PDA

View Full Version : [5e, Lvl 6, Solo, Arena] Zman's Arena -Treorri Cadallion

Zman
2015-11-17, 03:58 PM
Zman's Arena- Treorri Cadallionn

As you stand at the end of the small dark hallway you can see the Arena before you through the grated door. The booming voice of an announcer can be heard, "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages! Today, Treorri Cadallion tries his mettle in the Arena!!!" A wave of cheers meets his thunderous booming voice...

A horn sounds, the gate opens, and you step foot into the Arena. It is a solid thirty paces square with an open roof, cheering fans can be seen beyond the walls, so can the armed guards that would prevent any combatant from attempting to flee the arena. In each of the cardinal directions lie elevated platforms, stairs leading up to them. Each adorned with a pair of sinister grotesque stone guardian, their palms upheld filled with fire. To the northwest lies a tall platform, to the northwest a patch of broken ground only the surest footed would dare tread, to the southwest, huge stone pillars rising towards the sky, to the southeast another stone platform rises from the ground, and in the center is a small raised platform with a pedestal in its center. You know by pressing down upon the pedestal you will summon for the first wave....

You faintly hear the booming voice wishing you farewell, "For fame and glory! Be bold champion!!"

Round 1
HP 53/53
2Spell Slots

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ug3Mp4NuhGgaPHKbxt2etQktJaeSS6DbsUq9vNXfcZU/edit?usp=sharing

If you have OOC questions ask them in a spoiler in thread.

You are up!

2015-11-17, 04:03 PM
Knowing he was being timed, Treorri wasted no time making his way to the center pillar. "For the glory of Fierna," he whispered under his breath, hoping his patron would send him the strength to conquer this place.

Dashing forward towards the center pillar.

Zman
2015-11-17, 04:06 PM
As Treorri dashes forward he gets the eerie feeling as if the gorstesque statues are watching him... but nothing happens...

Round 1 Move/Dash to N17

Round 2 is up!

2015-11-17, 04:14 PM
"Let them come!" Treorri cried as he ran to the center pillar and triggered it.

Investigation on the statues. Other than that, moving towards the center pillar and activating it.

Investigation: [roll0]

Zman
2015-11-17, 04:20 PM
Treorri takes a longer look at the statues as he moves forward finding absolutely nothing of note about them, must have been the nerves.

As soon as Treorri touches the pedestel he can hear four of the surrounding doors snap open... one door to the north, one to the south, one to the east, and one to the west all spring open, instantly the smell of rotting putrid flesh fills his nostrils....

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]

Still Round 2, you've Used your move and your free item activation. Your initiative is before the Zombies.

2015-11-17, 04:30 PM
Glancing around the arena, Treorri spotted an enemy and sent a couple of blasts in their direction, hoping that his enemies armor was less than adequate.

Treorri casts "Eldritch Blast" on EDIT: the western zombie, due to them being closest.

Attack A: [roll0]
Damage A: [roll1] (+[roll2] if attack critted)
Attack B: [roll3]
Damage B: [roll4] (+[roll5] if attack critted)

Zman
2015-11-17, 04:37 PM
The rotting putrid corpses caught Treorri off guard, his first blast of crackling energy missed, his second barely managed to catch the Zombie that entered the arena from the Western Gate.

The Zombies begin to shamble towards Treorri...

Everything is in the map, I redid the link to make sure I didn't mess it up. Your first hit is a miss, the second his a hit to Z1.

Zombies move forward, see map.

I have a beginning of round post to make next. Then you are up again.

Zman
2015-11-17, 04:38 PM
Again that eerie feeling settles over the Arena....

[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Zman
2015-11-17, 04:39 PM
The two southern statues seem to momentarily come to alive hurling fistfulls of flame at Treorri... luckily both bursts of flame sore past Treorri barely making the air around him warmer...

[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]

Round 3
Treorri is up, then the Zombies!

2015-11-17, 04:54 PM
Focusing his patron's wrath on the northern zombie, Treorri hurled two beams of energy that direction before heading towards the broken ground, hoping he could trip up these monsters and take advantage of their clumsiness and lack of ranged options.

