PDA

View Full Version : Force field vs. Telekinesis

Bluelantern
2007-06-01, 11:15 AM
because of the FF2 new trailer, I have being thinking.

What is exactly the diference between a force field and telekinesi, beside the fact that force field is more stable/static and telekinesis is more unstable and better to move things, I can't see any other diference, specially in a energy-like way. So any comic books explanations for that

ravenkith
2007-06-01, 01:15 PM
A forcefield is purely a defensive mechanism, usually either alwas on or activate on reflex, that prevents damaging effects from reaching whatever is being protected by it.

Telekinesis is the conscious manipulation of your environment through an act of willpower. Supposedly you could use telekinesis to deflect incoming attacks, in effect duplicating the capabilities of a forcefield, but on the whole it is used to move other things around.

Dihan
2007-06-01, 02:46 PM
If you can manipulate force fields, then it would be exactly the same as telekinesis - apart from force field is more physical and telekinesis is psionic.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-01, 08:11 PM
In reference to Sue Storm her force fields are a manifestion of hyperspace as opposed to simply a barrier of energy. It sort of puts it at a level somewhere above typical telekinetics for durablity and is more like what a Green Lantern does then what Jean Grey does. And no closely associated mind reading powers.

Dihan
2007-06-02, 05:32 AM
Sue Storm can generate and manipulate (shape them, control them, etc) force fields. I just call it Telekinesis with different fluff.

TreesOfDeath
2007-06-02, 05:40 AM
A telekentic would have trouble deflecting a very powerful blast or many shots at once, while a force field would hold out

Ranis
2007-06-02, 05:47 AM
Sue can also morph, manipulate, move, and control the force fields.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-02, 05:53 AM
The main differance is application.

Telekinesis occaisonally works by using appendages made of force/ectoplasm.

Sue Storm's force fields are part of her invisability powers since she uses them to bend light or something. Her invisability powers aren't limited to herself since she can confuse her enemies by making their guns invisable.

A force field tends to be larger than what's used in telekinesis.

Most superpowered characters can use their powers in other ways they just have mental blocks that limit them. For example Magneto's powers control the entire electro-magnetic spectrum but he's mostly limited to controlling metal. Occaisonally Marvel uses the idea that all mutants have the same energy manipulating power but just use it differantly but it isn't that popular among writers.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-02, 08:58 AM
Sue Storm can generate and manipulate (shape them, control them, etc) force fields. I just call it Telekinesis with different fluff.

Telekinesis is more direct, Sue can move something but it requires constructing an invisible hand or the like to pick up whatever she wants to move and move it. Telekinesis you simply move it.

Similar but a difference that is notable, Sue would never be able to take say manipulate her own DNA like Rachel Grey has done.

Bluelantern
2007-06-02, 10:13 PM
Telekinesis is more direct, Sue can move something but it requires constructing an invisible hand or the like to pick up whatever she wants to move and move it. Telekinesis you simply move it.

Similar but a difference that is notable, Sue would never be able to take say manipulate her own DNA like Rachel Grey has done.

God, I hate when writter do that with characters, they start with something simple as giving bad luck and BOOM! some crazy dude decides that the power should be reality warping!

Even worst, is storm be able to sense eletrical auras WTF!

Gavin Sage
2007-06-02, 11:25 PM
Well giving bad luck is really only explainable as reality morphing or magic which amounts to the same thing, but seriously Storm can do what now? I saw her using powers in space, but since the same comic had Black Panther beating the Silver Surfer I ignored it as outright idiocy.

(Oh but Rachel has always been about that powerful, when she was the Phoenix she fought Galactus one on one so normal Omega mutant levels are low end for her. Scott and Jean can turn out the most powerful offspring ever.)

J_Muller
2007-06-02, 11:48 PM
With telekinesis it's better to just move yourself out of the way of a projectile, while force fields simply deflect it.

