PDA

View Full Version : Favorite music

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 11:15 AM
I like micheal jackson and REM:smallsmile:
Who do you like?

Dr._Weird
2007-06-01, 11:16 AM
Lately I've been really into Rammstein and Oomph!. There's just something about the german language, I love it.

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 11:19 AM
Lately I've been really into Rammstein and Oomph!. There's just something about the german language, I love it.

Cant say I've herd of them before:smallconfused:

Dr._Weird
2007-06-01, 11:27 AM
Oh, here's a couple examples. They're both excellent bands.

Rammstein (http://radioblogclub.com/open/92086/adios_rammstein/%5B10%5D%20rammstein%20-%20adios)
Oomph! (http://radioblogclub.com/open/52737/der_strom/Oomph%21%20-%20Der%20Strom)

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 11:37 AM
Oh, here's a couple examples. They're both excellent bands.

Rammstein (http://radioblogclub.com/open/92086/adios_rammstein/%5B10%5D%20rammstein%20-%20adios)
Oomph! (http://radioblogclub.com/open/52737/der_strom/Oomph%21%20-%20Der%20Strom)

For a seccond there,I thought that said excellent BARDS:smallsmile:
But thats pritty cool! I liked that fast talking!

psychoduck14
2007-06-01, 02:17 PM
The clash, The Dead Milkmen, The Nekromantiks, The Horror Pops, The Ramones, The Misfits, and whole lot more that i cant even hope to list here...

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=psychoduck14;2683820]The Dead Milkmen QUOTE]

"BUT WHAT THEY DONT KNOW,IS WHAT THE QUIERS,ARE DOING,TO THE SOIL!!":smallsmile:Those Dead Milkmen?

psychoduck14
2007-06-01, 02:49 PM
"And they found his head over by the snow cone stand!"

Yep those Dead Milkmen.

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 03:02 PM

Yep those Dead Milkmen.

what song is that anyway:smallconfused:

psychoduck14
2007-06-01, 03:09 PM
um...I like you Stuart? not really shure what the name is...

EDIT: the name is...DUNDUNDUN!!! Stuart!

You know what, Stuart, I LIKE YOU. You're not like the other
people, here, in the trailer park.

Oh, don't go get me wrong. They're fine people, they're
good Americans. But they're content to sit back, maybe
watch a little Mork and Mindy on channel 57, maybe kick
back a cool, Coors 16-ouncer. They're good, fine people,
Stuart. But they don't know ... what the queers are doing
to the soil!

You know that Jonny Wurster kid, the kid that delivers papers
in the neighborhood. He's a foreign kid. Some of the neighbors
say he smokes crack, but I don't believe it.

Anyway, for his tenth birthday, all he wanted was a Burrow Owl.
Kept bugging his old man. "Dad, get me a burrow owl. I'll never
ask for anything else as long as I live." So the guy
breaks down and buys him a burrow owl.

Anyway, 10:30, the other night, I go out in my yard, and there's
the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree. I say, "What are
you looking for?" He says "I'm looking for my burrow owl."
I say, "Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick. Everybody knows
the burrow owl lives. In a hole. In the ground. Why the hell do you
think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?" Now Stuart, do you
think a kid like that is going to know what the queers are
doing to the soil?

I first became aware of this about ten years ago, the summer
my oldest boy, Bill Jr. died. You know that carnival comes into
town every year? Well this year they came through with a ride
called The Mixer. The man said, "Keep your head, and arms, inside
the Mixer at all times." But Bill Jr, he was a DAAAREDEVIL, just
like his old man. He was leaning out saying "Hey everybody,
Look at me! Look at me!" Pow! He was decapitated! They found
his head over by the snow cone concession.

A few days after that, I open up the mail. And there's a pamphlet
in there. From Pueblo, Colorado, and it's addressed to Bill, Jr.
And it's entitled, "Do you know what the queers are doing to our
soil?"

Now, Stuart, if you look at the soil around any large US city,
there's a big undeground homosexual population. Des Moines, Iowa,
for an example. Look at the soil around Des Moines, Stuart.
You can't build on it; you can't grow anything in it. The government
says it's due to poor farming. But I know what's really going on,
Stuart. I know it's the queers. They're in it with the aliens.
They're building landing strips for gay Martians, I swear to
God.

You know what, Stuart, I like you. You're not like the other
people, here in this trailer park.