Bonus Action: "Hex" on northern zombie (disadvantage on Dexterity checks, +1d6 necrotic damage against them)

Action: "Eldritch Blast" on northern zombie.

Attack A: [roll0]
Damage A: [roll1] force + [roll2] necrotic (+[roll3] force + [roll4] necrotic on a crit)
Attack A: [roll5]
Damage A: [roll6] force + [roll7] necrotic (+[roll8] force + [roll9] necrotic on a crit)

For every attack that hits, the northern zombie is pushed back 10 ft, no save, no check.

Move: Moves to W11 (I think), makes an Acrobatics check.

Acrobatics: [roll10]

Zman
2015-11-17, 05:05 PM
Treorri's manages to land to punishing blows of eldritch energy on the northern zombie, each burst of energy knocking it further and further back... the blows enough to fell a normal creature.... and prove to be strong enough to shatter the undead's constitution.

The furthest he can move with speed 30 is U14 the second and every other diagonal of movement is 10' as per Grid combat.

Both hit and drive the Z2 Backwards.

Both are hits though.

So that is 1 of 2 spell slots used?

[roll0] DC18, Zombie is Dead. Gain 8? Temp HP?

Zman
2015-11-17, 05:09 PM
The remaining three zombies shamble forward surrounding Treorri raking at him when they can...

Z1 Move/Dash
Z2 Dead
Z3 [roll0] If Advantage [roll1] Damage [roll2] If Critical[roll3]
Z4 Move/Dash

Zman
2015-11-17, 05:11 PM
... and one of the Zombie's attacks nearly finds Treorri's neck, putting him on the defensive and testing his concentration... but fails to shake it.

Faintly in the background you hear the crowd gasp, thinking our fine gladiator may have found his end...

Takes a Crit, 8HP, So that takes care of the Temp HP,

Concentration [roll0] DC10

Zman
2015-11-17, 05:13 PM
.... the statues are silent...

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

You are up in Round 4

2015-11-17, 05:17 PM
Treorri skips back into the broken area away from the zombies arms. Let's seem them follow him now...

For future reference, my speed is 30 not 20, and I have advantage on Concentration checks from Warcaster; also, I thought they changed grid combat away from that particular thing, but I could be remembering wrong. Anyway...should I make my Acrobatics check now, or can I use the previous one? I'll make a new one to be safe.

Action: Disengage, moving towards the center of the broken area.

[roll0]

Zman
2015-11-17, 05:25 PM
Treorri begins to lose his balance having difficulty keeping his footing... shockingly the Zombies do not share the difficulty and they shamble after him....

Yes, new Acrobatics check every round.
I did count it as speed 30, just a typo.
Forgot about Advantage Concentration Checks, that is just nasty.
It is listed in DMG as an optional rule for grid combat I believe, it is the most accurate way to use a Grid so IMO its a nobrainer. Should anote the main post.

Zombies move, no attacks as difficult broken ground costs double movement.

Acrobatic Checks for Zombie... [roll0]

Zman
2015-11-17, 05:28 PM
..... and the statues remain silent...

Round 5 [roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

You are up

2015-11-17, 06:04 PM
Attempting to regain his footing, Treorri makes his way to the center of the broken area while firing two more blasts at his new target, the eastern zombie.

Move: To center, with Acrobatics check.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Bonus Action: Shifting "Hex" target to Eastern Zombie, which now has disadvantage on Dexterity ability checks.

Action: "Eldritch Blast" on Eastern Zombie.

Attack A: [roll1] (and [roll2] if I've got advantage)
Damage A: [roll3] force + [roll4] necrotic (+[roll5] force + [roll6] necrotic on a crit)
Attack B: [roll7] (and [roll8] if I've got advantage)
Damage B: [roll9] force + [roll10] necrotic (+[roll11] force + [roll12] necrotic on a crit)

As before, they're pushed back 10 ft if it hits.

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:06 PM
Can you please specify which square you would like him to move to. Also, this will generate AoOs if you are moving out of their melee range.

2015-11-17, 06:10 PM
Can you please specify which square you would like him to move to. Also, this will generate AoOs if you are moving out of their melee range.

