PDA

View Full Version : oriental armor??

Nosta
2015-11-17, 09:38 PM
what is the strongest non-magical armor I can get for a war-blade of the iron heart discipline
the armor I want is oriental so like their version of full plate
this is for a sengoku/feudal japan style rp

and I am rping as a level 3 version of Hakumen from the blaz blue fighting franchise

Âmesang
2015-11-17, 10:03 PM
First thing that came to mind was the "great armor" from Oriental Adventures, p. 76, which is depicted as your typical samurai armor.

…and now I want to add stylized spikes and play as the Shredder.

Nosta
2015-11-17, 10:05 PM
First thing that came to mind was the "great armor" from Oriental Adventures, p. 76, which is depicted as your typical samurai armor.

…and now I want to add stylized spikes and play as the Shredder.

now that sounds damn cool

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-18, 08:26 AM
now that sounds damn cool

Stylized nothing. Armor spikes are a functional addition to a reach weapon build. Spears are a traditional weapon in much of Asia.

Florian
2015-11-18, 08:29 AM
what is the strongest non-magical armor I can get for a war-blade of the iron heart discipline
the armor I want is oriental so like their version of full plate
this is for a sengoku/feudal japan style rp

and I am rping as a level 3 version of Hakumen from the blaz blue fighting franchise

Depends a bit on what version you're using. The O-Yoroi is either a refluffed Full Plate or a lighter version (1 point less AC, 1 point more max dex)

animewatcha
2015-11-18, 01:01 PM
what type of non-magical armor outside of OA counts as padded, leather, or chain shirt for purposes of the charcaina (sp?) and the dastana? Can the dastana and the other thing benefits from the +1 armor mod from the dragon mag article? effectively giving +2 armor bonus each?

Chronos
2015-11-18, 01:10 PM
The armor you're looking for is called full plate, and it gives +8 AC with a +1 max dex bonus. If you want it to be oriental-style, then get oriental-style full plate. The rules don't say anything about what culture different items are supposed to come from.

ben-zayb
2015-11-18, 01:43 PM
The armor you're looking for is called full plate, and it gives +8 AC with a +1 max dex bonus. If you want it to be oriental-style, then get oriental-style full plate. The rules don't say anything about what culture different items are supposed to come from.
While the point makes sense, did they even adapt iron/steel plates up to the full plate variety?

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-18, 01:57 PM
While the point makes sense, did they even adapt iron/steel plates up to the full plate variety?

Historically, Japan and much of Asia had horrid metal quality and few good mine-able deposits. This lead to very brittle iron and steel. This made large metal objects impractical, so spears became the weapon of choice. Swords and other melee weapons meant for smashing though armor didn't catch on due to their impracticality (katana are fragile cutting blades) so armor never needed to develop to the point of stopping heavier weapons. Woven armor and ceramic plates stop arrows and spears very well, warhammers not so much.

Chainmail was a thing that showed up, but it was horridly expensive. It didn't help that for long periods the head of state claimed all mineral rights period, meaning all metal was owned by the state.

It was just a different development path due to a different set of natural resources. By the time the west imported proper metal refinement methods to strengthen steel, they also brought along canon and musket, rendering solid steel armor obsolete.