PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Prestige Classes

ZhanStrider
2015-11-17, 04:05 PM
I've got a paladin (of freedom) level 4, and I'm trying to find a prestige class that gives more than 2+int skill points/level that makes sense for a paladin to have. Any one have any thoughts? If there's nothing good l'll just go cleric or something

ComaVision
2015-11-17, 04:13 PM
Vigilante from Complete Adventurer maybe? Makes sense for a PoF and has 6+int skills.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-17, 04:14 PM
Shadowbane Inquisitor comes to mind.

Troacctid
2015-11-17, 04:14 PM
Not a prestige class, but Crusader and Warblade both have 4 + Int skill points per level and can act a lot like prestige classes because of how they scale with other class levels.

ComaVision
2015-11-17, 04:15 PM
Shadowbane Inquisitor comes to mind.

Lawful Good only.

Red Fel
2015-11-17, 04:19 PM
I've got a paladin (of freedom) level 4, and I'm trying to find a prestige class that gives more than 2+int skill points/level that makes sense for a paladin to have. Any one have any thoughts? If there's nothing good l'll just go cleric or something

Well, part of the problem is that some of the better (or only) Paladin PrCs require an LG alignment. For example, Fist of Raziel is one of the go-tos for a great Paladin build, with smites-aplenty. LG required. Ordained Champion is another solid contender. LG, NG or NE.

And that's the point. Any class that "makes sense for a paladin to have" is LG-oriented, because it's designed around a Paladin, not a PoF.

There are a few exceptions, though. The Holy Liberator from Complete Divine is pretty much designed for the job. CG prerequisite, and various Paladin-like abilities. Paladin levels stack for CL and Smite purposes. Another option is the Pious Templar, also from Complete Divine. Works with all Paladin types. Bonus Fighter feats, Mettle and DR, extra Smite, and more spells.

Then there are other classes altogether. For instance, the Vigilante is an interesting choice if you're going for more of a sleuth-y PoF; a Hunter of the Dead makes for a good Undead-specialized PoF; a Hellreaver makes for a great demon-slayer PoF.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-17, 04:20 PM
Lawful Good only.

Right you are.

What deity, if any, does this paladin follow?

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-17, 04:31 PM
Sword of Righteousness (BoED) - any good and can continue to advance as paladin - 3 levels
Witch Slayer (ToM) - no alignment prerequisite and can continue to advance as paladin - 5 levels

ZhanStrider
2015-11-17, 04:45 PM
Right you are.

What deity, if any, does this paladin follow?

One of my DM's homebrew ones. Tamara from Forgotten Realms is almost exactly the same though.

nedz
2015-11-17, 04:53 PM
Bard, or Prestige Bard — 6 Skill points per level enough for you ?

Normally for a Bardadin you'd start with Bard and only have two levels of Paladin, but I guess you wanted TU (TU can, of course, power one of several feats).

You can then head for Abjurant Champion, which will advance your casting and has full BAB, perhaps via Spellsword.

So Paladin 4 / Bard 4 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 5

Ed: you need Bard 4 for this to work.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-17, 04:57 PM
I second the notion of sword of righteousness.

If the deity is draconic, as Tamara is, one could tweak Vassal of Bahamut. (not greater in skill points)
If the deity has mercy as an aspect, consider Apostle of Peace. It isn't perfect for a paladin, but workable.
If the deity is alike more in the light aspect, although the prerequisites require a spell one needs 3rd level spells to cast (i think), master of radiance could hold some use.
Anointed knight isn't a bad choice, all things considered. (not greater in skill points)

ZhanStrider
2015-11-17, 07:01 PM
Well, part of the problem is that some of the better (or only) Paladin PrCs require an LG alignment. For example, Fist of Raziel is one of the go-tos for a great Paladin build, with smites-aplenty. LG required. Ordained Champion is another solid contender. LG, NG or NE.

And that's the point. Any class that "makes sense for a paladin to have" is LG-oriented, because it's designed around a Paladin, not a PoF.

There are a few exceptions, though. The Holy Liberator from Complete Divine is pretty much designed for the job. CG prerequisite, and various Paladin-like abilities. Paladin levels stack for CL and Smite purposes. Another option is the Pious Templar, also from Complete Divine. Works with all Paladin types. Bonus Fighter feats, Mettle and DR, extra Smite, and more spells.

Then there are other classes altogether. For instance, the Vigilante is an interesting choice if you're going for more of a sleuth-y PoF; a Hunter of the Dead makes for a good Undead-specialized PoF; a Hellreaver makes for a great demon-slayer PoF.

The problem with Holy Liberator is that it's basically a re-hash of the first 10 levels of Paladin of Freedom.

Vigilante looks interesting. Would it be terribly difficult to re-fluff Fist of Raziel to CG stuff?

