PDA

View Full Version : Mage the Awakening: The Abedju Cipher

Shieldheart
2015-11-16, 01:35 AM
Mage the Awakening
The Abedju Cipher

Time: 6:15 PM, 7th October, 2015

The street in front of the Sanderson Museum was, compared to how it usually was, quite packed. Society mavens alighted from their limos and ferraris, wearing their finest duds as they mounted the stairs to the entrance to the museum, tonight flanked by two massive statues of Anubis and Horus. Pennants and posters declared this to be the gala night for the new Egyptian artifacts exhibition, a prime new attraction that had created quiet a buzz among the interested Sleeper groups...and among the Awakened.

A disparate collection of Mages now crowded the steps, each drawn to the exhibition by different ways. Or perhaps by the hand of fate, as at least one Mage would likely believe. Each of them knew at least one of the others, drawing them together in a web of connections. Fate or not, it was not likely it was merely chance that had drawn this particular group together on this night, at this place.

magicswordsman
2015-11-16, 09:18 AM
Azaezel

Azaezel looks over the crowd, a sick feeling in his stomach. Despite being dressed for the occasion in a fashionably cut tuxedo, this is absolutely not his scene. Fortunately, he has something for that. He reaches into his pocket and grasps the champagne cork stored there, a memento from a party last week. Closing his eyes for a moment, his body language shifts subtly as he assumes the Masque of the Bright Mantle.

That done, he looks over the crowd again, feeling much more comfortable, paying special attention to those he recognizes as mages.

Is it just the other player characters, or is there anyone else I recognize?

Masque of the Bright Mantle: Hope/Pride, +2 Socialize, -2 Subterfuge

qube
2015-11-16, 09:50 AM
OOC: I've got Fortune's Protection & Exceptional Luck on me (I'll keep post #6 of the OOC (the one with my sheet) up to date to my state)

Jack

Jack always liked the museum. Lucky he did, for as a scholar of history & religion, the museum was his second home - his first obviously being the library, and his third being that cheap building with a bed. It had come as a great surprise for his artificial eye to react to the a folder on the exhibit - but it did peek his interest. Having spend days reviewing roman scriptures for his job as sleeper, stepping once more into the 'real world', was going to be a nice change of pace. Both motivated by the mystery and the escape of tedious tasks, he decided to visit the museum ASAP - namely this evening. The only thing that bothered him a bit - was that he'd had to share the experience with the rich and famous. Not only did he have to be on his best, but their presence might become troublesome of he were required to invoke magic. It was a risk that the nagging feeling in the back of his head forced him to take. Taking the bad with the good, Jack prepared himself. A shower, a clean shave - his first the week - and new cloths should do the trick. ( 'new' for Jack meant washed. His most recent purchase, a pair of boots, was at least 6 months old).

As luck would have it, the cab he called was right on time, and arrived at the Sanderson, 6:15 on the dot. As unluck would have it, when he got out and paid the driver, a gust of wind wrecked havoc to his hair, which, for once, he had combed.

You wouldn't have anything to do with that?

he thought, while glancing up to the towering statue of Anubis. He stepped of the curb, in the sunset's shadow of the stone Horus statue, and attempted to undo the damage ...

Succeeding only half, he gazed upon the people that visited this testament of history. His eye fell upon Azaezel.

Hey, I know him ... odd ... this isn't where I would have suspected him to be ...

The mage crossed the sea of back tuxedos and fancy dresses to meet his fellow spell-weaver.

"Hi, I didn't didn't know you had an interest in ancient Egypt? Have you seen the collection of vases yet? I've heard they are displaying a couple of glass ones found in the latest dig. Pristine quality, or so I've been told."

magicswordsman
2015-11-16, 10:38 AM
"Hi, I didn't didn't know you had an interest in ancient Egypt? Have you seen the collection of vases yet? I've heard they are displaying a couple of glass ones found in the latest dig. Pristine quality, or so I've been told."

Time to dust off the small talk... No! Bad Conner. Be friendly!

"I'm afraid I haven't had the opportunity yet, but that certainly sounds exciting! This is actually my first visit. Jack, right? You're an egyptian aficionado, I take it?"

Katana1515
2015-11-16, 04:27 PM
Clad in a freshly laundered tux (compliments of his elderly landlady) Ignatius elects to order a black cab to get to the event. He hails it a certain distance from his rented home, and has it take a circuitous route to Sanderson Museum. It never hurt to be careful, and he preferred to arrive a little later on, all the better to get an idea of who, or what, he might be dealing with.

He has reason to expect a fair number of the local Awakened may be attending, so he elects to keep his usual facial features for once, so acquaintances might recognise him. He does take a few other precautions though, chanting ancient Atlantean words that seem to bubble up from the core of his being while sat in the privacy of the cabs backseat. He starts by channelling Wyld forces through his skin to make himself more resilient to physical injury, and just a few seconds prior to stepping out onto the steps, he throws on a pair of fashionable sunglasses which are subtly etched with runes older than recorded history.

Suddenly the prismatic flows of pure supernal magic permeate his vision, the socialites glittering aura’s a sharp contrast with the strongly defined stability of the colossal museum. As he approaches the crowd he quickly spots Azazeal, caught in conversation with another local mage. Just as he suspected, the event has provoked interest. He catches his fellow Guardians eye and gives him a swift, polite nod before moving on to the rest of the crowd, using a mix of knowledge, social intuition and Awakened magic to look for anyone else of ‘interest.’

Spells! Life Mage Armour got 2 successes on 7 dice, Prime Mage Sight got 2 on 5. Both are standard scene long duration.

I rolled Wits plus Investigation for checking out the crowd looking for anyone who stands out and got 2 successes. As well as generally looking out for anything magic, he will pause and check the Aura of anyone who stands out to him as interesting.

