PDA

View Full Version : Powers(no, not psionics)

criticalstriker
2007-05-31, 04:49 PM
Powers:

1 in 10 creature on Toulios are born with a power. This power could be many things, the ability to produce flames, the ability to control light, the ability to control winds, the ability to read minds. These powers grow stronger as the character does. Roll on the chart below to determine the power. These powers can be used at will, unless other wise stated.

The fuel for these powers is called Navitus, it is a spirtual energy that flows through all matter. A character gets Navitus just like a Psion gets power points. Only, the user uses his Con instead of his Int for the purpose of determining his bonus Navitus.

Shape shifter:
At first level a creature born with the shape shifter power gains the ability to use the shape shift ability (as the changeling). PP cost: 1

At 5th level a creature born with the shape shifter power gains the ability to use alter self. Navitus cost: 5

At 10th level a creature born with the shape shifter power gains the ability to use polymorph. Navitus cost: 10

At 20th level a creature born with the shape shifter power gains the ability to use shapechange. Navitus cost:: 20

Fire control:
At first level a creature born with the fire control power can use Control Flames (as the power from XPH, page 87). He is always considered one level above his actual level for this power.

He may also use the spell burning hands(with his level as the caster level) once every 2D4 rounds. Navitus cost::4

Control water:
At first level a character born with the Control Water power can use Control Water(as per the spell, page 214 of the PHB). A character is always considered one level above his actual level for this power.

He may also use the spell Create Water(with his level as his caster level) once every 2D4 rounds. Navitus cost:4

Mind Control:
At first level a character with the mind control power can use charm person(as per the spell). Navitus cost::1

At 5th level a character can use suggestion(as per the spell).Navitus cost:: 5

At 10th level the character can use Dominate(as per the spell). Navitus cost:: 10

At 20th level the character can use Mind Switch, true(as per the power). Navitus cost:: 20

Control light:
At first level a character with the Control Light power can use Control Light(as per the power). Navitus cost::1

At 5th level a character with the Control Light power can use DayLight or Darkness(as per the spell). Navitus cost::4

At 10th level a character with the Control Light power can use scorching ray(as per the spell). Navitus cost::7

At 20th level a character with the Control Light power can use Sunburst(as per the spell). Navitus cost::10

Telekinesis:
At first level a character with the Telekinesis power can use mage hand.

At 10th level a character with the Telekinesis power can use Telekinesis(as per the spell). Navitus cost:10

Concealment:
At first level a character born with Concealment can gain a 25% concealmeant. Navitus cost::1

At 5th level a character born with concealment can gain 50% concealment. Navitus cost::3

At 10th level a character born with Concealment can turn invisible(as per the spell). Navitus cost::5

At 20th level a character born with Concealment can use Greater Invisibility(as per the spell.) Navitus cost::10

Phase:
At first level a character with phase can turn ethereal for 1 minute every hour.Navitus cost:: 1

At 5th level a character with phase can use blink (as the spell) for 50 minutes an hour. Navitus cost::5

At 10th level a character with Phase can turn ethereal for 2 hours every 3 hours. Navitus cost:: 10

At 20th level a character with Phase can turn ethereal for as long as they like. Navitus cost:15

Teleportation:
At first level a character with Teleportation can teleport anywhere within 20ft Navitus cost: 4

At 5th level a character with Teleportation can teleport anywhere within 50ft Navitus cost::7

At 10th level a character with Teleportation can use Teleport(as per the spell). Navitus cost:: 10

At 20th level a character with Teleportation can use Teleport without error(as per the spell) Navitus cost:: 15

All the above spells are considered mass teleport, for the purpose of how many people can come.

