PDA

View Full Version : What's that Tome of Battle feat....

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 05:54 PM
that gives Dex to damage? Something about shadow hand?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-11-15, 05:55 PM
Shadow Blade, it gives you dex to damage when using Shadow Hand weapons and in a Shadow hand stance.

SangoProduction
2015-11-15, 06:33 PM
Shadow Blade, it gives you dex to damage when using Shadow Hand weapons and in a Shadow hand stance.

Oh. OK, never mind. Thanks though.

137beth
2015-11-16, 10:42 AM
Why never mind? Were you hoping to get dex to damage unconditionally?

LoyalPaladin
2015-11-16, 12:06 PM
Nailed it.

It's rare to get Dex to damage. Sometimes I feel like it'd be too powerful. Imagine if you got AC from Str.

LudicSavant
2015-11-16, 12:19 PM
Imagine if you got AC from Str.

My first mental image that leaped to mind was imagining a nightmare realm where Fighters were slightly less MAD and Wizards had an AC penalty for dumping Strength, and panicked peasants were running around screaming "Nooooo, they have nice thiiiings!" while being chased by half-orcs with swords.

Of course, my second mental image was a Dire Bear-shaped druid crashing in and stomping on all of the houses while swatting away all attacks with its immense strength and eating the half-orcs. So, yeah.

Abithrios
2015-11-16, 12:25 PM
Nailed it.

It's rare to get Dex to damage. Sometimes I feel like it'd be too powerful. Imagine if you got AC from Str.

It would probably be at a better place balance-wise if it replaced strength and had fewer restrictions, like deadly agility from Path of War.

There are a couple of differences. First is that you often get 1.5 str to damage. Second, I am pretty sure it's easier to get a huge strength than a similar dex, and doing so often increases the size of your weapon die. Third, dex to ac is limited by armor. Finally, this costs a feat, which should be an upgrade.

Overall, I think applying dex to damage is a tradeoff relative to just using strength with a big weapon, as two handing a big weapon is currently the dominant way of doing big damage.

Vhaidara
2015-11-16, 12:33 PM
Both exist. Dex to damage is deadly agility from path of war, str replacing dex for AC is level 6 stalker using the Brutal Slayer archetype from path of war Expanded (currently in playtest)

LoyalPaladin
2015-11-16, 01:09 PM
My first mental image that leaped to mind was imagining a nightmare realm where Fighters were slightly less MAD and Wizards had an AC penalty for dumping Strength, and panicked peasants were running around screaming "Nooooo, they have nice thiiiings!" while being chased by half-orcs with swords.

Of course, my second mental image was a Dire Bear-shaped druid crashing in and stomping on all of the houses while swatting away all attacks with its immense strength and eating the half-orcs. So, yeah.
Hahaha. Why can't us Str based PC's have nice things?!

Both exist. Dex to damage is deadly agility from path of war, str replacing dex for AC is level 6 stalker using the Brutal Slayer archetype from path of war Expanded (currently in playtest)
I um... I'll be back later... I need to go take 6 levels in a certain class...

Inevitability
2015-11-17, 10:41 AM

Both 4e and 5e let you easily get dexterity do damage, either as a standard feature for certain classes or as option on certain weapons. It works out pretty well.

And I wouldn't call strength to AC strong. Most characters who use armor that allows for large dexterity bonuses do not have high strength, and vice versa.