PDA

View Full Version : Guessing What demigod has not yet voted?

Shining Wrath
2015-11-16, 11:17 AM
Hel evidently doesn't know how the demigod represented blue-clad dwarf in the funny hat, 5th in line in panel #1, will vote.

Which demigod might that be, I wonder?
Blue, dwarf, red staff in hand, holy symbol looks golden.
Dagur, god of daytime?
Nott, goddess of night?
Vali, god of revenge?

I vote for Vali. It would be very, very interesting to see what the god of vengeance thinks should happen.

Quild
2015-11-16, 11:29 AM
Blue dress and yellow symbols, why wouldn't you go with Dagur or Nott?

Joe the Rat
2015-11-16, 11:36 AM
Crown Royal, Demigod of Dice Bags.

In the main 1012 thread Forseti was suggested.

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-11-16, 11:37 AM
Because of the golden crown symbol, I'm going to go with "First King of the Dwarves" demigod, representing Dwarven Ancestor Worship, and equivalent to the fire and ice giant king demigods in the group.

GW

Shining Wrath
2015-11-16, 12:22 PM
Because of the golden crown symbol, I'm going to go with "First King of the Dwarves" demigod, representing Dwarven Ancestor Worship, and equivalent to the fire and ice giant king demigods in the group.

GW

And given Hel's plan for the dwarves, his vote would be a given, explaining Hel's wrath.

zimmerwald1915
2015-11-16, 12:29 PM
Crossposting from the main comic thread:

His getup bears a passing resemblance to High Priest Hurak's, from On the Origin of PCs (and also here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html)). Maybe his demigod reports directly to Thor?

Mr._Michael
2015-11-16, 12:49 PM
Could it be... and I quote from comic # 85:

"Soon he will be a forgotten God, slumbering away for centuries until Dark Priests awaken his unholy power... But when he returns, all shall hear his call... THE CALL OF BANJULHU!!!"

Prepare ye, or be dooooooooomed....

Keltest
2015-11-16, 12:50 PM

Perhaps the demigod is whatever solution Rich ended up using to explain how the Dwarves made Mjolnir and other divine tools while also being mortal races.

Vinyadan
2015-11-16, 01:46 PM
Hetfjöldi, Master of Puppets!

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-16, 02:27 PM
Alviss, God of Dwarves, maybe?

In the original myth, Alviss was a dwarf, who ended up turning to stone at daylight, apparently, but he did ask to marry Thor's valkyrie daughter, so that seems like a remote possibility for modifying him into a dwarf-patron demigod.

TurtlesAWD
2015-11-16, 02:40 PM
If banjo isn't involved, I'm not sure why we would need to cut back to the airship when Durkula is discussing his contingency plan. It could be something non-banjo related involving the tiger or something, but...

ti'esar
2015-11-16, 02:49 PM
If banjo isn't involved, I'm not sure why we would need to cut back to the airship when Durkula is discussing his contingency plan. It could be something non-banjo related involving the tiger or something, but...

...did you not notice the vampire entering the ship?

TurtlesAWD
2015-11-16, 03:01 PM
...did you not notice the vampire entering the ship?

Yes, that is directly what I'm talking about. If banjo is not involved what is the purpose of being on the ship? Which of these other proposed demigods have any relevance to the other party members?

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-16, 03:05 PM
Yes, that is directly what I'm talking about. If banjo is not involved what is the purpose of being on the ship? Which of these other proposed demigods have any relevance to the other party members?

Only 6 priests voted so far; the seventh, uncast vote is the dwarf in the miter. There's no reason for Banjo to get involved. Thankfully.

Mind you, I thought for a while that Gontor was retrieving Banjo also; but there's quite a bit of discussion on the main thread.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-16, 03:07 PM
Personally I think the vampire on the airship is going to crash it into the proceedings with the hope of killing one of the voters.

TurtlesAWD
2015-11-16, 03:10 PM
It's fair to assume Banjo would not - maybe even could not - be involved due to the tone banjo tends to set for a scene, but the view cuts to the Mechane just as Durkula is finishing up his line about finishing their back-up plan. If banjo isn't involved, they must be trying to find some kind of leverage against the last demigod, and with the world at stake... which demigod has a relation to anything on the Mechane that would make them vote in favor of destroying the world if it was jeopardized or threatened?

TurtlesAWD
2015-11-16, 03:11 PM
Personally I think the vampire on the airship is going to crash it into the proceedings with the hope of killing one of the voters.

Wouldn't this break the rules of the conclave? The loophole Roy is exploiting is being the bodyguard of the priest he's trying to kill.

