PDA

View Full Version : Really That Good: The Avengers

Lizard Lord
2015-11-17, 08:46 PM
I had read part of another thread where people addressed that they didn't understand why The Avengers was as successful as it is and was about to post this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAp-QCHj_A) to Movie Bob answering just that, until I both remembered that the thread was not about the Avengers and realized I was on page 1 of a 7 page thread.

So I have created a new thread to show the video of the people that are still asking that question and to open discussion about it in general.

DiscipleofBob
2015-11-18, 07:20 AM
It's funny. I always loved Avengers, but couldn't really explain why it was a good movie on its own. So I originally attributed my like for the movie to nostalgic biases and the support it gets from all the other MCU movies building up to it. Movie Bob manages to explain why it's a great movie on its own merit.

BeerMug Paladin
2015-11-20, 01:46 AM
I can only really speak for myself, but watching the thing was probably the worst movie experience of my life.

I haven't watched the video yet (wow, it's long), but I think I recall Movie Bob saying back when it was first released that it deserves to be highly rated just because it exists. (Weird thing for a supposed professional critic to say.) That seems as good an explanation as any. Sometimes I get so enamored with a concept in a presentation that I can't actually see the thing I'm looking at.

That sort of thing happens to everyone now and then; there's nothing wrong with it. And there's also nothing wrong with enjoying something that someone else dislikes (or vice-versa).

Lizard Lord
2015-11-20, 02:18 AM
I can only really speak for myself, but watching the thing was probably the worst movie experience of my life.

I haven't watched the video yet (wow, it's long), but I think I recall Movie Bob saying back when it was first released that it deserves to be highly rated just because it exists. (Weird thing for a supposed professional critic to say.) That seems as good an explanation as any. Sometimes I get so enamored with a concept in a presentation that I can't actually see the thing I'm looking at.

That sort of thing happens to everyone now and then; there's nothing wrong with it. And there's also nothing wrong with enjoying something that someone else dislikes (or vice-versa).

The point was not to tell people that they were right or wrong for liking or disliking The Avengers but to help those that did not understand why so many people like it answer that question. It is fine if you don't like it yourself.

However, no, that's not the reason. Or at least not the full reason. If that was the only reason I am sure the reviews would be more mixed than they are (and even if I am wrong on that, it still isn't the only thing the movie has going for it). I can't really put it into words that well myself, hence the Movie Bob link.

Also, did he say highly rated or celebrated? I could understand the later, but not the former. Even if the movie bombed and even if I myself wound up hating how it turned out I would still have to respect the pure ambition and vision that comes from even trying to establish The Avengers and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was certainly no small project. Furthurmore if they preceded to continue the MCU despite that, and the rest of the movies were just as good as I consider them to be now, I would definitely have to respect The Avengers for making the MCU a thing.