PDA

View Full Version : Status of Lien and O-Chul?

Jankmaster98
2015-11-17, 02:47 PM
I've been wondering this ever since Xykon and the rest of team Evil ported towards the final gate. By the time the resistance is crushed and news is related to Hinjo do people think the Paladin duo has reached the final gate? They've certainly had a large head start, though giant only knows what misadventures they've had on the way. Does anybody have any speculation? If they've reached the gate what are they going to do once they've gotten their, and will O-chul's presence trigger the turn of the Monster in the Darkness at a critical point? Thoughts?

2.5 cats
2015-11-17, 03:28 PM
Probably we'll have to wait until Book 7 to find out :smalleek:. My guess is that when we next O-Chul and Lien they'll either be at the gate, is extremely close to it and stymied somehow from the final step. I definitely see O-Chul's friendship with the MItD as a huge ace-in-the-hole for the good guys, which will be decisive in some way. Either it'll help with the climactic battle, or it'll buy time until our heroes arrive.

Man, part of me can't wait to find out :smallsmile: , though by the time we do the story will be nearly over! :smallfrown:

Onyavar
2015-11-17, 05:47 PM
Well, they had several weeks of a head start.

I totally expected O-Chul to be the Southern Pantheon representative on the God's Summit, but since I was wrong and the journey points towards the dwarven lands next, my guess O-Chul's new nickname is going to be Sir-Not-In-This-Book-Either.

Jankmaster98
2015-11-17, 06:29 PM
I kinda think the last page of this book will be a nice splash page of team evil rendered in the new art style with O Chun and Lien watching them fight the monsters that guard the place from a distance. Alternatively it could be them fighting team evil despite their orders or if the giant is really cruel, it would show the results of the Paladins defeated by Xykon.

Talion
2015-11-17, 06:57 PM
Assuming they've stayed on the shark the whole way, and assuming 12 hours of movement per day...

Most sharks travel at around 5 miles an hour (8 km), and, depending on your source, great white sharks can burst up to about 25 miles an hour over short distances. However, we're also talking about a paladin's mount, which, if not innately faster, should at least be more resilient to to exhaustion, so we could probably justify 10 miles an hour as a low estimate.

I don't know off hand how much time has passed, so I'll low ball things and say that it's been two weeks. So:

10 mph x 12 hours per day x 14 days = ~1,680 miles. In terms of perspective, that's about half the distance between London and New York. That's also about 1/20th the way around our world.

Every day we can add to that total gives us about 120 miles, and every week gives us an additional 840 miles. As long as they're able to evade fatigue while riding on the shark, they'll be faster taking it as close to the gate as possible rather than disembarking and walking, in which case they might make it as high as 40 miles per day. They'll also be able to beeline through the water on the most direct route until they hit their disembark point. This is all assuming that 1. They aren't held up too badly by random encounters and 2. don't come across some means that gets them to the gate faster, such as through a teleport or a scroll of windwalking.

HOWEVER, we don't have a proper estimate of how big the OotS world is. Without that vital bit of information, we won't be sure where they're at for any given point until we physically see them again. They could have arrived at the gate, they could be just hitting the northern coasts, or they might still be in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

Plus side: They're probably still alive. O-Chul is practically indestructible.

Aasimar
2015-11-17, 07:31 PM
Both are of relatively high status, as noteworthy and honorable paladins and part of only a handful of survivors from the Sapphire Guard. (only those three, as far as I know actually)

They are also trusted advisors and allies of Lord Hinjo, though likely prevented from holding actual titles by their membership in the Sapphire Guard, they would probably rank behind only Hinjo himself in status among the Azure city survivors.

Keltest
2015-11-17, 07:35 PM
Theyre waiting patiently for the camera to pan to them, playing cards with Xykon and Redcloak.

Jankmaster98
2015-11-17, 11:35 PM
Both are of relatively high status, as noteworthy and honorable paladins and part of only a handful of survivors from the Sapphire Guard. (only those three, as far as I know actually)

They are also trusted advisors and allies of Lord Hinjo, though likely prevented from holding actual titles by their membership in the Sapphire Guard, they would probably rank behind only Hinjo himself in status among the Azure city survivors.

Not quite what I was looking for, but good to consider!