Mr Horse
2007-06-01, 03:11 PM
i've been listening to a lot of breakcore, digital hardcore and drum n bass lately (stuff like Bong-Ra, Squarepusher, Hypnoskull, Iszoloscope, The Bug, Schizoid, Cyanotic, Curse of the Golden Vampire, Elekore, Evol Intent, Noisia and Skynet), as well as hardcore/grind/math stuff (like Ion Dissonance, The End, The Berzerker and old Pain Killer) and power electronics, noise & drone (Whitehouse, Wolf Eyes, Law-Rah Collective, Haus Arafna etc).
Also some hip hop (Mad EP, Shadow Huntaz and Dälek), minimal and electro (Drop The Lime, Swayzak, Miss Kittin, Hanin Elias and Pzychobitch).

Also been listening to a lot of minimal drone/noise rock/metal like Jesu, Final and Old Man Gloom lately...

And of course, I can't go long without some old school industrial like Skinny Puppy, Test Dept., Einstürzende Neubauten and Coil either...

Hm. I listen to a lot of different music, don't I. :P

PS. I also really like Justin Timberlake, They Might Be Giants, Placebo and Manic Street Preachers :P

Setra
2007-06-01, 03:32 PM
Nightwish, Dragonforce, Sum 41, Nickelback, Rhapsody of Fire, Offspring

Stuff like that.

ravenkith
2007-06-01, 03:49 PM
Rock and roll and the 80s, my brethren.

Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Aha....

Just don't play Boy george. You wouldn't like me when they play boy george.

smellie_hippie
2007-06-01, 03:51 PM
Favorite music today...

Phish. Zeppelin. SRV. Portishead. White Stripes.

Currently in search of...

Jump Little Children. Mogwai. (replacement)Smashing Pumpkins.

zeratul
2007-06-01, 04:28 PM

Listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETL7hFxoZ3I), very funny Ramstein parody.

Dragor
2007-06-01, 04:40 PM
At the moment.... Blind Guardian, DragonForce, Trivium,, Led Zeppelin.

Stuff like that.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-01, 04:50 PM
Listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETL7hFxoZ3I), very funny Ramstein parody.

Heh, nice. I'm glad at this point that I know what the majority of the lyrics mean- it makes popular songs like Mein Teil ridiculous.

Amotis
2007-06-01, 04:54 PM
Mogwai.

If I may recommend some of their stuff;

Short rock song epic stuff; Mr. Beast, Rock Action

Introspective, ambiance-y; Happy Songs For Happy People, Come On Die Young

Good general Mogwai: Young Team, Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996-2003, Mogwai EP

Soundtrack-y, equally awesome stuff: Zidane and The Fountain.

*thumbs up*

Mar-Vell
2007-06-01, 04:55 PM
I'd have to say System of a Down is my favorite band. I listen to anything that sounds good.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-01, 05:04 PM
Please tell me you're not talking about Mezmerize and Hypnotize. Please.

Hoggy
2007-06-01, 05:05 PM
Metallica and Emperor.

Of course, there's so many other bands I love, but to make an entire list would be too long. These are just the two I love the most.

Dihan
2007-06-01, 05:10 PM
I like Within Temptation, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody of Fire, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish. I also like a bit of Billy Talent, Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, and Children of Bodom.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-01, 05:13 PM
I prefer the regular Hard Rock

My fav bands are System of a Down and Yellowcard

Fav song, Counting 5-4-3-2-1 by Thursday. The band sux, but tis the best song in the universe!

tahu88810
2007-06-01, 06:39 PM
I like Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, MCR, Tool, and Good Charlotte.
Those are pretty much the bands that I mostly listen to.

Ceres
2007-06-01, 07:07 PM
The Go! team are good. The Coral, Razorlight and Pizzicato Five have many good songs. Belle and Sebastian are great. Hot Hot Heat, Minor Majority, The Answer, the list goes on... I also enjoy some oldies like The Beatles and The Kinks. And why am I posting this, I wonder?

squidthingy
2007-06-01, 07:42 PM
Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, and AFI(old, not any of the new emo stuff)

Don Beegles
2007-06-01, 07:51 PM
In descending order of awesome - Queen, Billy Joel, They Might Be Giants, The Grateful Dead, Journey, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Three Dog Night, Pink Floyd, and anything instrumental that's good, particularly Debussy - are my top ten favorites.

In very cool, but potentially depressing news, TMBG is giving a free concert at a venue fairly close to me in July. Unfortunately, that's also a day for a performance for a show I'm part of. Now, I'm not going to be doing much, but I'd feel bad skipping, especially since I'm rather confident that I'm going to be elected president of the Theatre Company at my school, and it's the same director. I can not decide what I should do, and it's killing me.

