PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Domains for a Cleric of Desna and the "Sacred Summons" feat

Squeak
2015-11-16, 05:57 PM
I am making a level 12 Cleric of Desna for a Pathfinder game and I am trying to decide on the best domain choices. It is very tough since Liberation, Travel and Luck (Fate subdomain) are such amazing choices. I know, I know, - if only all characters had this problem :)

Right now I am tempted to go for Travel and Fate, but Liberation seems as if it will help the party more than Travel. However, the +20 extra speed boost (+10 base +10 Longstrider), mini-teleport and spells from Travel are exceptionally strong also. And the reroll ability of Fate seems incredible. So what are people's practical experiences with these domains?

The DM has indicated that he isn't going to cut us any slack, and I have taken the Second Chance trait:

"Once per day, when you fail a saving throw, you can reroll the saving throw. You must take the second result even if it is worse."

and am planning to take the Divine Intervention feat:

"As an immediate action, when an enemy within 30 feet hits an ally with an attack, you can sacrifice a prepared divine spell or (if you are a spontaneous caster) an unused spell slot and make the enemy reroll the attack roll."

I am also planning on taking the

Spell Focus (conjuration)
Augment Summoning
Superior Summoning

feats and was wondering if it was worth bothering with Sacred Summon, as this could be replaced with a Rod of Quicken. And if I use a Rod of Quicken could I get TWO castings of summons out in a single round without the Sacred Summons feat? And am I right in thinking that if I have the Sacred Summons feat and use a Rod of Quicken I could get two sets of summons out in a single round that could act in that round?

Or are there any other comments or suggestions?

Geddy2112
2015-11-16, 06:54 PM
Desna is best girl-she has all of the best domains in the game, and is better than all other deities /endthread.

Ok seriously. Fate is a worse domain than the standard luck domain, but it is still good. The spells are arguably worse, and while forcing a reroll on other things is decent, but I would rather have the re roll for self, which you can use 2/day at level 12. Liberation is amazing for level 1 freedom of movement. You honestly can't go wrong-I think luck is the best, and liberation vs travel is a personal choice. I mean, you are a tier 1 caster at level 12....how godly high do you need to optimize?

Why not a rod of quicken and sacred summons? How is a feat costing you all of the gold you would take on the rod? Or is it because you would craft it yourself by taking craft rod as a fear? However, you can't quicken a summon spell because it normally takes a full round. If you had sacred summons and were summoning a monster that meets the criteria then yes, you could summon two.

tadkins
2015-11-16, 07:11 PM
It's funny because just five minutes ago I closed a bunch of pages researching a possible cleric of Cayden Cailean I might play soon. Desna is similar so I'll throw in my two cents.

Regarding Liberation vs Travel, you mentioned that the DM won't be pulling any punches. Judging between the two, it feels like Liberation would be better to have in those "oh s***" moments where you'd be glad to have that Freedom of Movement. If you'll be doing a lot of summoning, your monsters and your party members would probably love Freedom's Call.

Luck is also always a solid domain. Fate seems better if you were playing a debuffing-type cleric where you absolutely want them to fail a save against something you're doing to them, but in this case I think Luck might be better.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Squeak
2015-11-16, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am curious why you consider Fate worse than Luck - I thought that Fate's "Tugging Strands" worked on anyone which seems to be borne out by the discussion here:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2onr3?Cleric-Questions-Luck-powers-which-to-choose

and "Borrow Fortune" is a great level 3 OH **** button. And I have "Second Chance" in reserve too......

Also from the answer here:

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o63

it looks like that even without "Sacred Summons" I can used a quickened summon spell as a swift action. This means that the summons get to act on my round. However, what Sacred Summons would do is allow me to get the second set of summons out and acting on the same round.....

Geddy2112
2015-11-16, 07:54 PM
Good to see you have everything under control. our work is done here.

tadkins
2015-11-16, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am curious why you consider Fate worse than Luck - I thought that Fate's "Tugging Strands" worked on anyone which seems to be borne out by the discussion here:

You get more uses out of Good Fortune (6th level) than Tugging Strands (8th level) at the cost of only being able to use it on yourself. Your build suggests that you'll be doing more summoning/support, so Good Fortune seems more appropriate. Tugging Strands is something I'd consider more on a melee/debuffer. An offensive cleric if you will.

Squeak
2015-11-16, 08:33 PM
You get more uses out of Good Fortune (6th level) than Tugging Strands (8th level) at the cost of only being able to use it on yourself. Your build suggests that you'll be doing more summoning/support, so Good Fortune seems more appropriate. Tugging Strands is something I'd consider more on a melee/debuffer. An offensive cleric if you will.

Thanks again.

Is it only the fact that I need to wait two more levels to get two charges of Tugging Strands that makes it worse in your opinion. So at 14th level, Tugging Strands would in every scenario be superior? (As I mentioned the only discussion I could find: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2onr3?Cleric-Questions-Luck-powers-which-to-choose seemed to be in favour of TS working on everyone including myself.)

tadkins
2015-11-16, 08:36 PM
Thanks again.

Is it only the fact that I need to wait two more levels to get two charges of Tugging Strands that makes it worse in your opinion. So at 14th level, Tugging Strands would in every scenario be superior? (As I mentioned the only discussion I could find: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2onr3?Cleric-Questions-Luck-powers-which-to-choose seemed to be in favour of TS working on everyone including myself.)

Not worse, the other just feels more fitting for your concept. The difference is negligible regardless, feel free to go with any of them.