For simplicities sake, always away from me. Didn't realize the broken ground was difficult terrain. Oh well, just do the AoOs, I'll keep it in mind in the future.

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:15 PM
Treorri makes a dash for the edge of the broken terrain doing his best to avoid the raking claws of the Zombies...

Once free he sends two blasts at the Zombie, sending it hurtling away from him and testing its undead consistution... but against the undead are no match for the might of Treorri's arcane energies...

How does this look??

Con Save [roll0] vs DC 17
Z1 is dead. Gain 8 Temp HP

Edit: if this is ok I'll proceed to the Zombie's half of the turn.

2015-11-17, 06:17 PM
Looks good to me.

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:18 PM
Treorri manages to escape the claws and disgusting bites of the undead...

Zombie AoOs before Z1 Died

[roll0] Damage[roll1]Damage[roll2]
[roll3]Damage[roll4]Damage[roll5]
[roll6]Damage[roll7]Damage[roll8]

Zombies will be up...

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:20 PM
The Zombies attempt to pursue on their uncertain footing... neither fall, but both seem to be having difficulty standing and neither was able to land a deft blow that wasn't easitly avoided by Treorri...

Dex and To Hits[roll0]
Damage[roll1]Damage[roll2]
Damage[roll3]Damage[roll4]

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:22 PM
Again there is silence from the Statues...

Beginning of Round 6

You are up!

2015-11-17, 06:29 PM
Shifting his focus to the southern zombie, Treorri backed up just out of reach before letting loose one blast at each of the remaining zombies.

Bonus Action: shifting Hex to southern zombie.

Move: If I'm next to any zombies, move out of zombies reach, with Acrobatics check (where am I BTW?)

Action: One blast each from EB.

Attack (Western): [roll1] (and [roll2] if advantage)
Damage (Western): [roll3] (+[roll4] if crit)
Attack (Southern): [roll5] (and [roll6] if advantage)
Damage (Southern): [roll7] force + [roll8] necrotic (+[roll9] force + [roll10] necrotic if crit)

Pushed back 10 ft on a hit, straight away from me.

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:38 PM
The map has been updated in detail every round and has all that information.

2015-11-17, 06:42 PM
Awesome, thanks.

Zman
2015-11-17, 06:56 PM
Let know where you move to, and what specific Zombie you are targeting. I probably won't be able to do map updates for the rest of the night due to it being a pain to update the spreadsheet on a tablet.

2015-11-17, 07:00 PM
Moving to Q12, soaking 2 AoOs; first shot on Z3, second shot on Z4.

Zman
2015-11-17, 10:01 PM
As Trorri quickly moves away the Zombies rake at his back... One again manages to get its claws too close for comfort..

After being repelled backwards the zombies shamble forward after their prey.

[roll0][roll1]

9 Damage Crit. Edit: Corrected to 9.

Zombies move up.

Zombies manage flanking position.

Zman
2015-11-17, 10:11 PM
Again the statues spring to life launching bolts of flame at Treorri, barely missing him...

We'll see if the statues do anything.

4 Fire Damage, down to 49/53 h

Then Turn 7!

2015-11-18, 09:33 AM
Treorri attempts to hold his concentration as the blows rock him...

Zombie Attack (DC 10): [roll0] or [roll1], whichever is higher
Statue Attack (DC 10): [roll2] or [roll3], whichever is higher

EDIT: Sigh...can't win when the dice hate me, I guess.

2015-11-18, 09:40 AM
Cursing as his spell fizzles away, Treorri runs away once more, this time just focusing on putting distance between himself and the undead.

Action: Dash away to G16.

Zman
2015-11-18, 10:24 AM
As Trorri flees the zombies shamble after him... And again the statues are silent...

9 damage instead of 8 for critical

Zombies Move/Dash after

Round 8!

2015-11-18, 10:41 AM
How did the zombies catch up to me? They're not that fast.

Zman
2015-11-18, 10:45 AM
Correct, and corrected. My apologies.

2015-11-18, 10:54 AM
Treorri fires another couple of bolts before fleeing once more.

Action: EB, one bolt each.

