PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hippymancer Level 5 Build

LordOfCain
2015-11-18, 08:41 PM
Race: Unseelie Fey Human
Class: Divine Bard 3/Marshal 2
Traits: Polite and Honest
Flaws: Pathetic (Strength) and Pathetic (Constitution)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Peace, Vow of Poverty, Defender of the Homeland, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Alluring, Vow of Nonviolence, and Nymph’s Kiss
Strength: 4
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 4
Intelligence: 8
Charisma: 20
Wisdom: 14
Skills: Bard: Diplomacy, Bluff, Concentration, Perform (Oratory), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), and Sense Motive
Marshal: Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Concentration
Auras: Motivate Charisma and Motivate Care

What are the statistics for this build? (Skill bonuses and AC)
EDIT: Edited build to allow entry into Apostle of Peace
EDIT NO. 2: Ahhh!!! Forgot to account for ability bonus at Lv. 4.

LordOfCain
2015-11-18, 08:46 PM
Additionally, what levels to take next? The race and initial classes are open to discussion but please no dragonwraught kobold cheese or really any kobold cheese.

nedz
2015-11-18, 08:51 PM
Didn't Gandhi start out as a lawyer ?
Which would be Expert I guess ?

He should aim for Apostle of Peace (Book of Exalted Deeds p51) for which he also needs Vow of Nonviolence — which is appropriate anyway.

Why hasn't he taken Vow of Poverty ?

LordOfCain
2015-11-18, 08:58 PM
Didn't Gandhi start out as a lawyer ?
Which would be Expert I guess ?

He should aim for Apostle of Peace (Book of Exalted Deeds p51) for which he also needs Vow of Nonviolence — which is appropriate anyway.

Why hasn't he taken Vow of Poverty ?

Trying to be an optimized nonviolent poverty social build.
He did take vow of poverty....

LordOfCain
2015-11-18, 09:11 PM
Maybe Human Paragon later on? Or maybe chaotic good and a two level Paladin of Freedom dip. One gives +2 Charisma, the other gives +Charisma bonus to saves. Maybe both? That would be Divine Bard 3/Marshal 2/Paladin of Freedom 2/Human Paragon 2/Apostle of Peace X.

Ellowryn
2015-11-18, 09:35 PM
Er, just an FYI but Ghandi had very good Con. He could, and did, go weeks without eating at a time even into his 70's, not something someone with a pathetic amount of health could do. And despite how he is often portrayed he was not poor (yes, you are going for apostle of peace which requires it now so its fine), he just wasn't rich either.

Might as well go all 3 levels of human paragon though, gives you a +2 bonus to any stat and you had a free level in the build anyways (apostle is 10 levels long).

Illven
2015-11-18, 09:53 PM
Race: Unseelie Fey Human
Class: Divine Bard 3/Marshal 2
Traits: Polite and Honest
Flaws: Pathetic (Strength) and Pathetic (Constitution)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Peace, Vow of Poverty, Defender of the Homeland, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Alluring, Vow of Nonviolence, and Nymph’s Kiss
Strength: 4
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 4
Intelligence: 8
Charisma: 20
Wisdom: 14
Skills: Bard: Diplomacy, Bluff, Concentration, Perform (Oratory), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), and Sense Motive
Marshal: Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Concentration
Auras: Motivate Charisma and Motivate Care

What are the statistics for this build? (Skill bonuses and AC)
EDIT: Edited build to allow entry into Apostle of Peace
EDIT NO. 2: Ahhh!!! Forgot to account for ability bonus at Lv. 4.

0/10. Lacks Nuclear weaponry.

:smalltongue:

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-18, 09:57 PM
0/10. Lacks Nuclear weaponry.

:smalltongue:

I am glad I am not the only one who thought this.

Also why is Ghandi an evil fey?

LordOfCain
2015-11-18, 10:21 PM
He had to redeem himself...? I called this the Gandhi build because of all of the vows from the BoED

ben-zayb
2015-11-18, 10:32 PM
Did the British know that Gandhi was a Marshal?

EDIT: You might want to add Dragon Shaman levels. This seriously needs more passive resistance

Âmesang
2015-11-18, 11:11 PM
Give him the Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat; because if there's anything a pacifist needs, it's a crocodile, Gandhi.

FocusWolf413
2015-11-18, 11:16 PM
You need a level of barbarian so he can go into a murderous rage when people are nice to him.

nedz
2015-11-19, 05:09 AM
He did take vow of poverty....

Oops, sorry missed that.

Thurbane
2015-11-19, 07:01 AM
I get what you're trying to do with the build...but if this is a PC build, 4 Con is baaad.

ben-zayb
2015-11-19, 07:37 AM
I get what you're trying to do with the build...but if this is a PC build, 4 Con is baaad.
An Undead or a Construct Gandhi wouldn't have Con, though.

nedz
2015-11-19, 08:06 AM
I get what you're trying to do with the build...