Just noticed that I totally forgot Magical Instruments were a thing! Will get on that ASAP, its always a fun thing to have. The shades are of course his Prime Arcanum foci.

grumpkin
2015-11-16, 04:28 PM
Nate retrieved a fresh pack of cigarettes from a red gym bag and roughly shoved back in various other items before zipping it.

"You know, its an art gallery not a war zone man. I think for one night you can do without all that stuff."

Marcus says from the drivers seat leaning casually on the steering wheel with one arm as he watches his friend wrestle the red bag. The glow from a lit match lights up his features as he stares through the windshield at the museum just up the road.

"You going to be ok in there? Wizards n' Ghosts n' ****?"

Nathan takes a pull form his cigarette and then his flask and then his cigarette again.

"Yes Marcus, I should be fine." Nate tosses the red bag into the back seat and pops open the passenger door and turns to stand.

"I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me..." He whispers and taps his fingers about his face in the form of the crucifix and stands. The smell of the evening air is refreshing and the rush of the cars passing by and the splash of small puddles from the recent rains is inviting to him. There is palpable buzz in the air tonight. He moves to slam closed the door, takes a final pull form his cigarette and drops it to the asphalt as he adjust himself and pulls close his coat.

Marcus observes him fidgeting outside the door, not wanting to stay, but unwilling to leave. He knows Nathan is not a fan of crowds of strangers. The mage turns to Marcus, as if he could read his mind.

"You may want to leave the car running just in case though..." His smile is potent and comforting and he taps reassuring on the roof and moves away towards the museum.

The Preacher moves up the crowded steps towards the entrance instinctively scanning faces in the crowd, expecting the worst. The cold feeling of the cross around his neck is comforting, a reminder of his faith; his power. His boots are fairly loud, not that the large man needed any introduction or forewarning. The size of him was enough to allow a fairly wide birth. His dark jeans were worn as were his boots. He wore with them a blue collared shirt that hung over his jeans, a white undershirt visible beneath and a leather coat over all that. Though certainly closer to 40 than 20, he had a carefree nature to him; a boyish charm and charisma.

He was excited to be here.

spinningdice
2015-11-16, 05:01 PM
Marie steps out of the flash car she'd borrowed, whispering thanks in the driver's ear before she stepped out. She cast her eyes around before heading up to the exhibition.

She'd decided on wearing a tux that looked like it was straight out of the '20s, complete with top hat, and her skull-topped cane, no face-paint today though, aside from her usual striking makeup, of course.

"Well then, let's see what this place holds" she murmurs quietly

Marie will be using her ghost-sight to see if anything truly magical pings, whilst she looks around.

Katana1515
2015-11-17, 03:26 PM
Scanning the crowd with a deliberately casual mien, Ignatius tracks a number of 'interesting' individuals prowling through the crowd. He notes the Mystagogue known as the Baroness making a distinctive entrance, he had best watch her carefully. A bit flashy for his taste, but still a very nice hat!

Seeing the Dragons Wings putting in an appearance at such an event was to be expected he supposed. But he certainly hadn't expected to see the Preacher here?

The Obrimos was wearing his usual gear, jeans and a coat that looks like it belongs on the set of El Dorado. With his distinctive confidence he was moving amongst Boston's well heeled elite without even a thought as to how much he stood out. He just had to find out what had brought the man here!

With quick deliberate steps Ignatius moves to intercept his fellow mage, but not before slipping out his phone for a few seconds and hashing out a quick text. He pockets the smartphone just as he catches up to the man, deep in the shadow of the Anubis statue.

He throws his arms wide in a dramatic gesture of welcome and speaks in a grave and haughty way.

Ho traveller! What brings the Mighty to the gates of death? He glances up at the jackal headed god looming over them before smirking wryly at the big man, he then looks at the crowd with an air of mild distaste. I hope you aren't here to shepherd the weak through this valley of darkness? I fear they are all too busy with their golden calves this evening to pay much attention."

He holds the pose for a few more seconds, as if expecting applause, before cutting the bulls**t and giving the Preacher a more genuine smile and offering his outstretched hand. Its been too long! What brings you to this den of iniquity and academia, I wouldn't pin it down as your scene?

grumpkin
2015-11-17, 06:35 PM
The Preacher eyes Ignatius with an even stare, allowing him to finish, with the patience of a man of God. When the new comer finishes his display of humor and greeting, Nathan politely accepts the hand and responds with a firm friendly handshake; locking eyes with the Mage.

"I have a fascination with Gods and worship." He says casually.

He turns to face the God Anubis, his hands tucked firmly in his pockets.

"Did you know that, not unlike Saint Peter, Anubis was believed to be Guardian of the Scales. He would weight your heart before you were admitted into the afterlife to determine your worth in life. If your heart weighed less than a feather, you would be ascend to heaven. If not, you would be devoured."

He stood there in silence observing the statue, his form towering over his companion. Just before it was uncomfortable he spoke.

"I'm here for a similar reason as you I'd suspect. I was asked to come." The Preacher turns his head to the side and series of cracks can be heard.

"Besides, what makes you think that Academia isn't my scene?" He says with a grin.

Katana1515
2015-11-17, 07:00 PM
Looking first back up at the Anubis statue and then down on the frolicking mass of socialites Ignatius remarks "An interesting comparison, but they are not entirely alike. Didn't the Man once say 'it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.' The smaller man chuckles to himself darkly " Somehow I don't suspect our friend Anubis has such a strict entry policy when it comes to the wealth creating classes, maybe that's why they are all so keen to greet him tonight?

He scans the crowd again, hands in pockets. Well, it looks like supernal scholars abound this evening he gestures towards the Baroness, Jack and Azazeal. Fancy doing the rounds with me? Its worth keeping on friendly terms with as many of the locals as you can. You never know when you might need a favour.

grumpkin
2015-11-18, 02:17 AM
Nathan takes in the advice casually nodding his head in agreement.

