PDA

View Full Version : Blitzcrank in 3.5?

Sapreaver
2015-11-17, 08:56 PM
Hi, I'm trying to make blitzcrank (or nautilus) for an upcoming 3.5 game.
If you're unfamiliar with blitzcrank from lol
His ability set consists of
a shield that comes up when he's low hp.
An ability that pulls someone adjacent to himself
What amounts to haste
A knock up
And his ultimate ability is aoe lightning damage that silences that has an additional passive that zaps nearby targets for damage every so often.

So I have the w down which just amounts to at haste usable numerous rounds per day

The q (pull) I'm a bit stuck on, I was inspired a bit by the wolfstyle trip feat line but that AoO only. then I was thinking about a returning harpoon refluffed to look as a hand. I think that might need an insanity check though

The E I've decided to be the fling enemy feat and than I'll just toss the foe upwards falling damage is fun xD.

I haven't really looked for anything for the ultimate TBH I'm sure that their is a spell that does aoe lightning damage centred around me if not lightning I'll try and get the DMs permission to refluff as lightning. I'm not sure about the arcs though. In game it happens once every 6 seconds so an at will lightning low damage as a swift or free action is ideal but I don't know what to do here.

Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. One last thing is what would the LA be for an awakened iron golem lol.

Doctor Despair
2015-11-17, 09:38 PM
The q (pull) I'm a bit stuck on, I was inspired a bit by the wolfstyle trip feat line but that AoO only. then I was thinking about a returning harpoon refluffed to look as a hand. I think that might need an insanity check though

Bigby's Crushing Hand maybe?

I haven't really looked for anything for the ultimate TBH I'm sure that their is a spell that does aoe lightning damage centred around me if not lightning I'll try and get the DMs permission to refluff as lightning. I'm not sure about the arcs though. In game it happens once every 6 seconds so an at will lightning low damage as a swift or free action is ideal but I don't know what to do here.

Check out the spell Lightning Ring for the passive and the ultimate.

Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. One last thing is what would the LA be for an awakened iron golem lol.

Look into half golems! There's no LA, but you have to make a will save or become a construct each time you add a limb. Maybe just get one arm replaced? Of course that makes you immune to magic, which could be a problem.

Troacctid
2015-11-17, 09:54 PM
The Improved Grab ability pulls an enemy into your space when you successfully use it. You can get it with a single level of Barbarian, using the Spirit Bear totem from Complete Champion. Then all you need is a way to raise your size category (since it only works on creatures that are smaller than you) and make melee attacks from a distance.

justiceforall
2015-11-17, 09:56 PM
Please note, the following are not done for optimisation purposes, only for stylistic match.

Golem - Warforged. Large or Powerful Build is also desirable see below (Blitzcrank is pretty large anyway)
Passive - Spellshield ACF for a sorcerer comes to mind. A much closer version would be the Illumine Soul's 4th level ability, but that would be very hard to get into a working build
Rocket Grab - Improved Grab and a reach weapon, maximising reach as much as possible to simulate the range. It will drag opponents to you when it works. You can also use the spell Telekinesis to generate this effect using Violent Thrust
Powerfist - If you can get to Large size (or powerful build) you can use Awesome Blow. Knockdown would also work.
Overdrive - Haste seems fine as you've stated
Static Field - Energy Vortex spell generates the active. Passive I'm not sure, is there a Draconic Aura that can do this maybe?

Edit: haha ninja'd by Tro

Doctor Despair
2015-11-17, 09:57 PM
The Improved Grab ability pulls an enemy into your space when you successfully use it. You can get it with a single level of Barbarian, using the Spirit Bear totem from Complete Champion. Then all you need is a way to raise your size category (since it only works on creatures that are smaller than you) and make melee attacks from a distance.

That seems good! Are we making a gish type thing then?

Troacctid
2015-11-17, 10:06 PM
The Blood Wind spell (from Spell Compendium) is probably the most effective way to punch someone from 10 Teemos away, and spellcasting is a good way to gain temporary HP, so sure, a gish seems fine.

Sapreaver
2015-11-17, 11:34 PM
Love you saying punching someone from 10 teemo away! A Gish would make sense as blitz scales with ap. Improved grab gives me a grapple attempt right? That works perfect with fling enemy for the QE combo. I'll check out lightning ring in a minute and the half golem race aswell.

Sapreaver
2015-11-17, 11:56 PM
Sorry for the double post.

I looked up some of the stuff you guys have given me for advice so so a fish is necessary.