I got it too, but naming a build after a real life person is only going to invite baggage.

LordOfCain
2015-11-19, 08:49 AM
In order to avoid conflict, I hereby redub this the Hippymancer build.

LordOfCain
2015-11-19, 08:59 AM
My revised build is Unseelie Feytouched Human Human Paragon 3/Divine Bard 2/Marshal 2/Paladin of Freedom 2/Dragon Shaman 1/Apostle of Peace 10.

But I cannot think of any feats other than the ones in the original post and Celestial Scion.

nedz
2015-11-19, 09:44 AM
Why are you taking Human Paragon 2 and 3 before you have any spellcasting to advance ?

Also hippies are definitely not unseelie — sorry more baggage :smallamused:

Also, since you mentioned Fey, why not consider
Half Fey (1) /Divine Bard 2/Marshal 2/ Half Fey (+1) / Paladin of Freedom 2 / Apostle of Peace 10 / X 2
Gets you lots of enchanting SLAs, Cha and Dex boosts and Butterfly wings.
Hippies love Butterfly Wings.

LordOfCain
2015-11-19, 10:08 AM
What about Divine Bard 2/Marshal 2/Dragon Shaman 1/Human Paragon 3/Paladin of Freedom 2/Apostle of Peace 10.
Make him a teenager and he can be from an evil race. #RebelliousHippymancerFTW

LordOfCain
2015-11-19, 10:39 AM
Edited Build: Unseelie Feytouched Human Divine Bard 1/Psion (Telepathy) 1/Marshal 2/Dragon Shaman 1/Human Paragon 3/Paladin of Freedom 2/Apostle of Peace 10. Str: 4 Dex: 16 Con: 4 Int: 8 Wis: 19 Cha: 22 (Inertial Armor from Psion.) I am still missing feats for Vow of Poverty and the regular progression. Please help.

Twurps
2015-11-21, 12:28 PM
Edited Build: Unseelie Feytouched Human Divine Bard 1/Psion (Telepathy) 1/Marshal 2/Dragon Shaman 1/Human Paragon 3/Paladin of Freedom 2/Apostle of Peace 10. Str: 4 Dex: 16 Con: 4 Int: 8 Wis: 19 Cha: 22 (Inertial Armor from Psion.) I am still missing feats for Vow of Poverty and the regular progression. Please help.

Feats:
From VoP: Nimbus of light seems most fitting (+2 to diplomacy). There a few more vows. Most, if not all would fit thematically I think. (vows are: Purity, absinence, chastity, obedience)
Also: exalted turning and gift of grace(share you divine grace with allies) seem nice in your build. I would recomend exalted smite, but I'm not sure you'll be smiting.. with the nonviolence and all...
Having said that: subduing strike (for melee), and nonlethal substitution (for magic) lets you convert damage to nonlethal. Giving you better combat potential.

For regular feats: You have casting up to 9th level spells, turn undead, and a good CHA. Take Divine metamagic, either for DMM persist, or for DMM quicken. Fill the remaining slots with 'extra turning'. For every 2 of those, you get to persist an aditional spell. And as far as I'm aware, very few 2feats are worth a persisted 'greater visage of the deity'.

Dropping any 1 of your levels for an alternative pool to power DMM would greatly increase the power of the build. 1 level of cleric with the 'rebuke dragon' ACF doubles your turn attempt to power DMM, and gets you 2 domains. (planning domain gives 'extend spell' which is a prereq for DMM. undeath domain grants 'extra turning')

Last, but certainly not least: Don't, for the love of Pelor, play this character with a -3 penalty to CON. Apostle of peace only gives you 1d4HP. Which means you're stuck at 1hp per level. (I think that's the minimum). There's a good chance your character won't go over 25 HP in his entire career. trip once, and your dead. Also: traps don't care for your aura of calm, or diplomatic appearence.

Thurbane
2015-11-21, 04:52 PM
Divine Bard 3/Marshal 2 with Con 4 has (3d6+2d8-15) 9 hit points on average. I know you've updated the build, but just making a general point here.

Even if you manage to avoid getting hit by monsters, you are very likely to get wiped out by area attacks.

P.F.
2015-11-21, 10:22 PM
hippies are definitely not unseelie — sorry

I've been on tour before and I can say with absolute certainty that there are both seelie and unseelie hippies.

Hippies love Butterfly Wings.

No denying it.

Also, even though the effect is paltry, you could take the vow of veganism ... which would help explain that absurdly low Constitution. Seriously, no other ability score could possibly be worth having a con score that low. If you absolutely need a low Con for role-playing purposes, make it an 8 or a 9, not a 4.