PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k books

Lord Herman
2007-06-01, 02:35 PM
Hi there,

Dawn of War has pulled me into the 40k universe, and now I want more. I understand there are quite a few novels set in the Warhammer 40k setting, but I'm not sure where to start.

So... any suggestions?

GolemsVoice
2007-06-01, 05:04 PM
I really approve the Eisenhorn Trilogy, or the Ravenor books. Even though I haven't read Ravenor, it strikes me as being well written and in keeping with the Warhammer universe. Furthermore, I enjoy reading Gaunt's Ghosts novels. While they are not the top of all writing skills and deep plot development, they are fun to read, exciting and all around well made.
But beware, as there are some Warhammer novels which are not as well written as said books. Still, explosive action is what everyone of those books will give you.

Neon Knight
2007-06-01, 09:45 PM
Personally, I enjoy the Gaunt's Ghosts series very much. But I enjoy the Commissar Cain series even more. Both are utterly fantastic.

Gaunt's Ghosts is heavily action packed, and has many stories with a great epic feel to them.

The Commissar Cain stories are about a cowardly commissar's attempts to avoid dangerous situations while maintaining a reputation for heroism. Alongside him is his foul-smelling not to bright aide Jurgen.

Both are written well enough that they won't make your eyes bleed. I'd recommend both heartily.

Cyrano
2007-06-01, 09:48 PM
Eisenhorn is by far the bestest of the lots of the lot of em all. Three books. Character development (le gasp!). Super cool inquisitorial DOOM. Daemon fights. Gigantic robots. Read it now. Ravenor, as the sequal series....thing... is also quite fine. Gaunt's Ghosts are good, but you can actually see them get better as the writing goes on, by which I mean the first one, to me, was middling, whereas the later ones were amazing. Those are what I suggest. Everything else is a risk (except, apparantly, Commissar Cain, which I have never read, but seems JUST LIKE the REAL imperial guard. Wootzoriorz.)

Lord Herman
2007-06-02, 04:35 AM
I think I'll go with Eisenhorn. I love the Inquisition (from a safe distance), and the reviews look promising.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

GolemsVoice
2007-06-02, 04:53 AM
You might want to check out www.blacklibrary.com for mor information on both authors and books.

Bryn
2007-06-02, 05:01 AM
In addition to Eisenhorn/Ravenor and Gaunt's Ghosts (although I haven't read much of the second series), I would also reccomend Fifteen Hours by Mitchel Scanlon. It's about the Imperial Guard, and it isn't so much relentless action as a look into the bleak and horrifying 41st millenium. It follows a farm boy who is conscripted into the Imperial Guard, a protagonist greatly different from the almost invincible heroes of Gaunt's Ghosts. I enjoyed it greatly.

Allandaros
2007-06-02, 09:34 AM
I will recommend Kill Team by Gav Thorpe for some two-fisted pulpy Imperial Guard goodness. Not very well-written, but a fun read.

Commissar Cain is like Flashman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashman) in Warhammer. Fun stuff.

Eldpollard
2007-06-02, 11:17 AM
I quite liked fire warrior. About surprisingly a fire warrior called Kais. The writing's ok enough.

Hazkali
2007-06-03, 07:16 AM
Execution Hour is a ripping yarn. It reads like a cross between Master and Commander and Star Trek with a liberal dose of apocalyptic fantasy thrown in as well.

:smallbiggrin: A good read.

Seaside
2007-06-03, 09:23 AM
It seems like you've already decided on the Eisenhorn trilogy, but consider this another vote for it. =P

Also, agreed - Execution Hour is pretty awesome.

Hoggy
2007-06-03, 12:58 PM
Execution Hour is the only one I've read.

I own it.

I love it.

Revlid
2007-06-03, 03:37 PM
I recommend the Commisar Cain, Gaunt's Ghost, Eisenhorn, and Ravenor Books.

3 of those series are by Dan Abnett. Know him, for he is your new god.

CaptainSam
2007-06-03, 04:23 PM
I've read the Last Chancers, which is the collected novels with the Kill Team. In the last book, it seemed that Gav Thorpe lost interest and finished it way too quick. But fun, though.

I've just picked up The Founding and Eisenhorn. I'm well aware that they won't be works of literature, but who cares? I just need something that I can read without engaging my brain sometimes.

If you want something even lighter, give the Blood Bowl books a try.

sombra1133
2007-06-03, 04:32 PM
Execution Hour is pretty good!
But "The Cleric Quintet" (Salvatore) is the best ever novel...:smallbiggrin:

TheSaylesMan
2007-06-06, 12:30 PM
The Ultramarines series and the Soul Drinkers series are good for those who like the Adeptus Astartes.

Bot for something really good, and really worthwhile, get into the Horus Heresy series. The ones I've read (the first three) are downright golden.

But please, get some other books under your belt first. You have to be a bit familiar with the 40k universe to truly appreciate what goes into these books.

GolemsVoice
2007-06-07, 01:31 PM
I always wanted to get my hands on the Horu's Heresy books, but I don't trust online shops. Meh.
Does anybody know where to get the last book of the Eisenhorn series? They do not sell it anymore at blacklibrary, and I want to know the end!

Dragor
2007-06-07, 01:44 PM
I always wanted to get my hands on the Horu's Heresy books, but I don't trust online shops. Meh.
Does anybody know where to get the last book of the Eisenhorn series? They do not sell it anymore at blacklibrary, and I want to know the end!

Try looking on Amazon. I checked there before I got the Omnibus.

Lord Herman
2007-06-08, 02:24 AM
I just received the Eisenhorn omnibus in the mail :smallbiggrin: Now I have to stop myself from reading it all in one go.

I bought it at Amazon; they're pretty trustworthy. They have quite a lot of Warhammer books.

Jewel Thief
2007-06-08, 02:57 AM
Not to sound like a broken record, but The Eisenhorn Trilogy. HE can't smile! ha! And... surprise. Gaunt's Ghosts. The first one rocked! There was so much action. But then the books got pretty wierd. Still, you fall in love with the characters (aww Corbec).

GolemsVoice
2007-06-08, 03:53 AM
Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that the last time I checked Amazon, the book was at 45€, a price that makes the book rather expensive.

Lord Herman
2007-06-08, 04:02 AM
That's a pretty ridiculous price. I got the trilogy for 7 pounds.

Lord Herman
2007-06-26, 03:58 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who suggested Eisenhorn to me. I'm about halfway Malleus now, and it's frickin' awesome!