Wildroses
2015-11-18, 12:14 AM
I have a horrible feeling Xykon will kill O'Chul in front of the monster and it will trigger him leaving the shadows to go on a grief stricken rampage. Both are currently heading to the same gate after all. I am presuming that the monsters guarding the tomb will delay both long enough for the Order of the Stick to arrive.

The monster has certainly switched allegiances though. His loyalty is to O'Chul not Xykon or Redcloak now. He intervened to save the Order purely because he recognised them as "O'Chul's friends". It will be interesting to see how he would react if given a direct order to work against O'Chul.

I am assuming the journey of the Paladins was non eventful. Last we saw they were resting on an island in the rain, blissfully in O'Chuls case and crabbily in Liens

Olinser
2015-11-18, 12:59 AM
They're off repopulating the paladin race.

Given Lien's previously stated type of guy she should be seriously hot for O'Chul's rugged manliness and sheer badassery.

Flame of Anor
2015-11-18, 01:18 AM

Given Lien's previously stated type of guy she should be seriously hot for O'Chul's rugged manliness and sheer badassery.

Here's hoping! It'd be nice to see some people being happy together despite the various looming apocalypses.

Jankmaster98
2015-11-18, 01:27 AM
You never know, but I in any case I really wish there was some sort of global map for the OOTS world. Is that in any book the Giant has published, I know that it probably wouldn't have the location of the Azure city refugees on it or Kragor's Gate, but maybe using it we can guesstimate.

137beth
2015-11-18, 01:42 AM

Why does every single female character with more than two class levels have to be "shipped" with male characters by the forum:smallannoyed:
I was so relived to see that this thread wasn't a generic "these characters should be in a romantic and/or sexual relationship" thread. Don't turn it in to one, please!

Olinser
2015-11-18, 01:50 AM
Why does every single female character with more than two class levels have to be "shipped" with male characters by the forum:smallannoyed:
I was so relived to see that this thread wasn't a generic "these characters should be in a romantic and/or sexual relationship" thread. Don't turn it in to one, please!

The joke -------------------------------------------------->

.....................................Your head.

Jankmaster98
2015-11-18, 02:02 AM
Try to have a little fun and there's always that one person...

Anyway, until the Giant says anything I'm gonna assume both groups that are supposed to be at the gate (paladins, team evil) are being held up by either complications along the way or by the monsters at the gate.

As for the fate of O-Chul, I suspect his fate will be like Keldorn's from Baldurs' Gate 2, anyone who knows that epilogue will get what I mean, but for those that don't.

Keldorn Firecam thought his travels with <CHARNAME> marked the end of his active career, both as an adventurer and in service to the Order. He retired to Athkatla, hoping to live in as much peace as an old warrior can expect, but the call to serve came one last time. It was years later, and Amn was besieged by giants. In his 60th winter, Keldorn and five knights held a strategic pass until the main Amnish force could arrive. He won the day, but his wounds were severe and the old paladin fell on the battlefield. As his knights watched, the hand of Torm descended upon the scene, and when it departed, Keldorn was gone. From that day, visions of the True God were accompanied by the stalwart ghostly form of Keldorn at his right hand

Just replace Torm with the twelve gods and whatever small details about how it happens and you have what I think might happen to O-Chul in the end.

xroads
2015-11-18, 02:48 PM
I've been wondering this ever since Xykon and the rest of team Evil ported towards the final gate. By the time the resistance is crushed and news is related to Hinjo do people think the Paladin duo has reached the final gate? They've certainly had a large head start, though giant only knows what misadventures they've had on the way. Does anybody have any speculation? If they've reached the gate what are they going to do once they've gotten their, and will O-chul's presence trigger the turn of the Monster in the Darkness at a critical point? Thoughts?

I suspect they have some means to keep in touch with Lord Hinjo (Wand of Messaging?). In which case, if they haven't made contact with Lord Hinjo in awhile, he would suspect something was wrong and have informed the OotS. Since Lord Hinjo hasn't, I think they are still alive and probably relatively fine.

Beyond that, I don't have any real speculations other than O'Chul's friendship with MitD playing some role in the upcoming battle for Kragor's Gate.

StLordeth
2015-11-18, 03:25 PM
I'm sure they'll make an appearance in this book. As someone previously said, probably just keeping an eye on Xykon and RC's progress. They are two high level paladins (13-15 at this point, no?)

137ben Don't be like that. People like pairing off characters they enjoy in any story. There's generally far more male characters than female.