The UnderKing
2007-06-01, 09:19 PM
I like lots of Bands. LOTS!!! But the ones at the top of the list are NIN, Rage Againist the Machine, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles, Garbage, S.O.A.D, The White Stripes, Metallica, and KMFDM.

geek_2049
2007-06-02, 06:21 AM

Yep those Dead Milkmen.

"If you love somebody why not set them on fire?"

I have been trying to play Led Zep on the guitar.

I have been listening to a bunch of indie rock lately though.

Check out Rodrigo Y Gabriela and Beatalica.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-02, 06:32 AM
(Edited by me) NIN, Rage Againist the Machine, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beatles, S.O.A.D,

You have good taste. I salute you.

Jack Squat
2007-06-02, 09:10 AM
Just about anything, except "gangsta" rap and most country.

B-Man
2007-06-02, 11:52 AM
Favourite Genre: Metal (and nearly all it's sub-genres) and some 'Alternative' stuff.

Favourite Bands: Apocalyptica, Blind Guardian, Corrosion of Conformity, Demons and Wizards, Dream Theater, Drowning Pool, Iced Earth, Liquid Tension Experiment, Mastodon, Megadeth, Metallica, Rhapsody (of Fire), Secret Machines, Skyfire, Static-X, and I'm fairly sure a couple (hundred) more...

Apex
2007-06-03, 08:14 AM

Rammstein has been my favourite band since I started actively listening to music. Oomph... I've heard Mein Traum and some others, Mein Traum was kinda ok, I didn't care for the others. If you're a fan of hard German lyrics, maybe check out Eisbrecher :) . A bit electronicy, but some catchy songs. Not as hard as Rammstein though...(and personally I prefer Rammstein)

Also, this year I discovered Apocalyptica. There are some beautiful songs from them.

Thes Hunter
2007-06-03, 01:21 PM
Here are a couple songs that are my favorites... maybe because I can dedicate them in love to my dearest Troggie.

Nick Cave - Into my Arms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLTjXfNMYg)

Nick Cave - Straight to You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaz_2ayVZBg&mode=related&search=)

The Ship Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nymj-e43arg)

Dr._Weird
2007-06-03, 01:30 PM
Oomph... I've heard Mein Traum and some others, Mein Traum was kinda ok, I didn't care for the others.

I haven't heard Mein Traum. Know which album it's on? I onlyhave Glaubeliebetod and Warheit oder Pflicht.

I gather that their earlier stuff is harder and more angry. Not really the reason I listen to metal.

God_of_Luck
2007-06-03, 02:36 PM
Metal, specially Trash(Kreator, Megadeth, Testament), Dio, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Ceska
2007-06-03, 03:11 PM
Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock and Medieval Rock for me. In Metal, I like mainly Melodic Death and Thrash, with some Black and Classic Metal thrown in. I also like some Symphonic Metal bands, but really not that many, and the style can be annoying to me, just as Speed Metal. By the way, the genre has far too many sub-genres to ever make sense.

Hard Rock can be anything from Classical Hard Rock to the more borderline Metal and the more Alternative Rock bands. Simply put, anything a bit harder.

Progressive is another one I really like. Here the emphasis is on a different point. Just as I usually like fast forward hard and dirty songs, here I really like softer tones, but with a bit of complexity. It's simply a different thing I'm searching for here, which is great, since it means you get two different genres for two different moods. I also really love Progressive Metal.

Medieval Rock is one of those things I'm not into that long. Mainly because nobody in my area really listened to it and I came into contact fairly late. Still, as I both love the time, the themes, which aren't all that often medieval, and the instruments, and think they can both blend together very well, this is a really great genre to me. I always liked some more exotic sounds in what I listened to, and this simply worked on me again when I listened to it. There's also a rather big German scene with good musicians, which uses my mother tongue in a good way, rather than other bands.

And then there's Punk. There's only a few Punk bands I actually like, but those I really do. I don't know, there's something in Punk, the dirtiness of the sound I think, that really makes me like it.

Dr. Weird: I would suggest to listen to some German Medieval Metal. There's really good texts and good use of the German language. I kinda like Oomph!, or to be fair, I like some of their songs, and I really like Rammstein once, but they both don't seem to me the highest in regards of lyrics.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-06-03, 03:28 PM
Well, mine is Rock.

I have very differing tastes in Rock, and a few of my favorite bands are (in no particular order):

The Beatles, Billy Joel, Blind Guardian, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Lynrd Skynrd, (AND THIS BIRD YOU CANNOT CHANGE!), Devo, The Ramones, Wolfmother, and Black Sabbath.

Manal
2007-06-10, 07:39 AM
I like metle and Rock

Neon Knight
2007-06-10, 08:24 AM
Favorite Bands: AC/DC, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Three Dog Night, The Beatles, They Might Be Giants.

