PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help understanding Aerial Combat Feat

kettch631
2015-11-16, 02:20 AM
I am currently playing in a D&D 3.5 home campaign. I have made a Raptorian Storm Talon archer, as part of my bonus flight feats from the class I picked up Aerial Combat, and Advanced Aerial Combat. The problem I am running into is Aerial Combat says "When using weapons in flight you gain +2 to attack rolls." and Advanced Aerial Combat says "Your effective attack area is double that of normal." so my question is, what is doubled? is it the range on my bow, or my melee attack range? or does Aerial Combat only work within a certain range from you? I can't seem to find the answer, any help you guys could offer would be awesome. I did find both off of dandwiki under aerial feats. Cant seem to find either in any of the books, 3.0 or 3.5 that i have.

torrasque666
2015-11-16, 02:25 AM
I did find both off of dandwiki under aerial feats. Cant seem to find either in any of the books, 3.0 or 3.5 that i have.

dandwiki...
That there is your problem. Its homebrew. Hell, it even says so at the bottom.(Back to Main Page > 3.5e Homebrew > Character Options > Feats > Aerial) Half the time these things are horribly written and don't entirely understand the rules of the game they are writing for.

kettch631
2015-11-16, 02:49 AM
I did notice the homebrew part, but most of the other feats I found on the same page are in the books, so i was hoping that it was originally in a book somewhere. Or if anyone has seen something similar in the books or in WoTC official material before. It was hard finding 5 aerial feats period, let alone ones worth taking.

torrasque666
2015-11-16, 09:39 AM
Stormtalon literally provides a list of what's available for its bonus feats.

Bonus Aerial Feat: At every even-numbered level, you learn a new trick useful to aerial combat. Choose a feat from the following list: Aerial Reflexes, Aerial Superiority, Born Flyer, Diving Charge, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Flight, Multiattack, Wingover
So I'll go over them here.

Aerial Reflexes: Depending on your maneuverability, this varies from being about as worth as Lightning Reflexes, to being a little worse than a Cloak of Resistance (especially given that its a free feat)

Aerial Superiority: Kind of a "meh" feat. Its about as useful as Dodge, but you don't have to declare it.

Born Flyer: This isn't worth it.

Diving Charge: Decently nice, given that a charge will double your damage from your Foot Talons (but not the additional damage from the feat).

Flyby Attack: Generally considered good.

Hover: Very good if you plan on making full attacks while flying, as without it (or perfect/good maneuverability) you need to keep moving.

Improved Flight: better maneuverability is nice, especially when paired with Aerial Reflexes. Gets you up from Average maneuverability to Good

Multiattack: Decreases the penalty for using your talons in conjunction with your handheld weapons

Wingover: Another "eh" feat. Good if you only have Average Maneuverability, because otherwise its gonna take minimum two turns (heh) to get you to being able to hit the same target again, but not worth it if you have Good maneuverability.

I would suggest Flyby Attack, Multiattack, Diving Charge, Hover/Improved Flight, and Aerial Reflexes. In that order.

kettch631
2015-11-19, 12:55 AM
thanks for your help, i am talking to my gm about retraining some feats that i took to help my flying, some of those i took before becomming a storm talon, but should all work out. Thanks for all the help