PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Help me stat my boss monster

WalkingTheShade
2015-11-17, 03:33 AM
A long time ago, our classical friendly neighborhood powerful lich crafted and populated a trope overdosed dungeon demiplane to hide and protect their phylactery. The lich then left for the material plane to do whatever it is liches do on their spare time.

The twist, however, is that the phylactery was not so ordinary. More than their mortality, the lich embedded the phylactery with many memories and personality traits they felt were holding them back from evulz and absolute powah. Guilt, love, compassion, memories of friends and allies, memories of happier and more innocent times... The phylactery was both overloaded by unusual contents and flawed by that proverbial last spark of good left by the lich in it. It couldn't contain all that and... huh... started "metaphysically collapsing" on itself under the load. It's a slooooow kind of collapse we're talking of, here.

Over the aeons, the phylactery started sucking in energy from the demiplane. Then, negative energy from its undead guardians. Some of the more vivid memories started leaking out of it. At last, the phylactery started evolving sentience.

Most of the dungeon is now ruined and dysfunctional, and haunted by phantasms, shadow manifestations of the more vivid of those leaked memories, complete with illusionnary terrain and monsters.

The last protection guarding the phylactery is still functional. It's exact nature is irrelevant. What is important is that until now, the phylactery has been physically contained. It has some perception of the dungeon, but no means to interact with it. The phylactery believes itself to be the lich and the leaking memories to be its own. Incarceration and a feeling of incompleteness have driven it unstable. It wants nothing more than escaping its prison, recover its memories and vent its suffering on everything in its path.

the last protection is found hanging in mid-air in a room with subjective gravity. Once the protection is removed, the phylactery appears first as small box of dull metal. In an instant, it will start glowing with energy and form a body around itself, made of debris glued together by astral ectoplasm. It will attack anyone around, mistaking its liberators for jailers. As the memories will start being sucked back from the rest of the dungeon to the phylactery, the terrain will immediately start changing forms every couple round, taking features of those phantasms until now at large in the dungeon.

I need stats and some kind of weakness. Instant win conditions are fine, if they're not too straightforward to figure out.

Specs:
- I'm aiming for a party of level of 8 to 9, average optimization. It should thus be around CR 11.
- Large size. Morphology not necessarily humanoid.
- Alignment: very angry CN.
- Mental stats: I'm thinking something along INT 7, WIS 6 and CHA as manifesting stat.
- Psionic powers.
- Most probably construct type.
- Maybe some regeneration for the outlying body, however leaving a method to sunder the phylactery directly.

Also, some prior adventuring party went through the dungeon and got killed there. Their bodies, with some loot, are still lying around. Planning magic items useful for the encounter is fair game.
I was thinking of leaving around some construct slaying ammunition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#slayingArrow), with the caveat that the body can't be destroyed by them. Dispelling the body for a round or damaging it enough should open the way to target the phylactery directly.

Lhurgyof
2015-11-17, 04:28 AM
From the description, I'd say a buffed up gibbering mouther may work. All the memories leaking out could be the different mouths talking. I'll see if I can stat something up tomorrow. What do the party's builds look like?

WalkingTheShade
2015-11-17, 04:31 AM
What do the party's builds look like?
I'd rather make a generic monster first, then tweak it to the party if necessary. Let's assume a party of 4 with a fighter, a rogue, a cleric and a wizard, with medium optimization.

Lhurgyof
2015-11-17, 06:28 AM
I'd rather make a generic monster first, then tweak it to the party if necessary. Let's assume a party of 4 with a fighter, a rogue, a cleric and a wizard, with medium optimization.

Alright. For sources, I'm using Nishruu (Monsters of Faerun) and the Gibbering Mouther for inspiration.

Large Abberation (Living Construct)
Hit Dice: 12d8+83 (121 HP)
Initiative: +5
Speed: Fly 20 ft (Perfect)
Armor Class: 23 (-1 size, +1 dex, +5 deflection, +8 inertial armor]), touch 14, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: Pseudopod +15 melee (1d8+7+1d6 electricity plus sap memory)
Full Attack: Psuedopod +15 melee (1d8+7+1d6 electricity plus sap memory) and bite +10 melee (2d6+3 plus 1d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./15 ft. (5 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Engulf, improved grab, psionics, sap memory, utterance of many.
Special Qualities: Abberant mind, alien anatomy, darkvision 60 ft, fast healing 3, living construct traits, phylactery heart, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort: +9, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 6, Wis 7, Cha 20
Skills: Spellcraft +13
Feats: Ability Focus: Sap Memory, Mindsight, Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Improved Initiative, Extend Reach (psuedopod)
Environment: -
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: -

A floating mass of translucent, quasi-real magic hovers before you. It reaches out to you, trying to engulf your body along with it. In your mind you hear the paranoid whispers of a mighty sorcerer, the voices becoming maddening. In its center however, you spot an ornate silvered box.

