PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Building The Perfect Eberron Villain

Matron Mother
2015-11-16, 09:33 PM
Alright so I joined Roll20.com and there's a group called Savage Tide that's led by Oneeye and here are the specifics posted:
Savage Tide :Pirate/Aquatic campaign.
Rules: 3.5
Starting Level: 10
Stats 4d6 minus lowest
Setting: Eberron Campaign setting
Starting Races: Any non level adjusting race from any 3.5 books and Eberron
Campaign setting. (Aquatic races are in Storm wrack).
Starting Equipment: Max Starting gold for level one player for your class.
Time of Game: Monday 11am. Australia Sydney time. (Roughly 9pm American).This may change.
Savage Tide Players Guide for Character creation.
ignore the stuff about Sasserine as the players are now on the Isle of Dread

Remember Its an aquatic campaign. Heavy armour will make you sink!!
Important Skills: Swim, Proffesion (sailing), Survival, Knowledge (Geography).
Answer all five questions well and get a feat for free!!

Five Background Questions
1.You are on the Isle of Dread. How did you get there and where do you live?
I will give background on island.
2. Who were your parents and family?
3. The Isle of Dread is very dangerous how do you get your food?
4. Your character has been influenced by one of these organisations as they grew up The Church of the Whirling Fury, Dawn Council, Scarlet Brotherhood, The Seekers, Witchwardens and Zelkarune’s Horns. Which one?
They are briefly described near the end of the players guide under affiliations.
5.An event has recently given you a small amount of notoriety on the ISland. What happened?

Now I've played so many D&D 3.5 and NWN campaigns that I frustrated the guy trying to figure out what I could build since I've never done an Eberron Campaign, so in the end he gave me an offer: I can play as a level 13 Villain that's either working for Demons, or contracting a deal with them to gain something and in exchange destroy the party of heroes. I thought to myself, what better class then a Necromancer?

Bottom line is this:
I want to make a well-balanced badass Necromancer that does ice/cold magic but being hardy with weapons as well. I'm trying to find several things:
1) Best suited feats
2) Best suited race
3) Best suited class

Matron Mother
2015-11-16, 10:11 PM
I have a pretty good idea what kind of feats I'd probably need:

Deadly Chill
[GENERAL]
Undead you raise or create deal more damage than normal.
Prerequisite: Corpsecrafter.
Benefit: Each corporeal undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage with its natural weapons.

Source: Libris Mortis

Tomb-Tainted Soul

( Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead, p. 31)

[General]

Your soul is tainted by the foul touch of undeath.
Prerequisite
Nongood alignment,
Required for
Tomb-Born Fortitude (LM) , Tomb-Born Resilience (LM) , Tomb-Born Vitality (LM) ,
Benefit
You are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if you were an undead creature. This feat gives no other penalties or benefits of the undead type.

ninjamaster1991
2015-11-16, 10:19 PM
It might be a bit cheesy, but a Warforged gets the 1/2 effect from Positive Energy effects even with Tomb-Tainted Soul. Warforged Juggernaut would make him crazy durable (especially if your minions explode into Inflict spells), but cut into his casting something fierce. Also immune to penalties from cold weather, though not the damage itself.

Beyond that, a Cleric or Dread Necromancer is all you need.

Drynwyn
2015-11-16, 10:55 PM
There's a feat from, IIRC, Complete Arcane, that you might find handy and flavor-appropriate: Lord of the Uttercold. Whenever you cast a Cold spell, you can declare it to be an Uttercold spell, in which case it deals half of it's damage as Negative Energy damage. This means that your cold AoE's don't harm your minions, and actively heal any Skeletons or other cold-immune undead.

For best results, combine with Energy Substitution: Cold, Necropolitan/Tomb Tainted Soul, and Cold Resistance/Immunity.