Chantelune
2015-11-16, 03:17 PM
That strip kinda reminded me about that old theory saying that Haley wasn't entirely human... Demigodess Haley being dominated into voting yes ? Would be quite a twist XD

zimmerwald1915
2015-11-16, 04:00 PM
That strip kinda reminded me about that old theory saying that Haley wasn't entirely human... Demigodess Haley being dominated into voting yes ? Would be quite a twist XD
Beings with divine ranks can't be dominated.

littlebum2002
2015-11-16, 04:18 PM

Wouldn't it be odd to have one but not the other, though?

I KNEW I recognized that getup from somewhere! But he has a crown instead of a lightning bolt...Wonder what that could mean

Beings with divine ranks can't be dominated.

Unless they're into that sort of thing

Hel evidently doesn't know how the demigod represented blue-clad dwarf in the funny hat, 5th in line in panel #1, will vote.

Which demigod might that be, I wonder?
Blue, dwarf, red staff in hand, holy symbol looks golden.
Dagur, god of daytime?
Nott, goddess of night?
Vali, god of revenge?

I vote for Vali. It would be very, very interesting to see what the god of vengeance thinks should happen.

It's probably Dvalin, the Dwarf god.

zimmerwald1915
2015-11-16, 04:21 PM
I KNEW I recognized that getup from somewhere! But he has a crown instead of a lightning bolt...Wonder what that could mean
I rather like Keltest's idea, and it meshes with that one flashback of Durkon's uncle mentioning Freya's necklace being given to her by dwarves. Ascended (hence the crown) dwarf demigod of crafts, maybe? Possibly Brokkr or Eitri?

137beth
2015-11-16, 05:34 PM

GW

Alviss, God of Dwarves, maybe?

In the original myth, Alviss was a dwarf, who ended up turning to stone at daylight, apparently, but he did ask to marry Thor's valkyrie daughter, so that seems like a remote possibility for modifying him into a dwarf-patron demigod.

Certainly plausible, and it would explain Hel's reaction as she would assume he will vote No.

Another possibility is that the new vampire and HPoH are going take the teleportation orb and crash the airship, so that they can get to the final gate well ahead of the order.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-11-16, 05:58 PM
I think whoever it was in the main thread who said Forseti, Demigod of Rulership, has it right.

Aasimar
2015-11-16, 08:47 PM
I said Forseti a couple of times in the main thread. But the thread moves so fast, I think it got lost.

He's the only main god in norse mythology not to have had a nod yet. There are a few others, but those are mostly monstrous or giants. Forseti is the only one who regularly comes up as one of the Æsir who hasn't been mentioned.

His name is literally the Icelandic word for President. He could be the demigod of rulership or of councils and gatherings.

I think the crown symbol would fit.

foobar1969
2015-11-16, 08:53 PM
If anyone else is getting eye strain from squinting:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/587/23063735762_7d1af4239a_n.jpg

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-16, 09:10 PM
I said Forseti a couple of times in the main thread. But the thread moves so fast, I think it got lost.

He's the only main god in norse mythology not to have had a nod yet. There are a few others, but those are mostly monstrous or giants. Forseti is the only one who regularly comes up as one of the Æsir who hasn't been mentioned.

His name is literally the Icelandic word for President. He could be the demigod of rulership or of councils and gatherings.

I think you're correct.

Aasimar
2015-11-16, 10:36 PM
Interestingly, Forseti's claim to fame is that he is a great peacemaker and judge, kinda like a norse Solomon. It was said that nobody brought charges before him without leaving satisfied.

Even though this is a loose adaptation of norse mythology (at most), my theory is that while Forseti is relatively neutral towards destroying the world at this point, he would not want to do so with half the pantheon so adamantly against it. It's easier to not destroy the world, then change your mind later and destroy it, than it is to destroy it and then change your mind.

I believe he may offer a compromise of some sort instead of a clear yes or no. Perhaps a time limit of some sort.

I'm fairly sure he'll make a long speech, trying to make peace between the two factions at least.

It might also be a more interesting story development to get a compromise than a clear no.

edit: I'm actually prepping for a 5e game set in a homebrew Norse mythology setting based on the Eddas, which is why I've been boning up on this stuff. If it turns out I was right, I kinda feel bad about it. I know I'd hate it if I was the giant and had this plan and somebody came along and guessed it.

Emanick
2015-11-16, 11:30 PM

While I'm sure that's Belkar's favorite party game to play with dwarven strangers, I'm not sure why the OP would favor that particular pastime.

rodneyAnonymous
2015-11-17, 01:30 AM
Wouldn't this break the rules of the conclave? The loophole Roy is exploiting is being the bodyguard of the priest he's trying to kill.

