PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger Strategies

Malfurion
2015-11-17, 09:53 PM
Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. First off o wanted to thank you guys. It's been awesome reading and learning from you.

I'm going to be starting a new campaign and I was wanting to go Bladesinger. I want to stay pure Bladesinger because the sound of being a full spellcaster that is decent in Melee is very appealing to me. I know that I won't be a tank by any means, but what about a skirmisher?

We will be starting at level 3 and will level 4 in about 2 sessions. I plan on taking the mobile feat at level 4. This will allow me to run in strike with a Melee cantrips and run away without provoking a AoO. My strategy involves using these hit and run tactics plus bonus action spells like flaming sphere and Melf's minute meteors for damage. Does this sound like it'll be an effective strategy? I don't care about being top DPR, but I want to be able to hold my own and feel like I'm contributing to the party. I figure this will get even better with spells like haste that'll allow Me to move even faster. Plus I'll still have the big AOE spells and control spells if needed.

Here are my stats and spell list so far:

High Elf
10/16/14/16/13/12

Cantrips
Booming Blade
GreenFlame Blade
Sword Burst
Firebolt
Minor Illusion

1st Level Spells
Find familiar
Magic missle
Shield
Sleep
Absorb elements
Detect magic
Alarm
Thunderwave

2nd Level Spells
Misty Step
Flaming Sphere

My background I picked was spy because it fits my characters backstory and I enjoy the thought of a stealthy Mage. I would also like some suggestions on spells to that would work well with the above strategy and allow to mix up Melee and ranged attacks. Thanks guys for any help!

CNagy
2015-11-17, 10:10 PM
I would get Spell Sniper instead of Mobile and fight with a whip. It's finesse, it's reach, and with Spell Sniper you can hit them with GFB and BB at 10 feet instead of needing to get in close.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-17, 10:21 PM
Taking more than two damaging cantrips is overkill, and you'll be missing out on a lot of utility by focusing so strongly on combat. One of the Blades and Firebolt is plenty. I would at least cut Sword Burst. Maybe substitute Mage Hand, Friends, or Prestidigitation.

Your spell choices seem fine. Misty Step will work quite well. You don't have any debuffs, though, and those are quite powerful aspects of wizardry. Grease and Tasha's Hideous Laughter are both excellent.

Blink and Haste will be great for your style in a couple levels. I'd suggest taking Suggestion, Silent Image, or Phantasmal Force around 4th level. Out of combat utility is still worth spending slots on.

MeeposFire
2015-11-17, 10:52 PM
I would get Spell Sniper instead of Mobile and fight with a whip. It's finesse, it's reach, and with Spell Sniper you can hit them with GFB and BB at 10 feet instead of needing to get in close.

I don't think that works. As I recall those cantrips have a range of 5 feet not the range of your melee weapon.

Malifice
2015-11-18, 12:05 AM
I don't think that works. As I recall those cantrips have a range of 5 feet not the range of your melee weapon.

Spell sniper doubles your cantrips range.

Im not sure it was intended, but there it is.

AmbientRaven
2015-11-18, 01:48 AM

RAW yes, but, any reasonable Gm would allow them to be weapon range

Malifice
2015-11-18, 02:01 AM
Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. First off o wanted to thank you guys. It's been awesome reading and learning from you.

I'm going to be starting a new campaign and I was wanting to go Bladesinger. I want to stay pure Bladesinger because the sound of being a full spellcaster that is decent in Melee is very appealing to me. I know that I won't be a tank by any means, but what about a skirmisher?

We will be starting at level 3 and will level 4 in about 2 sessions. I plan on taking the mobile feat at level 4. This will allow me to run in strike with a Melee cantrips and run away without provoking a AoO. My strategy involves using these hit and run tactics plus bonus action spells like flaming sphere and Melf's minute meteors for damage. Does this sound like it'll be an effective strategy? I don't care about being top DPR, but I want to be able to hold my own and feel like I'm contributing to the party. I figure this will get even better with spells like haste that'll allow Me to move even faster. Plus I'll still have the big AOE spells and control spells if needed.

Here are my stats and spell list so far:

High Elf
10/16/14/16/13/12

Cantrips
Booming Blade
GreenFlame Blade
Sword Burst
Firebolt
Minor Illusion

1st Level Spells
Find familiar
Magic missle
Shield
Sleep
Absorb elements
Detect magic
Alarm
Thunderwave

2nd Level Spells
Misty Step
Flaming Sphere

My background I picked was spy because it fits my characters backstory and I enjoy the thought of a stealthy Mage. I would also like some suggestions on spells to that would work well with the above strategy and allow to mix up Melee and ranged attacks. Thanks guys for any help!

I suggest not playing your character as a fighter. Play it no different to any other wizard, aside from the fact you can help out in melee once your big boom spells are at an end (or you otherwise want to ration them) and youre relying on cantrips.

Coyote81
2015-11-18, 03:00 AM
Spell sniper doubles your cantrips range.

Im not sure it was intended, but there it is.

There is a Sage Advice twitter response that confirms that this works.