Nomrom
2007-06-10, 12:56 PM
I like progressive metal and classic rock the best. What I've been listening to recently isKamelot (Ghost Opera ftw), Avantasia, Sonata Arctica, and Rhapsody of Fire.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-06-10, 01:08 PM
I mostly listen to country and classic rock, with a little bit of just about everything else from time to time.

Glaivemaster
2007-06-10, 01:18 PM
Depends. Most of the time, metal in various forms. I went through a Led Zeppelin, Guns 'n' Roses etc. thing recently, and at the moment I just like listening to generally amusing bands

Current favourite artists:
Arrogant Worms
Stephen Lynch

Gaelbert
2007-06-11, 12:59 AM
I like Flogging Molly, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Dragonforce, Blink-182, Dropkick Murphys, Kansas, U2, Styx, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Pink Floyd, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, MC Hammer, Iron Maiden, and Rammstein. There are others but these are some of the best.

Rykaj
2007-06-11, 04:17 AM
According to last.fm, which has been tracking my musical tastes for about 2.5 years now my favorite bands are:

The Tea Party
Depeche Mode
The Faint
Yonderboi
Muse
Stabbing Westward
The Cure
Opgezwolle
Madrugada
Led Zeppelin

Sounds just about right :smallcool:

Emperor Ing
2007-06-11, 04:28 AM
OMG ive only heard of 2 of ur bands! :smalleek:

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-11, 05:46 PM
http://kevan.org/brain Here ya go:smallbiggrin:

BDO
2007-06-11, 06:01 PM
Heh, nice. I'm glad at this point that I know what the majority of the lyrics mean- it makes popular songs like Mein Teil ridiculous.

Yeah, with Rammstein, lyrics ARE important. Also remeber: They may look serious, but no one in Germany really thinks they are serious anymore... As for not understanding the lyrics... watch this: http://www.youtube.com/v/EO6d-5iivaM

Note about Rammstein: Lately, I don't listen to them anymore, their live shows tend to ride on the "right wing" thematics, as do their interviews. It's all fake, but it leaves a bad taste listening to a german band promoting themselves in the whole world (but not Germany) as a group of anti-liberal, nationalist-thinking musicians...

My state of music hasn't changed for ages... It's a lot of Queen, Led Zeppelin, Blind Guardian, Manowar, Kiss, Subway to Sally (You should listen to this, Dr.Weird, especially the early albums...), ...

EDIT: copy/paste coolgaelbert's list and add some german bands... nice choice, man!

EDITEDIT: Add Vespe's and Nomrom's list, too... Hey, there might be more people than just me out there that are listening to good music...

Accolon
2007-06-21, 12:52 AM
Springsteen. Cut and Dry. I even made my wife a Springsteen nut.

If there were anyone else close it would be Mellencamp, Petty, and Dylan. Because I am writer, I generally like story tellers, (like you couldn't tell). I like a lot of Celtic stuff, I also dig the Wallflowers, David Grey, the Gin Blossoms (when they were a band and the same goes for the Refreshments). I mean, there's a lot of stuff that I listen to, including Sheryl Crow, Jewel, Chris Isaak, Sam Cooke, Ben E. King, Southside Johnny, AC/DC, Pearl Jam, but when it all comes down to it, it's Bruce. Springsteen, cut and dry.

Eauldure
2007-06-23, 06:43 PM
ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Queen, Inkubus Sukkubus, Avenged Sevenfold, Genitorturers, Chiasm, Rammstein, Afi, Rob Zombie, White Zombie, MJ, Him, Funeral for a friend, The Doors, Scorpions, Wilki, Perfekt, G'n'R and a couple others.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-06-23, 07:52 PM
the Gin Blossoms (when they were a band and the same goes for the Refreshments).

The Gin Blossoms recently got back together and released a new album, which sounds pretty good.

Tiben
2007-06-23, 09:25 PM
Bow befor the Jazz-Rock magisty of Supertramp

Nomrom
2007-06-24, 02:51 AM
Add Vespe's and Nomrom's list, too... Hey, there might be more people than just me out there that are listening to good music...

Wow. No one ever tells me I listen to good music. I only know one or two people with musical tastes similar to mine. Most people think I'm crazy for listening to the music I listen too.

karmuno
2007-06-25, 10:49 PM
The main thing I look for in a band is passion on the part of (mostly) the singer. If they wear their emotions on their sleeves (and not only pretend to, as is the case with many bands in today's "emo" craze and similar genres) I probably like them.

