PDA

View Full Version : On the Subject of Elan

8BitNinja
2015-11-16, 09:53 AM
I find a few things about Elan very strange

For example, Elan is supposed to be the most annoying PC in the party
However, he attracted pretty much every female antagonist without doing anything
Sure he's a bard and has high charisma, but he didn't even make a seduction check

Post something you find weird or strange about Elan here

:elan:

Peelee
2015-11-16, 10:52 AM
I don't see anything strange about that. Plenty of people are attractive until they open their mouths.

Cizak
2015-11-16, 03:41 PM
He's fun to hang out with, talented in many different performance arts, believes the best of everybody and is equally kind to everyone. It's not that strange to imagine those personality traits resulting in a few hookups.

littlebum2002
2015-11-16, 04:06 PM
Also lots of people are stereotypically considered annoying by one gender but sexually desirable by another.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-16, 04:18 PM
Also lots of people are stereotypically considered annoying by one gender but sexually desirable by another.

Not to mention the rockstar/musician theme.

Example: Mick Jagger. Goofy lookin, but musician, and had quite a stable of babes over the years.

Keith Richard: not good looking, had a very pretty actress girlfriend/wife (Anita Pallenberg) and currently married to a high fashion model.

Lule Lovett/Julia Roberts: QED.

It's the musician thing. Also, charisma isn't comeliness, it's the attractiveness/persuasiveness/magnetism of a person regardless of physical appearance.

(Not to mention, back on topic regarding Elan and Haley, that in early strips of OoTS Elan got naked in order to be super stealthy and invisible ... which might have helped to pique the interest of a certain rogue ... )

8BitNinja
2015-11-16, 04:48 PM

Starting your own puppet religion is sexually desirable?

Well, I'm not a girl, how should I know

Porthos
2015-11-16, 04:55 PM

I would stop right here, actually.

He isn't the most annoying member of the party, not by a long shot (that would be Belkar, IMO).

Haley always had a thing for him.
Belkar appreciates his sense of humor.
Durkon finds his Banjo obsession excruciating, yes. But aside from that, he seems to like him well enough.

It's V and Roy who had the most trouble with him. And that could just be stoic/carefree at play. And both of them have warmed up to him over the course of the comic.

So I'd take issue with the entire premise, actually. Yes, he is annoying to some; but clearly not all.

It mostly comes down to how well one relates to his carefree attitude and childish enthusiasm. That plays well with some much more than others.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-16, 04:57 PM

He isn't the most annoying member of the party, not by a long shot (that would be Belkar, IMO).

Durkon finds his Banjo obsession excruciating, yes. But aside from that, he seems to like him well enough.

It's V and Roy who had the most trouble with him. And that could just be stoic/carefree at play. And both of them have warmed up to him over the course of the comic.

So I'd take issue with the entire premise, actually. Yes, he is annoying to some; but clearly not all.

It mostly comes down to how well one relates to his carefree attidue and childish enthusiasm. That plays well with some much more than others.

IIRC, Belkar had a joke about taking the biggest dump since Elan assigned his Int score ...

Porthos
2015-11-16, 05:00 PM
IIRC, Belkar had a joke about taking the biggest dump since Elan assigned his Int score ...

Yes, but that was an Insult of Opportunity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html). Belkar delivers(ed) those to everyone. :smallwink:

But when it came time to mount the rescue of Elan, he was right there with the comment of "he makes me laugh" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html).

The Elan/Belkar Dumb and Dumber style humor might have taken a bit of a back seat as the comic has gone on, but it's still there to a degree, I think.

littlebum2002
2015-11-16, 05:30 PM

It mostly comes down to how well one relates to his carefree attitude and childish enthusiasm. That plays well with some much more than others.

I was going to say Justin Bieber, so...yeah

137beth
2015-11-16, 05:36 PM

Belkar making a joke about something does not make it so. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194699-OOTS-786-The-Discussion-Thread&p=10753377&viewfull=1#post10753377)

Psyren
2015-11-16, 05:57 PM
Chances are that if Therkla or Sabine were able to adventure alongside Elan for any length of time they would quickly notice his idiocy too. Haley comments on it routinely and she actually loves the guy.