Beleriphon
2007-06-03, 03:01 AM
The way I look at comic book telekinesis and force fields are as follows. A force field creates some kind of physical barrier, while telekinesis moves and object before it can strike. So, if we use Jean and Sue as our examples it might help. Both Jean and Sue can create force fields, although by different methods. Only Jean can use telekinesis. In a defensive effort Jean could throw up a force field and block the attacks, or could physically move the attack.

Bluelantern
2007-06-03, 09:08 AM
Well giving bad luck is really only explainable as reality morphing or magic which amounts to the same thing, but seriously Storm can do what now? I saw her using powers in space, but since the same comic had Black Panther beating the Silver Surfer I ignored it as outright idiocy.

(Oh but Rachel has always been about that powerful, when she was the Phoenix she fought Galactus one on one so normal Omega mutant levels are low end for her. Scott and Jean can turn out the most powerful offspring ever.)

Fixed that for you.

Can we be sure that Rachel and the other one are cyclops kids?

StudlyDuck
2007-06-03, 01:41 PM
Yes, they are. Mr. Sinister has been guiding the development of the Summers family bloodline for generations in order to produce a mutant strong enough to help him defeat Apocalypse. Jean is just the latest in a series of genetically ideal mates.

Bluelantern
2007-06-03, 03:29 PM
Yes, they are. Mr. Sinister has been guiding the development of the Summers family bloodline for generations in order to produce a mutant strong enough to help him defeat Apocalypse. Jean is just the latest in a series of genetically ideal mates.

So he made they fall in love now?

Gavin Sage
2007-06-03, 05:11 PM
Rachel is the daughter of Scott Summers and Jean Grey. She's was not born an orphan or in tube in her reality. Though Sinister manipulation is somewhat overstated, he's been monitoring the Summer's line for generations and Jean is the ideal match with Scott on a genetic level almost garunteed to produce extremely powerful offspring. And so far its 0-3 for Sinister being right. However that isn't to say Sinister is behind the attraction which is natural enough, Cyclops simply has the sexiest mind on the planet. He played on the affection between Jean and Scott with Madlyne Pryor though.

StudlyDuck
2007-06-03, 05:49 PM
Well, the fact that Jean is, as far as genetics are concerned, Cyclops' ideal mate is pretty much coincidence, but it has been cited a few times in the comics. If you believe that anything in comics is ever a coincidence, that is. Any kids Cyclops has are likely to be extremely powerful. Combining his genetics with Jean's apparently pretty much guarantees omega potential.

Blue Paladin
2007-06-05, 11:11 AM
And yet the latest books have Psylocke using her TK to become invisible just like the Invisible Woman...

Just saying.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-05, 01:55 PM
And yet the latest books have Psylocke using her TK to become invisible just like the Invisible Woman...

Just saying.

If she has good enough control over her TK it's not hard to believe.

She just bends the light around her.

Bluelantern
2007-06-05, 02:19 PM

Why not give reality warping to everyone and get over it?

ò.ó seriously, telekinesis to bend light?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-05, 02:25 PM

Yes. Scientists will tell you how easy that is.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-05, 02:34 PM
Why not give reality warping to everyone and get over it?

ò.ó seriously, telekinesis to bend light?

Some people with TK have enough power to strip the electrons off of an atom. Bending light wouldn't be harder to do that that. Hell, she may essentially shape the air into a mirror (more precisely, trillions of mirrors) and move the light around her that way.

Yes. Scientists will tell you how easy that is.

I never said it was easy. But it is doable.

StudlyDuck
2007-06-05, 09:08 PM
Indeed, it can be done. The technology to similarly bend radio waves exists, and the calculations have been done to show how it could be done with the visible spectrum but a working model has yet to be put together. The problem would be, that if you bend the light around yourself like that, you can't be seen, but you can't see anything else outside of the disrupted area either.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-05, 10:28 PM
Well if you did it right you could.

Don't bend the light as it comes towards you, bend the reflections of light that go away from you and the reflections of light around you.

So light bouncing off me is caught and bent in such a way that you don't see it. And I bend the light reflected off of the surrounding objects in such a way that it appears where i am.

