PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Paladin of Freedom/Tyranny/Slaughter?

Heliomance
2015-11-18, 08:23 AM
The Paladin variants in Unearthed Arcana have the following line:

These paladin variants aren't meant to be unique classes in and of themselves, but rather alignment-based variations of the paladin.

Does that mean that it can be combined legally with the Prestige Paladin variant, to produce Prestige Paladins of other alignments?

Florian
2015-11-18, 08:26 AM

Does that mean that it can be combined legally with the Prestige Paladin variant, to produce Prestige Paladins of other alignments?

No. It simply means that everything that is flagged as being "Paladin Only" and not strictly based on being LG is fair game.

Dread_Head
2015-11-18, 08:44 AM
No. It simply means that everything that is flagged as being "Paladin Only" and not strictly based on being LG is fair game.

Does that include spells added to the Paladin list in other supplements? Eg. Rhino Rush (SC)?

Waazraath
2015-11-18, 09:57 AM
Does that include spells added to the Paladin list in other supplements? Eg. Rhino Rush (SC)?

Yes, it does.

WeaselGuy
2015-11-18, 10:46 AM

I don't really know if it means it can or can not (I don't really see why it couldn't be though), but I have actually made characters by combining the two together, with my DM's approval.

nedz
2015-11-18, 04:40 PM

Not by RAW, PP is LG only, but it's a reasonable adaptation.

Heliomance
2015-11-18, 06:16 PM
Not by RAW, PP is LG only, but it's a reasonable adaptation.
Paladin is LG only as well. The variants change that.

nedz
2015-11-18, 06:33 PM
Paladin is LG only as well. The variants change that.

But PP is not the same class as P; P has variants, PP does not.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-18, 06:38 PM
This one is solidly in "ask your DM" territory. Prestige Paladins only exist in a world without regular Paladins. Because your DM must already be altering the world in that way, they're the only one who can decide if they want to make further alterations.

Psyren
2015-11-19, 12:53 AM
This one is solidly in "ask your DM" territory. Prestige Paladins only exist in a world without regular Paladins. Because your DM must already be altering the world in that way, they're the only one who can decide if they want to make further alterations.

So, "Pray they alter it further?" :smalltongue:

(I'll show myself out)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-19, 01:05 AM

YES.

Let's say X = Paladin.

The Paladin of Freedom/Tyranny/Slaughter variants can be used to modify X.

When Prestige Paladin is used in a game setting, it is substituted for Paladin. Therefore, X = Prestige Paladin in those games.

The three alignment variants still modify X, but in this case they modify Prestige Paladin.

Do note, however, that by RAW the Prestige Paladin class is only used as a setting-wide replacement for the Paladin base class, they do not both exist in a single game.