PDA

View Full Version : Festival games!

Proven_Paradox
2007-06-01, 08:52 PM
((Players in my campaign, please stay out--I know a few of you surf these boards.))

So, my next game is going to mostly be the PCs at a gigantic festival. For the most part, I'd like to avoid actual deadly combat for this game, but at the same time I still want to give money and XP. So, most of the game is going to consist of different festival events that players can get money and such from. I've already got a sword-fighting contest for my meleers, an archery contest for the ranger, and a performance contest for our bard. I'm also working on the mechanics for a big (but low level) arcane caster showdown too.

I fear I'm going to come up short, however. So, I come to the great minds here on the GitP boards to ask for some suggestions for other festival games that I might have players participate in.

The party consists of a bard, barbarian, ranged ranger, sorcerer, ninja, and a favored soul of a god of gambling and risks, all second level.

I'd like any events you can think of (and mechanics would be appreciated too, but I can come up with something for any idea).

The ninja isn't the type who'd get into the festival; I imagine I'll have to improvise a break-in or assassination for him, but either way I can manage. For the favored soul, however, I'm not sure what to do. She'll likely do some gambling while she's there; her gold pouches are full of loot from saving a nearby town from goblins (among other things). The thing is this is supposed to last for at least two, preferably three days before the big finale I have planned, and just gambling isn't quite enough. So, if you have a suggestion that would apply well to this character, I'd be doubly grateful.

Jasdoif
2007-06-02, 01:14 AM
Complete Warrior has several pages worth of "sporting combat"; with mechanics to cover jousts, gladiator matches, archery contests, "conjurers chess"; and the Alabaster Cup, a three-day tournament with seven various events in it.

Complete Arcane has a similar, but smaller, section on "tournaments arcane" after a couple pages on spell duels. Competitions like crafting the most fantastic illusion might appeal to the less blaster-y casters more then a conventional wizard's duel will.

Favored Soul of a deity of gambling, huh? If the festival is sizable enough for the region it's in, a gambling tournament would be an ideal place for other followers of the deity to meet in...or perhaps the deity shows up personally (in disguise of course) and your character can't figure out why this stranger knows so much about her, and gets a subtle hint to track him. Assuming this deity is playful and mischievous (like gambling), there's much fun to be had.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-02, 01:23 AM
Speed-drinking contest.
Races.
Single, nonlethal combat with singing constructs.
Spur of the moment dates with hot but needy girls.

God dammit, I play too many JRPGs.

Artemician
2007-06-02, 02:11 AM
Speed-drinking contest.
Races.
Single, nonlethal combat with singing constructs.
Spur of the moment dates with hot but needy girls.

God dammit, I play too many JRPGs.

You can never play too many jRPGs :smalltongue:

Proven_Paradox
2007-06-02, 11:17 AM
Referencing Chrono Trigger is never a bad thing.

Anyway, I think I'll look into Complete Warrior for that, then. I wasn't aware that was in there; sounds like exactly the kind of thing I need. I'm still trying to think of something more for the favored soul, though. She'll do some gambling, but I want to give her more options than that.

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-02, 12:01 PM
An obstacle course with slow traps and pit traps that are cushioned at the bottom. Have "talented" commoners (adventurers without weapons with feats like run and lightning reflexes) compete and see if they give your little party a (literal) run for their money.