Having said that, my favorite band is the Beatles, because in their career that hadn't put out a single bad album. Also, the roots of practically all modern rock can be traced back to the Beatles. Prog rock, metal, grunge, it's all there in some form (this is not to say they didn't have earlier influences).

Second to the Beatles are the Who, who, together with the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, set the standard for the next thirty years of hard rock (how many people destroy their instruments onstage and put on rock operas now?).

Then there are my two favorite prog rock bands, tied for third: Yes and Pink Floyd. The Floyd were just enormous, and Roger Waters, even though his voice technically sucks, pulls at my heartstrings. Yes's frontman, Jon Anderson, is, IMO, the greatest vocalist to grace recorded media. If you need proof, just check out anything from Close to the Edge.

After these bands, my next favorite genre is grunge/alternative rock. Pearl Jam is my favorite of these bands, although I've been listening to Smashing Pumpkins almost exclusively these days (Zeitgeist comes out 7/10!). Both these bands' frontmen (Vedder and Corgan, respectively) have very unique voices that can express any emotion beautifully.

And then, in no particular order, there's: The Police, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Keane (they've got HUGE potential, IMO), Creed, Alter Bridge, R.E.M, Springsteen, Coldplay, Premiata Forneria Marconi (Italian prog rock FTW), DragonForce, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Phish, The Cure, King Crimson, Green Day, Nickel Creek, Tenacious D, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Electric Light Orchestra, The Traveling Wilburys, The Ramones, U2, Queen, Lui Collins, etc...

Of course, all of these bands pale in comparison to Stephen and the Colberts :smallcool:

Lucky
2007-06-25, 10:56 PM
Favourite Genre: Metal (and nearly all it's sub-genres) and some 'Alternative' stuff.

Favourite Bands: Apocalyptica, Blind Guardian, Corrosion of Conformity, Demons and Wizards, Dream Theater, Drowning Pool, Iced Earth, Liquid Tension Experiment, Mastodon, Megadeth, Metallica, Rhapsody (of Fire), Secret Machines, Skyfire, Static-X, and I'm fairly sure a couple (hundred) more...This man, for the most part, speaks for me. Throw in some punk rock, i.e. Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, Bouncing Souls, Minor Threat, blah blah blah blah blah, and you have my music taste.

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-26, 03:44 AM
Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock and Medieval Rock for me. In Metal, I like mainly Melodic Death and Thrash, with some Black and Classic Metal thrown in. I also like some Symphonic Metal bands, but really not that many, and the style can be annoying to me, just as Speed Metal. By the way, the genre has far too many sub-genres to ever make sense.

Heh. Welcome to music. Just be glad you're not into electronic music, it's even more overloaded as far as subgenres go.

I'm mostly into metal. I can appreciate bands from most every direction of the genre, though I don't tend to like a lot of black and gothic metal, and tend to favor power, traditional heavy and technical thrash and death metal above all. My favorite bands being Iron Maiden, Virgin Steele, Manilla Road, Blind Guardian, Metal Church, Atheist, Cynic, Mekong Delta, Crimson Glory, Hammerfall, BLAZE, Judas Priest (especially for their mid to late 70s work) and Death. I have a soft spot for 70s borderline-metal hard and prog rock like Rush and Deep Purple, and I've been getting into some mellower stuff lately though, some of Ark's material, Portal and Gordian Knot, and craving for more of these relaxing types of music. Also considering checking out Mahavishnu Orchestra as I know they're a huge influence on one of my favorite bands, and the one song I heard from them I really like.

Miklus
2007-06-26, 05:41 AM

Something like this? WARNING...not for the easily offended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8t5tvy8pX0

And that right there was the best music to ever be made in Denmark...:smallamused:

Semidi
2007-06-27, 01:20 PM
This'd be my Itunes folder, it’s most of what I listen to daily, though it's not all my favorite. Some of it I have at least 50-100 songs and others, perhaps one song that I thought was catchy (cough Dead or Alive, Mudvayne, Thin Lizzy). As you can see I have my bases covered with classic rock, some pop(granted most of the pop I like isn't very 'pop'ular any longer), metal, industrial, electronic stuff, and old school gothic rock.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/2991/musicrt4.th.jpg (http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=musicrt4.jpg)

My favorites on the list are: Iron Maiden, Tool, Bauhaus, Skinny Puppy, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Genitorturers, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Siouxsi & Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Led Zeppelin, and The Cure. I currently am addicted to The Prodigy, Killing Joke, and The Smiths.

Quite honestly, I didn’t think this thread had enough Industrial or Gothy Rock. Oh and I can't stand sub-genres--only one you'll catch me using is seperating classic rock, contemporary stuff, and gothy rock.