8BitNinja
2015-11-16, 07:39 PM
Chances are that if Therkla or Sabine were able to adventure alongside Elan for any length of time they would quickly notice his idiocy too. Haley comments on it routinely and she actually loves the guy.

Yes, but the fact is that every girl antagonist went for Elan

Even the bandit leader's daughter, remember her

Psyren
2015-11-16, 07:55 PM

Yeah but your earlier point was "he attracts all the girls despite being the most annoying person in the party." He wasn't with any of those other girls long enough to annoy them.

Porthos
2015-11-16, 08:00 PM
He wasn't with any of those other girls long enough to annoy them.

The thing is, even if he does occasionally annoy them, perhaps his other traits outweigh that.

For instance, Elan doesn't have a mean bone in his entire body (prankish, sure - but not mean). He is incredibly kind and caring to people. That can be an incredible plus for many people.

So he is a tad silly at times. And he might make you roll your eyes every once in a while. But his other qualities might make it worth it.

One might even say that's Charisma properly role-played. :smallwink:

Peelee
2015-11-16, 08:33 PM

...Laurin?

archon_huskie
2015-11-16, 08:34 PM
V is the only female who hasn't been seduced by him, but V was also mated.

LadyEowyn
2015-11-16, 08:51 PM
That's an exaggeration (aside from us not knowing V's gender). Laurin, Julia, Miko, Lien, Amun-Zora...there are plenty of women in the comic who have showed no attraction to Elan.

There are four who have shown attraction to him at some point: Haley, Therkla, Sabine, and the bandit leader's daughter.

Jankmaster98
2015-11-16, 11:34 PM
Elan's a good guy, he's nice and funny and tries to do his best to help people and do good. It may be a watering down of his character the way explain it, but all in all Elan seems to me the most solidly good on the party. And I like that.

I find it strange with his high charisma score he has not converted more people to banjosim though..

rodneyAnonymous
2015-11-17, 01:22 AM
There are four who have shown attraction to him at some point: Haley, Therkla, Sabine, and the bandit leader's daughter.

There are unnamed female characters that show interest in Elan too, like during the New Years celebration in Azure City.

factotum
2015-11-17, 03:36 AM
There are unnamed female characters that show interest in Elan too, like during the New Years celebration in Azure City.

Isn't that adequately explained by him being, you know, handsome? Given that those women can't have known much else about him other than what he looks like and that he appears to enjoy a party, there can't be much else driving them to "tip their cap" at him. Quite possibly they'd leave in disgust halfway through the first date once they realised how vapid he is.

rodneyAnonymous
2015-11-17, 04:16 AM
Elan's attractiveness is due to a lot more than just being handsome.

snowblizz
2015-11-17, 07:30 AM
I'd recommend reading OOPC to see why Elan may be considered the most annoying member of the gang. To start with. And why serious adventures like Roy in particular would feel that way.

Peelee
2015-11-17, 08:48 AM
Elan's attractiveness is due to a lot more than just being handsome.

To random women who only see him for a few seconds before catcallling?

Forgive me, but i don't think he's psychically projecting his winning personality onto them here.

8BitNinja
2015-11-17, 09:36 AM
I can't believe we are still on the subject of Elan's charisma

By the way guys, I'm pretty sure I stated antagonists

This would rule out some other important female characters that didn't care at all about Elan

Also, I'm pretty sure it is impossible, even if you min/maxed charisma, to attract every single member of the opposite sex to you

The GM would make a rule about that or something

Peelee
2015-11-17, 10:02 AM

Well, it's pretty much one of the best answers to the question that forms the basis for this entire thread, so it shouldn't really be that surprising.

Miko and Laurin were antagonists.

Also, I'm pretty sure it is impossible, even if you min/maxed charisma, to attract every single member of the opposite sex to you

Probably.

