PDA

View Full Version : A few Halfling Monk questions

aphoticConniver
2015-11-18, 12:38 PM
Am I correct in thinking that a Small sized monk does full damage with fists? Or is the damage reduced?

Second question is a bit more subjective. Which martial art would a halfling Way of the Open Hand monk use? I was leaning towards Muay Thai, but I feel like elbow and shin strikes would be harder to do at a smaller size.

Arc-Royal
2015-11-18, 12:50 PM
1) Yes, you're correct. There's no different-sized weapon damage dice in 5e; the only difference character size makes is whether or not you have disadvantage when using weapons with the Heavy property.

2) I'm leaning a bit more toward Rex Kwon Do.

(I'm curious--what kind of halfling? Did you go with a stout halfling like my halfling monk, or a lightfoot halfling?)

ruy343
2015-11-18, 12:50 PM
The monk's unarmed damage/monk weapon damage amount is given as a feature of the class, and there is no rules text to state that the damage is reduced by being small. Flavor-wise, it's more about monks hitting vulnerable places on the enemy than about hitting them hard.

As for the martial art? Tae Kwon Do. Supposedly it was developed as a martial art to dismount opposing cavalry forces, requiring high, hard kicks. And besides, some halflings from some particular stories happen to have oversized, hairy feet... It all fits!

0oMooncalfo0
2015-11-18, 12:54 PM
I think muay thai sounds hilarious, actually! You'd be a wicked little halfling breaking tall people's shins--what's not to love? I'd dare say it's almost the stereotype.

To answer your mechanical question, however: you are correct. In 5e size small characters do not have reduced damage die like they have had in previous editions. Go forth and smash all the things, young halfling. :smallwink:

Malifice
2015-11-18, 12:58 PM
Am I correct in thinking that a Small sized monk does full damage with fists? Or is the damage reduced?

Second question is a bit more subjective. Which martial art would a halfling Way of the Open Hand monk use? I was leaning towards Muay Thai, but I feel like elbow and shin strikes would be harder to do at a smaller size.

Yes to Q1.

And for a real life martial art probably Aikido (which doesnt require strength and utilises your oppoenents momentum against them).

For a fantasy perspective Hin Fist (they're all Halflings) or whatever Yoda does.

JellyPooga
2015-11-18, 01:07 PM
Nah, Halfling Monks are all Luchadores.

Addaran
2015-11-18, 05:13 PM
Haflings Luchadores with mask of intimidation +3. :smalleek:
Now i want one....

L Space
2015-11-18, 06:09 PM
If anything I think Muay Thai would be MORE effective. All their opponent's shins and "squishy" bits are at the just the right level for a Halfling to strike.:smallbiggrin:

Somewhat more seriously, just go with whatever flavor you like best. Soft-styles (i.e. Aikido, Jujutsu) fits Halfling's more peaceful attitude or you can turn the concept on it's head and have them go with a more brutal Hard-style, like Muay Thai or Krav Maga. Personally, I like the thought of a normally kind acting Halfling going into combat mode and making a series of fierce, tiny strikes to an opponent's thighs and lower abdomen.

Edit:
Actually, this is pretty much the GREATEST idea ever. A flashy, charismatic Halfling badass? Yes, please!

krugaan
2015-11-18, 06:26 PM
Personally, I like the thought of a normally kind acting Halfling going into combat mode and making a series of fierce, tiny strikes to an opponent's thighs and lower abdomen.

that's not tae kwon do, that's rosham-do.

gettit? gettit?

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-19, 12:12 AM
Yes to Q1.

And for a real life martial art probably Aikido (which doesnt require strength and utilises your oppoenents momentum against them).

For a fantasy perspective Hin Fist (they're all Halflings) or whatever Yoda does.

Second to Aikido. Also, Judo, Jiu Jitsu (American more so than Brazilian). Wristlocks, Armbars, anything that employs leverage rather than brute strength.

L Space
2015-11-19, 04:07 PM
Second to Aikido. Also, Judo, Jiu Jitsu (American more so than Brazilian). Wristlocks, Armbars, anything that employs leverage rather than brute strength.
It's too bad initializing a grapple is so dependent on Strength (Athletics) and there's no option for using Dex instead, for the more wily grappler.

that's not tae kwon do, that's rosham-do.

gettit? gettit?
I both laughed out loud and rolled my eyes, well played!

EvanescentHero
2015-11-19, 05:35 PM
Wristlocks

I clearly spend too much time here, because my first thought was "What kind of warlock is that?"

krugaan
2015-11-19, 05:59 PM
I clearly spend too much time here, because my first thought was "What kind of warlock is that?"

I lol'ed at that.

