PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC Companion System Idea

Goober4473
2015-11-16, 05:00 PM
[Edit]: Here are my full companion rules, as they exist now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19_9zrxArn9bgWlKitr_uSYsID5mJ6ZahC2t2zScNEp4/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the most recent version of my Out of the Abyss companions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kb6Ik20E6JagJdW_MzhauNM5ffjPr8iDeUWLFNEKe5g

This was prompted by Out of the Abyss, but I'll keep this as free of spoilers as possible.

The issue: the party could end up with a bunch of NPCs following them around, all with their own full sets of statistics, their own turns int combat, etc. This is hard to run, but getting rid of them altogether is lame because there's lots of roleplaying opportunity there, and hand-waving them as "following a ways behind" makes them uninteresting and doesn't always makes sense.

Proposed Solution: Let the NPCs function as a set of simple abilities/bonuses, instead of full creatures. Out of the Abyss has some other examples of this kind of thing when it comes to nameless NPCs, which I will not go into in order to avoid spoilers, but the basic idea is that you get things like a small damage bonus due to allies making "attacks", an occasional free reroll due to distractions your allies make, or you get to offload a hit onto an ally once in a while. I want to apply this kind of bonus to NPC companions to keep them fun and relevant, but not center stage or bogging down combat.

My current thought is to give companions 3 abilities, which may or may not improve with level:

A regular ability, like a passive bonus to foraging for food, a once per short rest attack reroll, or a 3/day healing spell.
An ability that costs inspiration. I'm still torn on whether to give the NPCs their own inspiration when you have a nice chat with them (ala Bioware games), or require a player to spend theirs, but I want each companion to either have another ability, or an upgraded ability, when inspiration is spent.
An ability that requires high loyalty. Using the loyalty system from the DMG, this would probably mean higher than 10 loyalty, or perhaps a different value depending on the companion. Without the loyalty system, this would probably require completing a personal quest or otherwise solidifying the companion's loyalty. This ability might be an entirely new one, or a boost to one of the companion's other abilities.

For example (these are not NPCs from Out of the Abyss; I just made them up):

Urdok, Dwarven Soldier
Push Comes to Shove (1/Minute). When a party member hits a creature with an attack, if that creature is Medium or smaller, Urdok can push the creature 10 feet away from that party member. If he does, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw or fall prone.
Shield Wall (Inspiration). Urdok imposes disadvantage on an attack against one of the party members.
Bodyguard (1/Short Rest) (requires loyalty) An attack that would hit a party member hits Urdok instead. If the attack deals at least 20 points of damage, he is knocked unconscious until the party takes a short or long rest. Otherwise, it's a glancing blow and he's fine.

Talala, Elven Alchemist
Healing Salves (3/day). By spending a minute tending to a creature's wounds, Talala heals that creature 1d4 + 2 hit points.
Invigorating Mist (Inspiration). Talala throws a flask of invigorating substance at a party member's feet, granting them 2d8 temporary hit points that last for 1 minute.
Restoration (1/Long Rest) (requires loyalty) By spending a minute tending to a creature, Talala can produce an effect identical to a lesser restoration spell. If the party is level 11 or higher, she can instead produce an effect identical to greater restoration.

So what do you all think? How's the general idea? Do you have any suggestions on improving it?

Also, how would you handle companion inspiration? My thought was to perhaps have a note card for each companion, and give the card to a player when the companion gains inspiration, then let the player spend that inspiration by giving the card back. I'd probably want all of the companion's information on the card though, so it might be clunky to only give the card out while the companion has inspiration. I suppose a check box on the card would work too.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-16, 08:48 PM
Cool idea.

Would the NPC's have any actual stats though? Perhaps a walking speed? Or will they be sort of omnipresent? Take Urdok, for example. If he helps Rigus the Ranger shove an orc ten feet, can he then go to serve as the bodyguard for Marek the Warlock if Marek is 50 feet away from Rigus (and therefore further than a normal dwarf can move in one round)?

As for the inspiration aspect, maybe the PC that the NPC Companion's ability affects triggers said ability by using their inspiration. It'd be similar enough to how one PC can transfer their inspiration to another PC.

Goober4473
2015-11-16, 10:43 PM
Cool idea.

Would the NPC's have any actual stats though? Perhaps a walking speed? Or will they be sort of omnipresent? Take Urdok, for example. If he helps Rigus the Ranger shove an orc ten feet, can he then go to serve as the bodyguard for Marek the Warlock if Marek is 50 feet away from Rigus (and therefore further than a normal dwarf can move in one round)?

Right, I forgot to specify. The companions would still have full normal stats, in case it matters at some point, but they would rarely be used, and I wouldn't want to track their movement in combat. For instance, Urdok might be a guard with the protection fighting style tacked on, and Talala could be a scout with the extra healing salve abilities I gave her. In Out of the Abyss, all of the possible companions are already statted out, so I hadn't thought about going the other way.

Perhaps the best way to do movement would be to assign companions to the PCs, and assume that companion approximately moves with them in combat. Effects could then have a range limit from that PC. For instance, Urdok may be able to protect only someone within 10 feet of his assigned PC (he can maneuver around the immediate area), and Talala could use her mist out to a range of 30 feet from her PC.

As for speed, a particularly slow companion could slow the PC down until "unequipped" (probably not an action, just a choice on your turn). I think I'd hand wave small differences in speed, including things like a rogue's ability to move as a bonus action: the companion can follow their lead. But an extra slow companion, like one that's exhausted or one-legged, might impose some sort of speed penalty.

A PC might also be limited to one or two companions "equipped" at a time, in case the DM wants to set some limits where a huge number of companions are available.

As for the inspiration aspect, maybe the PC that the NPC Companion's ability affects triggers said ability by using their inspiration. It'd be similar enough to how one PC can transfer their inspiration to another PC.

So when the player uses inspiration normally, they also get the benefit of the companion's ability, or they spend it on behalf of the companion to trigger the ability? The latter was one option I was considering. The former would probably be clunky, since when you need advantage and when you want an invigorating mist bomb are going to be different times.

I think personally, I'd prefer the companions to have their own inspiration, especially if players "equip" them, and thus have their information, including whether they have inspiration, right in front of them personally. It's not information the entire party has to track all at once.

But of course, this is just a concept that could be implemented in a ton of different ways. So I'd love to include a lot of options and suggestions to try out.

Notafish
2015-11-16, 11:27 PM
If the NPCs are "equipped" to a PC, would they be able to be targeted by spell effects and attacks?

Neat idea!

Mrmox42
2015-11-17, 05:02 AM
This is a fine idea, and it certainly simplifies NPC control a good deal for the poor overworked DM.

Madeiner
2015-11-17, 06:24 AM
Ah, i have never read out of the abyss.
Does it have anything about your proposed system, or does it just have some npc that you decided to convert? If it's the first case, i'll read it :D

Anyway, i had the same idea a while ago, but it was intended for summoned creatures. I really don't like them in combat, to the point that i ask the PCs to not use them. They break action economy, and they make turns longer.
Since we use a grid system and maptools, i was worried about how to use a system like yours to manage the creatures.
Let's say you can, as a bonus action, make your skeleton servant attack an enemy within 30 feet. Where is the skeleton now? I don't want to use a miniature for it. Does it go back to you as soon as he completes the attack? In that way, he's basically a 30 feet ranged attack then. Is it targetable?

How about we still use a miniature for companions/npcs/summoned creatures, but without stats. With your bonus action, they can attack a creature within 30 feet and they stay there. No movement rules, no AoO. What happens when they get attacked? What about something like "the companion has your AC (or a fixed AC for all creatures). If he takes damage, you can choose to take half that damage to your hitpoints, and he's fine. Otherwise he's incapacitated by the attack until the end of the fight"?