Since Elan doesn't attract every single member of the opposite sex to him, though, I don't see what bearing this has on the topic

Wildroses
2015-11-17, 10:03 AM
Wait...this guy's logic has shown me how the current storyline will be resolved! Hel is a female antagonist, so all they have to do is let her get a look at Elan and her dizzying attraction to the female antagonist magnet will cause her to give up her world destroying plot. The power of true lust saves the world again.

On a more serious note, Miko never seemed to be attracted to Elan and I definitely consider her an antagonist.

Zwiebelchen
2015-11-17, 10:43 AM
Wait, Elan is supposed to be annoying? :smallconfused:

If so, then the giant failed hard on this task, because Elan is like the single most-likeable character in the entire story. :P

Also, why is his attractiveness to women even debatetable? He is a handsome, dorky, good-hearted guy with an endless repertoire of bad puns. And an adventurer with a net-positive amount of copper. What's not to like?

The only thing I really find weird about Elan is how he was able to reach a high character level with his stat distribution. Before he took levels in Dashing Swordsman, he was a terrible fighter on top of being a terrible caster. I haven't read oTOotPC, so I can't tell, but did he travel with other parties before to reach that level? Given Elan's luck, it might have been a harem party. :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2015-11-17, 11:39 AM
Bards aren't supposed to be great fighters--they have fighters for that--or great casters--they have druids, clerics, sorcerers and wizards that fill that role. So, Elan not being very good at them isn't an indicator of how bad he is generally, especially when most of his role in the early strips was basically singing to encourage the rest of the party!

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-17, 02:52 PM
Elan is a fine inspirer, which is part of what makes him useful to the party and part of what makes him annoying, given the dump on the Int stat ... which I believe Belkar figured out by simple observation over time.

rodneyAnonymous
2015-11-17, 06:06 PM
To random women who only see him for a few seconds before catcallling?

What? No, I meant the one who tells him where she's staying.

An Enemy Spy
2015-11-17, 06:50 PM
Elan isn't portrayed as the most annoying member of the party. He's portrayed as the most annoying member of the party to Roy. How other people view him has nothing to do with Roy's frustration with Elan's antics.

Psyren
2015-11-17, 07:02 PM
Elan isn't portrayed as the most annoying member of the party. He's portrayed as the most annoying member of the party to Roy. How other people view him has nothing to do with Roy's frustration with Elan's antics.

I've seen him annoy the others too, though from V's perspective at least I think Belkar is the bigger burr in his saddle. For example Haley's "I love you, so I'm not going to answer that" as his ineptitude at stealth forced them to flee Tarquin's prison guards.

ORione
2015-11-17, 07:15 PM

This would rule out some other important female characters that didn't care at all about Elan

"I'm not saying every single female character is attracted to Elan."

"It doesn't make sense that every single female character is attracted to Elan."

Pyrous
2015-11-17, 08:10 PM
"I'm not saying every single female character is attracted to Elan."

"It doesn't make sense that every single female character is attracted to Elan."

I'm pretty much sure that he wanted to say something like this:

"I'm not saying every single female character is attracted to Elan. This doesn't happen in the comic. And it wouldn't make sense if it did."

8BitNinja
2015-11-17, 09:37 PM
Wait...this guy's logic has shown me how the current storyline will be resolved! Hel is a female antagonist, so all they have to do is let her get a look at Elan and her dizzying attraction to the female antagonist magnet will cause her to give up her world destroying plot. The power of true lust saves the world again.

On a more serious note, Miko never seemed to be attracted to Elan and I definitely consider her an antagonist.

Will Thanos give Elan immortality?

Miko was not an antagonist, she just was lawful stupid, and needed to learn how to be a true paladin

Peelee
2015-11-17, 09:41 PM
Miko was not an antagonist

Define "antagonist." I'm intrigued.

rodneyAnonymous
2015-11-17, 10:54 PM
Miko was definitely an antagonist.

