PDA

View Full Version : Negative Damage Healer

deathbymanga
2015-11-15, 08:34 PM
Say I rolled a 6 for my strength, and decide to punch my friend in the face. My punch does 1+Strength mod damage. but my Strength mod is -2. So wouldn't I actually heal them?

Madeiner
2015-11-15, 08:36 PM
Say I rolled a 6 for my strength, and decide to punch my friend in the face. My punch does 1+Strength mod damage. but my Strength mod is -2. So wouldn't I actually heal them?

If that makes sense to you.

You might also want to look into drowning for more efficient healing.

JumboWheat01
2015-11-15, 09:20 PM
I'm PRETTY sure that doesn't work. Though you should try that punch on the BBEG and see if he falls over laughing because of your pathetic punch. Then get your friends with the big weapons to put a few holes in him.

TripleD
2015-11-15, 09:46 PM
Away from book, but I'm 95% certain there's a rule specifying that modifiers can't drop damage below 1.

Malifice
2015-11-15, 09:54 PM

Laughably, the PHB doesnt mention the 'minimum of 1 point of damage' anywhere when it comes to damage rolls.

So by RAW, yes you do heal them.

Again, why I find arguments to the RAW laughable.

Kane0
2015-11-15, 10:10 PM
Does there need to be a rule about it? Therein lies the 3.x mindset.

JoeJ
2015-11-15, 10:29 PM
It's fantasy. If you can accept dragons and wizards, why can't a character heal by punching because they're just that damn weak?

Kane0
2015-11-15, 10:38 PM
Player: "I punch him in the face." *Rolls* "16 to hit, -1 damage."
DM: "Your opponent feels much better about his chances of success after that effort. He actually gains a hit point from morale and determination. He also discards his weapon just to be fair."
Player: "Good. Next turn i'm going to go punch the paladin to wake him up"

Addaran
2015-11-15, 10:58 PM
It's fantasy. If you can accept dragons and wizards, why can't a character heal by punching because they're just that damn weak?

Because playing in a coherent and logical world is much more fun. :smallbiggrin:

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-16, 08:17 AM

-1 damage is not the same as, you heal 1. You can ask your DM but every DM, even the most generous one, will say that you just deal 0dmg (there are DMs who have minimum damage but I'd just rule 0 damage)...

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-16, 08:18 AM
Away from book, but I'm 95% certain there's a rule specifying that modifiers can't drop damage below 1.

Nope, no minimum damage in 5e, but everyone will, like I just posted (but before I read this so I can now react) rule dat you then do 0dmg and not 1 heal.

Douche
2015-11-16, 08:22 AM
A Negative damage punch is actually gentle caress that makes the person feel comforted and good about themselves, thereby healing them

krugaan
2015-11-16, 08:48 AM
A Negative damage punch is actually gentle caress that makes the person feel comforted and good about themselves, thereby healing them

Hey, this is a family forum, keep it clean.

Malifice
2015-11-16, 09:36 PM
Nope, no minimum damage in 5e, but everyone will, like I just posted (but before I read this so I can now react) rule dat you then do 0dmg and not 1 heal.

Minimum 1 damage it's always been. Not zero.

Im going with 1 damage, minimum.

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-17, 08:02 AM

No, you'd be an idiot who punched your friend in the face.

Open your PHB to Appendix D: Creature Statistics.

Now look at the actions for the following creatures:
Bat, Cat, Hawk (Falcon), Owl, Rat, Sprite.

All have negative strength modifiers and all deal 1 damage on a hit (even using a longsword).

ryan92084
2015-11-17, 09:17 AM
Minimum 1 damage it's always been. Not zero.

Im going with 1 damage, minimum.

That's fine but not true of this edition. As you already pointed out it a 1 minimum isn't stated anywhere and its been commented on a couple of times by devs.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/25/minimum-damage/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/15/deal-zero-damage/

If it happens enough times in a row you end up married to your foe.

Malifice
2015-11-17, 10:20 AM
That's fine but not true of this edition. As you already pointed out it a 1 minimum isn't stated anywhere and its been commented on a couple of times by devs.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/25/minimum-damage/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/15/deal-zero-damage/

If it happens enough times in a row you end up married to your foe.

Cool, but Im still going with one.

N810
2015-11-17, 12:47 PM
You hurt your fist punching his face.
and loose one hit point from your now sore fist. :nale:

Addaran
2015-11-17, 04:57 PM
I'd stay with the rule of minimum 1 damage or else it doesn't make sense for lots of animals. Or even dagger hits.With only 6 str, you'd be doing zero half the time.

Exceptions being with damage reduction (could go to zero) and resistance (1 damage before resistance turns to zero).

You hurt your fist punching his face.
and loose one hit point from your now sore fist. :nale:

I might use that for weak unarmed attacks against armor or hard stuff like an earth elemental. :smallwink:

Safety Sword
2015-11-18, 08:23 PM
If you ever find yourself in this situation, you're probably a wizard and you should have just cast a spell instead :smalltongue: