PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a Pathfinder Oradin character: looking for help

Pyron Firehide
2015-11-15, 09:47 PM
I am working on building an oradin (oracle/paladin) in a homebrew campaign starting in a couple of weeks. I am looking for specific advice and suggestions to my character build's situation, which is not the normal situation. All players were offered to build a level one character with 2000 gold plus the normal starting gold plus the option of getting an extra 900 gold from the rich parents trait or a level two character with normal starting gold plus the option of getting an extra 900 gold from the rich parents trait. I rolled three sets of 4d6 taking the best of the three dice and got the following rolls: 17, 16, 16, 15, 13, 11. I figure that is fantastic. This helps me do a lot with my character. I also have access to the following books: Core, APG, ARG, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Campaign, Ultimate Equipment, Ultimate Magic, Bestiary 1-3, Adventurer's Armory, and Animal Archive. The following is a part of the game: unrestricted traits and drawback, emerging guns, no coin weight, use archetypes, use drawbacks (only one), use traits and character flaws, max HP at first level, and roll HPs after that.

After doing a lot of research, this is what I came up with:
Level 1 Human Paladin
Human alternate racial traits: focused study and heart of the wilderness
Paladin archetype: divine hunter
Ability Scores:
Str: 17 (+2) = 19
Dex: 15
Con: 16 (+5 to stabilize from Heart of Wilderness)
Int: 13
Wis: 11
Cha: 16

Feats:
Power Attack
Skills Focus (from focused study): Knowledge (religion)

Traits:
Armor Expert
Magical Knack (Paladin (Divine Hunter))
Seeker

Drawbacks:
House servant (DM chose this)

Ranks in the following skills:
Diplomacy, knowledge (religion), and perception

Armor +1 agile breastplate with armor spikes and armored kilt (1620 gp)

Weapons:
MW composite longbow +0 (400 gp)
greatsword (50 gp)
combat scabbard (heavy blade) (1 gp)

Equipment:
MW backpack (50 gp)
some basic stuff
18 gp left

Here are my thoughts and questions:
I am thinking about getting eldritch heritage (arcane) at level three with divine bond in addition to the divine bond from divine hunter archetype. Should I have the sorcerer divine bond also be put on my composite longbow or on something else?
Is the greatsword (s), armor spikes (p), and combat scabbard (b) a good set? I think it keeps my weight down and easy to use without having to drop weapons. Should I purchase a MW greatsword instead of a MW composite longbow?
Should my level one feat be Power Attack?
Should I go eldritch heritage feat at level three?
Should I go Paladin, Paladin, Oracle x3, Paladin?
Basically, how can I optimize it anymore?
What suggestions do you have that could help me make a better build?
Where should I be focusing on the future of this build?
Thanks!

Geddy2112
2015-11-15, 11:26 PM
Looks like a solid build. There is an oradin guide on the playground you can look at here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot) which is basically about being a mass healer extraordinaire.

Yes, you should get eldritch heritage at level three, but I would get a familiar.
Yes, your weapon setup is good, but the greatsword should be masterwork. Your bow is a backup weapon when you need ranged.
Yes, take power attack at level one.
How you mix and match pally/oracle is really up to what you want to do-the oradin guide is about mass healing, but there are other options, including oracle builds that can dump dex such as lore and nature mysteries. It depends on why your going oradin and not straight pally.

Pyron Firehide
2015-11-16, 12:06 AM
Looks like a solid build. There is an oradin guide on the playground you can look at ... which is basically about being a mass healer extraordinaire.

Yes, you should get eldritch heritage at level three, but I would get a familiar.
Yes, your weapon setup is good, but the greatsword should be masterwork. Your bow is a backup weapon when you need ranged.
Yes, take power attack at level one.
How you mix and match pally/oracle is really up to what you want to do-the oradin guide is about mass healing, but there are other options, including oracle builds that can dump dex such as lore and nature mysteries. It depends on why your going oradin and not straight pally.

I was thinking about the MW greatsword instead of the MW bow. I was intending on being the primary healer, which is what I knew the Life Oracle was the best healer. Then I researched and learned about the oradin. Afterwards, I realized it would be more fun to be able to be a part of the combat instead of just being a healer. I did see the oradin guide, but it included features (feats) to which I do not have access, which is why I thought about asking for suggestions.

You asked why oracle. Well, at this point, I think the life link portion of the oradin build is really why I am wanting to use the oracle. I will be in a a party of approximately five to six players. I want to be the main healer while still being a part of combat.

Btw, what does VMC mean?

Geddy2112
2015-11-16, 12:34 AM
MW greatsword is the better choice if you are going for power attack-you can and should contribute to combat, but you can only afford to spend feats on melee or ranged, not really both. Keep the bow and sword, but only invest feats/gold into one of them. Greater mercy is a solid feat choice for any paladin. Go 4 levels into oracle to help get the curse to level 4 and 2nd level spells. You don't need any revelations besides channel and life link, so skip extra revelation. The rest you can just build like a medic/beatstick pally.

I suggest the lame curse so you can eventually get no movement penalty to armor and immunity to fatigue/exhaustion to better focus your mercies.

Pyron Firehide
2015-11-16, 12:53 AM
MW greatsword is the better choice if you are going for power attack-you can and should contribute to combat, but you can only afford to spend feats on melee or ranged, not really both. Keep the bow and sword, but only invest feats/gold into one of them. Greater mercy is a solid feat choice for any paladin. Go 4 levels into oracle to help get the curse to level 4 and 2nd level spells. You don't need any revelations besides channel and life link, so skip extra revelation. The rest you can just build like a medic/beatstick pally.

I suggest the lame curse so you can eventually get no movement penalty to armor and immunity to fatigue/exhaustion to better focus your mercies.

A few questions then. Should I skip the divine hunter and go with hospitaler or sacred servant? I was thinking about picking up the tongues curse. I just reread the lame curse. That works since I will be wearing heavy armor anyway. Now I can carry up to heavy encumbrance without a problem, but then that would affect my skills, right? Would double cursed be worth it and get both lame and tongues? Now, if I go four level into the oracle, then would I be trying to go towards oe of the hellknight PrCs? Also, should I be having my oracle archetype be bonded spirit to get the link like through a different route and get a different mystery in addition to the essentials of a life oracle for oradin purposes?