Draconium
2015-11-17, 11:37 PM
Miko was not an antagonist, she just was lawful stupid, and needed to learn how to be a true paladin

An antagonist is a character (or group, or concept, etc.) that opposes the protagonists. The Order of the Stick are protagonists, and Miko opposed them, even if she did work alongside them for a bit. Therefore, Miko is an antagonist.

Porthos
2015-11-17, 11:46 PM

She was absolutely an antagonist, by design. In commentary, and I'm paraphrasing here, Rich said he wanted to challenge himself by seeing if he could write an antagonist to the party yet one with a good alignment.

He did, and in spades.

Quebbster
2015-11-18, 04:24 AM
The only thing I really find weird about Elan is how he was able to reach a high character level with his stat distribution. Before he took levels in Dashing Swordsman, he was a terrible fighter on top of being a terrible caster. I haven't read oTOotPC, so I can't tell, but did he travel with other parties before to reach that level? Given Elan's luck, it might have been a harem party. :smallbiggrin:
He was a herald to a knight, as mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html). He wasn't very good at that either. We see some excerpts from their adventures (and how Elan screwed them up with his cluelessness), so it's hard to say how much experience he got from it.

Murk
2015-11-18, 06:11 AM
An antagonist is a character (or group, or concept, etc.) that opposes the protagonists. The Order of the Stick are protagonists, and Miko opposed them, even if she did work alongside them for a bit. Therefore, Miko is an antagonist.

Eh, thing is, if Shojo had send any other paladin after the Order, I'm pretty sure they might have never arrived in Azure City. There wouldn't be a plot. Xykon would have captured the gate. The world would now be either destroyed or slaving under Xykons command.
Which, yeah, youknow, puts "opposes" in a whole new light. She actually helped the Order and the entire world quite a bit by simply being Miko.

(Yeah yeah, I know she was meant as an antagonist. It's still open for some debate, though, I guess)

brian 333
2015-11-18, 06:34 AM
The antagonism between Roy and Elan is a dramatization of their alignment differences. Roy is Lawful, as has been amply demonstrated along the way, and Elan is Chaotic. Elan's Chaotic nature leaves room for everybody to be themselves, but Roy's Lawful nature is rubbed the wrong way by Elan's complete lack of discipline and forethought.

Tanngrisnir
2015-11-18, 06:43 AM
Wait, Elan is supposed to be annoying? :smallconfused:

If so, then the giant failed hard on this task, because Elan is like the single most-likeable character in the entire story. :P

I find him annoying. I don't like man-child characters and I don't find him funny. I'm not saying everyone else finds him annoying too or that he is a detriment to the story or anything like that, just saying that if he was intended to be annoying it worked a little too well for me.

factotum
2015-11-18, 07:13 AM
The antagonism between Roy and Elan is a dramatization of their alignment differences. Roy is Lawful, as has been amply demonstrated along the way, and Elan is Chaotic.

Haley is also Chaotic, but Roy seems to get along with her just fine. (We won't include Belkar because nobody really gets along with him so much as tolerates him :smallwink:).

Gwynfrid
2015-11-18, 08:14 AM
I find a few things about Elan very strange

However, he attracted pretty much every female antagonist without doing anything
Sure he's a bard and has high charisma, but he didn't even make a seduction check

Post something you find weird or strange about Elan here

:elan:

What I find strange is your premise. Elan may be annoying, but, as others have noted, he's mostly annoying to Roy. To expand on that a little bit, I'd say he's annoying to Lawful guys in a position of authority, like Roy, Hinjo, or (in OOPCs) Sir François. I say, good for him. Those Lawful figures can be annoying in their way, too, and they need a bit of a challenge from time to time. By the way, another Lawful leader who finds Elan very annoying is Tarquin - enough said.