Roy cares about not breaking the Godsmoot rules. The vampire-that-was-Gontor probably doesn't.

Quild
2015-11-17, 04:32 AM
Wouldn't it be odd to have one but not the other, though?

I didn't reflect on it, but now that you mention it, I've never seen day and night at the same time, so that would be the opposite of odd :smalltongue:

Vinyadan
2015-11-17, 04:46 AM
I didn't reflect on it, but now that you mention it, I've never seen day and night at the same time, so that would be the opposite of odd :smalltongue:

That means... they're the same person! Like Zorro and Don Diego de La Vega!

Aasimar
2015-11-17, 04:58 AM

I find that very hard to believe, wasn't Don Diego de La Vega a nobleman and friends with the governor and other officials?

Vinyadan
2015-11-17, 05:31 AM
I find that very hard to believe, wasn't Don Diego de La Vega a nobleman and friends with the governor and other officials?

Now that you make me think about it, he and Zorro are just like day and night :smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-17, 05:37 AM
While I'm sure that's Belkar's favorite party game to play with dwarven strangers, I'm not sure why the OP would favor that particular pastime.

It took misery and a splitting headache at 4 in the morning for me to suddenly get the genius of your joke.

Now, I'm actually chuckling out loud at it. :smallbiggrin:

"Dagur or Nott" ... Belkar's favorite party game ... "dagger or not" ... hilarious! Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

foobar1969
2015-11-17, 06:15 AM
Oh, here we go (https://youtu.be/9F4759XtejU)...

Don't start that AGAIN. Don Diego de La Vega wears glasses, Zorro DOESN'T wear glasses.

War-Wren
2015-11-17, 06:27 AM
Interestingly, Forseti's claim to fame is that he is a great peacemaker and judge, kinda like a norse Solomon. It was said that nobody brought charges before him without leaving satisfied.

Even though this is a loose adaptation of norse mythology (at most), my theory is that while Forseti is relatively neutral towards destroying the world at this point, he would not want to do so with half the pantheon so adamantly against it. It's easier to not destroy the world, then change your mind later and destroy it, than it is to destroy it and then change your mind.

I believe he may offer a compromise of some sort instead of a clear yes or no. Perhaps a time limit of some sort.

I'm fairly sure he'll make a long speech, trying to make peace between the two factions at least.

It might also be a more interesting story development to get a compromise than a clear no.

edit: I'm actually prepping for a 5e game set in a homebrew Norse mythology setting based on the Eddas, which is why I've been boning up on this stuff. If it turns out I was right, I kinda feel bad about it. I know I'd hate it if I was the giant and had this plan and somebody came along and guessed it.

I like this theory. It would also lead to Loki being able to make another quip along the lines of "That's what I said, like, 10 minutes ago!" cos he was in favour of waiting it out to see what happens (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0998.html).

skim172
2015-11-17, 11:27 AM
The last demigod is Schrödinger, the Demigod of Uncertainty. His vote is both Yes and No at the same time, depending on whether a cat is still alive.

Consequently, Vamp-Gontor is on the Mechane in order to kill a cat and cause the quantum waveform to collapse in Hel's favor.

But - SPOILER - Schrödinger is actually the secret identity of Blackwing the Raven, who has previously displayed his ability to exist/not-exist simultaneously (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0154.html), and oh brother, things just got REAL.

Absurd. Next you'll be saying Batman and billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne are the same person.

Lothar Hill
2015-11-17, 11:52 AM
The dwarf with a crown, will vote no, Giggles the clown will vote it back to a tie, with Elan as his high priest.

He has an island of orcs worshipping him.

War-Wren
2015-11-17, 12:02 PM
The dwarf with a crown, will tie the vote, Giggles the clown will be the tie breaker, with Elan as his high priest.

He has an island of orcs worshipping him.

The vote is 3-3... the dwarf with the crown's vote is the tie-breaker.
Plus Elan wouldn't be Giggle's High Priest... that would be shaman vurkle :smallsmile:

NihhusHuotAliro
2015-11-17, 12:02 PM

This would be the most fantastic thing and if it happens you will get three internets.

Vinyadan
2015-11-17, 12:37 PM
Absurd. Next you'll be saying Batman and billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne are the same person.

Today I learnt that Batman isn't the night. The night is the day trying to be Batman.