HP sharing might make sense for a summoned creature, not really for a companion, unless we really really abstract HP.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-17, 07:31 AM
Right, I forgot to specify. The companions would still have full normal stats, in case it matters at some point, but they would rarely be used, and I wouldn't want to track their movement in combat. For instance, Urdok might be a guard with the protection fighting style tacked on, and Talala could be a scout with the extra healing salve abilities I gave her. In Out of the Abyss, all of the possible companions are already statted out, so I hadn't thought about going the other way.

Perhaps the best way to do movement would be to assign companions to the PCs, and assume that companion approximately moves with them in combat. Effects could then have a range limit from that PC. For instance, Urdok may be able to protect only someone within 10 feet of his assigned PC (he can maneuver around the immediate area), and Talala could use her mist out to a range of 30 feet from her PC.

As for speed, a particularly slow companion could slow the PC down until "unequipped" (probably not an action, just a choice on your turn). I think I'd hand wave small differences in speed, including things like a rogue's ability to move as a bonus action: the companion can follow their lead. But an extra slow companion, like one that's exhausted or one-legged, might impose some sort of speed penalty.

A PC might also be limited to one or two companions "equipped" at a time, in case the DM wants to set some limits where a huge number of companions are available.

Sounds fair. Kinda makes the NPC Companions like magic items in a way, but still seems easier than the alternative.

So when the player uses inspiration normally, they also get the benefit of the companion's ability, or they spend it on behalf of the companion to trigger the ability? The latter was one option I was considering. The former would probably be clunky, since when you need advantage and when you want an invigorating mist bomb are going to be different times.

I think personally, I'd prefer the companions to have their own inspiration, especially if players "equip" them, and thus have their information, including whether they have inspiration, right in front of them personally. It's not information the entire party has to track all at once.

But of course, this is just a concept that could be implemented in a ton of different ways. So I'd love to include a lot of options and suggestions to try out.

I was thinking of the latter, where the PC spends their inspiration to trigger the NPC to use the ability. It would be another option for the use of inspiration (which admittedly, is a concept that I don't quite understand fully, but that's another discussion).

Douche
2015-11-17, 08:22 AM
The shield wall one on Urdok seems a little underpowered considering he could've just taken the Protection fighting style and get to impose disadvantage for free every turn.

Goober4473
2015-11-17, 11:08 AM
If the NPCs are "equipped" to a PC, would they be able to be targeted by spell effects and attacks?

No, they'd be totally abstracted.

Ah, i have never read out of the abyss.
Does it have anything about your proposed system, or does it just have some npc that you decided to convert? If it's the first case, i'll read it :D

The only semblance of anything like this it has is a couple of situations where you have a large group of nameless NPCs backing you. The adventure then also includes various companion NPCs, who work jsut like any NPC, but the book suggests you let the PCs control them in combat.

How about we still use a miniature for companions/npcs/summoned creatures, but without stats. With your bonus action, they can attack a creature within 30 feet and they stay there. No movement rules, no AoO. What happens when they get attacked? What about something like "the companion has your AC (or a fixed AC for all creatures). If he takes damage, you can choose to take half that damage to your hitpoints, and he's fine. Otherwise he's incapacitated by the attack until the end of the fight"?

I'd personally prefer to leave their exact position as abstracted as the rest of their stats, and I wouldn't want them making attacks or being attacked. Otherwise, we run into the problem of having to advance them as the party gains levels, or they'll very quickly become obsolete.

I was thinking of the latter, where the PC spends their inspiration to trigger the NPC to use the ability. It would be another option for the use of inspiration (which admittedly, is a concept that I don't quite understand fully, but that's another discussion).

I think the main issue here is, you can already spend inspiration to gain advantage on a roll, which means the companion inspiration abilities have to be balanced with that pretty closely. If they're not as good, they won't be used, and if they're better, then players won't spend inspiration normally. I like the flexibility of giving the companions their own inspiration. Then their abilities can be pretty much anything.

The shield wall one on Urdok seems a little underpowered considering he could've just taken the Protection fighting style and get to impose disadvantage for free every turn.

He probably has the protection fighting style in his full stat block, but is a companion and not a full creature, and as such his abilities are abstracted. That's the entire point of this. He can't take reactions, or make attacks, or take damage. Instead, he's a set of simple abilities, which are balanced as free extras.

Mrmox42
2015-11-18, 03:54 AM
Now I remember what this reminds me of: The Comrade rules from the game Only War. In that game each character has a Comrade, who is abstracted very much like you describe above. The Comrade acts as a kind of meat shield as well as a source of extra abilities.

I very much like these ideas and I will be using them when appropriate in my games.

Thanks for reminding me :smallsmile:

Goober4473
2015-11-18, 09:53 AM
Now I remember what this reminds me of: The Comrade rules from the game Only War. In that game each character has a Comrade, who is abstracted very much like you describe above. The Comrade acts as a kind of meat shield as well as a source of extra abilities.

I very much like these ideas and I will be using them when appropriate in my games.

Thanks for reminding me :smallsmile:

Yeah, it ended up pretty similar, especially with assigning companions to move with a specific character. I had forgotten about Only War until my roommate compared this to it, but I wonder how much it subconsciously influenced this system.

I'm glad you like it. I'll probably do a full write-up of the rules, including modifications based on discussion here, in a bit. But for now, it's just a matter of deciding how you want to handle inspiration, and choosing appropriate abilities for companions.

Steampunkette
2015-11-19, 10:40 AM
This is brilliant and I love it.

You are to be commended!

Goober4473
2015-11-19, 05:19 PM
Here are some examples from Out of the Abyss. Spoilers for those who might play this adventure!

I've finished the starting companions (but they're subject to change), and just have templates for the others. I wasn't planning on including the Society of Brilliance as companions, instead letting them be more of utility/information types.

(See the editing original post for the most up to date version of the companions document.)

Steampunkette
2015-11-19, 07:16 PM
Loving the Companions Document!

Going to keep following it, and stealing everything in it, for my Out of the Abyss Campaign that starts on Saturday.

This thing rocks socks and will make combat SO much faster!

I may even create enemies that function in a similar way to tack on to some of the bigger encounters to minimize the amount of in-combat movement/target management. This system would work great for enemies the players aren't -meant- to kill, in a fight. Like a red dragon doing flyovers on a battlefield: Just apply it as a Companion Template to the enemy commander. When he drops it flies away, it's bond broken. Or off to plan vengeance for the death of it's master/friend/mate.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-19, 08:25 PM
I'm totally going to steal/use the Companions doc as inspiration.

In addition to Steampunkette's idea to spice up enemy ranks (which is AWESOME), I've been trying to figure out a way to use this system as a replacement for the lackluster animal companion rules that the Beast Master Ranger uses.

mephnick
2015-11-19, 09:52 PM
This...I like this. I'm going to run it past my group.

I always thought the PCs should be attracting followers, but keeping them completely abstracted and out of combat seems useless, and using them in combat grinds the game to a halt.

Might be hard to balance, but I'm going to mess around with it.

Steampunkette
2015-11-19, 10:04 PM
This would also work well for a Magicite/Esper/Final Fantasy Summons style system, for those interested in having bigger or more interesting effects tied to characters without locking in a powerful physical ally.

Just make the magicite take up the Companion slot instead of an Attunement slot and go to town! Have Ifrit and Shiva, Raiden and Bahamut as super strong, and very rare, companions.

Goober4473
2015-11-19, 11:13 PM
I am loving the ideas in this thread. Keep 'em coming! Responses to the ideas below, but first:

I'm thinking about adding in the ability for companions to get hurt/die. I want to keep it super simple, and I don't want it to be possible for a random stray arrow to take one out, but I think I have a pretty decent idea, inspired by the death saves mechanic:

Companion Injury: A companion has 3 boxes for injuries. When you take a critical hit, and when you are reduced to 0 hit points, each of your companions fills in one injury box. If all three boxes are filled, a companion becomes unassigned (or "unequipped" if you prefer), fall unconscious, and begins making death saves during your turn.

