PDA

View Full Version : Best Modules for introducing beginners [pathfinder/3.5]

Almaseti
2015-11-15, 07:27 PM
I have some friends I want to introduce to D&D, and I'm looking for a not-too-long module (since I don't know if they will like it enough to play a full-on Adventure Path) to give them a taste of how it works.

What are good modules either in Pathfinder or 3.5 (since it's not too hard to convert) to introduce beginners to the system and to roleplaying in general? I don't really want to do a dungeon crawl since that's just going to be a lot of combat and traps. Something with some chances to roleplay and an interesting story is what I'm looking for. Any advice?

mostholycerebus
2015-11-15, 09:47 PM
Rise of the Runelords is fantastic. As a long-time gamer, it has a great 'feel' of classic RPG gaming, without using any stale old tropes. The setting can really get the players involved, and it has many, many opportunities for roleplay. I ran what was essentially a LE murderhobo in it, and ended up getting married to a local, winning a potatoe sack race, opening a shop, buying a boat, and in general becoming part of the Sandpoint society.

Its long, but just run the first part as a self-contained module. If they like it, you can keep going. Also, lots of online support for this series.

nyjastul69
2015-11-16, 08:37 AM
What is the starting level? What is the party composition? Assuming a start point of 1st level and midoptimization the original adventure path is pretty solid. It's only tangentially linked so you can opt into, or out of it, at about any level.

Acanous
2015-11-16, 03:48 PM
not Reign of Winter. Anything else :p
Skull and Shackles is nice.

Lhurgyof
2015-11-16, 07:47 PM
Tomb of Horrors is totes where you want to begin. :smalltongue:

I've heard good things about Red Hand of Doom, though that starts at around level 5.

Almaseti
2015-11-17, 10:03 PM
What is the starting level? What is the party composition? Assuming a start point of 1st level and midoptimization the original adventure path is pretty solid. It's only tangentially linked so you can opt into, or out of it, at about any level.

They have never played, it would be 1st level, prob a druid, a bard and a rogue. I was hoping for suggestions for something shorter so they can beat it quickly and feel accomplished.

Kol Korran
2015-11-18, 12:23 AM
I am at work, and for soem reason the Paizo site is blocked to me, but I rememebr 2 modules. I don't fully remember the names, but I hope you can fidn them by description:
- "Last of of Horrow" (Or soemthing close. I remember it's "last hope of..."), It's generic, startign at lvl 1, with a small basic village/ town. The basic premise is that theire is some plague affectign the town, and the herblasit requests the party to go into the surrounding woods, and bring 3 components that will enable makign a cure. It has some nice roleplay, a small mystery, and a few nice fights, including a very small dungeon at the end. It's somewhere on the Paizo site, and it was made as an introductory module. I remember readign it, and thinking it was quite nice for beginner, though i haven't play tested it. If I rememebr correctly, there are follow-up modules, which are entirely optional, (though cost a bit of money) if the DM wants to add them later. The module is free, fairly simple, but with enough wiggling room to be interesting. It sounded quite a good entrance for the game, both for players, and DM.

- There is another module, also made specifically for introduction, whose name I don't rememebr unfortunately. The premise is a bit similar- small generic kind of town, the part plays young 1st level characters, who are sent on a tirual of manhood (or such), to go and bring a flame from a location a bit farther in the woods. It starts with a bit of simpel wilderness, but then they get to the place, and find that things are amiss. If I remmber correctly, they go through a small dungeon, in which the encoutners are designed to teach the party some game mechanics (Such as DR with skeletons or such), with a small necromancer in the end. (If i remember correctly). I haven't played it or read it, but I heard it mentioned quite afew times, with positive feedback. Mainly used for new players, liek the former module, though from what I gather it focuses more on classic dungeon exploring and combat. If I remember correctly it is free as well, and again, there are a few "follow up" potential modules, which loosely follwo the storyline, though I think they cost soem money.

I heard very good things about both of them. While I head good things abour Rise of the Rune Lords as well, the setting in that module is more complex (Both Varisia and Sandpoint), which can make it either very enriching, or a bit intimidating for new players, while the modules I've suggeseted use a "plop in everywhere" locations, which you can easily adjust, and may require less reading from players. It's really up to how enthusiastic and "ready to read extra" your players are.

I hope this helps, I love playign with new players, they always brign a fresh wind, and think up the most amazing things! Have fun! I'd love to hear how it went. :smallsmile:

Uncle Pine
2015-11-18, 03:32 AM
The first (and only) module I played as a player was the Sunless Citadel and I loved it.

Almaseti
2015-11-23, 07:12 PM
The first (and only) module I played as a player was the Sunless Citadel and I loved it.

Would you happen to know where I can download that? I've googled but to no avail.