"After you then. I have very little knowledge of how this new world works."

qube
2015-11-18, 04:57 AM
"I'm afraid I haven't had the opportunity yet, but that certainly sounds exciting! This is actually my first visit. Jack, right? You're an egyptian aficionado, I take it?"

"Well, while I've studied the entirety of human history, I must say my interest does go toward ancient times. Viking, Rome, Egypt, Babylon, the Qin, ... times where, Gods, myths & magic were a more ... tangible concept."

It seemed like he was going to say something elese, but stopped. From the corner of his eye, he spotted Ignatius. One mage is a coïncidence, two ... well it seems that I'm not the only one who's drawn to this place.

"So, what brings you to this exhibit? I never figured you for one interested in history?"

He reaches down his pocket, and turns his two faced silver coin, with it, he activates his Sybil's Sight.

Standard Mage Sight, + the ability to detect momentous events (a reflexive Wits + Investigation roll)
(ex. a child's assertion that a beautiful woman "looks like an angel" may well resound in the mage's ears if there is something truly exceptional or even supernatural about her)

@Shieldheart, as it's the storyteller can freely decide what counts as a momentous event and what isn't, and as it's a reflexive action, I'd ask if you roll them (5 dice)

magicswordsman
2015-11-18, 11:09 AM
Azaezel

"So, what brings you to this exhibit? I never figured you for one interested in history?"

He reaches down his pocket, and turns his two faced silver coin, with it, he activates his Sybil's Sight.

Azaezel grimaces as he feels the spell cast, and casts one of his own.

Supernal Vision: 3 Successes (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=39e75108)
"So you said. Well, I could say that now is as good a time as any to begin cultivating an interest, and then obliquely imply that your interest isn't the only thing that brings you here, but I'm not feeling particularly deceptive at the moment. I'm fairly certain you know why I'm here, just like I'm fairly certain I know why you're here."

Supernal Vision: Mage sight, +1 to scrutinize and detect spells, mana, Hallows, and tass. Potency 3 (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=39e75108).

qube
2015-11-18, 12:07 PM
"So you said. Well, I could say that now is as good a time as any to begin cultivating an interest, and then obliquely imply that your interest isn't the only thing that brings you here, but I'm not feeling particularly deceptive at the moment. I'm fairly certain you know why I'm here, just like I'm fairly certain I know why you're here."

"Yes ... about that ... actually,"

Jack reveals with a smile

"I haven't got a clue why I'm here. Only that it ... felt ... like I had to be here. When fate gives apples ... well ... err ... you got apples ... no, wait ... that doesn't make sense ... Either ways, I assure you - I haven't got the faintest idea why you're here ... "

magicswordsman
2015-11-18, 02:15 PM
Azaezel

"Then I'm getting all nervous for nothing!" Azaezel smiles, relieved. "Truthfully, I know little more than you do. Shall we head inside, perhaps to find out more? Perhaps there will be drinks!"

Azaezel will wait for a response, but will head inside regardless.
Supernal Vision: Mage sight, +1 to scrutinize and detect spells, mana, Hallows, and tass. Potency 3 (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=39e75108).

Katana1515
2015-11-18, 03:19 PM
Nathan takes in the advice casually nodding his head in agreement.

"After you then. I have very little knowledge of how this new world works."

As the two men start walking towards their fellow Mages, Ignatius continues the conversation.
In all politeness Preacher, you might want to be careful who you tell that to. Knowledge is power to most denizens of this world, and lack of knowledge in an invitation to exploitation. Still, just give us a call if you need anything, no strings attached.

He palms a business card seemingly from thin air and hands it over to the larger man, its emblazoned with his shadow name and a mobile number. He smiles again as he says I reserve the right to be cryptic of course, wizards prerogative you understand?

Anyway, shall we speak to the one they call 'Baroness'?A tad trite for a Vodoo Necromancer I know, but each to their own I always say. She's the one with the fancy hat. Cant say as I know her too well to be honest, might be interesting to see what brings her out tonight?

Circling around Jack and Azazeal for now, Ignatius walks steadily towards the well dressed Moros.

Once they get within an appropriate distance Ignatius waves in a friendly way and greets her in a formal but not standoffish manner. "Nice to meet you again, I am afraid we haven't been properly introduced? I'm Ignatius and this is my friend Preacher, we were hoping for a few moments of conversation?"

Blatently stolen from Magicswordsman cause its a good idea.
Supernal Vision: Mage sight, +1 to scrutinize and detect spells, mana, Hallows, and tass. Potency 2.
Life Shield: Armour 3 vs physical attacks Potency 2.

In hindsight Spirit Vision would also have been a good idea, Oh well, next time!

grumpkin
2015-11-18, 04:58 PM
Nathan listens to the council given by Ignatius while staring ahead.

"Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Isaiah 5:21"

Don't trust anyone.

"Though I may look it, I'm not completely obtuse to all things in this life. I appreciate the advice and will do my best not to make a mess o' things.

Following the flow of the party towards the Baroness, Nathan narrows his eyes a bit to take her in. Something about her...

"Ma'am." Nathan says offering a casual two finger salute.

spinningdice
2015-11-19, 05:46 AM
Marie watches the two approach and listens to their introductions.

"If we're being all covert, then you may call me Baroness," Marie smiles with a hint of mischief.

"I'm always happy to speak with a fellow practioners, would you prefer to find somewhere a little more secluded for our liaison, or is it safe to speak out in the public eye." Marie gestures lightly to the mortal sheep around the gallery.

qube
2015-11-19, 10:56 AM
Azaezel

"Then I'm getting all nervous for nothing!" Azaezel smiles, relieved. "Truthfully, I know little more than you do. Shall we head inside, perhaps to find out more? Perhaps there will be drinks!"