Kantaki
2015-11-17, 12:47 PM
The last Demigod has to be Spekulatius, goddess of wild and baseless speculation, who should qualify as a full-fledged deity considering how much power this forum gives her.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-11-17, 01:17 PM
The last Demigod has to be Spekulatius, goddess of wild and baseless speculation, who should qualify as a full-fledged deity considering how much power this forum gives her.

Wrong plane of existence, until someone casts plane shift on the server.

Emanick
2015-11-17, 10:50 PM
Roy cares about not breaking the Godsmoot rules. The vampire-that-was-Gontor probably doesn't.

Roy only cares about not breaking the rules because he doesn't want to get instantly massacred by the Godsmoot clerics. If the vampire possessing Gontor's body tries anything, he'll be decimated within a round.

It took misery and a splitting headache at 4 in the morning for me to suddenly get the genius of your joke.

Now, I'm actually chuckling out loud at it. :smallbiggrin:

"Dagur or Nott" ... Belkar's favorite party game ... "dagger or not" ... hilarious! Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

I'm glad someone got it. :smalltongue: I was worried that it would be way too vague for anyone to comprehend.

Hope your misery (and the headache along with it) has subsided by now!

Aisper
2015-11-17, 11:12 PM
The seventh vote is actually the Dark One's Plan B. He will strip Redcloak of the High Priesthood and give it to the dwarf in the blue robes, who will reveal himself to be a polymorphed Redcloak's niece. Redcloak's niece will then extort the Gods into granting concessions to the Dark One or else she will vote with Hel and end the world.

theasl
2015-11-17, 11:21 PM
The seventh vote is actually the Dark One's Plan B. He will strip Redcloak of the High Priesthood and give it to the dwarf in the blue robes, who will reveal himself to be a polymorphed Redcloak's niece. Redcloak's niece will then extort the Gods into granting concessions to the Dark One or else she will vote with Hel and end the world.

I knew this thread was missing something! Hmm...now what about Trigak and Therkla...

Aisper
2015-11-17, 11:23 PM
I knew this thread was missing something! Hmm...now what about Trigak and Therkla...

They are busy scrying on the Order in the desert.

Shining Wrath
2015-11-18, 06:10 PM

Given the close-up picture, I'm going to guess your guess is guessed correctly, I guess.

So that means he would try to reconcile everyone, but I also think if he can't make up his mind in the end, he'd go with Odin's vote, deferring to the ruler.

Psyren
2015-11-18, 08:59 PM

Durkula does too, if his spiel just before drinking Gontor is any indication. Also, Wrecan explicitly states prior to the moot that the other priests will smoke him if he breaks the rules.

No, I think the orb is Gontor's target, since Durkula knows its whereabouts and anyone can use it. This will also force the Order to help Bandana deal with the brewing mutiny drama onboard the Mechane.

littlebum2002
2015-11-19, 11:08 AM

That's a stupid prediction. Obviously Miko is going to show up and Smite Durkula

zimmerwald1915
2015-11-19, 12:20 PM
That's a stupid prediction. Obviously Miko is going to show up and Smite Durkula
But a Blackguard's smite wouldn't do very much to Durkon, until he was destroyed and resurrected.

Peelee
2015-11-19, 12:55 PM
The last demigod is Schrödinger, the Demigod of Uncertainty. His vote is both Yes and No at the same time, depending on whether a cat is still alive.

If only we could harness the energy generated from the sheer amount that Schrödinger must be turning in his grave....

Also, the Demigod of Uncertainty would be Heisenberg. He rode the bus with Hund, until Pauli tried to get on and it broke.

littlebum2002
2015-11-19, 01:07 PM
Also, the Demigod of Uncertainty would be Heisenberg. He rode the bus with Hund, until Pauli tried to get on and it broke.

Are you sure? I thought he was on the bus with Skinny Pete.

ReleaseTheBees
2015-11-19, 01:12 PM
While we're on topic, is there any further meaning or significance in Thyrm, Lord of Frost Giants' answer? I don't know my mythology, is grumpy and with-holding standard behaviour for this demi-god? Or is there a plot-thread waiting to be picked up there?

Rogar Demonblud
2015-11-19, 03:35 PM
He tends to keep his own counsel, yes.

ti'esar
2015-11-19, 03:45 PM
While we're on topic, is there any further meaning or significance in Thyrm, Lord of Frost Giants' answer? I don't know my mythology, is grumpy and with-holding standard behaviour for this demi-god? Or is there a plot-thread waiting to be picked up there?

I think it's likely an indicator that, like Hermod, he may have prearranged his vote with Hel before the Godsmoot.