ZhanStrider
2015-11-17, 07:48 PM
Bard, or Prestige Bard — 6 Skill points per level enough for you ?

Normally for a Bardadin you'd start with Bard and only have two levels of Paladin, but I guess you wanted TU (TU can, of course, power one of several feats).

You can then head for Abjurant Champion, which will advance your casting and has full BAB, perhaps via Spellsword.

So Paladin 4 / Bard 4 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 5

Ed: you need Bard 4 for this to work.

I really only wanted 3 levels of paladin, but the character was an NPC til now (I just took leadership) and the DM won't let me re-train the last level.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-17, 08:02 PM
Vigilante looks interesting. Would it be terribly difficult to re-fluff Fist of Raziel to CG stuff?

Switch out Servant of the Heavens for Knight of Stars and say it comes from Morwel's male consort (the name escapes me). Re-fluffing done. The mechanics should need no change.

Warrnan
2015-11-17, 10:24 PM
Honestly. You grab a few levels of cleric then jump into ordained champion and fist of raziel. Ask your DM to help you with refluffs to CG. Kord comes to mind. War isn't a domain of his but you could substitute strength or something.

These two prestige classes with cleric casting are what I always substitute for the actual paladin class. So very powerful. I just make the alignments reflect your Patron Angels/saints/gods/ ideals.

Also. Grab battle blessing asap and cast all your paladin spells swiftly.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-17, 10:44 PM
Maybe check out Mythic Exemplar (Complete Champion, pages 86-90). You'll qualify with BAB +5.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-17, 10:53 PM
Provided the aforementioned Crusader class, how about a level or so of that to enter an appropriately re-fluffed version of the Ruby Knight Vindicator? Or forget the crusader class, and take a couple of feats to get the requirements to enter.

Waazraath
2015-11-18, 03:56 AM

Maybe witch slayer from Tome of Magic, with the variant rule that gives another use of smite evil every level. It has a decent skill list, 4+int, and inproves one of the signature abilities of the pally.

ZhanStrider
2015-11-18, 04:22 PM
Additionally, a couple of classes get "smite chaos" as a class ability, but ive yet to see "Smite Law" as an ability anywhere. What the f?

Troacctid
2015-11-18, 04:27 PM
Additionally, a couple of classes get "smite chaos" as a class ability, but ive yet to see "Smite Law" as an ability anywhere. What the f?

You haven't looked hard enough. Off the top of my head, you get it from the granted power of the Limbo planar domain and from the Anarchic creature template. And that doesn't include any "Smite opposition" abilities that vary based on your alignment—those exist as well.

ZhanStrider
2015-11-18, 04:55 PM
You haven't looked hard enough. Off the top of my head, you get it from the granted power of the Limbo planar domain and from the Anarchic creature template. And that doesn't include any "Smite opposition" abilities that vary based on your alignment—those exist as well.

A+ I was unaware of all of those

Flickerdart
2015-11-18, 05:25 PM
After a bit of digging, those are the only sources of Smite Law.

Meanwhile, Smite Chaos is gained by Axiomatic creatures, Sapphire Hierarchs, Gray Guards, the feat Cuthbert's Smite, and the Rhek. So there is definitely a bias towards smiting Chaos over Law, but not nearly as much as the difference between Smite Evil and Smite Good.

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-18, 05:49 PM
And just where is all the love for Smite Neutral? I tell you, the game is going to be overrun if there isn't a viable way to smite those neutral types.

noob
2015-11-18, 05:58 PM
And neutral people are on he average way more evil(by a factor two hundred) than any other alignment doing things like killing everything good and evil that ever existed for "balance"
Evil people are far more kind frequently thinking to stuff like "themselves" or their friends and prioritizing them over insanely absurdly evil stuff like "balance".
I think all kinds of paladins should get together and invent smite neutral that would make the dnd universe a better place.

Chronos
2015-11-18, 06:00 PM
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

I think that, given that paladins of other alignments are a variant rule to begin with, it's not too much of a stretch to ask a DM to houserule the paladin PrCs to work with other alignments, too.

noob
2015-11-18, 06:05 PM
"Lust for gold? Power?"
Those makes you Chaotic Evil and thus far less evil than Neutral.
You can trust Chaotic Evil people if it is in their interest to be your friend.
You can not trust neutral people because they are creating an ritual for destroying all the good and evil of the world and that includes you.
I would find logical to do prcs for different alignments of paladin but one great problem is that some concepts are innately different for example a PRC based on finding the people guilty of a crime will need a concept change when you adapt it to chaotic.

nedz
2015-11-18, 06:12 PM
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Some men are born into neutrality, some achieve neutrality, others have neutrality thrust upon them.