Narosu is a hiddeous, ooze-like being comprised of the memories and magic of a lich. It appears as a roughly spheroid shimmering membrane of translucent purple goo, sparkling with arcane energy. Along its surface, faces of its lich master form, disappear and reform. The faces look as if screaming out in pain or cackling maniacally, but no sound is present except the sloshing of goo and the slight electric crackling of the latent magic. Deep within its mass, a silvery box is located.

Combat

Narosu enjoyes engulfing and grabbing enemy spellcasters to attempt to take their precious spells.

Abberant Mind (Su): Narosu's conglomerate of memories makes it particularly difficult to pry into its mind. Any creature targeting Narosu with an enchantment spell or telepathy power must succeed on a DC 21 Will save or take 1d4 Wisdom damage. The creature's alien mind gives it a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.

Alien Anatomy (Ex): Due to its strange physiology and loose definition of being alive, Narosu is harder to vitally strike than normal creatures. Naruso has a 25% chance of ignoring any critical hit, sneak attack (or similar feature), or favored enemy bonus damage. If Naruso is affected by one of these attacks, Naruso takes half damage and its phylactery heart takes the other half (see below). In addition, due to its relatively massive body it haseems 20 extra hit points, much like an ooze.

Engulf (Ex): Narosu can simply engulf creatures by moving over them as a standard action. To do so, Narosu enters a creature's square. Victims can choose to make an attack of opportunity with a +4 bonus or can attempt to avoid the engulf with a DC 23 Reflex save (DC is Strength Based). If the target succeeds, they are merely pushed aside. Victims who fail or take the attack of opportunity are engulfed by Narosu and are at risk of drowning in its ectoplasmic body. A creature can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to twice its constitution score. While engulfed, the victim is subject to Narosu's sap memory ability (see below). Engulfed creatures take 1d4 electricity damage each round they remain within Narosu from the pure arcane energies comprising its body.

Fast Healing (Su): Narosu is sustained by the magic and memories it devours. In any round where a target fails its saving throw against its sap memory ability (see below), Narosu heals 3 hit points.

Improved Grab (Ex): If Narosu hits with its bite attack, it may start a grapple as a free action. Creatures grappled are automatically engulfed (see above).

Living Construct Traits: Living constructs have immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain. Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing sub-school provide only half effect to a living construct. Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fortitude save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects. Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action. A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than –10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable. A living construct can be raised or resurrected.
It does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions. Unlike other constructs, a living construct is not immune to mind-affecting effects.

Phylactery Heart (Ex): Narosu itself is nigh-unkillable. If Narosu is reduced to -10 hit points or below (or outright killed and/or destroyed, such as by a disintegrate spell), it will re-manifest itself in 1d4 days at full hit points. To slay Narosu, its phylactery must be destroyed. Its phylactery is a silver box containing unholy texts. It is a tiny magically-protected object with AC 10, Hardness 10 and 20 HP. As an object, it takes half damage from ranged attacks. Each round, the phylactery may use Narosu's Sap Memory ability against an adjacent foe. If the target fails its save, Narosu regains 3 hit points. If Narosu had been destroyed, it is revived at -7 HP. If it had been inert, it merely regains 3 hit points until it is again conscious. If Narosu regains consciousness, creatures within its space are treated as if they had been attacked by Narosu's engulf ability (see above).

Psionics (Sp): Naruso is a powerfully psionic creature. It may manifest am augmented inertial armor at will. In addition it may manifest Ego Whip, Id Insinuation (augmented to two targets, +1 DC), and Body Adjustment (4d12) 3 times per day. Saving throw DC is equal to 15 + power level, + augmentation.