"A solid idea, "

Jack noted as he too a final glance at the two towering statues, and all people in between

"I seem to recall seeing others as well. Perhaps they have a better understanding why we are here ...

Plus, chances are bigger whatever it its, it's inside, rather then out. "

He added as he held open the door for Azaezel

grumpkin
2015-11-20, 04:02 PM
Marie watches the two approach and listens to their introductions.

"If we're being all covert, then you may call me Baroness," Marie smiles with a hint of mischief.

"I'm always happy to speak with a fellow practioners, would you prefer to find somewhere a little more secluded for our liaison, or is it safe to speak out in the public eye." Marie gestures lightly to the mortal sheep around the gallery.

Nathan nods his head in agreement.

"Secret places for secret talks. I imagine one of you planned ahead."

Katana1515
2015-11-21, 07:52 AM
Nathan nods his head in agreement.

"Secret places for secret talks. I imagine one of you planned ahead."

unfortunately you have the wrong man if you think I can pull extradimensional space out of a handkerchief he points towards a quiet spot in the crowd near the feet of the Horus statue The sky gods shadow seems an apt place for such a conversation? Should give the masses a chance to gawk and disperse as well.

qube
2015-11-23, 12:36 PM
As Jack is opening the door, he spots the other mages, and decides to follow their lead & meet them at Horus' feet.

"Well well, I never expected to see you guys here."

He opens quite casually. Perhaps even a bit too casual for the situation at hand

"What brings you guys to this exquisite exhibit? Don't tell me ... you've heard about the fantastic collection of farmtools used by this majestic society, and decided to fill this dark wednesday evening with a splash of educational pleasure"

One might consider he was being sarcastic on the farmtool, if it weren't for the lack of sarcasm in is tone. Clearly Jack was a bit of a history nut.

grumpkin
2015-11-23, 05:08 PM
Nathan looks at the faces of the others, noting a lack of assertion and direction behind all the moxie and confidence.

Not a shepherd among them.

"I would imagine we are all here for similar reasons, we were asked to come. While Fate is a force to be respected, I have little confidence it was at work here. I suggest we make small talk for a while until the appointed time at which more will undoubtedly be revealed."

He takes a pull from a flask and puts it back into his coat.

"Many of you are strangers to me. Greetings... they call me the Preacher."

qube
2015-11-25, 05:58 AM
"Jack"

Jack introduces himself as he extends his hand to Preacher

"they call me One-eyed Jack, for obvious reasons."

referring to the marble orb that rests in his eye-socket

"And, well, I don't know about the rest of the bunch, but nobody asked me to come here. It seems that I'm more in the dark then the rest ...
I was actually here to see if there were interesting trinkets on display"

Katana1515
2015-11-25, 10:56 AM
@ Jack when he arrives

Ignatius nods towards his fellow mage and extends his hand in greeting, somehow managing to be formal without appearing stiff or old fashioned.
Greetings, always nice to see a fellow scholar! I don't believe we have had much opportunity for conversation before?

@ The whole group (Minus Azazeal who I assume is inside by now?)

If we are making introductions, then you can all call me Ignatius. I am something of a scribbler professionally, though sadly I don't have as much time to devote to the mundane arts anymore. Its a pleasure to meet you all.

Its interesting that we have all walked diverse paths to meet at this place tonight. Fate? Perhaps, though I often find that meaningful coincidences turn out not to be coincidences at all.....

spinningdice
2015-11-25, 04:24 PM
Well, I can only assume that there is some artifact of power here tonight, otherwise the whole event seems a bit of a waste of time, no?

Of course I can think of worse companions to waste time with Marie smiles and rather casually runs her eyes over her fellow mages bodies.

Shieldheart
2015-11-28, 03:25 AM
The stream of patrons sweeping up the stairs and into the museum slowly starts to dry up as the time for the opening approaches. As the trio of Nathan, Ignatius and Marie start to make their way to the Anubis statue, a puzzled-looking woman - a museum employee by the look of her clothing and the badge - approaches them. "Excuse me, sirs and madam, please head inside if you will. Our gala event is underway and we don't want you to miss anything," she says, smiling brightly, looking from Ignatius to Marie.

Jack and Azazeal are greeted by the sight of a party in progress, as they enter the museum. Men and women in formal clothing mingle with each other, holding glasses of wine, eating classy canapes as they talk and laugh. There are some very high class people present, including the mayor of Boston. Around them, the museum glitters. Priceless ancient artifacts hidden behind glass cages are illuminated by special lights from inside. Banners and pennants declaring the new exhibition line the walls.

A waiter approaches the two, smiling obsequiously. "Drinks, sir?" He offers, pushing his tray forward.

This is what Mage Sight/Investigation rolls lets them see:

You note the presence of two people as they pass you by on their way inside.

The Mayor of Boston: Aldridge Kingsley, a familiar figure to almost everyone in the city. He is short, heavyset, with an intimidating glare, but also a jovial presence. Some Guardians suspect he is under magical influence.
Selena Williams: An up-and-coming actress who has been vetted by the Guardians for possibly being Awakened. As far as you know, she is simply a Sleeper, with the possibility of being a Sleepwalker.

Supernal Vision: Intricate lines of resonance cover the museum, which is a solid chunk of reality. A surprising number of people moving past have strong Auras, including the girl who has just approached you.

You do not immediately recognize anyone other than the PCs, either outside or just inside the doors. Feel free to look around.

Supernal Vision: Inside the museum, energy lines criss-cross the space. A few of the artifacts burn steadily with resonance. There are a handful of people whose Auras point to them at least having been exposed to magic and at least two others who are...something else.

