PDA

View Full Version : Populating a dungeon with encounters

Smorgonoffz
2015-11-18, 02:57 PM
I'm dming a campaign with 3 level 2 Pc and 2 level 3(Npc), right now they found the map to a abandoned outpost of dwarven origins. Said outpost has been occupied by a mixed force of Kobolds/Orcs/Hobgoblins.

Since i don't fully understand the new encounter xp system i'd like some help in calculating how many monsters should be there( the dungeon will be the only place were they'll combat that day)and also some traps

Encounter budget

Easy: 300xp

Medium: 500xp

Hard: 900xp

Deadly: 1400xp

for the dungeon do i have to choose one of these difficulties or i can alternate? Like Easy-med-hard-deadly?

After i've choosen the "budget" i choose the number of monsters based on that?

Example: i choose deadly i've got 1400xp to divide between all dungeon monsters?

Any help is appreciated

Inevitability
2015-11-18, 03:10 PM
The encounter budget is per encounter, though if the PC's are going to have many encounters in a row with no opportunity to take a short rest in between you might want to consider making them less hard.

For example, say you want to start with an easy battle, then add a hard battle in another room, and a medium battle in a third room.

For the first room, you'd be looking at 300 xp. This means you can, for example, put two orcs in there (100 + 100 xp, times 1.5 because you are fighting two monsters).

For the second room, you need 900 xp. This is equal to twelve kobolds (12 x 25, times three for 11-14 monsters).

The third room could then be filled with, say, an Orc Eye of Gruumsh. You'd end up a little below the encounter budget, but that isn't bad.

Helpful links:
-The DM basic rules (http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMBasicRulesv.0.3_PrinterFriendly.pdf). (encounter creation is at the back)
-The Kobold Fight Club Encounter Calculator (http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder).

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-18, 04:31 PM
Dire_Stirge is right. To be absolutely clear:

The party should face multiple encounters between rests.

You must vary the difficulty between encounters. If you don't, things will get boring and predictable.

Once you have the budget for the encounter, you can work backwards to calculate the number and CR of monsters. For example...

Budget = 1,000
1 monster = 1,000 (CR 4-ish)
2 monsters = 1,000/(2*1.5) = 333 each (between CR 1 and 2)
3 monsters = 1,000/(3*2) = 167 each (between CR 1/2 and 1)
4 monsters = 1,000/(4*2) = 125 each (about CR 1/2)
5 monsters = 1,000/(5*2) = 100 each (CR 1/2)
etc.

Remember that the difficulties are only a guideline. If the monsters have an advantage due to the terrain or the element of surprise, they may prove tougher than the XP budget predicts.

Malifice
2015-11-18, 10:05 PM
I'm dming a campaign with 3 level 2 Pc and 2 level 3(Npc), right now they found the map to a abandoned outpost of dwarven origins. Said outpost has been occupied by a mixed force of Kobolds/Orcs/Hobgoblins.

First you need to determine your encounter budget. I see you have already done this here:

Encounter budget

Easy: 300xp

Medium: 500xp

Hard: 900xp

Deadly: 1400xp

Those figures are correct for 3 x 2nd level PC's and 2 x 3rd level PC's. You're off to a good start.

Next you need to select a difficulty for your encounter. You should aim for between the medium to hard difficulties for your encounters [so in this case, going by your PC's encounter budget above, every encounter in your dungeon should contain not less than 500xp, and not more than 1399xp worth of monsters)

A single encounter with 4 x Orcs (100 Xp each) is 400xp (adjusted for size to 800xp as there are multiple monsters). This makes it a medium challenge (more than 500xp and less than 900xp) for your PC's.

Now you just rinse and repeat. Create 6-8 seperate blocks of monsters, with each block valued at between 500 and 1400xp, and plonk each of those blocks down in seperate rooms.

Example: i choose deadly i've got 1400xp to divide between all dungeon monsters?

No, for a deadly encounter you spend 1400+xp for just that encounter.

