PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psi-tech in Occult Realms

Slithery D
2015-11-18, 11:12 AM
The pdf for Occult Realms dropped today, and I figured the usual crowd interested in Psionics/Psychic stuff would be interested. There's some amazing stuff in here for Psychics, the first part I checked out.

Psi-Tech Discoveries can be learned by any psychic (presumably by visiting Numeria or learning from someone else who has) of any discipline in place of a feat or a phrenic amplification. Some brief descriptions follow.

Artificial Ascension: Permanently upload your mind to a robot, kill your body, and become an AI aggregate as your new type. You can't ever be resurrected by any means if destroyed, but you can body hop to other robots. Requires level 20, which means you have to retrain a feat or amplification since you don't get on at that level. If you've got access to some high CR robots, especially those with self repair or a good forcefield, this is arguably the most powerful option in the entire game. With a Greater Possession spell you don't even have to miss the ability to eat a meal or, you know.

Disease Transference: This is like the 6th level Withdraw Affliction spell, but less broad and available at level 7. Why.

Force Field: Swift action to spend up to 3 phrenic amplification points on temporary HP, max 10/20 HP, with the third point buying you fast healing on it. Can be a good option at low level if you don't want to cast False Life or use your pool on something else, I guess.

Kinetic Enhancement: This is exactly the same as the Knowledge is Power wizard arcane discovery. Intelligence bonus added to Strength checks and CMB/CMD.

Laser Blast: Convert spell slots into fire damage ranged touch attacks. You have to be 11th level and it's really damage inefficient after low levels, so I don't personally see the use except for "pew pew" cool laser beams out of your fingertips style.

Mind over Augmentation: Let's you load up on extra cybernetic implants beyond the usual Con/Int limitations.

Psychic Battery: Expend spell slots or phrenic pool to provide use (not storage/recharge) charges to tech items. 1 spell level or 2 points gets you one charge. This is great if you're playing Iron Gods or a Numeria campaign, learn to shoot those tech guns.

Radiation Resistance: It's harder for you to fail a radiation Fortitude save, if you care about that.

Techsmith: You can get a bonus and time savings on crafting a given category of tech items. Seems like an NPC crafter feat.

Laser Blast, Kinetic Enhancement, and Force Field have some use for all campaigns, the utility of the rest depends on your being in a tech focused campaign.

Next we have:

Mindtech Psychic Discipline
Phrenic Pool Ability: Wisdom
Bonus Spells: Technomancy, Protection from Technology, Irradiate, Malfunction, Lightning Arc, Destroy Robot, Memory of Function, Prismatic Wall, Time Stop.
Discipline Powers
Synergized Energy: You can regain a phrenic point when you recharge technology, including via the Psychic Battery psi-tech ability.
Attune Implants: Make your spells stronger 1/day if you have cybernetic implants.
Dominate Construct: Once per day do a modified version of Control Construct spell, but it does affect all constructs, not just robots.

It's pretty hard to see why you'd play anything else in an Iron Gods campaign.

I haven't looked at the rest of the book yet, but it looks really promising. Go buy it.