PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Patron Tool: Pandora's Box (peach please)

AeonsShadow
2015-11-15, 06:12 PM
Pandora's Box

http://img08.deviantart.net/b7a8/i/2012/303/a/e/pandora__s_box_by_tharalin-d5jh65v.png

Usually a box or urn, it is noted as once beingthe Container for all the evils of the world, now it has chosen you to wield it's power, but opening this box comes at what price?

Expanded Spells
1st: Unseen servant/ Command
2nd: Find Steed/ Blindness/Deafness
3rd: Spirit Guardians/ Hypnotic Pattern
4th: Conjure Minor Elementals/ Mislead
5th: Contagion/ Conjure Elemental
6th: Planar Ally/ Mass Suggestion

Box of Wonders, Chaos, and Fear.
You are bound to Pandora's Box. You may summon it to your side at will and it acts as an Arcane lockbox, except only you may open it and it may hold living creatures inside without killing them.

At first level, if you place a non magic item inside along with material (this can be anything from rice or rocks to holy water) equal in size, you may temporarily create a copy of that item, in all aspects, including size, weight, and material. If you have enough material you may make as many copies as possible at once. After an hour per character level, if the item is destroyed, or if someone casts identify or a similar spell on it, it will return to its original material. You may force it to return to normal on command.

Unleashing Pandora's evils
Pandora's Box grow stronger the more you use it, and you can now call that power to aid you.

At 6th level, you may call upon the box and summon a random monster* with CR equal or less than half your level, capped to 9 at level 18th (DM'S discretion) that is friendly towards you and your friends and will listen to your general commands but is under the DM's control. ( You can order it to Attack, defend, etc. but the DM is in control of it's abilities.) for 1d10 minutes* and will disappear 1d10 minutes after that. The creature may only be unsummoned upon HP reaching zero, and will defend itself if attacked. You may not use this ability if a creature is currently summoned, and may be used charisma modifier times per long rest.

*after you lose control the creature may become hostile to you.

What's left was Hope
Pandora's box now acts as a bag of holding, except only you may open it and it may hold living creatures inside without killing them.

You may, as an action place your hand upon the box and let it deal 1d12 Radiant damage to you, storing all the damage inside the box. You may do this as many times as you want and the points do not disappear from the box, but may only store up to your maximum health in points in the box.

As an action, you may open the box and speak a command word, releasing all the points you have accumulated, healing all those you choose split as you see fit. This ability may only be used once every long rest.

The Chaos of change
You may now use pandora's box to create the body of a monster with a maximum CR to half your level, capped to 9 at level 18, as long as you have a piece of that creature, (an Illithid's tentacle, a jar of ooze slime, a dragons scale, etc.) enter Pandora's box pandora's box and enter a stasis, exiting the box in control of the monster body as if from a Magic jar spell. Your body is held in stasis inside the box and if the monsters body is destroyed, returns to the box, or is dispelled/ enters an anti magic area,* your soul immediately returns to your body and the box ejects you from itself. This ability may only be used once per long rest.

*In this case the body must be physically retrieved with in the time limit and put inside Pandora's box or else it will disintegrate.

You may use this ability to make a copy of yourself. You may use your spells within this new body so long as they (the current body) can use the proper somatic/verbal components, (An Ooze can't speak but it can gesture,) but you may not regain spell slots while in this secondary body. In order to regain spell slots and use of abilities you must rest while in your original body. The Secondary body will be fully healed of all wounds after 24 hours inside Pandora's box and will not decay nor disappear if within the box.

Hipster Dixit
2015-11-16, 05:54 AM
Neat concept, I'm looking forward to see the next ones. I think it is a bit overpowered though. My concerns:

Summoning a monster with CR equal to yours is completely broken. Summoning in general is quite limited in 5e compared to previous editions. You may want to set a much lower level cap on this. See the Conjure X spell line on player's handbook for suggestions.

10th level ability is basically Mass Heal. Not that it is overpowered in itself, but level 10th may be a little early... again, make a level cap on how much health can be stored in the box.

Capstone is really nice, True Polymorph without time restrictions, but more severe conditions. I like it, though I can't tell if it needs to be toned down and how.

AeonsShadow
2015-11-16, 07:57 AM
Neat concept, I'm looking forward to see the next ones. I think it is a bit overpowered though. My concerns:

Summoning a monster with CR equal to yours is completely broken. Summoning in general is quite limited in 5e compared to previous editions. You may want to set a much lower level cap on this. See the Conjure X spell line on player's handbook for suggestions.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that one, thus my concerns there and wanting the Peach in the first place. It is also one of the reasons I made it that the monster had a chance to turn hostile.

10th level ability is basically Mass Heal. Not that it is overpowered in itself, but level 10th may be a little early... again, make a level cap on how much health can be stored in the box.

What do you suggest? maybe half his/her hit points?

