PDA

View Full Version : Wow Finailly someone tossed rogue a bone for undead

Suzaku
2007-05-31, 09:25 PM
I'm looking through the Magic Item Compendium and I noticed that Ghost Strike (pg35) allows you to strike an undead creature as if it were a living creature. So if I'm reading this right it would allow you to sneak attack and/or critical hit undead. So would a spell storing ghost strike weapon allows me to use a spell that effects living creatures to effect undead?

Dorni
2007-05-31, 09:31 PM
It should.

Although, if all you're after is sneak attack, in spell compendium there is a spell called Grave Strike which says specificly that you can sneak attack undead.

melchizedek
2007-05-31, 09:34 PM
That's an interesting question. As a DM, I would personally say no. I think the spell would target separately from the attack, but I might be able to be convinced otherwise.

PinkysBrain
2007-05-31, 09:35 PM
They only function like living creatures for sneak attacks and critical hits, so no.

Astaroth
2007-05-31, 11:00 PM
Not sure if it would or not - I've never seen this particular spell, but Ghoststrike on weapons only lets you hit incorporeal undead without the miss chance, it has no effect on sneak attacks.

However, apparently there's a new rogue variant in Complete Champion that lets you trade your Trap Sense for the ability to roll 1/2 SA dice against undead. It's available as soon as you gain Trap Sense, which is lost entirely; it can't be gained again as you get more rogue levels.

Still pretty nice if you're in a more combat-intensive, undead-heavy campaign, and you wouldn't even have to invest heavily in a specific weapon (which could then be stolen or disabled any number of ways).

PMDM
2007-05-31, 11:08 PM
I think that Complete Scoundrel also has a method for rouges to use their sneak attack against undead.

Danin
2007-06-01, 01:12 AM
Indeed it does, its a feat, though I think you can only do half damage...

GolemsVoice
2007-06-01, 04:53 AM
I distinctly remember that Magic Item Compendium contained several crystals which could be added to weapons. One of them let you do sneak attack against undead, as far as I know. Or are we talking about the same thing?

frasmage
2007-06-01, 06:50 AM
other things to sneak attack undead:
-CV: feat that lets you sacrifice spells for SA dice against undead or construct, iirc
-CV: grave strike spell
-Dungeonscape: class substitution level, 1/2 SA dice
-complete champion: very similar to dungeonscape's, though I don't have the book
-MIC: the augment crystals, as mentioned before

thats all I get off the top of my head

brian c
2007-06-01, 10:41 AM
It should.

Although, if all you're after is sneak attack, in spell compendium there is a spell called Grave Strike which says specificly that you can sneak attack undead.

It's unclear, but the intention is obviously to let you attack incorporeal undead without the miss chance, with no change to critical hits or sneak attack.