Elan might be annoying sometimes, but more importantly, he's lovable at all times, and I don't just refer to his good looks. He's unflinchingly loyal (not the same as Lawful!), always kind, has the most unassuming ego in the party, never carries a grudge, and shows more empathy by a huge margin than anybody in the comic. He only gets angry at people who truly deserve it. He has initiative and imagination (two plans to defeat his father so far, one that's still to be revealed, and one that worked). He knows his limitations in intellect and in combat ability, and he's never brooding or resentful about it: Instead, he does his very best to contribute, often successfully. He never gives up hope, and manages to bring humor and good spirits to almost any situation.

Of all party members, Elan is the one who deserves a happy end the most. No wonder people find him attractive.

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-18, 09:03 AM
^ Yes, what Gwynfrid said.

He's annoying to those who find him annoying; to everyone else, he's an enthusiastic, kind-hearted chap who is apparently extremely handsome also.

It would be kind of weird if a few women weren't attracted strongly to him somewhere along the way.

8BitNinja
2015-11-18, 09:44 AM
I actually brought up someone's idea about Elan encountering Hel on the main board, thanks for the idea guys

now waiting for everyone to call me insane :smallsmile:

brian 333
2015-11-18, 01:23 PM
I am actually rather surprised that a male antagonist has not fallen under Elan's charm along the way. The Cliffport jail would have been far too obvious a hook for that, (and would have undermined the credibility of the attraction as well,) but a Gay Blade prestige class NPC might well find Elan to be a suitable companion for an afternoon's adventure, or possibly even a whole quest. Jealous Haley might be fun, or she might be intrigued with the idea. She is the open-minded sort, and an adventurer herself.

8BitNinja
2015-11-18, 01:24 PM
I am actually rather surprised that a male antagonist has not fallen under Elan's charm along the way. The Cliffport jail would have been far too obvious a hook for that, (and would have undermined the credibility of the attraction as well,) but a Gay Blade prestige class NPC might well find Elan to be a suitable companion for an afternoon's adventure, or possibly even a whole quest. Jealous Haley might be fun, or she might be intrigued with the idea. She is the open-minded sort, and an adventurer herself.

Gay Blade?

That's a real class?

:smallconfused:

Porthos
2015-11-18, 01:35 PM
Gay Blade?

That's a real class?

:smallconfused:

No.

Presumably brian 333 is referencing this film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro,_The_Gay_Blade).

Not really going to comment on the rest, just explaining what is going on.

Peelee
2015-11-18, 01:40 PM

Not even on how zexy it is?

8BitNinja
2015-11-18, 01:42 PM
No.

Presumably brian 333 is referencing this film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro,_The_Gay_Blade).

Why does it exist

Why:smalleek:

Porthos
2015-11-18, 01:51 PM
Not even on how zexy it is?

The film was very slightly before my time, so I really can't comment on, having never seen it. So I'll just pass for now. :smallwink:

Why does it exist

Why:smalleek:

The late 70s/early 80s were a strange time. :smallsmile:

NOTE:::: ALL times are strange times, of course. But this particiular timeframe has it memorable share of entries. :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2015-11-18, 02:31 PM
This is the largest thread I have started, so I just want to say thanks to you guys

Do you guys think Banjo gives him any bonuses, besides becoming an Orc god

Peelee
2015-11-18, 02:32 PM
The film was very slightly before my time, so I really can't comment on, having never seen it. So I'll just pass for now. :smallwink:

Jeez, i lob it right over the plate and you don't even step up to bat.

littlebum2002
2015-11-18, 02:34 PM

The late 70s/early 80s were a strange time. :smallsmile:

NOTE:::: ALL times are strange times, of course. But this particiular timeframe has it memorable share of entries. :smalltongue:

Jeez, i lob it right over the plate and you don't even step up to bat.

You can't excuse us for not seeing it; after all, it's not on Netflix.

factotum
2015-11-18, 03:13 PM

I actually *have* seen it, but all I remember about it is that the titular Gay Blade dressed like Zorro but in any colour other than black, and the bad guys started tallying up the different colours he'd been seen it at one point because they thought he was mocking them. Literally nothing else remains in my memory, but thirty years will do that...

brian 333
2015-11-18, 07:04 PM
I never heard of the film before. I was actually referencing a night club which was not too far from where I grew up in New Orleans.