Grim Sight offers a glimpse of the weight of history around the museum. It throbs with the energy of Stygia, of long past times. The girl who approaches you has tendrils of dark energy leaking from her Aura. Certainly someone who has had brushes with death more often that might be considered usual for a museum docent.

Momentous event, noted. I'll see how to bring it into play soon.

As for the Sight itself, it reveals blue-white lines of fate energy linking several people and artifacts. The Sight interacts with the Eye of Dedwen; some artifacts throb with golden light. The fate lines congregate around two people in particular; a all black man in his mid-30s, with a lean athletic build, a cleanly shaven head and a thick, well-maintained Van Dyke beard and a middle-aged woman wearing a dress suit, who looks terribly distracted.

qube
2015-11-29, 03:57 PM
As Jack steps inside, he concludes that either non of his fellow mages knows exactly why they are here, or they aren't telling ...

Presented with a drink, he picks a random one from the tray and takes a sip, while scanning the room for interesting bits.

Spotting some Terry Crews wannabe, and a woman, oddly distracted, it seems he'll have to do some intelligence gathering on his own - something which is something of speciality for him ... not. Deciding to use his good ol' charm, he decides to see if the lady will be able to make him a bit wiser, he approaches her, and sees what fate has for him in store

"Hello, miss. Have you ... err ... no ... did you see the pieces of parchment"

refering to the ones on display behind her

"isn't it amazing how they were able to survive for thousands of years?"

(socialize: 0 successes) (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=a82c54d7)

spinningdice
2015-11-30, 04:11 AM
Of course, sweetie, just catching up with some future old friends.
So my dear, do you work here or have you just been drafted for the event?
Marie slips in close the attendant.

grumpkin
2015-12-01, 01:42 PM
Nathan regards the question with a blank expression. His demeanor is such that he was not interested in being interrupted.

"Are we staying or going?"

He asks the gathered group.

Katana1515
2015-12-01, 04:25 PM
Nathan regards the question with a blank expression. His demeanor is such that he was not interested in being interrupted.

"Are we staying or going?"

He asks the gathered group.

Shrugging the older man states Perhaps we should take this inside? A bit of warmth and something to drink wouldn't go amiss?

As they slip inside Ignatius (ever the gentleman) sweeps four glasses from a waiter and presents his prizes, one first to the lady Baroness, a second to the Preacher and he pushes the third on the confused museum attendant.

Looks like we really are in the 'big' leagues tonight, I spot the mayor in the corner. The sarcasm on 'big' is subtle but easily detectable. Bah, I should be more polite about our elected leaders shouldn't I? What can I say, though I am not naturally honest, I am sometimes by chance! A toast perhaps? To new beginnings on an auspicious evening?

In the process of doing this, Ignatius is going to concentrate on that poor attendant Marie is cuddling up to and get a closer look at her aura.

In the interests of making conversation, after his impromptu toast, Ignatius turns to Jack and tries to engage him in polite chitchat.

Do you get to travel much as a historian? I imagine you must be thrilled to be able to see some of the objects of your study firsthand? I personally have been rather pinned down to Boston of late, far too much work you understand

magicswordsman
2015-12-02, 04:08 PM
Azaezel

A waiter approaches the two, smiling obsequiously. "Drinks, sir?" He offers, pushing his tray forward.

Azaezel takes a glass graciously and moves into the crowd, for the moment keeping his distance from the two people that stood out to his mage sight. Finally alone, he checks his text message, tapping out a quick reply. He slowly makes a circuit around the room, studying the exhibits.

Specifically, looking for anything that matches his description of the Cipher.
Intelligence+Occult+1 (5) = 0 successes (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=f3c40f1e)

Shieldheart
2015-12-03, 10:01 AM
The middle-aged woman looks startled at Jack's clumsy attempt at conversation, She looks at him quizzically for a moment, then glances behind her to look at the parchments he'd referred to.

"Religious litanies from the court of Pantjeny," She intoned, glancing back at Jack. "It's some 3500 years old. Quite impressive, yes. Papyrii is good for long-term preservation, especially if kept in dry, air-starved areas." She smiled at him uncertainly, as if wondering if that was a good idea. "I'm sorry, where are my manners? I am Dr. Pierpont, curator of the museum. You are?"

The museum attendant, for her part, looked slightly uncomfortable as Marie sidled up to her. "Er, it's my job, yes. I'm pretty new to it though." She seemed relieved when Ignatius led the group inside, but her plan to scuttle away were dashed when he pushed a glass of wine into her hand. She took it uncertainly, glancing up at each of the group almost suspiciously, her gaze lingering on Nathan. She almost seemed about to say something to him, but a look at Marie and Ignatius seemed to change her mind.

The curator, meanwhile, raised an eyebrow as the new group approached and Ignatius engaged Jack. "Are you a historian then?" She asked him, sounding almost incredulous. "What's your specialty?" Her eyes fell on the attendant, who flushed. "Excuse me," the young girl murmured, casting another look at Nathan before walking away.

Peering into the young woman's Aura shows you a cavalcade of colours and scents: Her Aura is a deep yellow at its center, but a veritable melange of colours melded with each other over it. She was agitated, excited, slightly scared, suspicious of something or someone. Tellingly, her aura sparkled. It was very likely the woman was a Mage or at least a Sleepwalker.

Unfortunately, the Guardian's description of the Cipher was not very detailed. A cursory search of the Main Hall's relics does not stand out in any way. Of course, the museum stretches in all directions and the Guardians intimated that the Cipher may very well be buried in a vault somewhere.

Perhaps an attendant would know, or it might be more prudent to strike out alone to look for it.

grumpkin
2015-12-03, 04:01 PM
As the attendant moves away from them Nathan quietly excuses himself and steps through the small group and towards her, putting his hand on her arm to halt her movement. At times his large frame can be clumsy, but he fixes her with a casual smile that often helps put people at ease.

