PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [PF] Help for a character with a solo-challenge

jenotus
2015-11-16, 09:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Situation:
Since I am 99,9% of my time playing dnd 3.5, I am much more fluent in optimization / rules there compaired to Pathfinder.
However, a potential challenge, which I found interesting, will happen soon.

A solo-challenge with 6 consecutive encounters is planned with following conditions/ frame parameters:

Level of the characters: 6
Number of players for this challenge: solo (1)
Number of consecutive encounters: 6
Location of the encounters: various demiplanes with different environment, buffs are taken over from one location to the other, but static spells (tiny hut) are not.
Healing/Refresh: Can happen between the encounters, but leads to lower point rating (hence is to be avoided)
Wealth: as per level (16.000 gp, no more than 25% on a single item)
Attributes: 20-pt buy
Hit Points: 1st full, next 5 levels average (rounded down)
Traits: 1 Trait allowed (additional ones can be obtained normally)

Allowed material: official PRD (core)
Allowed architypes and classes: all from the official PRD
Familiars and animal companions are allowed (can be even taken outside core)

Kind request:

I am looking for builds (incl. suggestions for itemization).
My personal knowledge / preference would let me tend towards a Wizard / Druid, as I think their versatility will help me to easily defeat most of the encounters.

Initial thoughts from my side:
- Druid with animal companion (stegosaur) and summoning focus (+scrolls) to overwealm the encounters
- Wizard with battlefield control and repeatable dps to disable and kill opponents.

In both cases additional companions/cohorts/permanent summonings are much appriciated :)

Thanks for the help,
Best regards,
Jeno

Florian
2015-11-16, 10:10 AM
Thats the one Antariuk is hosting?

jenotus
2015-11-16, 10:12 AM
Thats the one Antariuk is hosting?

yes, indeed.

Florian
2015-11-16, 10:58 AM
yes, indeed.

Ok. In a certain sense, this will be a tough one, as the original solo challenge was meant for fighting classes at level 12.

My first shot at this, without going deeper into it, would be druid2/witch4 with Boon Companion and buffing/debuffing everything in the way, moving the bulk of the action to the AC and hexes while conserving spells.

Florian
2015-11-16, 01:09 PM
So, ok, got home, popped me a can of beer, ready to go.

First part to consider in this challenge is the competition and what knowledge they bring to the table. If Feuersänger and Elfenlied do partake in this and Antariuk caters to their level of system mastery, this will be a real tough one.

As far as I can see, no certain date is set for this event, so right now it is unclear whether Occult stuff will be allowed or not.

Based on what I've read so far, my first pick would be an Human Archer Paladin, using the mount as tank, followed by afore mentioned druids/witch. If occult stuff should happen to come online before the challenge starts, I'd switch to an occultist with a heavy focus on nexromancy and minions there.

jenotus
2015-11-17, 06:07 AM
So, ok, got home, popped me a can of beer, ready to go.

First part to consider in this challenge is the competition and what knowledge they bring to the table. If Feuersänger and Elfenlied do partake in this and Antariuk caters to their level of system mastery, this will be a real tough one.

As far as I can see, no certain date is set for this event, so right now it is unclear whether Occult stuff will be allowed or not.

Based on what I've read so far, my first pick would be an Human Archer Paladin, using the mount as tank, followed by afore mentioned druids/witch. If occult stuff should happen to come online before the challenge starts, I'd switch to an occultist with a heavy focus on nexromancy and minions there.

Hi Florian,

first of all, thanks for the tips. If it would be Dnd 3.5, I wouldn't fear much of a competition, because I would knew the builds/options quiet well. Since Pathfinder is a different game (not entirely, but at least the differences are noticable), I am taking your feedback sincerely into consideration.

I read through the content, which you provided - following observations:

- I failed to see why the paladin archer should be particularly strong (yes he has ranged attacks vs. flying and in difficult terrain, yes he has hp through his tank mount, but he is lacking utility & hence not going to widstand much of a large group/hard burst encounter, also I feel that he is prone to weapon sundering/destroying effects).

- Why would you consider druid2/witch4 instead of druid 1/witch5? Yes, the Boon Companion has +1level with it, which is nice, but you are giving up 3rd level spells and a 3rd hex completely?

- Maybe it is just me, but wouldn't druid 6 still be superior, because you only need to go through 6 encounters. Hence using scrolls and chargable items will play a role. I am therefore not that worried about running out of spells - don't get me wrong, the hexes are all great, but realistically speaking 1-2 strong summonings per encounter should already seal the deal. That would account for 6-12 summonings overall and some more battlefield control + buffing.
(Also you are not running into the MAD problem that way)

I like to get your perspective on these aspects:

Best regards,
Jenotus

Florian
2015-11-17, 07:50 AM
Ok, let's get one thing out of the way first: Protection from X, Magic Circle against X. Very easy way to totally shut down your summoning options. Add in a Thaumaturgic Circle and this'll be a laugh.

So yes, a very simple spell can cramp your style if it is based on summoning and you don't have the staying power to counterspell it. Even it it makes sense, that's why I wouldn't base my combat tactics around it.

As for Druid2, you want to have Devotion on your AC to prevent it from being shut down by simple control options and mind-affecting spells, especially those built on Intimidation.
As for Witch4, taking Extra Hex into account, you have the Fortune/Missfortune/Cackle thingie going, which may be the most brutal buffing/debuffing combo around for quite some levels.

Most former 3,5 players tend to undervalue the Paladin class. In contrast, it has one of the most brutal and effective spell lists of all classes, combined with a very good chance to get UMD of.
Now if you actually want to do some summoning, do use a wand and support that with some choice swift-cast Litanies.
Now even without the summons, a Litany of Vengeance is +5 damage per hit, something that an archery paladin can profit from.

No, I do not contradict myself there. The summons can be blocked as simply as mentioned before. In case they are not, the litanies make a huge difference and make summons a very deadly option indeed.