I Think I've come up with a build I'm not sure how well it will work but I'm pretty sure this is low op anyways

So build lightning ring is rough being an 8th level spell so 16 levels of sorc or prestige classes that fully advance spell casting

For class distribution
Bear spirit barbarian first level
6 levels of sorc rushing for haste
2 levels of blood storm blade for the thunderous throw

I'm not sure if I have the feat room to do this with the iron heart requirement this early.

10 levels of sorc for lightning ring.

That brings me to 19 for full activation of blitz but otherwise every other ability is obtained with the 6 sorc 2 BSB and Barbarian levels

I was thinking for the size I'll try and convince my dm to let me wear a trapped ring of expansion that auto resets and keeps me huge size all the time.

I think being a warforged would be best with the battle fist component and the throw anything and thunderous throw allowing me to have it be a melee attack to proc improved grab.

Are there any sorc gishes that would allow me to still get lightning ring but enhance my melee or at least to hit.

so ideally the combo would be throw the fist as a full attack with thunderous throw
Make the grapple check
Use a method to gain an extra action
Throw the enemy up as high as possible
And then have a contingencied lightning ring happen when you throw someone.
Lol I lurk on the forum to much.
Kinda cheesy but awesome, a whole lot of MAD

Any improvements you guys can suggest

Troacctid
2015-11-18, 12:12 AM
Improved grab gives me a grapple attempt right?

Correct, as long as the target creature is smaller than you. Getting large enough will be difficult, though, since the usual method, Permanent Enlarge Person, doesn't work on constructs.

LudicSavant
2015-11-18, 12:14 AM
punch someone from 10 Teemos away

I approve of this system of measurement and suggest that it replace the yards/feet/inches system immediately.

Baroknik
2015-11-18, 02:27 AM

I'd combo this with bloodstorm blade.

Sapreaver
2015-11-18, 09:29 AM
That's what I did I have a build in a post above you I'm not sure if it will work though.

If I throw an enemy at another enemy with thunderous throw to make it count as a melee attack . Does that mean I can grab the guy I hit with his friend and since of the returning portion of the BSB does the other guy come back to me?

Baroknik
2015-11-18, 01:58 PM
That's what I did I have a build in a post above you I'm not sure if it will work though.

If I throw an enemy at another enemy with thunderous throw to make it count as a melee attack . Does that mean I can grab the guy I hit with his friend and since of the returning portion of the BSB does the other guy come back to me?

Fling enemy, while neat, seems unnecessary. Really using any melee weapon with Improved Grab should emulate Rocket Grab pretty well. I would even consider getting an Amulet of Natural Attacks enchanted with +X Throwing on it. Returning is a good property here as well, obviously, but if you decide to go Bloodstorm Blade 4 you will have Lightning Ricochet, which is objectively better. If you can manage the feats, PBS and Far Shot are great for this, making your fists' range increments of 20 (so up to 100 ft max range).

Also, while going sorc does get you lightning ring, you can potentially get haste with a single level dip into Trapsmith, though qualifying may take a couple more levels, it would still save you build resources if you can find a substitute of lightning ring.

Also, you may want to take a look at the Spellwarped Template, it is LA +3, but would give you a pseudo-haste, a pseudo-shield, and some other goodies depending on how you flavor it. It isn't an optimal choice (few LA +3 templates are), but depending on the level of game it can be fun and may fit.

As far as lightning ring, while it would be pretty nice in emulation, it takes up a HUGE amount of your build resources (16 levels if sorc, 15 levels if wiz).

Have you considered going artificer as the core of the build? You could nab haste super early that way (off the trapsmith spell-list) as well as grab lightning ring in a consolidated fashion that also feels very "robo-golem"-esque. Make yourself a construct/warforged and you can even give yourself infusions!

My final thought (at the moment anyway) is to look into psionics. If your DM/GM allows you to use some STP stuff, go Psion and learn some of these abilities via that route. The bonuses with psionics in my opinion are:
1) Power Points definitely give the feeling of a mana reserve (which is the function of Blitz's passive since it goes off current mana when it triggers),
2) Psionic tattoos definitely fit the feeling of a mechanomagical entity, and
3) There are a lot of psionic options that allow you to manipulate force/gravity in a way that would be great emulation for the knock-up

Heck, honestly the more I think about it, Psionics is probably the way to go even without STP. I'll do some digging, but I bet there are good psionic equivalents of each of those abilities. Psi-Artificer is also an option if you want to combine the two (with DM permission since it's an unofficial variant, of course).

justiceforall
2015-11-19, 10:31 PM
There's a spell from Frostburn called "Lesser Frost Aura" that could stand in for Lightning Ring at a much lower level (using Energy Substitution, or just a kind GM)