"Did you have something you wanted to add? You look like something weighs on you."

The Preacher towers over her though his body language suggests genuine intent. He looks around and lowers his voice a bit.

"Did you need to speak in private?"

Katana1515
2015-12-05, 10:16 AM
Watching the Preacher following the ‘attendant’ the Guardians eyes narrow in suspicion, too much was at play here tonight for him allow them to wander off unattended. That young woman had a purpose for being here tonight, and that was the kind of secret he needed to know. Fortunately he had a ‘friend’ who valued secrets just as much as he did.

The mage composes himself for a moment before reaching out along the well-worn empathic link between himself and the spirit known as Senaca. He quickly projects a swift pattern of emotions, beckoning, warm welcome and burning curiosity.

Surely enough mere moments pass before his familiar establishes telepathic contact. Each word is accompanied by the sound of fluttering wings on dark winds, and the crowing caws of a mischievous corvine.

“You called? It’s boring out here above the museum, perhaps I should come inside? Lots of glittering lights and clueless mortals, sure to be more interesting than out here.”

“Indeed I need you here! But not to play around, I have a task for you.”

Swiftly the mage describes Preacher and the attendant and charges the spirit to follow them closely and keep him abreast of any conversation. If they should separate the spirit is to track the hotel attendant and try and unpick as many of her secrets as it can.

Maintaining the link with the spirits alien mind and still engaging in normal conversation is draining, but it’s not the first time Ignatius has had to do it. Looking around its clear that Jack is more interested in conversing with his fellow historians, and he was beginning to suspect that the Acanthus was here on a hunch. He would keep an eye on the treasure hunter though.

The Baroness, remained mysterious, unsurprisingly for a Mystagogue, but still inconvenient. Wandering over to her Ignatius mutters to her “Have you heard the rumours about the Mayor? A little bird told me he’s under the ‘influence.’”

Shieldheart
2015-12-06, 11:12 AM
The attendant seemed surprised by Nathan's overture, but something in her expression shifted as she met his eyes. Her face hardened and she nodded once. Casting a look at the others, she took him by the elbow and led him away.

Outside the main hall, she pulled him along until she judges them to be at a safe distance. The young woman pushed Nathan into an alcove, standing snug with some ancient vase on a plinth and looked up at him intensely. "Alright, no bull****, let's cut straight to the chase." Her demeanour was certainly different than just before. "I am the one who sent you that invite. I know you're a Mage and yes, I'm a Mage, too."

She gave Nathan a moment to let that sink in. "I called you in because ****'s going down tonight and I needed backup outside my usual sources. I've seen you around. I thought you might work. What I didn't expect was for you to bring in a bunch of other folks I don't know." She looked agitated. "How well do you know 'em? They on the up and up, you think? They all Mages?"

Other than Katana1515 and grumpkin, I will ask other players to please not look into the above spoiler. I mean, you can, sure. But please don't. :P

grumpkin
2015-12-06, 03:29 PM
Nathan endures the angry barrage, his face turns sour quickly. With a move he seizes the smaller attendant by the shoulders lifts her up and places her down to the side.

"First off, I didn't bring anyone anywhere." his voice is hoarse and sharp.

"Second. I don't like surprises. You want my help, I need to trust you're worth helping. I am not a thug for hire, regardless of what you've heard."

He steps back allowing a moment.

"Lets start simple. I answer, you answer. I know a few of the people here, yes. I'm not about to speak for them, but they have been helpful and friendly. You're turn, what is about to go down?"

qube
2015-12-08, 10:51 AM
The middle-aged woman

"Religious litanies from the court of Pantjeny," She intoned, glancing back at Jack. "It's some 3500 years old. Quite impressive, yes. Papyrii is good for long-term preservation, especially if kept in dry, air-starved areas." She smiled at him uncertainly, as if wondering if that was a good idea. "I'm sorry, where are my manners? I am Dr. Pierpont, curator of the museum. You are?"
Jack stayed seemingly oblivious to the odd impression he made - mostly because it was not uncommon. His people skills were reserved for the two dimentional kind, stuck on paper, made of ink.

"Pantjeny, you say? doesn't immeditately ring a bell.
Oh, sorry, I'm Jacob - but my friends call me Jack."

((0 successes (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=c801d249) on knowledge on Pantjeny))

Ignatius

Do you get to travel much as a historian? I imagine you must be thrilled to be able to see some of the objects of your study firsthand? I personally have been rather pinned down to Boston of late, far too much work you understand

"Oh? Yes, of course"

Jack recovered from his failing introduction with miss Pierpont

"Mind you - most of the time, it's museums, libraries and tourist attractions. Nothing like them movies, where you travel through lost ruins and hidden cities."

The curator, meanwhile, raised an eyebrow as the new group approached and Ignatius engaged Jack. "Are you a historian then?" She asked him, sounding almost incredulous. "What's your specialty?" Her eyes fell on the attendant, who flushed.

"I've got a keen eye for Religions and Mythology"

The one eyes man responded with a smile, ignoring the fact she seemed was distracted

"Egypt, with it's extended pantheon, and it's close link between it's rulers & the gods, have always been an interest of me. It's a very nice exhibit you have organized here - I think I could wonder around here for a day or three. Is there something that you would say that I absolutely shouldn't miss?"

Shieldheart
2015-12-09, 02:12 AM
The attendant seemed surprised by Nathan bodily picked her up and setting her aside. Her face hardened and she folded her arms, but she let him say his piece before speaking again.

"Helpful and friendly is well and good before the spells start flying." She muttered, shaking her head. "Here's the deal." She said, straightening up and looking Nathan in the eye. "I don't know what's about to go down. Only that something is. I'm undercover, all right. I can't tell you too much. I wanted to bring you in because my people have been looking at you for a while and since you're not part of any of the Pentacle Orders, I thought you would be more trustworthy."