Kantaki
2015-11-20, 12:59 PM

All I know about Thrym's base in mythology is that he was a frost giant who stole Mjolnir and that getting it back involved Loki and Thor in drag, Loki's fasttalking skills and violence against frost giants. I don't think he is a plot-hook.

I think it's likely an indicator that, like Hermod, he may have prearranged his vote with Hel before the Godsmoot.

Or he isn't working with Hel and has his own reasons to end the world. He just wants them to stay secret because they are silly.

8BitNinja
2015-11-20, 02:40 PM
I'll tell you which one

AND HIS NAME'S JOHN CENA

Emanick
2015-11-21, 03:28 AM
I'll tell you which one

AND HIS NAME'S JOHN CENA

No, that's somebody else (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwYnpyxdp4).

Nightcanon
2015-11-21, 06:35 AM
We know of the rules that bind the delegates and their bodyguards, but false-flag attacks on the Moot by way of deliberate airship crashes may not be covered in the same way that bodyguards attacking their own principal wasn't. If the Mechane hitting the Moot is treated as an attack, who gets in trouble for it? Bandana, Elan/ the Order, or the gaseous form of Gontor slipping away unseen in the confusion? Highly unlikely to be Gontor in my opinion, and even if he is blamed, he's still just a pawn in Hel's game.

Nightcanon
2015-11-21, 06:41 AM
If anyone else is getting eye strain from squinting:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/587/23063735762_7d1af4239a_n.jpg
Forseti sounds right to me. Symbol is a crown, gold chain of office, sceptre/ rod of office. I think I'm looking at a priest of the demigod of councils and rulers here.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-22, 09:56 PM
Haha, a hat with a crown on it. And on the crown a tinier hat, and a tinier still crown, on and on forever.

Jornophelanthas
2015-11-23, 07:47 AM
I see two possible outcomes that were not yet mentioned in this thread.

1. The seventh demigod is Kraagor, Demigod of Strength.
Suppose that Kraagor, whose secret tomb that hides the Gate has attracted the attention of pilgrims, who eventually chose to worship him. Undoubtedly unfluenced by the tales of Serini Toormuck, who built the tomb to honour Kraagor's memory. Kraagor would, of course, vote NO, since his life and death were focused on saving the world by containing the Snarl (through sheer force).

2. The seventh demigod abstains from voting.
The Forseti theory would tie into this: a God of Councils would be very neutral, and therefore hesitant to cast a deciding vote with such far-reaching consequences. Well, either that, or the priest dies before casting a vote (possibly from a heart attack brought on by the stress of indecision).
Regardless, a tie-within-a-tie would entail. This would be a total precedent, and the high priests would need to go look for a representative of a deity - any deity - that has not yet voted in one of the three gatherings, in order to break the tie.

And this is where it gets interesting. Possible candidates could include:

(a) Banjo, God of Clowns and Puppets, represented by Elan.
(Recall that Elan actually tried to enter Banjo into the Northern Pantheon on page 137 - I found this reference elsewhere on this forum. This would entail someone getting the message across that Roy and Belkar are in trouble, and Gontor's presence on the ship could be just that kind of tip-off. And guess what excuse Elan would come up with to gain admission? As for a vote,, Elan would vote whatever Roy tells him to, which would be NO.)

(b) The Dark One, God of Goblinoids, represented by Redcloak.
(The Dark One is yearning for exactly this kind of influence. Redcloak could receive a divine vision from The Dark One to drop everything he is holding, and teleport to the Godsmoot to cast the deciding vote, then immediately teleport back out. The Dark One would be torn between YES - because that would involve him gaining some influence in creating the next world - and NO - because that would be required for The Plan that involves harnessing the Snarl to create the next world all by himself. He would probably get greedy and vote NO.)

Or my personal favorite:
(c) Elemental Earth, represented by a single surviving member of the Creed of the Stone.
(Recall that exarch Gontor Hammerfell complained on page 995 that the Creed has no formal representation, and was trying to lobby for reform. Note that Elemental Earth itself is no theistic deity, and that summoning a proxy would be meaningless. (Meaning the representative need not even be a cleric.) The highest-ranking remaining member of the Creed could just vote for personal reasons. I see two reasons why the Creed would vote NO. The first is what Hel has done to Gontor and at least one other usher. The second is that destroying the world would also deal a blow to the element of earth itself.)

Peelee
2015-11-23, 10:14 AM
(a) Banjo, God of Clowns and Puppets, represented by Elan.
(Recall that Elan actually tried to enter Banjo into the Northern Pantheon on page 137 - I found this reference elsewhere on this forum. This would entail someone getting the message across that Roy and Belkar are in trouble, and Gontor's presence on the ship could be just that kind of tip-off. And guess what excuse Elan would come up with to gain admission? As for a vote,, Elan would vote whatever Roy tells him to, which would be NO.)
In this scenario, Elan does not get a vote. Banjo gets a vote. Elan not not influence it in any way.