Companion Healing: You can stabilize a companion as normal for any creature, and restoring any number of hit points brings them back from unconsciousness, but does not heal any injuries. A conscious companion with three injuries can't be assigned, but can talk and travel just fine. A companion recovers one injury box during each short rest, and all of them during a long rest.

Under these rules, I'd make the Bodyguard ability give Urdok an injury if he takes 20 or more damage, instead of just knocking him out.

For slightly more complexity, you could give different companions different numbers of injury boxes.

What do you all think? Are there any other conditions you think should cause an injury?

Going to keep following it, and stealing everything in it, for my Out of the Abyss Campaign that starts on Saturday.

Lemme know how that goes. I won't be able to run it for probably a couple months at least. We're finishing up another campaign first. I'd love any feedback, especially on tracking inspiration, how you handle how many companions they can use at time, and if you use the injury system I set out above.

I'll be making some tweaks and additions to the document over the next little bit. I'll keep posting new versions.

More spoilers:

I'll probably also add the earth elemental from the end of the Blingdenstone chapter as a temporary companion. Instead of bonus hit points, it becomes loyal.

Also, a couple of things I'm planning with Buppido and Sarith: Keep track of the madness avoided with Buppido's Desensitized. It all comes back, all at once, when he eventually betrays the party. Sarith's Restorative Salve also causes disadvantage on saving throws against spores for 24 hours. He's probably not consciously aware of that fact, or at least can't control himself enough to say anything.

I may even create enemies that function in a similar way to tack on to some of the bigger encounters to minimize the amount of in-combat movement/target management. This system would work great for enemies the players aren't -meant- to kill, in a fight. Like a red dragon doing flyovers on a battlefield: Just apply it as a Companion Template to the enemy commander. When he drops it flies away, it's bond broken. Or off to plan vengeance for the death of it's master/friend/mate.

This is a super cool idea, and I'm definitely using it. Whether a swarm of otherwise meaningless weak enemies at the feet of a boss monster, an artillery dragon, or some kind of support creature, this is as great a way to add more enemies without bogging down combat as it is for adding more allies.

In addition to Steampunkette's idea to spice up enemy ranks (which is AWESOME), I've been trying to figure out a way to use this system as a replacement for the lackluster animal companion rules that the Beast Master Ranger uses.

That sounds like a really cool idea. It'd require a complete redesign of the subclass, but I think it'd be worth it. I'd love to see what you come up with. It seems like the inspiration/loyalty mechanics wouldn't apply, but everything else certainly could.

Going even further, it might be interesting to let familiars be companions too. Warlock familiars just get slightly cooler abilities.

Might be hard to balance, but I'm going to mess around with it.

The great thing here is you don't even need to balance much. It's just like giving out magic items. You can just assume they'll be a bit more powerful than their level suggests. The individual companions can vary in power/utility as much as you feel like.

Steampunkette
2015-11-20, 01:00 AM
The animal companion and familiar thing would make those class features a LOT more attractive!

Goober4473
2015-11-20, 12:10 PM
I just included a link to a full write-up of the companion rules in the original post. I'll probably keep adding examples and additional alternate rules, like familiars and ranger animals as companions.

Steampunkette
2015-11-20, 12:50 PM
Okayso... Animal Companions need to be -always- loyal. Otherwise what is the point? An animal doesn't get a nice talking to to boost it's loyalty score, it simply -is- loyal. I'd downshift the power of Loyalty, maybe into a constant bonus, and instead give the beast's inspiration a higher overall level of power, then make the inspiration gained in a special way.

Maybe all animal companions start the day Inspired, but can only gain inspiration if certain animal-specific events are met? Like the Bear companion only being inspired if the Ranger spends 3 straight rounds holding an enemy at bay without assistance from allies to protect those allies. Or the Wolf seeing a harrying of opponents and setting up openings for them as it's inspiring setup. Things like that.

Then, look at giving the Ranger the ability to grant their companion -more- companion options. Two loyalties (one earned later), three baseline abilities, and three inspiration abilities to choose from when the Inspiration comes up. Things like that. Maybe have the various abilities -learned- through animal training the Ranger is doing while leveling up.

It makes Animal Companions some of the more inherently powerful Companions, but if it's a class feature of Rangers I think it becomes very important to do it that way!

I'd probably have familiars use a minimal set of these kinds of abilities and have less HP than Animal Companions or Regular Companions. Then have them "Not Count" as taking up the character's Companion slot.

Goober4473
2015-11-20, 01:11 PM
Okayso... Animal Companions need to be -always- loyal. Otherwise what is the point? An animal doesn't get a nice talking to to boost it's loyalty score, it simply -is- loyal. I'd downshift the power of Loyalty, maybe into a constant bonus, and instead give the beast's inspiration a higher overall level of power, then make the inspiration gained in a special way.

Maybe all animal companions start the day Inspired, but can only gain inspiration if certain animal-specific events are met? Like the Bear companion only being inspired if the Ranger spends 3 straight rounds holding an enemy at bay without assistance from allies to protect those allies. Or the Wolf seeing a harrying of opponents and setting up openings for them as it's inspiring setup. Things like that.

Then, look at giving the Ranger the ability to grant their companion -more- companion options. Two loyalties (one earned later), three baseline abilities, and three inspiration abilities to choose from when the Inspiration comes up. Things like that. Maybe have the various abilities -learned- through animal training the Ranger is doing while leveling up.

It makes Animal Companions some of the more inherently powerful Companions, but if it's a class feature of Rangers I think it becomes very important to do it that way!

I'd probably have familiars use a minimal set of these kinds of abilities and have less HP than Animal Companions or Regular Companions. Then have them "Not Count" as taking up the character's Companion slot.

My thought was animal companions and familiars wouldn't have inspiration or loyalty options, but would use the other general rules for companions. I might also drop injuries for familiars. That or they get one box. If you're using a companion limit, then any class feature or spell that grants a companion should break that limit. Honestly, I don't think the limit is necessary. I added a bit about it to my document.

I'd give animal companions some standard abilities, and then have them make a selection, like with the totem barbarian, that gives other abilities. Instead of using loyalty to earn new abilities, they'd just gain them as you level up (at the appropriate sub-class levels).

Familiars can pretty much work like they do now, but allow them to deliver touch attacks within some distance, like 30 feet, or go off and scout, at which point they become unassigned and can be attacked as normal.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-20, 08:33 PM

My thought was animal companions and familiars wouldn't have inspiration or loyalty options, but would use the other general rules for companions. I might also drop injuries for familiars. That or they get one box. If you're using a companion limit, then any class feature or spell that grants a companion should break that limit. Honestly, I don't think the limit is necessary. I added a bit about it to my document.

I'd give animal companions some standard abilities, and then have them make a selection, like with the totem barbarian, that gives other abilities. Instead of using loyalty to earn new abilities, they'd just gain them as you level up (at the appropriate sub-class levels).

Familiars can pretty much work like they do now, but allow them to deliver touch attacks within some distance, like 30 feet, or go off and scout, at which point they become unassigned and can be attacked as normal.

I was thinking of doing a combination of passive, always on abilities and activated abilities for the animal companions, with some more powerful ones requiring an action on the part of the ranger (to help with the action economy issues of having two characters on the field). I've also thought about having some of those Companion actions deal damage similar to cantrips, because sometimes you want your wolf to bite someone.

I think standard abilities would streamline things, for things that all companions can do. Also, having a selection that evolves over time would be cool. Say you choose "Wolf" for a companion. The wolf gets more abilities as you level up, and at a certain level, maybe instead of just one wolf, your Beastmaster now leads a pack of wolves. Or a troop of chimpanzees. Or a pair of bears. Or a swarm of rats out of your worst nightmares. Or so on...

