PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rod/Staff that activates multiple affects simultaneously?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-18, 09:01 PM
Is there a RAW way to get a rod (preferably) or a staff to activate multiple affects/spells at the same time? It needs to be something that can be managed with UMD. I am looking to cast Breath Weapon Admixture 3 times on the same breath.

Thanks in Advance!

Bronk
2015-11-18, 10:36 PM
There's plenty of this sort of thing for wands, but I've never seen anything for rods or staves. Maybe you'll need the energy substitution and admixture feats to get close, or extra actions?

Beheld
2015-11-19, 12:04 AM
I think there is a Breath Weapon Admixture feat that adds to the CD time of the breath weapon instead, and since that's a feat, under the principles of the Metamagic rods you could ask for a rod that does that, and then two 1.5x costs to add additional effects for more versions of it on the same staff. As a non spell, but a feat, you could use it as a nonaction to apply it to your breath. Or you could get two rods of the feat and one of the spell. It does add time to the cd though, so if you are a Dragonfire Adept you either may not be able to use it, or you might not want to use it that way.

mabriss lethe
2015-11-19, 12:16 AM
Complete Mage (I think) has the Rod of Many Wands. It's been a while since I looked it up, so I don't remember the specifics, but it's basically a triple barreled wand shotgun. You can load 3 wands into it and burn extra charges from each of them to activate two or all three of them all at the same time. Iirc, there might be some action economy limitations that will make it less useful, but as I said, it's been a while since I looked it up.

EDIT TO ADD: just looked it up, it requires a full round action to activate, but when it does, it fires off every wand loaded into it (you don't have to load all 3 chambers) When it goes off, each wand gets drained of a number of charges equal to the number of wands loaded into it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-19, 12:41 AM
1. Activate Temporal Acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/temporalAcceleration.htm) (17 pp, manifester level 17), even from an item it's a swift action (per the Rules Compendium), and this gives you three entire rounds' worth of actions.
2. Activate your Breath Weapon Admixture item three times, which again is a swift action per the Rules Compendium, and you also have three more standard actions and three more move actions to use. Since Temporal Acceleration rounds are apparent time it won't count against the 1-round duration of this spell.
3. When the Temporal Acceleration ends, you still have your full turn in the initiative order, minus your swift action, which you can use to activate your triple-admixed breath weapon.

Flickerdart
2015-11-19, 10:49 AM
Since Temporal Acceleration rounds are apparent time it won't count against the 1-round duration of this spell.
Powers' durations still expire in apparent time. Otherwise this line would make no sense: "However, a power you manifest that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of your temporal acceleration has its normal effect on creatures in the area once this power ends."