PDA

View Full Version : Domination

Jimbob
2007-06-01, 05:27 AM
In last night's session, we couldn't work out whether domination ended when the caster was killed or whether the victim continued to follow out their task until they'd either completed it or the spell had ended. I decided to have the spell end on the caster being killed, but in fairness it was easy to argue it both ways.

Please help!:smalleek:

Fourth Tempter
2007-06-01, 05:32 AM
As written, the victim would continue to carry out their final command.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-01, 05:40 AM
Indeed. A spell only ends upon the caster's death if the descriptions explicitly states it does or if the duration was Concentration (as dead spellcasters are unable to concentrate).

Skyserpent
2007-06-01, 05:47 AM
I'd say the spell remains in effect, though the saving throw mechanic is obvious... he'll get to fight off control every day since there won't be the 1 round of concentration. I'd also houserule a cumulative -1 to the DC each day so that weaker willed subjects can EVENTUALLY get out. Though such a powerful spell should not end when the caster is gone. It's like if Magic Weapon fizzled once the wielder dies...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-01, 06:08 AM
I'd also houserule a cumulative -1 to the DC each day so that weaker willed subjects can EVENTUALLY get out.
Weaker willed subjects do eventually get out if for no other reason than because the spell's one day/level duration runs out.