Goober4473
2015-11-20, 09:28 PM
I was thinking of doing a combination of passive, always on abilities and activated abilities for the animal companions, with some more powerful ones requiring an action on the part of the ranger (to help with the action economy issues of having two characters on the field). I've also thought about having some of those Companion actions deal damage similar to cantrips, because sometimes you want your wolf to bite someone.

I think standard abilities would streamline things, for things that all companions can do. Also, having a selection that evolves over time would be cool. Say you choose "Wolf" for a companion. The wolf gets more abilities as you level up, and at a certain level, maybe instead of just one wolf, your Beastmaster now leads a pack of wolves. Or a troop of chimpanzees. Or a pair of bears. Or a swarm of rats out of your worst nightmares. Or so on...

Yeah, this all sounds pretty good. I was thinking you could keep the "when you make attacks, your beast also makes an attack," but the attack is more uniform, dealing the same damage no matter your animal (barring perhaps damage type), and then certain animals could have improved attacks, like a trip for a wolf.

Steampunkette
2015-11-20, 09:55 PM
How about something that brings us back to automatic damage chargea?

When you make a trip attack, which naturally forgoes damage in favor of knocking the target down, the wolf makes an autobite attack. When you bullrush an enemy, which also does no damage, your bear mauls them. Etc, etc, etc. It would encourage the Ranger to use more varied combat tactica, since unlike fighters and paladins the ranger would still do damage when doing those things.

Or at least their companion would!

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-21, 07:55 PM
Okay, so I've been working on the Beastmaster variant all day (in between cleaning the house, shopping, spending time with the wife, etc.). I'm all but done, just stuck on the Level 15 ability. I want to keep them similar enough to the original, but of the 15 spells in the PHB that would normally work with Share Spells, only 9 might work with these sort of companions.

Here's what I've got so far:

Beast Master Ranger Archetype (NPC Companion Variant)

3rd Level – Animal Companion

At 3rd Level, you gain an animal companion that accompanies you on your adventures and assists you in and out of combat. Animal companions follow the rules for NPC Companions, with some exceptions. First, Animal Companions are considered Loyal by default, and therefore do not have abilities that require Loyalty. Second, Animal Companions have an amount of Injury Boxes equal to your Ranger Level. As a Standard Action, you can expend a spell slot to heal your Animal Companion, removing an Injury for each spell level expended.

Any Animal Companion ability that calls for a saving throw, uses your Ranger Spell Save DC for its DC.

If your Animal Companion dies, or you choose to dismiss it, you may obtain another one by performing a ritual where you spend 8 hours bonding with another animal that is not hostile towards you.

Choose from the list below for your Animal Companion. (This list is by no means complete, and only holds suggestions for possible Animal Companions.)

Bear

o Powerful (Passive): Your Bear Companion is incredibly strong. It grants you Advantage to Strength checks to force open a door, move something heavy, or similar tasks.
o Bearhug (2/Short or Long Rest): Your Bear Companion can grab an enemy and hold them still for you. When you hit a Medium or smaller creature with a melee attack, your Bear Companion can attempt to grab that creature. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, they are restrained until the end of your next turn. They can escape early if they succeed on another Strength saving throw on their turn.
o Bully (Inspiration): Your Bear Companion can knock smaller enemies around in combat. Your Bear Companion can spend its Inspiration to force a creature within 5 feet of you to make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, your Bear Companion deals 1d8 slashing damage to it and pushes it 10 feet away from you. The target must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. This ability’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 7th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 15th level (4d8).

Hawk

o Eyes of the Hawk (Passive): Your Hawk Companion has keen senses. It grants you Advantage to Wisdom (Perception) checks, or +5 to Passive Perception.
o Snatch (2/Short or Long Rest): Your Hawk Companion can swoop down and snatch an item away from an enemy. When you hit a creature with an attack, your Hawk Companion can attempt to disarm that creature, snatching one 5lb or lighter item of your choice that the creature is holding. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the Hawk Companion snatches the object you choose. The object lands at your feet.
o Harrier (Inspiration): Your Hawk Companion can attack an enemy in a way that distracts them and undermines their ability. Your Hawk Companion can spend its Inspiration to force a creature within 60 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, your Hawk Companion deals 1d4 slashing damage to it and it has Disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn. This ability’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 7th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 15th level (4d4).

Panther

o Stalker (Passive): Your Panther Companion is amazingly stealthy. It grants you Advantage to Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
o Ambush Predator (2/Short or Long Rest): Your Panther Companion can catch its prey off-guard, striking hard and fast. When you have Advantage on an attack targeting a creature within 20 feet of you, your Panther can deal an extra 1d4 slashing damage on a successful hit.
o Pounce (Inspiration): Your Panther Companion can pounce on its prey when it attacks, knocking it to the ground. Your Panther Companion can use its Inspiration to force a Large or smaller creature within 30 feet of you to make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, your Panther Companion deals 1d6 piercing damage to it and it falls prone. This ability’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 7th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 15th level (4d6).

Swarm of Rats

o Unsettling (Passive): Your Rat Companions creep others out. They grant you Advantage to Charisma (Intimidation) checks.
o Swarm (2/Short or Long Rest): Your Rat Companions can leap from you to cover an enemy in a carpet of rodents, terrifying them. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, you Rat Companions force the target to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.
o Plague Bearer (Inspiration): Your Rat Companions infect your enemies in terrible diseases. Your Rat Companions can use their Inspiration to force a creature within 40 feet of you to make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, your Rat Companions deals 1d4 poison damage to it and it becomes poisoned until the end of your next turn. This ability’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 7th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 15th level (4d4).

Wolf

o Hunter’s Instincts (Passive): Your Wolf Companion is a skilled hunter and tracker. It grants you Advantage to Wisdom (Survival) checks.
o Pack Tactics (2/Short or Long Rest): Your Wolf Companion is skilled at fighting in tandem with you. Your Wolf Companion can grant you advantage on all attack rolls you make this round.
o Takedown (Inspiration) Your Wolf Companion can attack an enemy and bring it to the ground. Your Wolf Companion can use its Inspiration to force a Large or smaller creature within 30 feet of you to make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, your Wolf Companion deals 1d6 piercing damage to it and it falls prone. This ability’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 7th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 15th level (4d6).

7th Level –Exceptional Training

At 7th Level, you and your Animal Companion have trained together extensively and can act as one. Whenever you have Inspiration, you can expend it to activate your Animal Companion’s Inspiration ability.

11th Level – Bestial Fury

At 11th Level, your bond with your Animal Companion has increased. The number of times it can use its activated abilities doubles. (An ability that was originally able to be used twice per Rest can now be used four times before needing to rest.)

15th Level – Share Spells

At 15th Level, when you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your Animal Companion with the spell if the beast is within 30 feet of you.

Notes:
- I wanted the Animal Companions to have more staying power than the normal NPC Companions, hence the increased amount of Injury Boxes. I realize that 20 may be too much, making the Animal Companion virtually unkillable, and I'm toying with the idea of having them be somewhat targetable, or at least able to be damaged by Area effects. (Perhaps one Injury Box per damage die.)
- I've shied away from x/Encounter abilities, preferring to emulate that with x/Rest abilities. Per encounter abilities remind me too much of 4E (which I was not a fan of), and 2-3 times per Rest equals out to about the same anyway.
- I had a longer list of Animals, but pared it down because there was a lot of redundancies, and many that I couldn't think up ideas for.

Let me know what you think. :smallbiggrin:

Goober4473
2015-11-22, 01:06 AM
Okay, so I've been working on the Beastmaster variant all day (in between cleaning the house, shopping, spending time with the wife, etc.). I'm all but done, just stuck on the Level 15 ability. I want to keep them similar enough to the original, but of the 15 spells in the PHB that would normally work with Share Spells, only 9 might work with these sort of companions.