Capstone is really nice, True Polymorph without time restrictions, but more severe conditions. I like it, though I can't tell if it needs to be toned down and how.

That was the reason it actually NEEDS a piece of the creature in particular. but I agree it needs some other restriction maybe? a time limit before the body has to return to the box maybe lest its destroyed?

Hipster Dixit
2015-11-16, 10:27 AM
Yeah I wasn't sure about that one, thus my concerns there and wanting the Peach in the first place. It is also one of the reasons I made it that the monster had a chance to turn hostile.

I would limit the maximum CR to half your level, capped to 9 at level 18th. It could also be better if the monster would be controlled by the DM instead of you (It would still attack your enemies, just you could not use its abilities and spells the way you like... works better for the flavor too).

What do you suggest? maybe half his/her hit points?

Your maximum hit points could work.

That was the reason it actually NEEDS a piece of the creature in particular. but I agree it needs some other restriction maybe? a time limit before the body has to return to the box maybe lest its destroyed?

Still too much for me. I would place a CR cap, maybe the same of the 6th level ability. Permanent duration is huuuuge.

AeonsShadow
2015-11-16, 05:40 PM
Abilities edited. Sound better?

Hipster Dixit
2015-11-18, 04:20 AM
Ok it's better now. There is still something that bugs me:

The 6th level ability needs to be toned down further, since I just noticed that you can use it like unlimited times... I'd make it once per short rest. In addition, I'll make the following changes: duration 10 minutes (better than dice rolling), the monsters disappears when duration expires (no wild demons going on a walk on the material plane...), and they need to make a Wisdom save when they are summoned. If they succeed, they are free (most likely will attack you), otherwise they are loyal. What do you think?

Is there a new 14th level ability? If I read it correctly, it is very strong, maybe too much... since lets you use twice your spells and abilities before going on a rest. I would make it that you can't use spells, invocations, ki power etcetera when you are in the fake body. It is still useful because it allows you to go wherever you want without being killed, although not great for dungeon crawling.

AeonsShadow
2015-11-18, 12:40 PM
Ok it's better now. There is still something that bugs me:

The 6th level ability needs to be toned down further, since I just noticed that you can use it like unlimited times... I'd make it once per short rest.

Not unlimited, its charisma bonus times per rest.

In addition, I'll make the following changes: duration 10 minutes (better than dice rolling), the monsters disappears when duration expires (no wild demons going on a walk on the material plane...), and they need to make a Wisdom save when they are summoned. If they succeed, they are free (most likely will attack you), otherwise they are loyal. What do you think?

While I wanted it to be a little more random in how long he/she could control the beast, but the wisdom idea sounds nice.

Is there a new 14th level ability? If I read it correctly, it is very strong, maybe too much... since lets you use twice your spells and abilities before going on a rest. I would make it that you can't use spells, invocations, ki power etcetera when you are in the fake body. It is still useful because it allows you to go wherever you want without being killed, although not great for dungeon crawling.

It allows you to use your spells because those are from your own mind/soul. but you can't RENEW them in your fake body. once you use them all up you must rest in your original body in order to regain them. you also can't use the spells if the body your in can't do the proper vocal or movement bits.

Hipster Dixit
2015-11-19, 05:50 PM
Not unlimited, its charisma bonus times per rest.

Per short rest, which means that you have it up at pretty much every encounter. This is a lot for a such powerful ability. Really.

It allows you to use your spells because those are from your own mind/soul. but you can't RENEW them in your fake body. once you use them all up you must rest in your original body in order to regain them. you also can't use the spells if the body your in can't do the proper vocal or movement bits.

Ok but you can do this: make a fake body, use all your spells, then enter the body and use all the spells again. Or do you still use your spell slots when inside the body? If so, it is fine, but it need to be specified. I feel that wording in general could be improved; sadly, I can't really help on this, given how bad I'm at english... better leave this to someone else :D

Flashy
2015-11-19, 07:20 PM
Per short rest, which means that you have it up at pretty much every encounter. This is a lot for a such powerful ability. Really.

I just want to chime in with this. It's really a terribly powerful ability. It's arguably better than any of the 4th level summon spells (conjure minor elemental, etc) since those can't summon creatures above CR 2, and you're getting it ~4 times per short rest. You can summon one CR3 monster per encounter, basically, and the only downside is that you might have to fight some of them sometimes.

AeonsShadow
2015-11-19, 09:58 PM

Ok but you can do this: make a fake body, use all your spells, then enter the body and use all the spells again. Or do you still use your spell slots when inside the body? If so, it is fine, but it need to be specified. I feel that wording in general could be improved; sadly, I can't really help on this, given how bad I'm at english... better leave this to someone else :D

It should be using your spell slots. Since it relies on mental energy, it should be Regardless of body. Im not sure how to word it though.

Changed summon power to long rest. Still too op?