Sap Memory (Su): Narosu is sustained by the memories of its phylactery's creator as well as his magic and the magic of the plane around him. Any creature hit by its psuedopod attack or beginning its turn engulfed must make a DC 23 Will saving throw or take 1do points of wisdom drain. The save DC is charisma-bassed. Spellcasters affected by this drain lose one randomly prepared spell for the day of the highest level they have available. Any creature activating a magic item that uses charges within 50 ft. of Narosu expends twice as many charges as normal. Psionicists instead lose Power Points equal to their level.

Utterance of Many (Su): Narosu constantly fills its enemies' minds with its memories of its own depraved and corrupted life. Each creature that enters within 60 ft. of Narosu must make a DC 21 Will saving throw or be confused as the spell for 1d6 rounds, and then are shaken for 1d6 rounds. Creatures that make the saving throw are instead shaken for 1d6 rounds, but are immune to Narosu's Utterance of Many ability for 24 hours.

Telepathy: Though Narosu does not speak in traditional methods, it can communicate telepathically with any creature that has a language within 100 ft. of it.

For comparison, I looked at the CR 11 Hezrou to determine what difficulty this should be. I didn't really work in the psionics, but it's easy to imagine the Sap Memory ability as being a type of psionic mind-feeding.

WalkingTheShade
2015-11-18, 09:10 AM
Thanks a lot!
There are a lot of good ideas here. Making the body an aberration is a good way to enable the rogue's sneak-attack. I like the use of Extended reach, as it corresponds to what I was imagining. I like that it returns after 1d4 days, without a notice.

My main problem with Narosu is that it doesn't do enough to actually threaten the party.
The damage output, on a full attack, is quite weak at that level (24 dmg/round on average). Meaning the party can easily tank by sending the fighter to contact, while the rest stay away.
Narosu's only dangerous ability is the WIS drain, but on a combat lasting 10 rounds or less, it won't be overly scary to PCs. The spell eating effect might annoy the cleric or wizard, but I guess they'd get far away from the monster after the first time on of them gets hit with it.
Add to this the lowish AC, and that means a two-hander fighter can stay in place, accept the WIS drain and electricity damage and (as long as he's not grappled) hit it with power attack until it dies. All the while the 3 other party members are doing whatever they can to accelerate the process.
The confusion effect might delay the process by a couple rounds maximum, but won't prevent it.

Comparing it with a Hezrou (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#hezrou), we see that the demon is way more durable: more HP, way better AC, spell resistance and DR 10/good that is non-trivial to bypass at level 8-9.
The Hezrou's hand to hand damage sucks, but it can use power attack to make-up for it (or you know, wield an actual weapon two-handed if you want to be mean).

(Other nipticks: I have difficulty imagining a bite attack on something essentially shapeless. Also, you forgot the DC under the Utterance of many entry. Lich face bites, I get it now. It's not made clear if engulfing by moving makes the target grappled. EDIT: also, deflection should add to touch AC...)

If I wanted a regular encounter to wear the party down in the course of a game, I could use Narosu as is. However, since I need this to be a scary (and possibly deadly) boss fight, I don't see it working as I intended.

I'm definitely going to steal some of your ideas. I'll post something as soon as I can.

Lhurgyof
2015-11-18, 02:06 PM
Alright, I'm buffing up the monster then. Added psionics to hit BSF's and will be upping damage output. I think large psuedopods do 1d8 normally any ways.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-11-18, 02:46 PM
You could give the body the swarm & incorporeal subtypes, and turn it into a swarm of five thousand diminuitive illusory copies of the phylactery, circling around the single real one. They fly around together and form the faces and mouths referred to in the description of Narosu.

Swarms automatically hit anything in their area, like Engulf, but without the save. They typically do not have any melee attacks and don't grapple, they just make life hard for anything in the area. It's decent for action economy purposes, because you can move to cover the party (base damage + save vs. nausea + Sap Memory) and then use a standard to manifest a power. In fact, you could use Sap Memory in place of the normal swarm attack, automatically exposing every creature in the swarm's area to wisdom damage (no save), healing the body.

The downside is that you completely neuter precision damage and nonmagical attacks, but you could plant specific magic items to help with that, like weapon oils and flasks of acid on the cheap end (acid also harms objects, which is great), all the way up to a +1 keen swarmstrike flaming burst kukri with a greater demolition crystal at the high end.

