PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Feedback on Revised Mage Build in (3.5)

Doctor Despair
2015-11-17, 08:51 PM
I've been trying to finish up this caster build and, much as you would expect, I keep discovering new elements that change my fundamental understanding of how to optimize a mage. Here's what I have so far:

Wizard 1: Extend Spell, Quicken Spell

Wizard 2:

Wizard 3: Item Familiar (Ramping Spellcraft of course)

Wizard 4:

Wizard 5: (luck reroll)

Mindbender 6: Mindsight, Iron Will from Otyugh Hole

Incantatrix 7: Arcane Disciple Domain Hero (for Divine Power for BAB 20 touch attacks)

Incantatrix 8:

Incantatrix 9: Leadership (high-level artificer for cheap equipment)

Incantatrix 10: Persistent Spell

Dweomerkeeper 11: (GM waived magic domain requirement)

Dweomerkeeper 12: Craft Contingent Spell

Dweomerkeeper 13:

Dweomerkeeper 14:

Dweomerkeeper 15: Spell Mastery

Dweomerkeeper 16:

Dweomerkeeper 17:

Dweomerkeeper 18: Uncanny Forethought

Dweomerkeeper 19:

Dweomerkeeper 20:

Epic Dweomerkeeper 21: Epic Spellcasting

Wielding a Rod of Guided Spell

How does this look for an epic caster? Free wishes as necessary (although this character would avoid using them to avoid attracting unnecessary attention from Greater Powers), near-unmissable touch attacks, and the ability to ignore spell resistance 4 times a day? Not to mention shenanigans with Iron Golems and phylacteries and magic jars due to the aforementioned ability to ignore SR. What other tips and tricks should I be using?

ryu
2015-11-17, 11:36 PM
Craft contingent spell is one of the most powerful feats in literally the entire game. It's especially powerful if you start using minions to bypass the limit of maximum number of contingent spells. Make the action economy cry even harder than you knew how to before.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-18, 03:33 AM
Are you sure you have enough skill points to qualify for Mindbender and then Incantatrix after that? I haven't done the math, but even with 18 Int it's going to be really tight getting those 4 cross-class skills while keeping up your concentration, spellcraft and knowledge:arcana.

You're still not qualifying for Dweomerkeeper even with the Magic domain not required. You don't have any divine casting.

You also get a bonus metamagic feat at Incantatrix 4 that you seem to have missed, along with Scribe Scroll as a 1st level wizard bonus feat (which you could trade away if you kept Craft Wondrous, otherwise you need it for Dweomerkeeper).

Doctor Despair
2015-11-18, 07:13 AM
Are you sure you have enough skill points to qualify for Mindbender and then Incantatrix after that? I haven't done the math, but even with 18 Int it's going to be really tight getting those 4 cross-class skills while keeping up your concentration, spellcraft and knowledge:arcana.

I've got a 23 in my intelligence. :) Should be okay.

You're still not qualifying for Dweomerkeeper even with the Magic domain not required. You don't have any divine casting.

I shifted over the Arcane Disciple feat to accommodate for that. Thanks for the headsup!

You also get a bonus metamagic feat at Incantatrix 4 that you seem to have missed, along with Scribe Scroll as a 1st level wizard bonus feat (which you could trade away if you kept Craft Wondrous, otherwise you need it for Dweomerkeeper).

I'm not sure that you can retrain the class-specific feats given like that, since you didn't qualify for a different feat at that level, but I completely forgot about it. Again, thanks for the headsup!

Xervous
2015-11-18, 10:33 AM
I've got a 23 in my intelligence. :) Should be okay.

I shifted over the Arcane Disciple feat to accommodate for that. Thanks for the headsup!

I'm not sure that you can retrain the class-specific feats given like that, since you didn't qualify for a different feat at that level, but I completely forgot about it. Again, thanks for the headsup!

Arcane disciple is only giving you the spell on your list, it will still be an arcane spell you're casting. Additionally using it for something as piddly as divine power is... disappointing given the other possibilities available in feat selection.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-11-18, 02:53 PM
I would highly recommend picking up that (cloistered) cleric dip anyway. Not only do you qualify for Dweomerkeeper, you also get 16 more skill points at first level, class skills that are relevant for Mindbender (Diplomacy! You can get more with the Trickery domain), turn undead to fuel Divine Defiance (say), and up to three bonus feats (Knowledge Devotion, Extend Spell, Scribe Scroll for example).

You already have 9th-level spells at level 21 regardless, so the lost caster level is not a huge issue.