Here is a quick dungeon featuring Kobolds and Orcs

Encounter 1: 6 x Kobolds and 2 x Thugs (elite kobolds) Adjusted difficulty value 875xp. XP to award = 350xp (reuse this encounter as often as you want)
Encounter 2: 1 x Cult fanatic (Kobold shaman) and 4 x Kobolds 1100xp adjusted difficulty, 550xp to award
Encounter 3: 1 x Bandit captain with pack tactics, (Kobold boss), 2 x Thugs (elite Kobolds). Adjusted difficulty 1300xp, xp to award: 650xp
[encourage your PC's to short rest if they havent already done so at this point]
Encounter 4: 2 x Orcs, and 1 x pet giant boar. 1300xp adjusted difficulty. Xp to award = 650xp.
Encounter 5: 4 x Orc guards. Adjusted xp value = 800. XP to award = 400xp (standard encounter, fill any rooms with this)
Encounter 6: 1 x Orog champion, riding a 1 x Worg - adjusted xp value = 835 Xp, award 550xp
[encourage your PC's to short rest if they havent already done so at this point]
Encounter 7: Orc eye of Grummsh and 2 x Orc guards. Adjusted xp value = 1,300. XP to award = 650xp
Encounter 8: 1 x Orc war chief, and 2 x elite Orcs (with double HP) 2,2500 xp, deadly encounter, Xp to award = 1500

You want to scatter a few traps between the Kobolds (theyre famous for them) and the Orcs too. I'd also inlcude a secret chamber somewhere that neither side knows about that contains an ancient dwarven treasure (magical battleaxe of dwarven make that deals an extra 1d6 damage vs Orcs, Goblins and Giants, and some gems).

Thats a tough dungeon by the way. Inexperienced PC's could get messed up pretty quick if they hit an encounter at less than full strength, or with poor tactics. Go easy on them with short rests, and probably allow a long rest in between wiping out the Kobolds, and taking on the Orcs.

Smorgonoffz
2015-11-19, 09:46 AM
Thanks to everyone who explained the encounter system, i was too pampered by 3.5.

I've got a slightly better grasp now

Also which loot generation method. i'll wrote the two methods i thought to use and then the one i choose:

A)roll once on the appropiate table for each monster (Time consuming)

B) roll once on the treasure hoard table of the highest level monster.

Another thing to ponder on, the loot table for level 4 monster, might allows pc to have a +2 item or a powerful non combat item as the bag of hoarding. What's your opinion on this?

Malifice
2015-11-20, 12:13 AM
Another thing to ponder on, the loot table for level 4 monster, might allows pc to have a +2 item or a powerful non combat item as the bag of hoarding. What's your opinion on this?

Yeah - there is an exponential jump when it gets to 5th on those charts.

I use 1 x 'Horde' roll every levels worth of advancement, and just use the individual treasure for each encounter as a whole.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-20, 02:10 AM
Thanks to everyone who explained the encounter system, i was too pampered by 3.5.

I've got a slightly better grasp now

Also which loot generation method. i'll wrote the two methods i thought to use and then the one i choose:

A)roll once on the appropiate table for each monster (Time consuming)

B) roll once on the treasure hoard table of the highest level monster.

I use the first for individual monsters and random encounters, but only about half the time. Some monsters don't carry cash, after all. Sometimes I replace rolled gold with a single gemstone of similar value.

For boss monsters and quest rewards, I roll up hoards. Sometimes I split a hoard into multiple locations. Because rolling hoards is so much fun, I sometimes have hidden bonus ones that can be found if the PCs explore off the beaten track a bit.

I also wrote a random scroll generator in excel - very useful for hoards. It's in my Spell Matrix (under misc in my homebrew sig).

djreynolds
2015-11-20, 04:40 AM
I use mercenary bands in competition with the party and it works. It is a way for the PCs to really measure themselves vs real opponents. It is a way to show party vulnerabilities and areas they may wish to improve. And since they are not tied to the actual campaign, they have no stake and can live or die or retreat. It also gives me a way to provide useful gear to the players.

And sometimes these groups can help out.

Smorgonoffz
2015-11-20, 08:33 AM
i think i'll mix the two methods in the end, roll a hoard for the Final encounter and once for each monster in the dungeon XD( yes i've got time to waste)

I rolled all of the treasure for each encounter, it's quite a lot of money but it shoul'd be share between 5 people so it's ok.

Plus a hoard table , since theyll'be 3rd level and 1/2 after a full dungeon clear: Some nice money plus some potions, magic ammo(one use only)a mithral shirt. Some coool but not to overpowered stuff.

Also i've put :

-A secret dungeon within the dungeon

-A secret zone themed with the dungeon( old dwarf temple)