PDA

View Full Version : Golem Help

Ghal Marak
2007-05-31, 10:11 PM
Hello! I'll just get strait to the point. I'm trying to create a whole line of Golems that are as expendable as say... a goblin or kobold. The main problem is I don't know how I should roll for their stats. Their constructs, not PCs, so it's just a bit beyond my small amount of experience in rolling for stats and such. :frown: I looked over the guide to Homebrewing, but it didn't help me much. So... can anyone help me; maybe guide me through the process or something? Or perhaps there is already a thread that can help me?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-31, 10:17 PM
Golems, as Constructs, have too many immunities to be able to fit in at a CL of 1 or less. Heck, immune to crits/sneak attacks and mind affecting alone would make these things able to say NO to just about any low-end party.

I don't know if you're able to put something together balanced of that low CR using constructs...

Ghal Marak
2007-05-31, 10:24 PM
Golems, as Constructs, have too many immunities to be able to fit in at a CL of 1 or less. Heck, immune to crits/sneak attacks and mind affecting alone would make these things able to say NO to just about any low-end party.

I don't know if you're able to put something together balanced of that low CR using constructs...

I was thinking of them more geared to the mid-leveled characters. Maybe goblins and kobolds were a bad example, but it gets my point across. They operate in groups of five to ten, so... yeah they need to be weak for a construct. Actualy... hm... mind affecting abilities and spells could work on them. It's hard for me to remember all that I wrote about them, you see. I lost the notes that I made for 'em, so I am operating from memory here.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-31, 10:27 PM
I was thinking of them more geared to the mid-leveled characters. Maybe goblins and kobolds were a bad example, but it gets my point across. They operate in groups of five to ten, so... yeah they need to be weak for a construct. Actualy... hm... mind affecting abilities and spells could work on them. It's hard for me to remember all that I wrote about them, you see. I lost the notes that I made for 'em, so I am operating from memory here.

Build in an exploitable weakness which the party can be informed of after one or two encounters to make things go along smoother. That should be good for a reduction in CR. For example, make them take double from a damage type (like bludgeoning) or elemental (like fire). When the party finds out their weakness, you can trust them to exploit it as much as possible.

Ghal Marak
2007-05-31, 10:35 PM
Build in an exploitable weakness which the party can be informed of after one or two encounters to make things go along smoother. That should be good for a reduction in CR. For example, make them take double from a damage type (like bludgeoning) or elemental (like fire). When the party finds out their weakness, you can trust them to exploit it as much as possible.

Hey, yeah! That sounds like it would work. Well, that's one problem down. But that does not answere my question: How do I roll it's atributes? Is it the same way as a PC rolls theirs?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-31, 10:46 PM
Hey, yeah! That sounds like it would work. Well, that's one problem down. But that does not answere my question: How do I roll it's atributes? Is it the same way as a PC rolls theirs?

Well, here's how I do it, typically.

First off, they don't have a Con score. So that's a -. Then I look at the SRD's Ability Score Arrays (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#abilityScoreArrays) and choose the most appropriate one. Since you're doing the Horde O Mooks, I'd suggest the Non-Elite Array, which has a high stat of 13 (for Strength), and goes down from there.

Draken
2007-05-31, 10:50 PM
Most times, golems like any other random encounter, uses 10 or 11 at all atributes, plus racial modificators.

You can use the NPC base atributes (13, 12, 11, 10, 10, 9, 8, I think) or Elite Atributes (15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 10, 8, I think). Or you can roll the stats and copy em to all golems.

And it's not hard to make CR 1 constructs, look at the Homunculus.

Ghal Marak
2007-05-31, 11:00 PM
Oh? I'll have to go and dig up my monster manuals then. Thanks for the help guys! I'll see if I can finish it up now. If I have any more problems I'll just ask here. :smile:

Ghal Marak
2007-07-12, 12:43 AM
A little thread necromancy here.

I just sat down to work on my creation (Yeah, I'm lazy enough to put it of for a couple of months. :smalltongue: ) when I realized why I had not yet finished it. IT'S FREAKING HARD! :smallfurious: I don't know why, but I have the hardest time messing with this thing. It all just goes over my head! Like setting up the HD for it. It totaly blows my mind! Do I just pick an arbitrary number and run with it or what?

To wrap it all up, I suck at making monsters and I probably wouldn't have it done by now even if I had worked on it those two months. Help? :smallsigh:

Triaxx
2007-07-12, 06:15 AM
If you dig a little ways back, and look for Loam Golem, you'll find one created for a campaign to solve a farming problem. It's not particularly tough, but you're looking for something not particularly tough.

B!shop
2007-07-12, 07:08 AM
Reading this thread I was thinking about zombies.

They could be considered (rotten) flesh golems.
You can use them as examples, or as base, stripping them of the undead type replacing ijt weith construct.
Stats could be similar.

DracoDei
2007-07-12, 07:09 AM
Well, what sort of society do they have? How do they build one another? Can they modify/upgrade themselves and/or are the higher HD ones built that way and/or do they advance by class levels or what?

You might take a look at clockwork horrors...

Take a look at the basic homebrewing thread for some ideas on what HD are appropriate? (I think it would be in there).

Dorizzit
2007-07-12, 07:23 AM
How about paper golems? low-no DR, extra damage from blades, water, and fire, cheap materials, and require little in the ways of magical expertise.

Ghal Marak
2007-07-12, 12:07 PM
Well, what sort of society do they have? How do they build one another?

The idea was, they are remnants of a race long extinct, and even though their masters are gone they continue doing their jobs. The golems that I mentioned being in large groups are workers. They do all the mining, building, ECT. I imagine the continent that they exist on is completely covered in a vast sprawling city, because there is no one to turn them off. :smallsmile: They don't build one another. Instead, there is a factory somewhere on (or under) the continent that ensures that there is a constant number of workers. Like if the DM decided that there was 100,000 Workers on the entire continent, and the PCs destroy 30 of them, the factory would detect this and produce 30 new workers. It's a kind of doomsday plot, except instead of a Lich becoming a god, it's a horde of mechanical workers paving down forests and building monumental buildings for a long forgoten race. :smallbiggrin:

Can they modify/upgrade themselves and/or are the higher HD ones built that way and/or do they advance by class levels or what?

The workers cannot upgrade themselves, as they are supposted to be noncombatants. The real threat to the PCs is another golem that I have in the works, the Overseer. Basicly the Police of that long forgoten race.

How about paper golems? low-no DR, extra damage from blades, water, and fire, cheap materials, and require little in the ways of magical expertise.

Na, paper golems don't fit with the setting. Now, about the weaknesses. What would Ivory be weak to, Blunt weapons? Also, if they had an intelligence score, would that make mind affecting abilities affect them?

Reading this thread I was thinking about zombies.
They could be considered (rotten) flesh golems.
You can use them as examples, or as base, stripping them of the undead type replacing ijt weith construct.
Stats could be similar.

That would work. But then what of the CR? The Workers are suppost to operate in groups, never solitary. That would work for the Overseers, as they operate singularly, but not the Workers.