Here's what I've got so far:

<snip>

Let me know what you think. :smallbiggrin:

I think this is a good starting point.

For injuries, 1/ranger level sounds like waaaay too much. I might suggest equal to proficiency bonus instead. I still need to do some testing, but I imagine 3 boxes will be plenty to keep any companion from being truly threatened in almost all situations.

Are you assuming the animal companion will be gaining its own inspiration? If so, how? Or are the inspiration abilities only for use with the level 7 feature? I'm not sure I like having a class feature that allows/requires spending your inspiration.

I'd definitely replace share spells with something more fitting of the companion system. I'd probably either give the companion a new ability or give a new option for using the companion, at 7, 11, and 15.

Level 3, i.e. their basic abilities, should be on par with the hunter's damage boosts. I like that you have a lot of more tricky/utility powers, to contrast with the hunter's pure damage. There's a lot of balancing to do there though, and I might recommend having only one special ability to start with. An "on hit" type ability might be good, with different companion providing different effects and ranged. A hawk might be able to apply its effect when you hit with an arrow at 100 feet, a wolf might be able to run around enough to apply its effects to enemies a bit close, like 30 feet, and a bear is probably limited to melee.

You could also have some other small utility ability for each animal on top of it's "attack," but it shouldn't provide too much of a benefit.

Level 7, I'd add on a new companion ability. Perhaps something more non-combat utility, or defensive to mirror the hunter. To keep it generic and allow you to swap animals later, it should be worded something like, "you unlock the ___ ability of your animal companion."

Level 11 needs to compete with a hunter's multiattack options, and thus needs to be fairly potent, but I'm not sure if another attack is the way to go. More control and debuffing type options might also be cool. This could either be an ability of the ranger, or another companion ability.

Level 15 is another defensive ability for hunters. This might be a good place for something like, "because of your strong bond with your animal companion, you get <some cool bonus> while it is assigned to you."

For general design, I wouldn't have any limited use abilities, except probably for 1/Turn, like sneak attack.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-22, 03:31 PM
I think this is a good starting point.

For injuries, 1/ranger level sounds like waaaay too much. I might suggest equal to proficiency bonus instead. I still need to do some testing, but I imagine 3 boxes will be plenty to keep any companion from being truly threatened in almost all situations.

Proficiency bonus is probably more reasonable. I feel like 3 might be too few for high level play.

Are you assuming the animal companion will be gaining its own inspiration? If so, how? Or are the inspiration abilities only for use with the level 7 feature? I'm not sure I like having a class feature that allows/requires spending your inspiration.

I assume that the animal companion would be able to gain its own inspiration through interaction with the ranger. It'll encourage the ranger to roleplay the beastmaster role, if only even during rests.

I'd definitely replace share spells with something more fitting of the companion system. I'd probably either give the companion a new ability or give a new option for using the companion, at 7, 11, and 15.

I thought about adding abilities as the ranger advances, but I've had a hard time coming up with unique abilities.

Level 3, i.e. their basic abilities, should be on par with the hunter's damage boosts. I like that you have a lot of more tricky/utility powers, to contrast with the hunter's pure damage. There's a lot of balancing to do there though, and I might recommend having only one special ability to start with. An "on hit" type ability might be good, with different companion providing different effects and ranged. A hawk might be able to apply its effect when you hit with an arrow at 100 feet, a wolf might be able to run around enough to apply its effects to enemies a bit close, like 30 feet, and a bear is probably limited to melee.

You could also have some other small utility ability for each animal on top of it's "attack," but it shouldn't provide too much of a benefit.

I was trying to stick with the spirit of the existing Beastmaster archetype more than trying to balance against the hunter. That could be a good goal though. Contrast the Hunter's damage potential with utility and manueverish abilities.

Level 7, I'd add on a new companion ability. Perhaps something more non-combat utility, or defensive to mirror the hunter. To keep it generic and allow you to swap animals later, it should be worded something like, "you unlock the ___ ability of your animal companion."

I could number them or label them in some way, or even just tag the abilities with a prerequisite.

Level 11 needs to compete with a hunter's multiattack options, and thus needs to be fairly potent, but I'm not sure if another attack is the way to go. More control and debuffing type options might also be cool. This could either be an ability of the ranger, or another companion ability.

Perhaps a potential area effect of some sort, though it would depend on the type of companion if it is to be a companion ability.

Level 15 is another defensive ability for hunters. This might be a good place for something like, "because of your strong bond with your animal companion, you get <some cool bonus> while it is assigned to you."

Maybe, but the animal companion is always assigned to the ranger.

For general design, I wouldn't have any limited use abilities, except probably for 1/Turn, like sneak attack.

1/Turn could work, but it would have to lower the potency of the abilities.

You've given me a lot to think about. I'll continue working on this.

Goober4473
2015-11-23, 04:31 PM
I've updated the Companion System document, linked in the original post, with variant rules for familiars and my own version of the beast master, inspired by the one Stavrost put together.

Steampunkette
2015-11-23, 06:00 PM
Absolutely loving the presented rules for animals and familiars.

And the new cards for the Out of the Abyss companions? Perfect! :D

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-23, 08:11 PM
I've updated the Companion System document, linked in the original post, with variant rules for familiars and my own version of the beast master, inspired by the one Stavrost put together.

And you did it better, too... I must destroy you now. :smallwink:

Mrmox42
2015-11-25, 03:18 AM
Excellent Work. Consider it used in my current campaign.:smallsmile:

Goober4473
2015-11-25, 01:32 PM
I've just added a bit about aging for baby monster companions, and have finished up the Out of the Abyss companions.

[Edit]: I've also added a possibility of companion injury when you fail a save against area damage. What do you all think of that?

And you did it better, too... I must destroy you now. :smallwink:

:smallcool:

Goober4473
2015-11-30, 10:24 PM
I've added a number of small improvements to the rules. Updated wording, a way for healing magic to apply to companions, mounts as companions, and some changes to the ranger variant's level 15 ability.

Goober4473
2015-12-02, 04:44 PM
And I've now updated the OotA companions document with some I missed.

Hemeth can be rescued in Sloobludop.

Amarith Coppervein and Ougalop can be found right after Mantol-Derith. I'm planning to have Ougalop tag along if they let him, despite what the book says

Khalessa Draga and Aljanor Keenblade may end up joining them. My plan was the have them usually stay with the main expedition force (see below), but they will likely be with the PCs on occasion. As such, they are pretty potent. If you want them sticking with the players for most of the time, you may want to tone them down.

The players may end up with a shield guardian. I was planning to have the other followers they gain from Gauntlgrym be a bit more numerous, and mostly make up the main expeditionary force, providing some safety when the players can rest at one of their base camps in a sort of Dragon Age: Inquisition way.

mgshamster
2015-12-06, 11:21 AM
So I used this system for my OotA campaign (started last night).

My players loved it.

There are 9 starting NPCs (10 with topsy and turvy, but we count them as one), and I started holding all the cards. They were actually clipped to the DM screen so my players could see the artwork.

Once the players interacted with an NPC in a friendly manner and gained their trust, then the party would take the card and gain access to the NPC's abilities. Each NPC would be assigned to a single PC, granting only that PC their abilities (unless it took effect in an area, like Stool's). A PC can attach as many NPCs as they like, up to their charisma modifier (minimum 1). And they can switch out which NPC is attached to them at any time so long as they're not in a stressful situation.

I did not require each individual PC to roleplay with each individual NPC, but rather allowed the entire party access to an NPC once one of the PCs befriended them. This may change in the future if the PCs split up for whatever reason.

If a PC's actions or attitude towards an NPC becomes rude, hostile, or negative, they may lose access to the card (at which point I take the card back and they become a normal NPC). They will also lose the card anytime the NPC goes unconscious from injuries. They gain the cards back through roleplaying. Once they achieve loyal status this will change.