Attack Z3: [roll0]
Damage Z3: [roll1] (+[roll2] if crit)
Attack Z4: [roll3]
Damage Z4: [roll4] (+[roll5] if crit)

Pushed back on a hit (to M14 and M15, respectively).

Move: E11.

Zman
2015-11-18, 11:02 AM
Treorri's blasts ring true again trying the undead constitutions of the Zombies... and again proving too much for their undead construction. A third Zombie falls. The final remaining Zombie shambles forward...

Zf Con Save vs DC16 [roll0]

Zman
2015-11-18, 11:05 AM
As the final Zombie shambles forward, the statues are again silent...

Round 9!

2015-11-18, 11:28 AM
Treorri sent two more bolts at the zombie, hoping that it would end the last undead.

Action: EB, both bolts on the zombie.

A1: [roll0]
D1: [roll1] (+[roll2] if crit)
A2: [roll3]
D2: [roll4] (+[roll5] if crit)

Move: to F17.

Zman
2015-11-18, 11:37 AM
The Zombie, barely holding itself together closes the gap...

Again the statues spring to life, this time one to the north, one to the west, and one to the east, but thanks to the interposing terrain none of the bolts hit their mark...

Unless you specify otherwise in your posts I'm doing things in order, Attacks then Move.

Round 10!

You are up

2015-11-18, 11:41 AM
Backed into a corner, Treorri resorted to his rapier, whipping it at the zombies head.

Action: Attack with rapier.

Zman
2015-11-18, 11:53 AM
Treorri lands to solid strikes on the Zombie.... and the first one punctures right through the eye socket to its necrotic brain as it crumbles into a corpse once again...

As the last Zombie falls the Arena seems to be at ease and you can more freely hear the crowd... "And the last zombie falls!!!"

Con Saves [roll0]
Lucky, the DCs were 9/10 I believe.

Haha, you never had a Zombie make a single save to stay standing!

Wave 1 has been completed. 10 Rounds 60seconds!

And you still have a move action left. Wave 1 is complete, the Arena is not hostile. You have time to heal, take a 30s breather, etc. Note anything you do counts against your total time for Wave 2.

2015-11-18, 01:03 PM
Treorri makes his way back over to the center pillar, this time wary of the statues.

Move: L17

Zman
2015-11-18, 02:07 PM
Despite his wariness, nothing happens as he begins approaching the pedestal...

Turn 11

2015-11-18, 02:33 PM
Approaching the pillar, Treorri triggered it, ready as ever for the fight to continue.

And he should also have some Temp HP from ending the zombies.

Zman
2015-11-18, 02:44 PM
As Treorri triggers the pedestal once more, a loud ominous grown can be heard coming from the now opened gate... this time is a massive putrit corpse of an Ogre...

[roll0]

You've used 25' of movement, you have 5' left, and your action.
Edit: Yes, he has his max Temp HP at 8.

2015-11-18, 02:59 PM
Stepping back a bit, Treorri prepared his next blast, waiting for this new monster to get much closer before he set off his spell.

Move: Q17

Action: Ready EB. It triggers if he goes moves 30 ft or more from where he started.

Zman
2015-11-18, 03:04 PM
The Ogre begins to lumber forward... and the crackling beams of energy fly... one misses its mark, but the other lands firm... the massive Ogre is knocked back before continueing forward...

[roll0][roll1]
Miss/Hit 10 Damage

I am shocked Repelling blast is so poorly written! RAW it even works on Huge, Colossal, etc.

Zman
2015-11-18, 03:08 PM
The Statues are silent...

Round 12

2015-11-18, 03:16 PM
Treorri backpedals even as he sends two more blasts of energy at the undead monstrosity.

Move: Q11

Action: EB the Ogre Zombie!

And yeah, it's stupidly broken, and the reason Warlock 2 is such a good dip for a blaster caster.

Zman
2015-11-18, 03:21 PM
The Ogre is again staggered by two blasts as it lumbers forward...

The guardians again spring to life, two bolts narrowly missing Treorri before the third, frim the northern gargoyle at his back hit singing his hiar...

