would have):
There's an ACF in Planar handbook(p33) at paladin lvl6 that lets you apply the 'celestial' template to your mount, at the cost of 1/day remove disease.
Celestial isn't half as good as 'half-celestial' (strangely) but still nice.

DMG and Draconomicon seem to disagree on this point. With draconomicon stating (p139) that having a dragon as a special mount requires the 'dragon steed' feat. It also lists (for a few dragons) the starting paladin level at which a dragon should become available as a special mount which doesn't follow the DMG rules (Or any rule at all for that matter).

Your reply seems to imply the DMG takes precedence. Can you explain why? (Draconomicon rules being stricktly worse in just about every case, I can use a good argument vs my DM :smallbiggrin: )

ZhanStrider
2015-11-28, 08:05 AM
There is a mount handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=25.0) that is sort of handy. For the most part though, I think there is a general rule about level and CR for paladin mounts, but I could be full of it. Something like Paladin level -4 = CR of creatures you can use as a mount? You don't usually catch me on odd mounts, so this is an abnormal subject for me!

I kept expecting the handbook to list possible mount choices and see which ones are best.