By the end of the first session, they had all the starting cards except Eldeth (she did not start friendly due to one of the PC's backstory).

Not only did my players love this, but this has been one of the best roleplaying sessions our group has had since we got together.

Madeiner
2015-12-10, 09:22 AM
I also am preparing a modified version for this companion system.
I'll post it when it's ready in case anyone wants to have a look at it.

I removed injuries and loyalty. Abilities are mostly used by either player action, which can be substituted by an NPC inspiration. Some abilities are free, but limited per encounter. The idea is that you might want to use an action occasionally in order to have the NPC perform something, and when you are down/crowdcontrolled/not in a position to do anything, you can use the NPC's abilities by using your action even when you cannot act.
If you have a tough fight, you can use NPC's inspirations to increase action economy.
Also, i added a way for NPCs to be more powerful (free actions) when we are missing players.

Goober4473
2015-12-10, 12:59 PM
So I used this system for my OotA campaign (started last night).

My players loved it.

There are 9 starting NPCs (10 with topsy and turvy, but we count them as one), and I started holding all the cards. They were actually clipped to the DM screen so my players could see the artwork.

Once the players interacted with an NPC in a friendly manner and gained their trust, then the party would take the card and gain access to the NPC's abilities. Each NPC would be assigned to a single PC, granting only that PC their abilities (unless it took effect in an area, like Stool's). A PC can attach as many NPCs as they like, up to their charisma modifier (minimum 1). And they can switch out which NPC is attached to them at any time so long as they're not in a stressful situation.

I did not require each individual PC to roleplay with each individual NPC, but rather allowed the entire party access to an NPC once one of the PCs befriended them. This may change in the future if the PCs split up for whatever reason.

If a PC's actions or attitude towards an NPC becomes rude, hostile, or negative, they may lose access to the card (at which point I take the card back and they become a normal NPC). They will also lose the card anytime the NPC goes unconscious from injuries. They gain the cards back through roleplaying. Once they achieve loyal status this will change.

By the end of the first session, they had all the starting cards except Eldeth (she did not start friendly due to one of the PC's backstory).

Not only did my players love this, but this has been one of the best roleplaying sessions our group has had since we got together.

That's awesome! I'm glad it worked out so well.

My plan had also always been to have the companions "join" and "become loyal" for the whole party, and let them trade them around as needed, or as makes sense for the story.

I'd be curious to see how the Charisma modifier limit works out in the long run. I'm not sure I'd want to punish characters who didn't happen to have much Charisma, but it does seem thematically appropriate.

I also am preparing a modified version for this companion system.
I'll post it when it's ready in case anyone wants to have a look at it.

I removed injuries and loyalty. Abilities are mostly used by either player action, which can be substituted by an NPC inspiration. Some abilities are free, but limited per encounter. The idea is that you might want to use an action occasionally in order to have the NPC perform something, and when you are down/crowdcontrolled/not in a position to do anything, you can use the NPC's abilities by using your action even when you cannot act.
If you have a tough fight, you can use NPC's inspirations to increase action economy.
Also, i added a way for NPCs to be more powerful (free actions) when we are missing players.

Nice. I tried to design the system to be extremely flexible, allowing for the design of companions however makes sense for an individual game.

mgshamster
2015-12-28, 07:57 AM
So my party has rescued some escaped slaves, and I was thinking of writing up a card for them.

I'm open for help, but here's what I have so far:

"What was that?" The slaves give you advantage on the first passive perception check you need to make; resets every short rest.

"I'd take a bullet for you." The escaped slaves can spend inspiration to take one attack for you in exchange for an injury.

Throwing Rocks: If the escaped slaves have loyalty, then once per encounter they can deal 1d6 +1d6/2 levels to one 10' radius area.

Special: The escaped slaves do not recover from injuries normally. Each injury box represents the death of one slave; to recovery injuries you have to rescue more slaves. They start with 8 injury boxes.

Goober4473
2015-12-28, 10:11 AM
So my party has rescued some escaped slaves, and I was thinking of writing up a card for them.

I'm open for help, but here's what I have so far:

"What was that?" The slaves give you advantage on the first passive perception check you need to make; resets every short rest.

"I'd take a bullet for you." The escaped slaves can spend inspiration to take one attack for you in exchange for an injury.

Throwing Rocks: If the escaped slaves have loyalty, then once per encounter they can deal 1d6 +1d6/2 levels to one 10' radius area.

Special: The escaped slaves do not recover from injuries normally. Each injury box represents the death of one slave; to recovery injuries you have to rescue more slaves. They start with 8 injury boxes.

I like it! For the first ability, I might have it instead grant advantage on initiative, and if you would have been surprised, you instead aren't. Still per short rest. I have a similar ability for a companion in another game.

Speaking of my other game, here are some less spoilery companion examples, made for a D&D in Space (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473012-D-amp-D-(5e)-In-Spaaaaace!) game I'm running: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwir5V4Ifx5dVW0xRGR3SXViQVE/view?usp=sharing

mgshamster
2015-12-28, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I added the escaped slaves to the list. I also did some editorial work on the original document.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8QjneCgo6BpeEUyY0RhVEY1bjQ

Were you planning on making the cards for the NPC units available in chapter 8?

Goober4473
2016-01-02, 04:53 PM
Note: I've updated my companions document. No big changes, just some tweaks.

Thanks for the advice!

I added the escaped slaves to the list. I also did some editorial work on the original document.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8QjneCgo6BpeEUyY0RhVEY1bjQ

Were you planning on making the cards for the NPC units available in chapter 8?

I'm still not exactly sure how I want to handle the latter half of the adventure, so I haven't made companion cards for the various soldiers. I think the way I'd like to do it is to have a sort of caravan/basecamp, which the PCs travel with, but split off from to do missions. The main expedition force would, in this case, likely be much larger, but with fewer random soldiers accompanying the PCs specifically. They may also establish various camps around the underdark as they go, which they can return to for safety. While in a camp or traveling with a caravan, they'd be safer from ambush, have access to extra supplies, and have assistance from soldiers and commanders should a fight break out there.

My thought was to perhaps treat soldiers like the final battle in Blingdenstone, where the artillery and ghosts provide some small bonuses, but aren't full companions. It might still be worth writing cards for them though, in which case I might want to make cards for the artillery and ghosts at Blingdenstone too.

I may also write up cards for some of the faction leaders, who, along with Khalessa and Aljanor, would generally stay with the main camp/caravan, joining combat only when a fight happens there.

One thought I had was, should an encounter occur while in camp, shuffle up all the companions, including commanders (and soldier groups, if they're cards), and deal one or two to each player, to see who happens to arrive on the scene in time to do something about it.

jkat718
2016-01-02, 06:24 PM
You could possibly base something off of the number of units accompanying the PCs, such as "the Zhentarim agents deal a number of points of slashing damage equal to 4 times the number of Zhents present." That exact wording also includes any Zhents you pick up along the way and even Zhentarim PCs, giving added incentive to both jointing a faction and to getting your faction's troops.

Alternatively (or additionally), you could just treat them similarly to a mob: they take damage at a slower rate the more of them that are present.

mgshamster
2016-01-02, 11:14 PM
My players made a suggestion to the escaped slaves during game tonight. Instead of 1d6 + 1d6/2 levels, they suggested 1d6+1d6/3 slaves. This better represents damage with more people. It also has precedent with the twins. Having it become better with increased level sets a new precedent that my players didn't like.

They also lost a slave tonight. They had an unexpected lava event, and one of the slaves sacrificed his life to save the PC. The concepts of 1 injury = 1 slave turns out to work very well.

mgshamster
2016-01-03, 12:26 AM
Just thought of something else. My group has never defined how the NPC Cards gain inspiration.

Tonight, we decided that in order to grant an NPC card inspiration, they Player has to do a side-bar explaining – in 2-5 minutes – a scene with them roleplaying with the NPC. If they do it to the muster of the entire group, then the NPC card has inspiration, which a player can use to gain the inspiration ability on the card.