Hit and Crit

I mean, I thought they'd errata it and was surprised when they didn't. Even allowing Cha to damage on every dice, dumb. Ugg, one of 5e's mistakes, but still nothing compared to 3.5E!

Round 13!

Crit, 16 Fire Damage.

2015-11-18, 04:10 PM
Treorri continues his fighting retreat, resolving to blast the statues apart before beginning the next wave. Maybe he can work his way back to the broken ground...

Move: V8

Zman
2015-11-18, 04:17 PM
Again the Ogre Zombie is blasted back, and again it charges forward... the muffled crowd seems a bit restless, they want blood! The crowd is nearly satisfied as three more statues, to the east, south, and west spring forth again, two blasts miss wide and one is harmlessly deflected by Treorri's shield...

All missed. Darn, the Statues don't like you!

Round 14!

2015-11-18, 04:21 PM
Continuing, Treorri makes his way into the broken ground (minding his footing as he does) while sending two more bolts at the unfortunate Ogre.

The crowd can suck it, I'm missing 13 HP.

Move: Y8

A1: [roll1]
D1: [roll2] (+[roll3] if crit)
A2: [roll4]
D2: [roll5] (+[roll6] if crit)

Zman
2015-11-18, 04:25 PM
Gouges of flesh are missing from the Ogre Zombi and yet it lumbers forward onto the perilous ground it's size giving it a minor advantage on the broken ground... although the Ogre doesn't all it is unbalanced somewhat making it even an easier target...

Check[roll0]

You have advantage on your attacks against the Ogre. If it had fallen it wouldn't have been able to reach you.

Zman
2015-11-18, 04:27 PM
As the Ogre closes in the Statues are silent...

Round 15!

2015-11-18, 05:20 PM
Retreating once more, Treorri fired two more bolts at the Ogre, taking advantage of its mis-step.

Move: Y3

A1: [roll1] or [roll2], whichever is better
D1: [roll3] (+[roll4] if crit)
A2: [roll5] or [roll6], whichever is better
D2: [roll7] (+[roll8] if crit)

Zman
2015-11-18, 05:30 PM
The giant Ogre corpse makes one flailing attack with its mace before Treorri escapes his grasp... the swing misses and both bolts of Eldritc Energy find their mark yet the shredded Zombie again lumbers forward...

AoO [roll0] Damage [roll1] Critical[roll2]

Undead Fortitude DC11 Damage [roll3]

Zman
2015-11-18, 05:34 PM
The Zombie Lumbers Forward... managing to freeitself from the debris without trouble...

Two statues spring to life from the east and west, yet neither bolt of fire finds its mark...

[roll0]

[roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

Round 16

2015-11-18, 05:58 PM
A couple slashes of his blade should fell this beast...

Move: W7

Action: Rapier the Ogre Zombie!

A1: [roll3]
D1: [roll4] (+[roll5] if crit)

Zman
2015-11-18, 06:01 PM
A quick and pinpoint strike and the rapier blade again pierded the Zombie's head, quite a feat with the 9' monstrosity... as soon as the beast fell the crowd can again be heard. The announcer shouts your triumphs!

Wave 2 is done.

96 second.

Round 17

2015-11-18, 06:14 PM
Making his way to the center point once more, Treorri tosses a couple of bolts at the nearest gargoyle, curious to see what effect it might have...

Move:S10

Action: EB the gargoyle at S5.

A1: [roll0] (or maybe [roll1], if I've got advantage to attack unmoving targets)
D1: [roll2] (+[roll3] if crit)
A2: [roll4] (or maybe [roll5], if I've got advantage to attack unmoving targets)
D2: [roll6] (+[roll7] if crit)

Zman
2015-11-18, 06:45 PM
As Treorri tosses his magics at the Statue chips of what look like stone fly from it and he can hear the announcer,"Now, now, what a clever gladiator!" With a chuckle and boos from the crowd, "You are supposed to activate the pedestal first!"

Suddenly two of the Statues, one from the south and one from the west, spring to life and fly towards Treorri...

[roll0]

Wave 3 Started
Turn 18!