I would give any psionic boss a permanent schism supernatural ability, allowing it to manifest two powers per turn, in addition to 10th-level telepath manifesting. That helps out in a situation where it's outnumbered, such as when fighting a 4-man party.

WalkingTheShade
2015-11-19, 06:29 AM
Alright, I'm buffing up the monster then. Added psionics to hit BSF's and will be upping damage output. I think large psuedopods do 1d8 normally any ways.
I thought it was 1d10? I gave mine Improved natural attack to move it up to 2d8. Looked up MMI, large tentacle damage is supposed to be 1d6. Let's say ours packs a little bit more of power in it, as some pseudopod parts are made of stone and we get 1d8, then Improved natural attack ramps it up to 2d6.

You could give the body the swarm & incorporeal subtypes, and turn it into a swarm of five thousand diminuitive illusory copies of the phylactery, circling around the single real one. They fly around together and form the faces and mouths referred to in the description of Narosu.

The downside is that you completely neuter precision damage and nonmagical attacks
Thanks for the tip, but the reasons you give are enough to dissuade me.

I would give any psionic boss a permanent schism supernatural ability, allowing it to manifest two powers per turn, in addition to 10th-level telepath manifesting. That helps out in a situation where it's outnumbered, such as when fighting a 4-man party.
This is noted.

Below, is what I got too, starting from Narosu's chassis:
Large Abberation (Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 12d8+120 (174 HP)
Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +1 dex, +5 deflection, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Pseudopod +14 melee (2d6+6 plus Sap memory)
Full Attack: 4 Pseudopods +12 melee (2d6+8 plus Sap memory)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Sap Memory
Special Qualities: Abberant Mind, Darkvision 120 ft, Fast Healing 10, Negative Energy Conduit, Phylactery Heart, Positive Energy Vulnerability, Psionic Body
Saves: Fort: +14, Ref +5, Will +6 (+10 vs. mind affecting)
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 12, Con 31, Int 6, Wis 7, Cha 20
Skills: Spot +13
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull-Rush, Knockback, Improved Natural Attack (Pseudopod), Extended Reach (Pseudopod)
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral

A floating mass of dungeon stone, dirt and various refuse held together by translucent ectoplasm, hovers before you. It reaches out to you, slaping wildly around with tens of arms emerging and retracting from the central mass. In its center however, half-hidden behind the moving rubble, you might just spot the shine of a simple metal box. From time to time, translucent organs, maybe eyes, shimmer on the outer surface of the ectoplasm.

The Forlorn Memento is a hideous, ooze-like being born of the memories and vile magic of a lich. It appears as a roughly spheroid mass of dungeon debris suspended in astral ectoplasm that forms its psionic body. However, that body is just a manifestation of the creature. The phylactery heart of the creature is its actual core and the true source of this monstrosity.

Combat

The statblock above takes into account the Forlorn Memento's Power attack feat (with -2 malus to attack) under the full attack entry.

Abberant Mind (Su): The Forlorn Memento's conglomerate of memories makes it particularly difficult to pry into its mind. Any creature targeting the Memento with an enchantment spell or telepathy power must succeed on a DC 21 Will save or take 1d4 Wisdom damage. The creature's alien mind gives it a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.

Negative Energy Conduit (Su): The Forlorn Memento is a conduit for Inner Planes energy that sustains it. Its psionic body is healed by negative energy spells and effects (such as Harm and Inflict spells). As long as is in an elemental Inner Plane, the Ethereal or an ethereal demiplane, it gains fast healing 10. If sent to the Positive or Negative Energy Plane, it is immediately destroyed.

Positive Energy Vulnerability (Ex): The Forlorn Memento is a conduit for negative energy. Not only does positive energy harm its psionic body, it is also vulnerable to it, taking 50% more damage from spells and effect fueled by positive energy.

Phylactery Heart (Ex): The Forlorn Memento is nigh-undestroyable. If the Memento's body is reduced to -10 hit points or below (or outright killed and/or destroyed, such as by a Disintegrate spell), its phylactery heart re-manifests the body in 1d4 days at full hit points. To destroy the Forlorn Memento, its phylactery must be destroyed. The phylactery is a silver box containing unholy texts. It is a tiny magically-protected object with AC 10, Hardness 10 and 20 HP. As an object, it takes half damage from ranged attacks. If the heart is destroyed while the body is still above -10 HP, the body disappears immediately.