For example, one of my players had his PC start with the Slave Background, and he was a slave to Eldeth's family. Tonight, he weaved a story of how he forgave her and her family for keeping him as a slave, and our group loved it. This granted her inspiration which anyone "attuned" to that NPC could use to gain her inspiration ability.

Goober4473
2016-01-03, 03:02 AM
Just thought of something else. My group has never defined how the NPC Cards gain inspiration.

Tonight, we decided that in order to grant an NPC card inspiration, they Player has to do a side-bar explaining – in 2-5 minutes – a scene with them roleplaying with the NPC. If they do it to the muster of the entire group, then the NPC card has inspiration, which a player can use to gain the inspiration ability on the card.

For example, one of my players had his PC start with the Slave Background, and he was a slave to Eldeth's family. Tonight, he weaved a story of how he forgave her and her family for keeping him as a slave, and our group loved it. This granted her inspiration which anyone "attuned" to that NPC could use to gain her inspiration ability.

That's a pretty good way to handle it. What I have in the document is: "A companion gains inspiration after any meaningful conversation with a PC, whenever a PC helps the companion accomplish a significant personal goal, or any other time the DM feels is appropriate." The way I'm running it is very lenient. Any real conversation counts, so long as it's more than like, saying hi.

I've updated my OotA companions document again, now with the faction leaders (except the noble, who will not be accompanying the party) and the regular soldiers/mounts.

SMac8988
2016-01-03, 02:44 PM
Thinking about stealing this idea, mild tweaks, for my upcoming campaign. I plan to give the group a Mercenary guide house to run, and let them take one NPC with them as they want, or maybe given them like a cost system so they can take two weaker or one strong. But this is so awesome and definitely will help with that system.

Awesome work!

Goober4473
2016-01-06, 12:58 PM
I've made some additions to my OotA companions document. In addition to minor tweaks:

- Added Pelek, the ghost that can be found in Buppido's lair.
- Added Hanne Hellen, of the Dark Hunters, who can be found in the Wormwrithings.
- Added Grin Ousstyr, since he'll likely be tagging along with the party at least briefly.
- Added "svirfneblin archers" and "ghosts" cards to hand out during the battle for Blingdenstone. Print out one of each for each player.
- Added a carrion crawler card, in case the players run into one with a saddle and no rider.
- Added a loyalty ability to riding lizards.
- Added Modron March card, in case the modrons in the labyrinth join the party.
- Added myconid warriors card for the battle with Juiblex. They are assigned to the whole party, so print just one card and give it to whoever wants to keep track of it.

Thinking about stealing this idea, mild tweaks, for my upcoming campaign. I plan to give the group a Mercenary guide house to run, and let them take one NPC with them as they want, or maybe given them like a cost system so they can take two weaker or one strong. But this is so awesome and definitely will help with that system.

Awesome work!

Nice. That sounds like a perfect use of this system. In my D&D In Space game, I'm having the players choose a landing crew when they go on a mission: each player has two characters to choose from, and then they each get to pick one companion to bring. We haven't been playing long, but it's been working well.

SMac8988
2016-01-06, 01:07 PM
I just need to come up with the characters, and what they can all do in and out of combat

mgshamster
2016-01-06, 01:25 PM
One of my players wants to use this idea to convert some of the NPCs from PotA into cards. I'll send in an update when he does them.

Goober4473
2016-01-07, 12:45 PM
One of my players wants to use this idea to convert some of the NPCs from PotA into cards. I'll send in an update when he does them.

make sure to keep them in spoiler tags though. I'm actually playing in a PotA game right now. I'll pass anything you come up with on to my DM though. :smallsmile:

mgshamster
2016-01-31, 11:20 PM
One of the escaped slaves from the Escaped Slaves Companion Card I made has become a named character. I'd like to make him a specific companion, but I'm at a loss for what to have him do.

He's likely a fighter (maybe a squire?) or a scrapper. High strength (16) very low wisdom (4), rest of his stats are average. He's very loyal to the group (so he'll likely be starting off with the loyalty ability).

Thoughts?

Mikkles
2016-03-15, 05:17 PM
Made an account just for this thread. My group is using the companions rules and are loving it so far.

My current issue is, there are so many NPC personalities to track in Out of the Abyss, that it's hard to remember everyone's personalities and personal goals. Thus, it's difficult to figure out how the companions gain loyalty and inspiration. Some have a miniquest in their paragraph, which I would reward with loyalty, but others are less developed.

So I decided to start a list of personalities! These are, of course, just my personal takes on the characters and I encourage every DM to change them to suit their party, but it helps me to have a few words on a sheet to reference when I have to go "wait, which one was Turvy again?"

Buppido - Derro, 120yo (Old). Undercommon.
Upbeat, mildly higher pitched, kindly, not all there.
Says everything is part of his divine plan, but dismisses it as an old derro thinking out loud.
Likes: Being vicious to foes. Giving him the utmost respect.
Loyalty: Impossible, due to events in Grack-etc.

Derendil - Quaggoth/Elf, Says 150yo (Young adult). Elvish, understands Undercommon.
Haughty, princely, droning English accent.
Tries to keep fur cleaned and combed. Distasteful of roughing it, often comments on poor food and water. Laments that he loses himself to quaggoth savagery. Goes "savage" (unattaches from PC and becomes neutral NPC) if given injury mark. Only returns after battle or someone reinforced "true identity"
Claims prince of Nelrindenvane in High Forest; usurper Terrestor.
Likes: Telling his story of Nelrindenvane and having people believe him. Being pampered, such as improving taste with prestig.
Loyalty: After a few savage modes, if he's alive, he breaks down, thinking to remove himself from party. Gain loyalty if party convinces him to keep going.

Eldeth - Dwarf, 55yo (Young adult). Common, dwarven.
Talks quickly. Stubborn, gets exasperated easily, quick to laugh.
Proud of heritage. Defiant and self-sacrificing. Will volunteer for things like holding ropes or climbing cliffs if a PC doesn't immediately volunteer.
Despises drow and underdark, "corrupt dark dwellers"
Likes: Doubting underdark dwellers, trying to help others (other than underdarkers)
Loyalty: Bringing her home.

Jimjar - Deep gnome. Can't remember age, but young adult. Common, Undercommon
(NOTE: I'm using the optional Jimjar's Last Stand variant in the back of the book)
Jersey accent. Gregarious, devil-may-care, lazy. Bets on everything. Keeps mental track of debts and credits. Not above pocketing coin. Fine with visiting interesting places. Seems nonplussed when Demon Lords appear, but always votes on the path that opposes the demon lords.
Likes: Taking and completing interesting wagers (win or lose), especially if unexpected results occur. Visiting exciting locations. Opposing demon lords (as opposed to just fleeing or trying to escape underdark)
Loyalty: PCs agree to return to underdark after escaping.

Ront I'm killing off so I don't have one for him.

Sarith - Drow young adult. Undercommon. (Please note I know very little about the drow)
Low, smooth voice, very slight southern lilt.
Disgraced by drow, but believes he is still higher in status than non-drow. Dislikes talking to the party. If asked about his murder, he varies between it being a setup to discredit him and believing it to be true. Refuses to talk about the rash on his forehead.
Lotalty: He gets killed off later, and is stubbornly racist to the end.

I've run out of time, but I plan on writing notes for myself for every NPC. They've successfully recruited Yuk Yuk and Spiderbait, Fargas, Glabbagool, Dawnbringer, and Hemeth; none of which have very in-depth personalities given, and no real goals to my knowledge.

(Glabbagool is just chill. He holds pretty normal conversation, but stops when he realizes a new concept, always saying Oh, thing, neat. "Oh! You have feet! Neat!" or "Oh! The concept of death! Neat!")