Juggernaut:
At first level some one born with Juggernaut gains +4 strength, and +1 Natural armor(non-stacking)

At 5th level some one born with Juggernaut gains +6 strength and +2 natural armor(non-stacking)

At 10th level some one born with Juggernaut gains +8 strength, and +3 natural armor(non-stacking)

At 20th level some one born with Juggernaut gains +10 strength and +4 natural armor(non-stacking)

Control Lightning:
At first level some one with control lightning can create an arc of lightning 20ft long, and 5ft thick. This arc deals 1D6 damage Navitus cost::1

At 5th level some one with control lightning can create a effect identical to that of Lightning Bolt(as per the spell) Navitus cost:: 5

At 10th level some one with control lightning can create and effect identical to that of chain lightning(as per the spell) Navitus cost::10

Force fields:
At first level some one with force fields can project a shield around his/her entire body that protects them from all damage. This shield can be cast on any object, or person, within 60 ft. The object or person cannot be larger than large sized. The shield has 10 hitpoints + 5 for every point of wisdom modifier the creator has. This shield dispels after 20 minutes. Navitus cost:: 3

Healing:
A character with this power can heal others with a single touch. At first level a character with this power can heal 1D8 points of damage to a target(this cannot be used to damage undead). This power increases by 1D8 for every 3 levels.

Detection:
At first level a character with this power can use Detect Evil, and Detect Good.

At 5th level a character with this power can use Detect Chaos and Detect Law, and may now detect other peoples powers.

At 10th level a character with this power can Detect magic, and Psionics. And may now detect how strong a persons power is.

Empathic:
At first level, some one with the Empathic power, can transfer wounds from some on, onto himself. Effectively healing the target for as many points as the user wishes, but the user take's the same amount of damage.

Consumption:
At first level some one with consumption can take the powers of other creatures by spending three days, spending 500 GP preparing a brain. They must then eat the brain.
Once eaten, the user must sacrifice 1000XP per level of the creature he is eating the brain of. If the creature in question had multiple powers, the user gains the original power of the creature, every other power only has a 50% chance of being taken. Navitus cost:: 4

Sonic Scream:
A character with Sonic Scream can, as a full round action, release a scream of deafening loudness in a 30ft cone. The scream deals 1D8 (reflex for half) damage per 2 levels. The target is denied a reflex if he cannot cover his ears Once the scream has reached 3D8 damage, the characters scream begins to actually throw things.

From 6th level on, the target must make an opposed strength check, if they fail, they are thrown 5 feet for every 1 point of difference between the users roll, and the targets roll. The user is considered to have a strength bonus of +5 per 2D8 damage in their scream.

Duplication:
At first level a person with the Duplication power can create a clone of their self by stabbing his hand into a helpless victim of his size catagory, and type, in the stomach, and using up 1000 GP with of raw materials .The victim must make a fortitude save of DC (10 + the users intelligence modifier) or be turned into a perfect clone of the user. After this, the victim must make a will save DC (15 + the users intelligence modifier) or his mind will be lost forever. If he succeeeds, he still has control over him self.

This clone is completely loyal to the maker, and will do almost anything (outside of blatant suicide) for him. The only way for a clone to break this, is to make a will save DC (15 + the users cha modifier). If the clone succeeds, he can act freely, and is no longer loyal to the user.

The clone starts off 6 levels below the original(to a minimum of one), and has -4 to all stats from the original. Any feats that the original at the level the clone is, the clone gets. Even if he doesn't meet the requirements, I.E, Teris is level 9, and has a dex of 15, and took the two weapon fighting feat at 3rd level, he creates a clone that is level 3 and has a dex of 11, the clone still has two-weapon fighting, even though he doesn't qualify for it. This only works when the clone is first created, the clone may not qualify for any other feats that he doesn't meet the requirements for, after his creation.

The clone's skill points are recaulculated using its new ability scores, and are placed where the users would have placed them at this level.

Wall Climbing:
Some one born with wall climbing is treated as having Spider Walk (as the spell) on him at all times. Some one with Wall climbing can also create a web identical to that of a monsterous spider. At first level his web has the strength of a medium sized spider. At 5th, it has the strength of a large sized spider. At 10th, it has the strength of a huge sized spider. At 20th, it has the strength of a colossal sized spider.

Danger Sense:
Some one with Danger Sense can do just that, sense when something bad is about to happen. They gain a +5 to all spot/listen checks vs people who would do them harm, +5 to all search checks to find traps, +1 innate AC, and +2 reflex saves.

Super Reflexes:
Some one born with super reflexes gains a +5 (+1 for every 3 levels) to reflex saves. They also gain +1 luck AC per 5 levels.