Psionic Body (Su): The Forlorn Memento's body is a psionic construct controlled by its phylactery heart. It can be dispelled as a psionic power whose manifester level is equal to the Forlorn Memento's HD (DC 23). The phylactery heart can manifest the body as a free action at the beginning of its next round. The body comes back with its previous amount of hit points. While the body is dispelled, the phylactery heart is vulnerable and can be attacked directly (see above). Any effect that durably neutralizes psionic effects (such as a Null psionics field) dispells the body and prevents the heart from manifesting it again as long as it is under the effect. A creature in melee with the Memento may use a slashing weapon to breach the body to expose the phylactery heart to attacks. This works as a sunder attempt, with the body having a hardness of 10. Damage dealt to the body is substracted from the creature's total HP. If at least 15 points of damage are dealt by the sunder attempt, the phylactery heart is exposed and can be attacked directly. If attacked in this way, the phylactery is considered behind cover from the rest of the body and thus gets +4 to AC. It also gains the benefit of the body's deflection bonus to AC, for a total of AC 19. A breach in the body closes whenever the Memento's body gains hit point in any manner, for example thanks to its fast healing.

Psionic Powers: Over the aeons, the Forlorn Memento has acquired uncomparable psionic abilities. Most of its psionic potential is used to maintain its psionic body. However, the Memento can manifest a few psionic powers as a wilder of 8th level, with a reserve of 74 power points. Reducing the body to -10 HP renders the heart incapable of manifesting, as it needs the sum of its power to re-manifest the body. Powers known: 1st - Disable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/disable.htm), Déjà Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm), 2nd - Recall Agony (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/recallAgony.htm), 3rd - Ectoplasmic Cocoon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicCocoon.htm), 4th - Schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm).

Sap Memory (Su): The Forlorn Memento is sustained by the memories of its phylactery's creator as well as the surrounding planar energies. Contact with the Memento's psionic body drains a creature's memories. Any creature hit by its pseudopod attack, hitting the Memento's psionic body with natural weapons or beginning its turn grappling the psionic body must take a DC 21 Will saving throw (the save DC is charisma-based) or take one point of wisdom drain. This is an ability drain that restores 5 HP to the Memento's body for each point of WIS damage dealt. Prepared spellcasters affected by this drain lose one memorized spell, randomly chosen, of the highest level they have available.

Lhurgyof
2015-11-19, 05:12 PM
I thought it was 1d10? I gave mine Improved natural attack to move it up to 2d8. Looked up MMI, large tentacle damage is supposed to be 1d6. Let's say ours packs a little bit more of power in it, as some pseudopod parts are made of stone and we get 1d8, then Improved natural attack ramps it up to 2d6.

Thanks for the tip, but the reasons you give are enough to dissuade me.

This is noted.

Below, is what I got too, starting from Narosu's chassis:
Large Abberation (Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 12d8+120 (174 HP)
Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +1 dex, +5 deflection, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Pseudopod +14 melee (2d6+6 plus Sap memory)
Full Attack: 4 Pseudopods +12 melee (2d6+8 plus Sap memory)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Sap Memory
Special Qualities: Abberant Mind, Darkvision 120 ft, Fast Healing 10, Negative Energy Conduit, Phylactery Heart, Positive Energy Vulnerability, Psionic Body
Saves: Fort: +14, Ref +5, Will +6 (+10 vs. mind affecting)
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 12, Con 31, Int 6, Wis 7, Cha 20
Skills: Spot +13
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull-Rush, Knockback, Improved Natural Attack (Pseudopod), Extended Reach (Pseudopod)
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral

A floating mass of dungeon stone, dirt and various refuse held together by translucent ectoplasm, hovers before you. It reaches out to you, slaping wildly around with tens of arms emerging and retracting from the central mass. In its center however, half-hidden behind the moving rubble, you might just spot the shine of a simple metal box. From time to time, translucent organs, maybe eyes, shimmer on the outer surface of the ectoplasm.

The Forlorn Memento is a hideous, ooze-like being born of the memories and vile magic of a lich. It appears as a roughly spheroid mass of dungeon debris suspended in astral ectoplasm that forms its psionic body. However, that body is just a manifestation of the creature. The phylactery heart of the creature is its actual core and the true source of this monstrosity.