Goober4473
2016-03-15, 11:32 PM
So I decided to start a list of personalities! These are, of course, just my personal takes on the characters and I encourage every DM to change them to suit their party, but it helps me to have a few words on a sheet to reference when I have to go "wait, which one was Turvy again?"

Looks good. I've been keeping similar, if more abridged, notes. I generally note character stuff in the form of Fate aspects, and I found knowing what languages they all speak was helpful. My notes looks like this:

Eldeth - Rude, Speaks in Questions?, Mistrusts Non-Surfacers, (Common, Dwarvish)
Stool - Kid, Precious Cinnamon Roll, (Spore Telepathy)
Shuushar - Fish Man (flappy mouth), Enlightened, (Undercommon, Dwarvish, Elvish, Celestial, Deep Speech)
Buppido - Southern Bumpkin, Murderer, (Undercommon, Dwarvish)
Derendil - Posh Snob, Bouts of Bestial Rage, (Undercommon, Elvish)
Jimjar - Devil-May-Care, I Ain't No Welcher, Gambler (Common, Undercommon, Gnomish)
Ront - Bully, Wants to Redeem Himself, Bloodskull Clan (Chief Ogurkek, Priest Yagabek, Orog Garundzer), (Common, Orc)
Sarith - Calm and Strategic, Overly Cautious, Headaches, (Undercommon, Elvish)
Topsy - Secretive and Jumpy, Russian, (Undercommon, Gnomish)
Turvy - Mutters, Russian, (Undercommon, Gnomish)

Yuk Yuk - Butthead, Negotiates, (Common, Undercommon, Goblin)
Spiderbait - Beavis, (Common, Undercommon, Goblin)
Fargas - Cockney, Too Okay With Everything, (Common, Halfling)
Glabbagool - CAPS LOCK (Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant), Curious, (Telepathy)
Dawnbringer - Enunciates/No Contractions, Mom, (Common)
Hemeth - Italian Maffioso, Weapons, (Undercommon, Dwarvish)
Pelek - Scardy Cat, Russian, (Undercommon, Gnomish)
Rumpadump - Mean Kid, Vicious Sinnamon Roll, (Spore Telepathy)

Mikkles
2016-03-18, 11:36 PM
Looks good. I've been keeping similar, if more abridged, notes. I generally note character stuff in the form of Fate aspects, and I found knowing what languages they all speak was helpful. My notes looks like this:

Eldeth - Rude, Speaks in Questions?, Mistrusts Non-Surfacers, (Common, Dwarvish)
Stool - Kid, Precious Cinnamon Roll, (Spore Telepathy)
Shuushar - Fish Man (flappy mouth), Enlightened, (Undercommon, Dwarvish, Elvish, Celestial, Deep Speech)
Buppido - Southern Bumpkin, Murderer, (Undercommon, Dwarvish)
Derendil - Posh Snob, Bouts of Bestial Rage, (Undercommon, Elvish)
Jimjar - Devil-May-Care, I Ain't No Welcher, Gambler (Common, Undercommon, Gnomish)
Ront - Bully, Wants to Redeem Himself, Bloodskull Clan (Chief Ogurkek, Priest Yagabek, Orog Garundzer), (Common, Orc)
Sarith - Calm and Strategic, Overly Cautious, Headaches, (Undercommon, Elvish)
Topsy - Secretive and Jumpy, Russian, (Undercommon, Gnomish)
Turvy - Mutters, Russian, (Undercommon, Gnomish)

Yuk Yuk - Butthead, Negotiates, (Common, Undercommon, Goblin)
Spiderbait - Beavis, (Common, Undercommon, Goblin)
Fargas - Cockney, Too Okay With Everything, (Common, Halfling)
Glabbagool - CAPS LOCK (Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant), Curious, (Telepathy)
Dawnbringer - Enunciates/No Contractions, Mom, (Common)
Hemeth - Italian Maffioso, Weapons, (Undercommon, Dwarvish)
Pelek - Scardy Cat, Russian, (Undercommon, Gnomish)
Rumpadump - Mean Kid, Vicious Sinnamon Roll, (Spore Telepathy)

Ooh, awesome, I'm definitely going to use some of those for my NPCs.
What I find important in my notes, which I was trying to express, was the Likes and Loyalties. With everything going on, I often forget that I had characterized Derendil to enjoy being treated well, and to reward my PCs with his Inspiration points when they remember that. I'm making sure to track in my head how often an NPC gets Inspiration, and make it harder subsequent times. Like, the first inspiration Derendil got was from them merely listening to him talk, but the next time they needed to engage him more and play to his fantasies. It's stuff like that that I lose track of in the middle of an adventure.

Goober4473
2016-03-19, 01:24 AM
Ooh, awesome, I'm definitely going to use some of those for my NPCs.
What I find important in my notes, which I was trying to express, was the Likes and Loyalties. With everything going on, I often forget that I had characterized Derendil to enjoy being treated well, and to reward my PCs with his Inspiration points when they remember that. I'm making sure to track in my head how often an NPC gets Inspiration, and make it harder subsequent times. Like, the first inspiration Derendil got was from them merely listening to him talk, but the next time they needed to engage him more and play to his fantasies. It's stuff like that that I lose track of in the middle of an adventure.

That makes sense. My general rule is to award inspiration for any interaction that isn't relevant to the current situation or plot, which keeps things pretty easy.

Goober4473
2016-06-27, 05:12 PM
I've updated my OotA companion document, with the following:

Added Shuushar the Unawakened, since I intend to having cleansing the temple in Blingdenstone remove madness, causing Derendil to go berserk, but Shuushar merely to question his beliefs.

Added the gnolls Kurr and Gash, which I had missed earlier.

Replaced Lanniver Strayl with Torea Strayl. Torea was a paladin in my last campaign, and I'd prefer to add more female NPCs in where possible.

Some other minor adjustments, including a nerf for Ront's inspiration ability to make it apply only to weapon dice and his bonus damage, and not things like smite, sneak attack, or hex.

[edit]: Also, I added a card for "Edylyn Mizzrym", who is my replacement for Ilvara. The card is a ruse, however. I'm going to write "PSYCHE!" on the back of it, and should they accept her "surrender", she's going to summon a Yochlol that eats its way out of her, in place of the priestess' normal ability to try to summon one.

mgshamster
2016-08-27, 10:23 PM
Hey Goober,

Got any ideas for adding Kinyel Druu'giir (Drow Assassin found in Mantol-Darith) to the list?

Goober4473
2016-08-28, 12:38 AM
Hey Goober,

Got any ideas for adding Kinyel Druu'giir (Drow Assassin found in Mantol-Darith) to the list?

I hadn't intended on using her as a companion, but I'd probably go with Evasion 1/Short Rest, auto-crit on a surprised creature if loyal, and sneak attack for inspiration.

Goober4473
2016-08-31, 03:30 PM
This system is now up on the DMs Guild! All nice and pretty.

I'm not sure if it's okay to post a link, so I'll refrain, but the Google Doc in the first post now has a link.

mgshamster
2016-09-07, 10:55 PM
How do you deal with stacking features of similar types? For example, if two different companions add x damage to each attack - do they stack? Or do you just get the better of the two?

Goober4473
2016-09-08, 02:30 AM
How do you deal with stacking features of similar types? For example, if two different companions add x damage to each attack - do they stack? Or do you just get the better of the two?

I would have them stack, though I think the only ones that add flat damage are the various soldiers. In my game, those and the "leader" companions are always with the "expedition main force", which includes them as well as various other soldiers, scouts, messengers, supply runners, foragers, cooks, and servants that have gone down with my players. When the PCs are with the main force and a combat happens, they get dealt a random card out of the soldiers and leaders; the rest are busy dealing with some other part of the fight. So they should generally end up with only one at a time. I may give them all of the cards for the Juiblex fight, though, depending on when I run it.