(b) The Dark One, God of Goblinoids, represented by Redcloak.
(The Dark One is yearning for exactly this kind of influence. Redcloak could receive a divine vision from The Dark One to drop everything he is holding, and teleport to the Godsmoot to cast the deciding vote, then immediately teleport back out. The Dark One would be torn between YES - because that would involve him gaining some influence in creating the next world - and NO - because that would be required for The Plan that involves harnessing the Snarl to create the next world all by himself. He would probably get greedy and vote NO.)

The plan involves harnessing the Snarl to blackmail the gods into allowing for instant goblin justice. There is no worldbuilding in this plan. Plan B, wherein the Snarl unmakes creation, allows for worldbuilding, but not with the Dark One as the sole contractor; he would merely have an equal say in the process, thus allowing for goblin justice. Voting no would either allow his plan A to fail, or do nothing to help advance his cause. Voting yes would instantly allow plan B to succeed. As such, he would have no reason to vote no. Which is irrelevant, as Redcloak is not present and it is highly implausible Xykon would allow Redcloak this diversion.

Jornophelanthas
2015-11-23, 10:24 AM
In this scenario, Elan does not get a vote. Banjo gets a vote. Elan not not influence it in any way.

If Banjo were an actual sentient theistic god, then you are right.

However, we have no indication that Banjo has a will of his own (even though he has a handful of followers). Or that Elan can cast Summon Proxy. Or that Banjo even exists as anything more than Elan's imagination around a hand puppet.

If Banjo is not an actual god, but just a puppet, all Elan would have to do (as high priest) would be to just vote yes or no.

If the demigods create another tie, the Godsmoot could be so desperate to break it, that they will settle on anything even resembling another divine entity to resolve the vote, no matter how dubious.
"Look! An airship crashed into the ceiling, and out comes a fool with a hand puppet, claiming to serve some obsure and ridiculous little godlet nobody has ever heard of! Great! Give the man a vote, and let's get this farce over with. I don't care if that god is real or not! We need another vote, and it might as well be his!"

---

Regarding The Dark One:

I am actually considering that he would decline the invitation to vote, as vindictive as he is towards the other pantheons. He might put all his faith in his Plan, and not be put off by those other gods who didn't let him play with them. Let them play their little voting game by themselves! He'll show them!

Peelee
2015-11-23, 10:49 AM
If Banjo were an actual sentient theistic god, then you are right.

However, we have no indication that Banjo has a will of his own (even though he has a handful of followers). Or that Elan can cast Summon Proxy. Or that Banjo even exists as anything more than Elan's imagination around a hand puppet.

If Banjo is not an actual god, but just a puppet, all Elan would have to do (as high priest) would be to just vote yes or no.
You do realize that this train of thought significantly weakens the argument that he would then get a vote.

If the demigods create another tie, the Godsmoot could be so desperate to break it, that they will settle on anything even resembling another divine entity to resolve the vote, no matter how dubious.
"Look! An airship crashed into the ceiling, and out comes a fool with a hand puppet, claiming to serve some obsure and ridiculous little godlet nobody has ever heard of! Great! Give the man a vote, and let's get this farce over with. I don't care if that god is real or not! We need another vote, and it might as well be his!"

Or there could be rules for a deadlock.

Regarding The Dark One:

I am actually considering that he would decline the invitation to vote, as vindictive as he is towards the other pantheons. He might put all his faith in his Plan, and not be put off by those other gods who didn't let him play with them. Let them play their little voting game by themselves! He'll show them!
If he is aware. For all we know, each pantheon is responsible for telling its constituent members. As TDO isn't a member of any, he may not even know.

Jornophelanthas
2015-11-23, 10:58 AM
You do realize that this train of thought significantly weakens the argument that he would then get a vote.

I am of the impression that there are no further rules for breaking a tie. The gods were stupified by the very possibility of having the demigods break a tie, that it would not surprise me if they had no idea what to do if the demigods tied as well.

It all depends on how desperate the gods and the high priests get. They might be willing to give a deciding vote to any entity that would pass muster on a first, very casual glance, just to get this unheard-off tie situation resolved. Of course the more devious chaotic gods (like Loki) would try to manipulate the situation by finding a candidate that is expected to vote their way.