She sighed, rubbing her nose irritably. "This is what I can tell you. This exhibition is very likely compromised. I don't know the details. I only took this job a couple weeks ago. But I have reliable intel that there's an artifact here worth a lot to any Mage. And that someone or someones or maybe even something is going to try and acquire it. So I called you here to make sure this artifact doesn't fall into the wrong hands. Because I could trust that you wouldn't wanna just take it for yourself."

"Make sense? You in?"

"Pantjeny, Second Intermediate Period." She said absent-mindedly, before turning to look at Jack and smiling slightly.

"Jacob," Dr. Pierpont said, making a point not to use the diminutive offered. It wasn't clear whether she was simply irritated or amused. In any case, she glanced over her shoulder again, eyes shifting through the mass of guests teeming in the halls. She seemed only to be half-listening. "Religions and Mythologies, yes, fascinating, I agree. If you'll..."

She turned suddenly, fixing Jack with a keen stare. Her smile suddenly seemed sharper. "There are many priceless artifacts in this exhibition. Some never before displayed. I can't possibly highlight just a few. I encourage you to explore the museum, look around. I'm sure you'll find something of interest."

She turned again, looking at Ignatius. "Hello. Dr. Pierpont, curator the museum," , she said, extending her hand. "And you would be?"

grumpkin
2015-12-09, 12:44 PM
Nathan shakes his head side to side.

"Secrets and riddles...." his hands on his hips clearly frustrated.

"I will let the others know as well, if they're in it will be a help. If they're not... they'll be happy for the warning."

Nathan moves away from the conversation and back to gathering and Ingnatius. He walks slowly though, taking time to dial a number on his phone.

"Hey, its me. You better get my bag ready. Looks like there may be trouble." he says and then turns off the device.

Katana1515
2015-12-11, 04:31 PM
Ignatius struggles to keep the scowl from his face at the over heard conversation. Reminding his familiar to keep tabs on this strange woman. She seemed oddly hostile to the Pentacle, could she be a puppet of the Throne?

Too many factors were at play here already, he needed to get what he had come for and get out. Magically influenced mayors would have to wait.

So shortly after passing on the tidbit about the mayor to Marie the Guardian inclines his head to her gracefully and strides into the museum. Whatever he is looking for should reveal itself under his prismatic vision but is clearly not in this room. Perhaps a quick sweep of the rest of the exhibition might be revealing?

I am moving away from Marie and exploring the rest of the exibition methodically room by room using Supernal Vision to guide me.

Shieldheart
2015-12-13, 03:47 AM
The young attendant seems frustrated by Nathan's reaction, but she doesn't run after him. Instead, she takes a moment to compose herself, before going back out among the crowds, putting on the vacuous smile expected of museum docents. She keeps an eye on Nathan and the others however and her eyes narrow when she notes Ignatius slipping away.

After a moment's hesitation, she follows Ignatius.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The museum is a very large buildings, full of corridors and halls. The main door opens onto the main hall where the majority of people are gathered. But the other exhibition rooms are by no means empty. Ignatius passes chattering guests as he makes his way through the right side of the building. His Supernal vision scrutinizes every artifact.

Energy lines crisscross the museum. Several artifacts shine with magical resonance, making it difficult to ascertain which, if any, are the Cipher. The Guardians' missive had identified it as an ancient bracelet. So far, none of the artifacts match that exact description. Then again, the missive warned that the description could be wrong.

The sound of the other guests fade slightly as Ignatius comes across a crossroads. The right hand corridor is dimly lit and seems to lead to a row of offices. The left hand is fully dark. Storage, perhaps?

Before he could investigate further, he is interrupted.

"Hello, sir." The attendant from before interrupts. "Are you looking for a tour of the museum? I would be happy to help. Looking for anything in particular?"

Katana1515
2015-12-13, 10:30 AM
Thanks to his link to Senaca, its blatantly obvious that the "attendant" is following him. So quickly the hunter becomes the hunted? Well lets see if we cant flip the tables eh?

Taking note of his location and deciding to head for the less inhabited bowels of the building he pulls out his phone once more and hammers out a quick text while simultaneously reaching out to his Familiar.

@Senaca Okay, I am going to try and lure this woman out, go find Azazeal and lead him to my location as back up. I will try and keep her talking as long as I can. Move with haste.

He notes the various artifacts that display resonance, but dismisses them for now. Dealing with this woman takes priority, he would return to double check them after that was done with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With his plan in motion, this was the crunch point. I suppose he would just have to trust that the woman wasn't about to whip out a pistol or a vulgar spell and end it right here......

Don't you hate looking for a needle in a haystack? Cant say as I am looking for anything in particular, just fancied a break from the crowds. Why is their anything you would particularly recommend seeing?

qube
2015-12-13, 01:56 PM
She turned suddenly, fixing Jack with a keen stare. Her smile suddenly seemed sharper. "There are many priceless artifacts in this exhibition. Some never before displayed. I can't possibly highlight just a few. I encourage you to explore the museum, look around. I'm sure you'll find something of interest."

"... yes"

Jack started hestiant, but optimistically continued

"Will do. I'll leave you to your task then. Doctor"

He tips his hat with a smile in goodbye, and directs his attention to the scroll stand, reading all the plaques.

If there's nothing particulairy interesting (other then humanity's history being inked down as in bite sized factoids, of course), he'll make his way to the athletic black person and sees if there's a moment he can talk to him without the interference of strangers.

grumpkin
2015-12-14, 05:39 PM
Nathan returns to group and fills in anyone who is there as to what is going on.

"She was not all that specific, but she said something was going down tonight and that she's one of us. I wonder if we should get these people out of here, pull a fire alarm or something...and did anyone see where Ignatius went?"

