PDA

View Full Version : Armed unarmed attacks

Heliomance
2015-11-17, 06:44 AM
Are there any ways to channel abilities that work with unarmed strikes (for example, Stunning Fist) through weapons?

Necroticplague
2015-11-17, 06:49 AM
Yes, there are, at least for some things. Ki Focus property for melee.

mabriss lethe
2015-11-17, 06:12 PM
I think there's also a feat in one of the eberron books that lets you stun via a quarterstaff. Though the name escapes me.

Flickerdart
2015-11-17, 06:17 PM
You can swing your familiar by the tail and deliver a touch spell through it.

Deadline
2015-11-17, 06:21 PM
I think there's also a feat in one of the eberron books that lets you stun via a quarterstaff. Though the name escapes me.

I'd be interested in this feat if you can find out what book it's in.

nolongerchaos
2015-11-17, 06:27 PM
I'd be interested in this feat if you can find out what book it's in.

It's Sudden Willow Strike from PGtE. There's also Stunning Master from Secrets of Sarlona that lets Stunning Fist (and other such abilities) be used with all Monk weapons.

Psyren
2015-11-17, 07:10 PM
Yes, there are, at least for some things. Ki Focus property for melee.

Also its big brother, Ki Intensifying.

Another option is Martial Versatility, which lets you apply the effects of various unarmed feats to other weapons in the same weapon group, which for unarmed strike would be Monk, Natural and Close. It requires fighter levels and you have to be human, so this is more of an option for brawlers than monks.

Heliomance
2015-11-18, 03:02 AM
Would Aptitude weapons work for abilities that say they only work for unarmed attacks?

ben-zayb
2015-11-18, 05:15 AM
Would Aptitude weapons work for abilities that say they only work for unarmed attacks?

Aptitude only works on feats, IIRC.

Bronk
2015-11-18, 07:46 AM
Here are a few threads about whether or not you can use monk abilities with various weapons, mostly gauntlets, but with ki straps and scorpion kama getting mentioned as well:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?139404-D-amp-D-3-5-Monks-and-Gauntlets

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?281972-Unarmed-Strike-amp-Gauntlets

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?73459-Monks-and-Gauntlets

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-18, 02:01 PM
a 1 level dip of Maiden of pain from PGtF allows you to channel touch attacks through a whip.

"Lasher (Su): A maiden of pain can use a whip to deliver touch attacks. This ability effectively gives her 15-foot reach with a touch spell or with her pain touch ability. If she desires, she can make a normal attack with the whip when delivering a touch effect, but in this case she must make a successful melee attack rather than a touch attack. A maiden of pain can deliver a touch spell through her whip even against creatures that are normally unaffected by whip attacks."

Stunning master from secrets of sarlona allows you use monk weapons for stunning strikes. This pairs well with any of the following.

Unorthodox Flurry from dragon compendium allows you to treat a light weapon as a special monk weapon.

Whirling steel strike from Eberron Campaign setting allows you to use a longsword as special monk weapon.

Serpent strike from Eberron Campaign setting allows you to use a longspear as a special monk weapon.

Pole master from secrets of sarlona allows you to use any hafted weapon as a special monk weapon

Pole fighter from dragon compendium does the same thing as pole master but doesn't require weapon focus as a pre-req.

Forceful staff style allows you to use a quarterstaff as a stunning weapon.

I tried making a dual handcrossbow monk flurry-master once. (TWF, handcrossbow focus, stunning master, unorthodox flurry) I got killed by a goblin with a spear.

Bronk
2015-11-19, 07:16 AM
After seeing this post in another thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20094017&postcount=19

I checked out the Gauntlets of the Talon from Complete Divine, and it looks like those might be a good option too.

Psyren
2015-11-19, 10:19 AM
Pathfinder also added Ascetic Style to do this. The first feat in the chain lets you use any unarmed feat through your monk weapon (e.g. Stunning Fist or Medusa's Wrath), while the second lets you use any class feature that works with unarmed strikes through your monk weapon (e.g. ki strike or style strikes.) The third lets your weapon damage scale like unarmed strike does.