PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Clangeddin

Element Zero
2015-11-15, 09:03 PM
Hello, Playground! I've posted on here looking for suggestions and advice in the past, but this is the first time I'm totally blind on something. I'm looking to make a Cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard (hence the title), but mechanically I have zero idea how to go about it.

All I know is Dwarf and War Domain. Other than that, I have only the most basic knowledge of the 5e rules. Anyone willing to help me work out a build?

Malifice
2015-11-16, 12:03 AM
Hello, Playground! I've posted on here looking for suggestions and advice in the past, but this is the first time I'm totally blind on something. I'm looking to make a Cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard (hence the title), but mechanically I have zero idea how to go about it.

All I know is Dwarf and War Domain. Other than that, I have only the most basic knowledge of the 5e rules. Anyone willing to help me work out a build?

I'd probably go a Mountain dwarf Paladin 3 [Vengance], Cleric [War] 17. LN.

S: 14 (16)
D: 8
C: 12 (14)
I: 10
W: 15
Ch: 13

Go Paladin for 3 levels [protection style fits Clangeddin, use warhammer and board], then Cleric for the rest.

Bump Wis and Cha by +1 for your first ASI. Take shield master for your second. Bump Wisdom for your third and fourth.

Part of your backstory is: 'Your clan was wiped out by [monsters you hold a grudge against] and your fathers fabled belt of giant strength and dwarven hammer was stolen by your [chosen foe]. You have sworn to avenge them, recover these artifacts, and restore your clan to its former glory'.

You could also go Paladin 6/ Cleric 14 for +Cha to saves (all ASI's go to charisma in this case).

Shining Wrath
2015-11-16, 03:57 AM
I'm going to assume you want a dwarf so Hill Dwarf, with +1 Wisdom, seems like a fit.

If you don't want to multi-class and you've got Hill Dwarf, War domain cleric, all you really need is a background. You should pick one that provides something that fills in gaps in your party - what's the rest of the team look like?

DanyBallon
2015-11-16, 06:51 AM
Choosing between Hill or Mountain dwarf dépends pretty much how close you want to stick to FR setting, and if so where in the setting you are playing, as Hill dwarf with the Wis bonus is definatly a big plus for any cleric, unfortunately, in the Sword Coast area, the proeminent subtype is Shield (mountain) dwarf. Gold (hill) dwarves come from the east.

Then again, nothing prevent you from being a hill dwarf exploring foreing regions.

Gwendol
2015-11-16, 07:53 AM
I'll post the cleric dogma here, for inspiration:
The finest hours of dwarvenkind come in the thrusts and feints of war. Seize the opportunity to defend you kin and ensure their victory wherever conflicts erupts. Revel in the challenge of a good fight, and never waver in the face of adversity, no matter how ominous. Lives should never be thrown away foolishly, but the greatest honour is to sacrifice oneself for the cause on the field of battle in service to a righteous cause. When not fighting prepare for next conflict physically, tactically, and by acquiring resources. Attack hill giants whenever possible and other evil giants whenever necessary.

A single class cleric of war looks to fit the bill very well. Arm the character with a battleaxe (and shield) and you are good to go.

Element Zero
2015-11-16, 09:51 AM
I'm going to assume you want a dwarf so Hill Dwarf, with +1 Wisdom, seems like a fit.

If you don't want to multi-class and you've got Hill Dwarf, War domain cleric, all you really need is a background. You should pick one that provides something that fills in gaps in your party - what's the rest of the team look like?

Dwarf Paladin, Halfling Rogue, Halfling Sorcerer, and Elf Ranger

Inevitability
2015-11-16, 03:32 PM
Dwarf Paladin, Halfling Rogue, Halfling Sorcerer, and Elf Ranger

Is the paladin you, or is there another dwarf paladin in the party? If there is, I'd refrain from dipping pally at all.

Element Zero
2015-11-16, 05:35 PM
Is the paladin you, or is there another dwarf paladin in the party? If there is, I'd refrain from dipping pally at all.

The Paladin is another guy in the party. Everyone listed above is the rest of the team.

djreynolds
2015-11-16, 06:12 PM
A mountain dwarf gives you +2/+2 to two important abilities. A hill dwarf gives you +2/+1 and toughness. You need str,con,wis and chr.

So either is a good pick. 6 Paladin could be a viable addition. Sacred weapon rocks, 2 attacks and a bonus action attack. Grab a maul or great attack and GWM and GWS. Cast bless and use sacred weapon.

Move over wimpy barbarian and fighter and let me at them.... Please.

Gwendol
2015-11-17, 02:43 AM
I'd go straight war cleric. Paladin is nice, but delaying spells will always hurt. Especially starting out.