Nathan takes a step away and texts Morgan in the car. TROUBLE. LOAD THE JUDGE.

He begins looking for Ignatius.

Shieldheart
2015-12-15, 07:34 AM
The attendant seems to be sizing Ignatius up. Nathan had not told her anything useful about any of them, and the way Ignatius had broken away and taken to wandering the exhibition alone had caught her eye. "I wouldn't know where to start, sir," she said, putting on a smile. "This exhibition has some pieces that have never before been showcased anywhere. Real prize pieces, crown jewels of any collection. She was still smiling. "Perhaps you could tell me what sort of thing you are interested in? Papyri scrolls, ancient stelae, some magnificent jewelry, funerary masks. From all through Egypt and the Near East's history too."

She seemed to be trying to read Ignatius, trying to get a bead on exactly what he was up to. She had no idea he knew she was a Mage after all.

Rolled some dice (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=d6fdf7ad). If you want to keep her from reading your expressions, etc. roll your own dice (Composure + Subterfuge is one possibility for a pool).

Btw, it should be 1 success, not 2. So, you need 2 successes to fool her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Pierpont nodded politely as Jack extricated himself from their conversation, but her eyes followed him keenly, almost anxiously, as he moved away.

There is one scroll that shimmers and flickers under your Mage Sight, lines of destiny criss-crossing it, its words seeming to dance if you looked at it from the corner of your eye. It read, "Prayer scroll from the Eighteenth Dynasty, recited at the court of Pharaoh Akhenaten". Whatever it was, it was magic. And whatever it was, it was not the Cipher. Probably.

As Jack approaches the tall, dark man, their eyes meet and the man gives a small, polite smile. Under Mage Sight, shimmering blue lines connect him to the walls of the museum and with several other people in the crowd, including the curator Pierpont and the mayor. The connections are not stable. They flicker and die, only to reappear in different configurations.

Then, for an instant, an image flashes in Jack's eyes. Of the man laughing or screaming, his mouth open, his eyes wide. He is wearing some sort of tactical gear and he holds a gun in his hand. Behind him, his nimbus flares, a great white shroud that sings with the voice of a thousand angels.

"Hello, the man says, his accent thick. "I could not help but notice you speaking with the good curator, Dr. Pierpont. Is she an acquaintance of yours?" He asked, smiling that small smile again. "I am Remmy Odoya. And you are?", he asked, raising his right hand to shake Jack's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unless you want to cast a spell of some sort, I'd like a dice roll to pick up Ignatius' trail. However you want. It can be as simple as asking people whether they'd seen a man of his description or something more involved.

magicswordsman
2015-12-18, 10:25 AM
Azaezel

It takes Azaezel some time to decide what to do. He dithers, pretends to browse the objects, and finishing his champagne, before finally deciding to risk doing some magic. He relaxes a little and assumes his usual personality, feeling his masque slough off. Then he heads for a bathroom.

Ensconcing himself in a stall, he goes through the motions of casting Incognito Presence from rote. The casting is successful, but it isn't as strong as it might be.

Wits + Investigation + Mind (7) = 1 success (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=88d8002c)
Not good enough...

Azaezel ends the spell and tries again. This time he outright fails to cast it.

Wits + Investigation + Mind (7) = 0 successes (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=ac813086)
Get it together, Azaezel!

Wits + Investigation + Mind (7) = 3 successes (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=3bffc633)
Finally.

Spellcasting done, Azaezel ventures back into the museum and extends his search past the exhibits, looking for where delicate or valuable objects might be kept.

Dexterity + Stealth (5) = 1 success (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=c115b8be)

Supernal Vision: Mage sight, +1 to scrutinize and detect spells, mana, Hallows, and tass. Potency 3 (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=39e75108). Scene duration.
Incognito Presence: Penalizes attempts to notice or remember. Mental shield grants reflexive Gnosis + Mind vs Potency to ignore. Potency 3 (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=3bffc633). Scene duration.
Spell Tolerance Penalty: -1

qube
2015-12-19, 04:31 PM
She's acting quite ... skittish Jack noted as he left. Sure she was under a lot of stress, this being an important event and all ... but he wondered if there was something else going on with her.

The image that had flashed before his eyes made him slightly hesitant to to meet the man, but from it, he deduced that the guy was probbably a bodyguard, or security, or somethign in that like. Non the less, he wanted to be sure.

Shaking Remmy's hand with a firm grip, he introduced himself

"The name's Jacob, Jack for friends. No no, I wasn't an acquaintance of the mademoiselle. Purely a fan."

Jack repays Remmy's smile with a smile of his own

"Really, the art of making a fine exhibit is a underrated one. I've visited many, and this one is quite nice. Especially with the fine artifacts on display. A very nice display of New Kingdom of Egypt. I take it you're a history buff like me?"

OOC: trying to make Remmy divulge info about him: 1 succes. (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=0526d136)

Katana1515
2015-12-23, 01:04 PM
The attendant seems to be sizing Ignatius up. Nathan had not told her anything useful about any of them, and the way Ignatius had broken away and taken to wandering the exhibition alone had caught her eye. "I wouldn't know where to start, sir," she said, putting on a smile. "This exhibition has some pieces that have never before been showcased anywhere. Real prize pieces, crown jewels of any collection. She was still smiling. "Perhaps you could tell me what sort of thing you are interested in? Papyri scrolls, ancient stelae, some magnificent jewelry, funerary masks. From all through Egypt and the Near East's history too."

The Guardian smiles in a manner that is simultaneously friendly yet inscrutable. I fear its really a few moments away from the crowds and noise that I really craved, but tell me, you seem unusually knowledgeable for a girl in a uniform? What brings you to a place like this?

Remaining stoically casual Ignatius scans the corridor. Where is Azazeal?