PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Imago (The Chaos Gnomes)

M Placeholder
2015-11-16, 04:24 AM
Dear Factol Torrance

Hope you are enjoying your fact finding trip to the Prime, and I am looking forward to any tomes you bring back from the library of the nation of Zilargo. There was quite an interesting visitor to the Parted Veil while you have been gone.

It was three days ago that this woman, quite a turn or two younger than me, walked into the store. Cleve took one look at her, and her blonde topknot hairstyle and bright clothing, and instantly started to put away any loose objects. See, he thought that the young woman was a kender, and would leave with full pouches after driving us two barmy. But it became clear this was no kender – she was slightly shorter than those folk, and while she was as restless as one, she never once put anything in a back pocket.

When she came into the shop, she was wearing bright red and orange garb that made my eyes hurt even more than when she was showing off her skills in magic.

She told us that her name was Zerralin Flareiris Sunbrake the Amender, and she was an Imago. Apparently they are called chaos gnomes by those bloods that know the dark, but they don’t look that much like gnomes. Her nose was small, and her eyes shifted colour depending on how bored she was. When I showed her texts relating to the transmutation school, her eyes burned like the fires of Dis, but soon after she started to read a passage relating to clerical elemental magic that I transcribed when I spoke to Aaronatok during the trip to the Beastlands I took a few years ago, they turned a dull greenish blue and she wandered off. When she came across a wand that I was going to get round to looking at, she managed to get it working.

A few minutes later, after she turned a number of old books about recipes from Shurrock into chipmunks, and then used a few cantrips to clean up the mess and fix a broken window, I realised that she was exceptionally skilled at transmutation. After I had made the entire street look like it was made out of velvet and filling the air of the ward with space hamsters, we sat down and talked.

Apparently the imago, as they call themselves, call the Elemental Chaos kip. Its the plane that surrounds the inner plane, where all the elements break down in a way that would bring a tear to a sinkers eye. They live in the huge chunks of land that drift around the plane, and use their skills in transmutation to stop the Islands from falling apart and to sculpt the chaos. Guess they don’t need some power to do that. Sometimes, when they cannot hold the islands together anymore, entire communities will just up and leave to find new ones, and apparently that’s how Zerralin ended up in the cage – when they were casting a transmute spell to stop a huge boulder from putting a number of them in the dead book, she opened up a portal to Sigil and ended up in the Lower Ward.

Maybe one day I pen a book on ‘em, if I can hold the cutters attention – they have attention spans so short they make a guvner look like a kender. Apparently, all of the bashers talk so fast it’s hard to keep up, in either Gnomish or the cant.

As for powers, the imago don’t even care much for them – and none of them had even heard of Garl Glittergold. Zerralin said she got bored and stated to turn the gems in the temple into curdled milk, and then decided to go to the festhall.

I’ve managed to get my hands on an advance copy of the tome that was being written on the Elemental Chaos. I think that a new chapter needs to be written.

Believe well,

Kesto Brighteyes.

As an imago, you have the following traits -

Ability Score Increase – your Charisma score increases by 2 and your dexterity by 1
Age – Imago reach adulthood at age 30 and can live to 150 years old
Size – Imago stand between 3 to 3 foot 5 inches tall, and weigh around 30 pounds. You are a small creature.
Low light vision – You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light.
Speed – Your base speed is 25 feet.
Lucky – When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check or a saving throw, you can reroll the die and you must use the new roll.
Sense of Chaos – you have proficiency in the Perception Skill.
Imago Arcana - You know the Prestidigitation or the Thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast Purify Food and Drink once per day, and once you reach 5th level, you can cast Spike Growth once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and you have advantage on attack rolls for spells from the transmutation school equal to your charisma modifier per day.

The Chaos Gnomes appeared in the 3.5 guidebook Races of Stone. Kesto Brighteyes appears in the Planescape guidebook Uncaged: Faces of Sigil

M Placeholder
2015-11-16, 04:29 AM
This is an update to the Chaos Gnomes from Races of Stone.

Since the Githzerai and the Slaadi were placed back into Limbo for this edition, there has been no race native to the Elemental Chaos. Looking at the lore of the Imago, I fitted it for the Elemental Chaos. The Githzerai use their will to control and shape the chaos of Limbo, and looking at the lore of the Imago, using Transmutation magic to control The Elemental Chaos seemed to fit, which is why they are so good at it.