However, the idea of a flamboyant swordsman with an eye for man-candy is not new, or even unique. Reference the Lavender Cowboy of 1923.

littlebum2002
2015-11-18, 07:07 PM
I never heard of the film before. I was actually referencing a night club which was not too far from where I grew up in New Orleans.

However, the idea of a flamboyant swordsman with an eye for man-candy is not new, or even unique. Reference the Lavender Cowboy of 1923.

Funny, I'm from New Orleans as well and I'm not familiar with it. It was a nightclub called the Gay Blade?

brian 333
2015-11-18, 07:16 PM
Westbank Expressway near Westside Shopping Center but before you get to Manhattan , on the river bound side of the expressway.

littlebum2002
2015-11-18, 07:17 PM
Ahh, I'm not very familiar with the westbank, that explains it

Peelee
2015-11-18, 08:26 PM
You can't excuse us for not seeing it; after all, it's not on Netflix.

I mean, neither have i, bit that tagline was just begging for a shoutout.

And i think that there was an unintentionally reference to the film is even MORE amazing; that would be the exact way to play that prestige class after coming off of Dashing Swordsman, really.

.........and mail me some beignets.

8BitNinja
2015-11-19, 09:38 AM
Elan probably won't be followed around by Gay Zorro, Big Gay Al, or even a guy named Gaylord

brian 333
2015-11-19, 01:31 PM
........and mail me some beignets.

1) Find your favorite non-flavored variety of biscuit. The cheap ones work as well as the expensive brands. You can also use Bisquick or similar products. (Flakey biscuits in a can don't work as well, but they do work.)
2) Roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness or less. (.5cm)
3) Cut into roughly square shapes about 2 inches on a side. (5cm)
4) Heat cooking oil in a deep fryer or tall pot to 325F (175C)
5) Drop biscuit dough into pot/fryer, leaving room for movement between them, as they will all float, and you don't want them to stick together.
6) When lightly browned on the bottom, (about two minutes, or two minutes for those who use the Metric system,) flip and brown the other side.
7) With a slotted utensil (to leave the oil in the pot,) remove the biegnets from the fryer and place on a paper towel covered plate.
8) Dust with powdered sugar after oil has had time to drip, but before they get cold.
9) Repeat steps 5-8 until all of your dough has been cooked.
10) Enjoy with cafe au lait, or whatever else you may like. Eat them al fresco for that New Orleans charm.

Warning: if you are not competent with high temperature cooking oil, you can and probably will start a fire and burn your house down. Smart people do not ever, ever! leave hot oil unattended. If you have small children who may be in the area, be especially careful that they do not approach within a yard, (meter,) of the fryer because it can cause permanent disfigurement or death if a pot of oil spills or splatters on them. Don't fry biegnets naked, as you will not appreciate the results, and neither will your significant other. Please, for the love of everything holy, don't do this if you have no experience with deep frying. I can't stress that enough: this crap is dangerous. I'm from the US South, and I grew up with a deep fryer in one hand and a seafood boiling pot in the other. Your experience may not lend itself well to your success with this recipe.

Note: The traditional medium for frying biegnets is lard, but nobody uses it any more. Some still use shortening. Careful use of the oil/shortening to prevent its overheating will allow you to continue reusing the oil indefinitely.

Final note: Writer is not responsible for the results or consequences if you do this in a college dorm. Your roommates and pretty much everyone else on your floor will eat the biegnets before you have a chance to taste them. Oh, and fire alarms and dorm cooking rules might be a factor too.