Sigreid
2015-11-19, 06:48 PM
I think it's pretty clear they were thinking Shaolin Kung Fu as portrayed in the chop-saki movies.

krugaan
2015-11-19, 08:03 PM
To the tune of "Little Spanish Flea":

There was a little Halfling flea
He kicked and broke the ogre's knee
And when the ogre fell down
His bumpy ass on the ground
Boy did he ... die to the little Halfling flea

There was a little Halfling flea
An evil giant he did see
The halfing broke all it's toes
And stuck his foot up it's nose
Joyfully ... that's our little Halfling flea

And now our little Halfling flea
Is feared wherever he may be
Don't mock his hair or height
Or buddy, you really might
Disagree ... with our little Halfling flea.

Malifice
2015-11-19, 09:28 PM
It's too bad initializing a grapple is so dependent on Strength (Athletics) and there's no option for using Dex instead, for the more wily grappler.

You can use Acrobatics to get out of a grapple though.

IMO its an intentional design feature to keep manouvers in the realms of strength (keeps Strength on par with Dex).

Sigreid
2015-11-19, 11:43 PM

IMO its an intentional design feature to keep manouvers in the realms of strength (keeps Strength on par with Dex).

Don't forget the size limitation. Without a feat a halflilng can only grapple other small creatures. With a feat he can grapple medium. That's a serious limitation if you want to go that route.

Malifice
2015-11-20, 12:08 AM
Don't forget the size limitation. Without a feat a halflilng can only grapple other small creatures. With a feat he can grapple medium. That's a serious limitation if you want to go that route.

He can escape a Huge grapple with Dex acrobatics just fine is my point.

The Shadowdove
2015-11-20, 01:26 AM
What's cool as halfling monk is you can attack, walk through their legs, and attack from behind.

Its like fighting a chihuaha on roids who took karate lessons.

L Space
2015-11-22, 01:12 PM

Oh yea, a Halfling monk should have no problem getting out of a grapple, but he won't be all that good at the jointlocks and throws associated with Aikdio because they'll be based off his Strength (Athletics) score.

JakOfAllTirades
2015-11-22, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure they use Tae Kwon Leep.

Boot to the head!

Malifice
2015-11-22, 10:40 PM
Oh yea, a Halfling monk should have no problem getting out of a grapple, but he won't be all that good at the jointlocks and throws associated with Aikdio because they'll be based off his Strength (Athletics) score.

Yeah. Be a cool homebrew feat:

Acrobatic manouvers

You have learnt to use your agility and your enemies momentum against them

Benefit:

You get +1 to your Dexterity score to a maximum score of 20
You can use Actobatics instead of Athletics to initiate a grapple, shove or trip combat manouver.
If you use the dodge action on your turn, and an enemy within 5' of you misses you with a melee attack before the start of your next turn, you can use your reaction to attempt a grapple, shove or trip combat manouver against them.

ad_hoc
2015-11-23, 01:40 AM

Acrobatic manouvers

Benefit:

You can use Actobatics instead of Athletics to initiate a grapple, shove or trip combat manouver.
If you use the dodge action on your turn, and an enemy within 5' of you misses you with a melee attack before the start of your next turn, you can use your reaction to attempt a grapple, shove or trip combat manouver against them.

Nice feat but I think the second ability pushes it past the half feat mark. Getting something to use your reaction on like that is quite good.

Maybe drop the +1 and add that the opponent loses the rest of their movement if you are successful? That way your shove (you can drop the 'trip' part since it is part of shove) can be a useful option.

Malifice
2015-11-23, 02:40 AM
Nice feat but I think the second ability pushes it past the half feat mark. Getting something to use your reaction on like that is quite good.

Maybe drop the +1 and add that the opponent loses the rest of their movement if you are successful? That way your shove (you can drop the 'trip' part since it is part of shove) can be a useful option.

I ummed and ahhed about the half feat.

First dot point was is kind of a feat tax (weapon finesse-like) so I went the +1 Dex to compensate.

I like your option though.

Arc-Royal
2015-11-23, 12:27 PM
Actually, the Grappler feat was errata'd to state that the third benefit (the one about creatures one size larger than you no longer auto-succeeding on checks to escape your grapple) refers to a nonexistent rule and therefore should be ignored, so grapple away at that ogre!

I imagine it as finding pressure points that make it too painful for them to do anything other than what you want them to do. XD

L Space
2015-11-23, 01:24 PM

Acrobatic manouvers

Benefit:

I like it! Fits the Aikido/Jujutsu type monk perfectly.

Actually, the Grappler feat was errata'd to state that the third benefit (the one about creatures one size larger than you no longer auto-succeeding on checks to escape your grapple) refers to a nonexistent rule and therefore should be ignored, so grapple away at that ogre!

I imagine it as finding pressure points that make it too painful for them to do anything other than what you want them to do. XD

Good to know. The errata combined with Malifice's feat means that a Halfling Luchador just became a lot more viable :smallbiggrin:.