PDA

View Full Version : Player tasted Dust of Dryness

Athedia
2015-11-18, 11:46 PM
One of my players just stuck a finger into a barrel of dust of dryness (there to help solve a puzzle) and tasted it. I am assuming the immediate reaction would be an intense drying of the mouth but what else? Should she take damage? Make a fort save? What would other DMs do in this situation? The description of the dust doesn't cover this and I don't want to straight out kill her character (they are nearing the boss of the dungeon and I can't introduce a new character right now, plus she is retiring this character and bringing in a new one after the dungeon).

May your players never do this to you.

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-19, 12:17 AM
I would use the Dehydration rules from Sandstorm page 15. That should be enough of an inconvenience to discourage the player from future experimentation of this sort but probably won't be lethal.

Athedia
2015-11-19, 12:22 AM
I would use the Dehydration rules from Sandstorm page 15. That should be enough of an inconvenience to discourage the player from future experimentation of this sort but probably won't be lethal.

Thanks! Reading those now. The worst part is this player is a chemistry major.... She should know better than to put random things in her mouth.

Zombulian
2015-11-19, 12:34 AM
Thanks! Reading those now. The worst part is this player is a chemistry major.... She should know better than to put random things in her mouth.

Waft with the hand! WAFT

DrMotives
2015-11-19, 12:41 AM
Could be worse. Player could have tasted the old "ooze in a bucket/barrel" trick.

Shalist
2015-11-19, 01:10 AM
"...And that's how I won the drinking contest against two dragons and an entire clan of dwarves!"

Tohsaka Rin
2015-11-19, 02:07 AM
"But that water elemental will never be the same again..."

Dusk Raven
2015-11-19, 02:08 AM
I'm not familiar with Dust of Dryness but I can safely assume what it does, but I don't know its potency. But what I would have happen is that it utterly dries up all saliva in the mouth, probably dies out the flesh just a little (I assume from the fact that no consequences erupted from actually touching the dust that it won't dry out the flesh beneath the skin, so it basically just dries any liquids it directly touches). At most, it would do 1 point of damage. However, I would phrase your description such that the consequences are uncomfortable to even consider and imply that severe discomfort will continue unless the character immediately finds a literal mouthful of water. Unless the dust is really clingy, I assume there wouldn't have been all that much sticking to the finger in the first place.

Athedia
2015-11-19, 02:56 AM
Well they are in a flooded mine literally infested with Water elementals. So that shouldn't be too hard to do.

As for what the Dust of Dryness does, one 'dose' can absorb up to 15 cubic of water which forms a pellet that can release the water at a later time. I estimate that to be a handful of dust.

XionUnborn01
2015-11-19, 03:35 AM
You could always cause it do do 1 point of dessication damage because it dries them out so much. It's not mechanically impactful but is flavorful and it usually doesn't come up in non-It's Hot Outside Campaigns.

xyianth
2015-11-19, 04:12 AM
If they tasted it and spit it out, I'd have it do 1 dessication damage and allow a DC 10 Fort save vs dehydration.
If they swallowed it, I'd have it deal 2d8 dessication damage and allow a DC 20 Fort save vs dehydration.

Rapidly dehydrating one's mouth is discomforting, but unlikely to cause any serious harm. Rapidly dehydrating the mouth, throat, and stomach lining however would likely have serious repercussions. The damage and save DCs are just something I made up, not cited from anything so you could adjust them as desired.

Speaking as a DM, adventurers should know better than to put strange substances in their mouth. Those that don't tend not to survive long.

Athedia
2015-11-19, 04:16 AM
I decided to set the DC for a constitution save at 15 since it wasn't a full dose but she did swallow it. Until she gets enough water it will be 1d6 damage per hour (nonlethal) and she is fatigued until the day after she finally drinks enough.

Thanks for all the advice. The worst part is she is DMing a game with me in it... and she really knows better. *facepalm*

khadgar567
2015-11-19, 04:17 AM
Well they are in a flooded mine literally infested with Water elementals. So that shouldn't be too hard to do.

As for what the Dust of Dryness does, one 'dose' can absorb up to 15 cubic of water which forms a pellet that can release the water at a later time. I estimate that to be a handful of dust.
Side question what is dc of grappling water element and how can pc use impromptu swalow whole attack on water element

Mystral
2015-11-19, 04:27 AM
One of my players just stuck a finger into a barrel of dust of dryness (there to help solve a puzzle) and tasted it. I am assuming the immediate reaction would be an intense drying of the mouth but what else? Should she take damage? Make a fort save? What would other DMs do in this situation? The description of the dust doesn't cover this and I don't want to straight out kill her character (they are nearing the boss of the dungeon and I can't introduce a new character right now, plus she is retiring this character and bringing in a new one after the dungeon).

May your players never do this to you.

Something similiar happened in a game I was in (it was accidental, though). There were no mechanical repercussions, but the character had to drink half a well of water to be able to produce saliva, again.

My character sold tickets for people to watch it.

Kahlendrrari
2015-11-19, 04:42 AM
D&D/Pathfinder Spoon of Cinnamon dare....