8BitNinja
2015-11-19, 01:35 PM
1) Find your favorite non-flavored variety of biscuit. The cheap ones work as well as the expensive brands. You can also use Bisquick or similar products. (Flakey biscuits in a can don't work as well, but they do work.)
2) Roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness or less. (.5cm)
3) Cut into roughly square shapes about 2 inches on a side. (5cm)
4) Heat cooking oil in a deep fryer or tall pot to 325F (175C)
5) Drop biscuit dough into pot/fryer, leaving room for movement between them, as they will all float, and you don't want them to stick together.
6) When lightly browned on the bottom, (about two minutes, or two minutes for those who use the Metric system,) flip and brown the other side.
7) With a slotted utensil (to leave the oil in the pot,) remove the biegnets from the fryer and place on a paper towel covered plate.
8) Dust with powdered sugar after oil has had time to drip, but before they get cold.
9) Repeat steps 5-8 until all of your dough has been cooked.
10) Enjoy with cafe au lait, or whatever else you may like. Eat them al fresco for that New Orleans charm.

Warning: if you are not competent with high temperature cooking oil, you can and probably will start a fire and burn your house down. Smart people do not ever, ever! leave hot oil unattended. If you have small children who may be in the area, be especially careful that they do not approach within a yard, (meter,) of the fryer because it can cause permanent disfigurement or death if a pot of oil spills or splatters on them. Don't fry biegnets naked, as you will not appreciate the results, and neither will your significant other. Please, for the love of everything holy, don't do this if you have no experience with deep frying. I can't stress that enough: this crap is dangerous. I'm from the US South, and I grew up with a deep fryer in one hand and a seafood boiling pot in the other. Your experience may not lend itself well to your success with this recipe.

Note: The traditional medium for frying biegnets is lard, but nobody uses it any more. Some still use shortening. Careful use of the oil/shortening to prevent its overheating will allow you to continue reusing the oil indefinitely.

Final note: Writer is not responsible for the results or consequences if you do this in a college dorm. Your roommates and pretty much everyone else on your floor will eat the biegnets before you have a chance to taste them. Oh, and fire alarms and dorm cooking rules might be a factor too.

What does this have to do with anything?

Who cares, I'll cook them

Peelee
2015-11-19, 01:38 PM
Imean, I have Cafe du Monde Beignet mix, but making them is annoying.

Oh, right. Elan. Uhh..... I bet he'd like beignets.

8BitNinja
2015-11-19, 01:40 PM
I'm not even mad at that tangent, but we still need to discuss the most important thing in the world

If you want to do that, you are on the wrong board

littlebum2002
2015-11-19, 02:35 PM
I don't live in New Orleans anymore. A year ago I moved out west, it is the first time in my life I've lived in another state.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-19, 03:42 PM
I don't live in New Orleans anymore. A year ago I moved out west, it is the first time in my life I've lived in another state.

But you can still enjoy home made beignets without permanent injury if you follow the nicely presented instructions from brian333.

Yum. I suspect that Haley would enjoy beignets if Elan made them.

8BitNinja
2015-11-19, 05:04 PM
Thanks Brian 333

And thanks to all of you guys who don't ignore my comments

You guys are great :smallsmile:

Zwiebelchen
2015-11-20, 04:46 AM
I am actually rather surprised that a male antagonist has not fallen under Elan's charm along the way.
Elan's attractiveness to women comes from triggering maternal instincts. He is basicly a son and lover in one. Kind of a Male-Moe.
I don't know how well that would work for gay men and I don't have enough gay friends to answer that either.

8BitNinja
2015-11-20, 09:33 AM
Someone found this offensive, so I removed it

littlebum2002
2015-11-20, 09:44 AM
Elan's attractiveness to women comes from triggering maternal instincts. He is basicly a son and lover in one. Kind of a Male-Moe.
I don't know how well that would work for gay men and I don't have enough gay friends to answer that either.

As noted, I'm from New Orleans, so it should be no surprise that I have may gay friends, and I'll say: there are MANY guys out there who would be attracted to a good looking, but dumb, guy.

8BitNinja
2015-11-20, 09:49 AM
A good number of people on this forum are going to find this comment very offensive.

I am sorry about that, I removed the comment