PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holm's Ability Scores?

Xuldarinar
2015-11-18, 08:59 PM
Really, as the title. What would his ability scores ultimately be? Im sure its been done before, but one should consider all the feats he has been depicted as accomplishing. For instance; this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vgHK96N8Y) could serve as an example to consider for strength, being the score I am most curious of.

Psyren
2015-11-18, 09:16 PM
Well that's the rub, isn't it? What's the strength check to unbend a poker?

There was pretty visible strain so he's probably only a bit above average. Maybe 14?

Xuldarinar
2015-11-18, 09:22 PM
Well, what is it to bend an iron rod? Would a 14 be able to do it?

IN pathfinder, the closest thing I can find is to bend an iron bar, which has a DC of 24. I imagine unbending something, especially given his technique, would be a little more difficult.

Psyren
2015-11-18, 09:29 PM
Actually, the 24 is to bend bars. As in, a prison cell, with one in each hand, so that you can step through the hole and escape.

So a single poker would most likely be less than that. How much less? Can't say.

Thurbane
2015-11-18, 10:00 PM
Depends on exactly which interpretation/version of Holmes you mean.

If we're assuming an NPC Expert with the non-elite array, I would say: Str 9 Dex 10 Con 8 Int 13 (15*) Wis 12 Cha 11, with all increases going to Int.

If we're assuming a Factotum with the elite array, maybe Str 10 Dex 12 Con 8 Int 15 (17*) Wis 14 Cha 13, with all increases going to Int.

*Maybe with the Prodigy (Intelligence) NPC ability from DMG2.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-18, 10:04 PM
A Str 9 or 10 wouldn't be able to do that, I'm sure.

And I'm sure with his drug use, a Con 8 would be ill-advised.

Also considering he is an adept bare-knuckle...

Thurbane
2015-11-18, 11:14 PM
As I said, depends which Holmes you are talking about.

If you mean the Robert Downey Jr version, then yes, needs higher physical stats.

Also, prolonged substance abuse would tend to drive Con down...

Xuldarinar
2015-11-19, 12:43 AM
Ok, i'll give you one that.

stanprollyright
2015-11-19, 01:21 AM
If we're assuming a Factotum with the elite array, maybe Str 10 Dex 12 Con 8 Int 15 (17*) Wis 14 Cha 13, with all increases going to Int.

This. Though I've never considered Sherlock to be particularly charismatic, just right all the time. Alertness, Investigator, Quick Reconnoiter, Skill Focus (Gather info), (Search), (Spot), and (Sense Motive), with the relevant skills maxed out and most of the rest of his ranks in knowledges.

Thurbane
2015-11-19, 02:07 AM
Also, for feats of Strength (or Dexterity), don't forget that a Factotum can add his Int bonus with the Brains Over Brawn class feature.

Flickerdart
2015-11-19, 10:46 AM
Holmes is pretty charismatic when he chooses to be, especially in non-Cumberbatch adaptations.

Chronos
2015-11-19, 10:51 AM
Holmes certainly is quite good at a number of Charisma-based skills, including Disguise, Bluff, and Perform (both Acting and String Instruments). It's hard to say, though, how much of this is base Cha and how much is skill ranks.

As for his bare-knuckle prowess, every time we've seen it demonstrated, the opponent has been either flat-footed or flanked, so he could just be doing a lot of Sneak Attack. That still doesn't account for straightening the poker, though (which, in the books, is explicitly said to be more difficult than bending it). That requires either actual strength, or Brains Over Brawn.

Psyren
2015-11-19, 11:03 AM
Or the PF Investigator's Studied Target/Studied Strike, which seems modeled after movie Holmes' analytical fighting ability.