2015-11-18, 07:00 PM
Oh lovely, they do move. Shall I assume that they'll be part of the later waves as well?:smallamused:

Zman
2015-11-18, 07:02 PM
Haha, actually just the two. Unless I'm lying...

2015-11-18, 07:11 PM
Realizing these foes would not be so easily tripped up with the broken ground, Treorri cast another spell before retreating to a nearby corner. It was time to think defensively...especially if they swarmed him.

Oh yeah, that's totally reassuring...

Action: Protection from Good and Evil (many creature types, including elementals like Gargoyles, have disadvantage to attack me)

Move: S6

Casting doesn't provoke, but moving does, so they'll get an AoO...at disadvantage, presumably. If not, then I just wasted my last spell, and I'm prolly gonna die. Oh well...

Zman
2015-11-18, 09:19 PM
The Gargoyles rake at Treorri as he flees to a defensible corner...

AoOs at Disadvantage. Nice spell!
[roll0]
[roll1]
Hit 3 Damage.m down to 5/8 Temp HP.

I'll have their half of the turn up later tonight.

Zman
2015-11-18, 10:43 PM
The Gargoyles quickly pursue Treorri, circling him to split his attention... Their claws raking at him...

Advantage cancels Disadvantage
Multi Attack Bite and Claws
G1
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]
G2
[roll6][roll7][roll8]hit, just used the Crit d6 since I had a copy paste error.
[roll9][roll10][roll11]

One hot for 5 Damage

Turn 19

2015-11-18, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I'm like 95% sure you can't flank aroind corners, but whatever. I'll respond ij full when I'm not driving.

Zman
2015-11-18, 11:05 PM
Modified to a more palatable location.

2015-11-18, 11:20 PM
Circling around the lower gargoyle, Treorri worked his way into the back corner before firing a couple more bolts...and readying his rapier for the inevitable reply.

Move: T3

Action: EB on G2.

Zman
2015-11-18, 11:30 PM
Raking at Treorri as he runs for a defensible position, the Gargoyles follow, quick on his heels trying to drag him to the ground before ripping him to shreds... Treorri falls quickly and the Gargoyls waste no time ripping into him...

Make Shove to knock prone till win then attacks
[roll0] vs [roll1] Knocked Prone
[roll2] vs [roll3]
[roll4] vs [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7][roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11][roll12] Hit
[roll13][roll14][roll15] Hit
[roll16][roll17][roll18] Hit

Three hits, 22 Damage, nasty!

Round 20!

2015-11-18, 11:43 PM
Treorri struggled to his feet, swiping with his rapier twice.

I would just like to point out how completely bull**** that round was. That was a hilarious train wreck...

"Oh, we need a 16 on disadvantage to hit this prick? Okay, let's knock him to the ground on our first try, despite him outclassing us at that prone shoving game, and then we'll attack 3 times and hit every time...and hey, you know what, how about we have those attacks average just shy of maximum damage? Yeah, that's a fun time."

Move: Stand up.

[b]Action:[/roll] EB on G2.

Zman
2015-11-19, 06:54 AM
Treorri does his best to lash out with his blade landing two successful hit..

Yes, that was absolutely brutal.

Unless you have something that negates it, you are at Disadvantage for a ranged spell in melee.

[roll0]

First becomes a Miss, Second is still a hit. 13 Damage.

Edit: made them rapier hits.

Zman
2015-11-19, 06:56 AM
As he repells one of the Gargoyles it quickly returns and they again try to take Treorri off his fight and end this battle... again they are able to take him down, but it is more difficult this time...

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9]

[roll10][roll11][roll12]
[roll13][roll14][roll15]
[roll16][roll17][roll18]

One hit, 7 Damage. Oh, and you need Concentration Checks.

Zman
2015-11-19, 06:58 AM
Concentrations for last round and this round
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]

That is good, a double fail would have been disasterous!

Round 21!

2015-11-19, 08:47 AM
Damn it, I was trying to use my rapier! It doesn't help that I can't type...

Screw it.

Zman
2015-11-19, 10:02 AM
Changed it to rapier attacks. Adjusted a Damage down by 1 each hot. 19 damage. You are up for round 21