Combat

The statblock above takes into account the Forlorn Memento's Power attack feat (with -2 malus to attack) under the full attack entry.

Abberant Mind (Su): The Forlorn Memento's conglomerate of memories makes it particularly difficult to pry into its mind. Any creature targeting the Memento with an enchantment spell or telepathy power must succeed on a DC 21 Will save or take 1d4 Wisdom damage. The creature's alien mind gives it a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.

Negative Energy Conduit (Su): The Forlorn Memento is a conduit for Inner Planes energy that sustains it. Its psionic body is healed by negative energy spells and effects (such as Harm and Inflict spells). As long as is in an elemental Inner Plane, the Ethereal or an ethereal demiplane, it gains fast healing 10. If sent to the Positive or Negative Energy Plane, it is immediately destroyed.

Positive Energy Vulnerability (Ex): The Forlorn Memento is a conduit for negative energy. Not only does positive energy harm its psionic body, it is also vulnerable to it, taking 50% more damage from spells and effect fueled by positive energy.

Phylactery Heart (Ex): The Forlorn Memento is nigh-undestroyable. If the Memento's body is reduced to -10 hit points or below (or outright killed and/or destroyed, such as by a Disintegrate spell), its phylactery heart re-manifests the body in 1d4 days at full hit points. To destroy the Forlorn Memento, its phylactery must be destroyed. The phylactery is a silver box containing unholy texts. It is a tiny magically-protected object with AC 10, Hardness 10 and 20 HP. As an object, it takes half damage from ranged attacks. If the heart is destroyed while the body is still above -10 HP, the body disappears immediately.

Psionic Body (Su): The Forlorn Memento's body is a psionic construct controlled by its phylactery heart. It can be dispelled as a psionic power whose manifester level is equal to the Forlorn Memento's HD (DC 23). The phylactery heart can manifest the body as a free action at the beginning of its next round. The body comes back with its previous amount of hit points. While the body is dispelled, the phylactery heart is vulnerable and can be attacked directly (see above). Any effect that durably neutralizes psionic effects (such as a Null psionics field) dispells the body and prevents the heart from manifesting it again as long as it is under the effect. A creature in melee with the Memento may use a slashing weapon to breach the body to expose the phylactery heart to attacks. This works as a sunder attempt, with the body having a hardness of 10. Damage dealt to the body is substracted from the creature's total HP. If at least 15 points of damage are dealt by the sunder attempt, the phylactery heart is exposed and can be attacked directly. If attacked in this way, the phylactery is considered behind cover from the rest of the body and thus gets +4 to AC. It also gains the benefit of the body's deflection bonus to AC, for a total of AC 19. A breach in the body closes whenever the Memento's body gains hit point in any manner, for example thanks to its fast healing.

Psionic Powers: Over the aeons, the Forlorn Memento has acquired uncomparable psionic abilities. Most of its psionic potential is used to maintain its psionic body. However, the Memento can manifest a few psionic powers as a wilder of 8th level, with a reserve of 74 power points. Reducing the body to -10 HP renders the heart incapable of manifesting, as it needs the sum of its power to re-manifest the body. Powers known: 1st - Disable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/disable.htm), Déjà Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm), 2nd - Recall Agony (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/recallAgony.htm), 3rd - Ectoplasmic Cocoon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicCocoon.htm), 4th - Schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm).

Sap Memory (Su): The Forlorn Memento is sustained by the memories of its phylactery's creator as well as the surrounding planar energies. Contact with the Memento's psionic body drains a creature's memories. Any creature hit by its pseudopod attack, hitting the Memento's psionic body with natural weapons or beginning its turn grappling the psionic body must take a DC 21 Will saving throw (the save DC is charisma-based) or take one point of wisdom drain. This is an ability drain that restores 5 HP to the Memento's body for each point of WIS damage dealt. Prepared spellcasters affected by this drain lose one memorized spell, randomly chosen, of the highest level they have available.

Nice. I'm glad I could help with this monster. I might end up using this idea for some type of evolved Gibbering Mouther thingy in the future, if that's okay with you.

WalkingTheShade
2015-11-20, 03:59 AM
Nice. I'm glad I could help with this monster. I might end up using this idea for some type of evolved Gibbering Mouther thingy in the future, if that's okay with you.
Well, sure, feedback and sharing are the reasons I'm posting here.