Telepathy:
At first level some one with Telepathy can communitcate telepathically with anyone within 10 ft (+10 ft for every point of intelligence modifier)

At 5th level some one with Telepathy can send out a blast of mental energy at a target, as a full round action. The target must make a will save DC (10+plus the character level + the characters charisma modifier) or take 1D12 per 3 levels, as his mind is overloaded.

Immortality:
At 1st level, some one with Immortality gains Fast Healing 1.

At 5th level, If put at -10, some one with Immortality doesn't die. They merely go into a coma until they have enough hitpoints to wake up. If a piece of their body is severed (like the head, arm, or other part) it just has to be held to the part is came off of, and it reattaches. If the part is not put agains't the stump, the user grows a new one in 2D4 days. The only way to kill some one wit Immortality permanently is to drive a stake into the skull, heart, and lungs of the person. If the person is stabbed in only one of these spots, they merely have to remove the stake and they will begin to regenerate.

Speed:
At first level and every third level afterwards someone with Speed gains +10 to all forms of movement speed.
At 5th level some one with Speed gains the use of haste Navitus cost:: 8
At 20th level some one with Speed gains the use of Timestop Navitus cost: 20

Fast Healing:
At first level some one with fast healing, has fast healing 2.

At 3rd level some one with fast healing, has fast healing 3

At 5th level some one with fast healing, has fasting healing 5

At 10th level some one with fast healing, has fast healing 10

At 20th level, some one with fast healing, has fast healing 15

P.S: The reason there isn't a table as mentioned above is because I don't have enough to make a table..

Fizban
2007-05-31, 07:18 PM
Heroes much?

DracoDei
2007-05-31, 07:32 PM
Yeah, it does make for a highpowered setting if that is what you mean...
I would think that many of the clerical domains COULD make reasonably good bases for powers.
Hmm... how about a walking sensor with every "Detect _________" spell on the books by the time they get to 20th?

criticalstriker
2007-05-31, 07:45 PM
I actually think he meant the show, which, yeah, I did get the inspiration for this from.

Hmm... how about a walking sensor with every "Detect _________" spell on the books by the time they get to 20th?

Thats great :D!

AmberVael
2007-05-31, 08:32 PM
I'm failing to understand why the "Control Light" people don't get the "Control Light" power.
I mean, doesn't that make a lot of sense for them? :smallconfused:

Vadin
2007-05-31, 09:41 PM
Heroes?
Not XANTH?
If you haven't already, check out the Xanth books by Piers Anthony.
Everyone in Xanth has a power and, trust me on this, they're far crazier and more magicy than Heroes.

criticalstriker
2007-06-01, 11:52 AM
Ok, I updated the page with some changes, and more powers that I have gotten from people, or come up with.

I still need more though :P Feel free to offer any you can think of.

Oh, and I know that some powers are very strong compared to others, they aren't supposed to be perfectly balanced.

Ceres
2007-06-01, 12:14 PM
Ut's a cool idea, but is it supposed to be balanced? Because it certainly is not for a traditional campaign, and some powers are powerful enough to change the whole style af a campaign.

The healing-power will ensure that the party will always be at full HP at the start of an encounter, and being able to surruond yourself with a forcefield at will is quite powerful indeed.

While unlimited mage-hand sure is cool, it is nothing compared to some of the others. What sort of campaign are you making to accomodate such powers?

criticalstriker
2007-06-01, 12:39 PM
Its supposed to be semi-balanced. No, the powers are not supposed to be perfectly in line with each other, but thats not to say I want one power to dominate all other powers.

I know it will change the whole field of battle, and the all challenges by level would be a lot weaker than they should be. I am planning a few things to fix that much.

I really haven't thought of the story of the campaign yet :smalltongue: I just know I am going to make a world (or rather, different version of a world I already have) to accommodate these powers.

criticalstriker
2007-06-01, 04:59 PM
Oh, btw, the purpose of this post really wasn't about balance (I know its going to be hard to balance some of this). It was asking your help in coming up with new powers.

criticalstriker
2007-06-03, 03:15 PM
I added some more of the powers I've gotten.

Heroes?
Not XANTH?
If you haven't already, check out the Xanth books by Piers Anthony.
Everyone in Xanth has a power and, trust me on this, they're far crazier and more magicy than Heroes.

Thank you, I'll look into them.