(Not Hel, though. Hel strikes me as a preparation-heavy mastermind who is extremely effective at hatching long-term schemes, but not so great at thinking on her feet and dealing with unforeseen contingencies. As demonstrated by the overall gloating, and the rage at Hermod's change of heart.)

Peelee
2015-11-23, 11:10 AM
I am of the impression that there are no further rules for breaking a tie. The gods were stupified by the very possibility of having the demigods break a tie, that it would not surprise me if they had no idea what to do if the demigods tied as well.

Pictured: not stupified (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1000.html).

I mean, unless you count Veldrina, Favored Soul of a really minor elven god, as a god herself. The high priests knew the protocol, and the gods seemlessly transitioned into, "oh, gee, how will the demigods vote, I wonder, hinthintwinkwink."

I'm pretty sure they have some sort of protocol for deadlocks. Especially since ties are still easily possible if only an even number of demigod high priests show up. Which is, ya know, a 50/50 chance.

CaDzilla
2015-11-23, 02:12 PM
The final voter will have everyone as a captive audience. I want it to be Jormungandr. I see it going like this:

Jormungandr: Ayo, you guys are probably all ready to hear the final word on this world. Like my sister, I too foresaw a tie. This is the perfect platform to get my voice heard. I Jormungandr, demigod of snakes and owner of worldserpenthiphop.com... will cast my vote after you all listen to a song off my new mixtape: "I'm an empirical, spiritual, lyrical, miracle, spiritual lyrical individual, spiritual lyrical...

Loki: Although I just said I'm a failure as a parent, this makes me a failure as a person since I could have stopped this. To everyone at the Godsmoot listening right now, I am truly sorry

Heksefatter
2015-11-23, 02:57 PM
Could be Brokk or Sindre, who were the dwarves that forged the most famous of the Norse gods' treasures, including Mjolnir. They are about the same importance in mythology as the demigods Thrym and Surtur (respectively the demigod of frost giants and fire giants in the Stickverse). And the symbols of the priest could indicate craftmansship as well as rulership (ie. a crown needs to be made, as would a magical rod).

Since they're dwarves, their votes would likely be no, explaining Hel's wrath.

It's a possibility, at least. Who knows? Except the Giant.

Emanick
2015-11-24, 04:33 AM
Voting yes would instantly allow plan B to succeed. As such, he would have no reason to vote no. Which is irrelevant, as Redcloak is not present and it is highly implausible Xykon would allow Redcloak this diversion.

No matter how powerful Xykon is, I don't think he would try and stop Redcloak from attending a summit that the gods have personally invited him to. Messing with the gods is stupid. Xykon is smart enough to know that.

Peelee
2015-11-24, 08:22 AM
No matter how powerful Xykon is, I don't think he would try and stop Redcloak from attending a summit that the gods have personally invited him to. Messing with the gods is stupid. Xykon is smart enough to know that.

The same gods that are forbidden from directly intervening in the world, which is why they created clerics in the first place?

The same Xykon that doesn't give one good goddamn about Redcloak's religion?

Yeah, I'm just not seeing Xykon cowering or capitulating just because Redcloak says his god wants something.

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-24, 08:30 AM
The final voter will have everyone as a captive audience. I want it to be Jormungandr. I see it going like this:

Jormungandr: Ayo, you guys are probably all ready to hear the final word on this world. Like my sister, I too foresaw a tie. This is the perfect platform to get my voice heard. I Jormungandr, demigod of snakes and owner of worldserpenthiphop.com... will cast my vote after you all listen to a song off my new mixtape: "I'm an empirical, spiritual, lyrical, miracle, spiritual lyrical individual, spiritual lyrical...

Loki: Although I just said I'm a failure as a parent, this makes me a failure as a person since I could have stopped this. To everyone at the Godsmoot listening right now, I am truly sorry

I love this. :smallbiggrin: Second day in a row this forum has given me a first-thing laugh to start my morning off right.

Anyway, here's a weird thought. If Forseti decides to abstain, does the Snarl get a vote? :smallwink:

I realize the answer is a resounding "no" -- since the Snarl technically isn't a god; isn't an official part of the Northern Pantheon; etc. But this is a theory that I haven't seen advanced thus far.

One thing to note, however, is that Odin apparently voted against destroying the world because he saw the planet-in-a-planet thing and the Snarl possibly growing more orderly:

"I see worlds within worlds, and yarn winding yarn."

Is there a remote possibility that in the case of a deadlock, Odin will say something along the lines of: "I have seen that all is not as we remembered with the Snarl. Before we go further, would it not be wise to seek to contact it, and see if a mind is there that can be reasoned with?"

