PDA

View Full Version : Any Use for a Barbarian Cleric

MrStabby
2015-11-17, 04:21 PM
So I thought that warding bond could be pretty solid with a barbarian's rage and thought it could be fun to play with a more mystic focussed barbarian.

Other than this, is there actually any benefit to using these two classes together or would it be a bit mechanically shallow to play?

JumboWheat01
2015-11-17, 04:52 PM
Can you maintain concentration on spells while Raging? I know you can't cast any new ones, but I'm not sure about the former. If not, that really limits cross-classing with casters just for their buffs.

Corran
2015-11-17, 05:01 PM
Can you maintain concentration on spells while Raging? I know you can't cast any new ones, but I'm not sure about the former. If not, that really limits cross-classing with casters just for their buffs.
Nope, you cannot. That makes rage compete with spells like bless, so it's not the most optimal thing to do, but it's not that terrible either.

Orbis Orboros
2015-11-17, 05:23 PM
A Barbarian casting Warding Bond on himself is a terrible idea.

It's not concentration, but that's not the issue. The problem is that Warding Bond gives the target resistance to all damage types, and then deals equal damage to the caster. For most classes, this basically cancels out when a caster puts it on themselves. But since the Barbarian already has resistance to most damage (and resistance doesn't stack), you would simply be doubling the damage your barbarian took in exchange for +1 to AC and saves.

JellyPooga
2015-11-17, 05:51 PM
A Barbarian casting Warding Bond on himself is a terrible idea.

Umm...I don't think he's thinking of casting it on himself. Cast on someone else, he's giving out +1 AC and Saves and Resistance to damage, taking half the damage himself which due to Rage is halved again.

So if Subject A takes 8 damage from an attack, it's halved to 4 and Barb/Cleric takes 4, which is halved to 2.

ruy343
2015-11-17, 06:43 PM
Umm...I don't think he's thinking of casting it on himself. Cast on someone else, he's giving out +1 AC and Saves and Resistance to damage, taking half the damage himself which due to Rage is halved again.

So if Subject A takes 8 damage from an attack, it's halved to 4 and Barb/Cleric takes 4, which is halved to 2.

Yeah, I think that was where he was going with it. Unfortunately, spells cannot be cast while raging, nor can concentration be maintained. Sorry...

DracoKnight
2015-11-17, 06:49 PM

Nope, you cannot. That makes rage compete with spells like bless, so it's not the most optimal thing to do, but it's not that terrible either.

Warding Bond is non-concentration and lasts for 1 hour.

MrStabby
2015-11-18, 05:57 AM
Warding Bond is non-concentration and lasts for 1 hour.

Yeah, people seem to have got what I was wanting to do: take a squishy party member and ward them. Rage. They take half damage, I take quarter damage.

It is a non concentration spell so I can keep it up whilst raging.

I was just hoping there were other crossovers between the classes that worked well and could give me a few interesting things to do.

Maxilian
2015-11-18, 01:51 PM
Is true that you can't use most of your spells while raging, but you can still use most of your abilities, like your Channel Divinity, and... you could still use your spells to open combat, or just out of combat, not everything is solved slashing things :smallbiggrin:

CoggieRagabash
2015-11-18, 02:05 PM
I'm no expert, but going deep enough into Cleric to get 2nd level spell access as a Barbarian sounds a little costly. If you want to roll a more mystic sort of barbarian I think that's a great idea but you'd probably be better served just taking Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster as a feat if that's possible and a suitable background (Hermit is a great fit imho).

Human Paragon 3
2015-11-18, 03:04 PM
I'd got with a nature cleric for this, if only for the thematic synergy.