Now how a person with a mind that is any less powerful than a super computer can really calculate all of the reflections and respond quick enough is beyond me.

StudlyDuck
2007-06-06, 02:37 PM
Just thinking about the micromanagement involved makes my brain hurt...

Alternatively, you could take those photons bouncing off of you, rearrange them, and send them into the eyes of some guy who wouldn't normally be able to see you at random intervals. Convince the poor schmuck he's going insane.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-06-06, 02:57 PM
Well, therein lies the more simple answer. People with TK are psychic. Most psychics in comics can affect the mind. Simply use that so everyone ignores you when they see you, giving you effective invisibility. Actually, it's significantly better then invisibility since they also wouldn't be capable of hearing you or reacting when you do things.

Teloric
2007-06-06, 03:47 PM
Telekinesis is a power which applies a force to an object. Generally, Telekinesis has no physical form, as it usually manifests as kinetic energy, giving movement to the object in question.

Forcefields, however, tend to have a physical form, such as a barrier, and may or may not be invisible. The controller of a Forcefield (a Forcefielder) cannot manipulate objects directly as a Telekinetic. He or she must use the Forcefield to manipulate objects.

And that's the difference to me. A Telekinetic controls the object he moves. A Forcefielder controls the Forcefield he manifests not the object. Then the Forcefield may be used to control the object.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

StudlyDuck
2007-06-06, 10:57 PM
Well, therein lies the more simple answer. People with TK are psychic. Most psychics in comics can affect the mind. Simply use that so everyone ignores you when they see you, giving you effective invisibility. Actually, it's significantly better then invisibility since they also wouldn't be capable of hearing you or reacting when you do things.

While telekinesis and telepathy are often paired, Psylocke has never possessed both at the same time. She originally had telepathy, but not telekinesis. In more recent years, she has telekinesis, but not telepathy.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-06-07, 07:53 AM
Thus the qualifier "most". I guess Psylocke would need to go with one of these more impossible-due-to-the-limitations-of-the-human-mind plans to be invisible.

Blue Paladin
2007-06-07, 10:00 AM
While telekinesis and telepathy are often paired, Psylocke has never possessed both at the same time. She originally had telepathy, but not telekinesis. In more recent years, she has telekinesis, but not telepathy.Specifically, she traded her telepathy for Jean's telekinesis; this TK got significantly stronger after she came back from the dead (and she got a host of immunities too).

EDIT: Oh and as an aside, telepathy and telekinesis being paired is a rare event in Marvel... Only Jean Grey, Rachel Summers, and Cable/Nate Grey have shown that combination (and it's actually mentioned as such, during the rescue of Rachel Summers). The majority of the world's psychics are one or the other. Or a previously unknown Grey family member :P

Bluelantern
2007-06-07, 10:47 AM
Telekinesis is a power which applies a force to an object. Generally, Telekinesis has no physical form, as it usually manifests as kinetic energy, giving movement to the object in question.

Forcefields, however, tend to have a physical form, such as a barrier, and may or may not be invisible. The controller of a Forcefield (a Forcefielder) cannot manipulate objects directly as a Telekinetic. He or she must use the Forcefield to manipulate objects.

And that's the difference to me. A Telekinetic controls the object he moves. A Forcefielder controls the Forcefield he manifests not the object. Then the Forcefield may be used to control the object.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

thanks! it is really a good definitio specially puting in terms that the object is moved with kinetic energy!

Tallis
2007-06-20, 09:43 PM
Psylocke also had super strength, durability and her mind couldn't be read in her most recent incarnation. Of course she wasn't real either, she was a creation of her brother Jaime. The invisibility didn't necessarily have to be telekinetic.
As far as the difference between TK and force fields: TK moves objects, force fields create objects. There is a lot of overlap in the potential uses of each, just the method of achieving the goals is different.

Oh, Blue Paladin: Professor X has also shown a very limited telekinetic ability in the past. Specifically he was able to use it to move his own body. This ability has not been seen in a long time though, and may be defunct.