Ah, no, won't happen. Either the Snarl would break loose (or vote yes), or it would prove to be newly amenable to reason, and that would totally deflate the gate quest and sideline the Order. So that won't be the solution.

Created and disproved my own theory in the same post. :smallbiggrin:

SirKazum
2015-11-24, 10:24 AM
Is there a remote possibility that in the case of a deadlock, Odin will say something along the lines of: "I have seen that all is not as we remembered with the Snarl. Before we go further, would it not be wise to seek to contact it, and see if a mind is there that can be reasoned with?"

FWIW, I don't think this "worlds within worlds" thing is news to the gods themselves. Odin was likely talking about something that all the other gods already knew. (Assuming they were paying attention in the first place, since those gods are such ditzes :smalltongue: ) I think whatever ommissions or misinformation in the Crayons of Time story (such as not mentioning the world-within-the-world) were committed when the story was handed down to mortals, however that happened.

(BTW, before the Godsmoot, I was wondering how the hell did mortals even get to know this story in the first place, since the gods made such a huge secret out of it... but, since now we know they deliberately chose to let the Order of the Scribble figure it out, maybe they handed the information down to the Scribblers somehow, and then Soon passed it on to the Sapphire Guard.)

b_jonas
2015-12-10, 05:53 PM
The seventh vote is actually the Dark One's Plan B. He will strip Redcloak of the High Priesthood and give it to the dwarf in the blue robes, who will reveal himself to be a polymorphed Redcloak's niece. Um… but wasn't Redcloak's niece massacred by the paladdins of the Sapphire Guard?

Which is irrelevant, as Redcloak is not present and it is highly implausible Xykon would allow Redcloak this diversion. If Xykon gets a direct command from the deity he's serving about a very urgent matter, then he won't wait for Xykon's permission. But Xykon has claimed that he doesn't want the world to get destroyed, so he probably would allow Redcloak to cast a vote about this.

As for other gods, do we know which pantheon the elven god of knowledge, keeper of secrets so mighty that even the smallest taste of them would shatter your sanity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0081.html), is part of?

Keltest
2015-12-10, 06:08 PM
Um… but wasn't Redcloak's niece massacred by the paladdins of the Sapphire Guard?

If Xykon gets a direct command from the deity he's serving about a very urgent matter, then he won't wait for Xykon's permission. But Xykon has claimed that he doesn't want the world to get destroyed, so he probably would allow Redcloak to cast a vote about this.

As for other gods, do we know which pantheon the elven god of knowledge, keeper of secrets so mighty that even the smallest taste of them would shatter your sanity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0081.html), is part of?

Redcloak's Niece survived, but otherwise her fate is unknown.

Furtheomre, Redcloak cannot teleport. Without Xykon, he has no means of arriving at the Godsmoot even if he were invited and wanted to attend. And Xykon doesn't give a crap about what some clerics are doing in the middle of a mountain range.

And finally, all Elven gods are part of the, get this, elven pantheon, which is voting as part of the West.

Peelee
2015-12-10, 06:46 PM
If Xykon gets a direct command from the deity he's serving about a very urgent matter, then he won't wait for Xykon's permission. But Xykon has claimed that he doesn't want the world to get destroyed, so he probably would allow Redcloak to cast a vote about this.

You're assuming Xylon worships a deity. I highly doubt that he does.if you meant Redcloak, he can't get there without Xykon, and Xykon would likely take issue with Redcloak leaving. Highly destructive issue, in all likelihood. Especially since, in my opinion, The Dark One (not Redcloak - he didn't get a vote) would vote no.

Also, i would guess that the elven god of secrets is part of the elven pantheon. Which, as Wrecan stated, voted with the Western Pantheon.

foobar1969
2015-12-10, 10:03 PM
If it turns out I was right, I kinda feel bad about it. I know I'd hate it if I was the giant and had this plan and somebody came along and guessed it.
Giant has been telling a consistent narrative for over 1000 pages. I imagine he'd be much more disappointed if his readers were so confused that none of them could figure out his detailed symbology and foreshadowing.

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-12-18, 12:44 PM

GW

I think this is the best prediction I have ever made in any comic-related speculation. I'm way more proud of it than I should be, to be honest, but screw it: I was right!

Grey Wolf

littlebum2002
2015-12-18, 01:22 PM
It's probably Dvalin, the Dwarf god.

Wow, what a crazy coincidence, I TOTALLY predicted it!
And I TOTALLY didn't just create that quote today either!

Vinyadan
2015-12-18, 01:41 PM

GW

Congrats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqmU3v0hVA